RIM's BlackBerry overtakes Apple's iPhone in US browser usage

Comments

• Reply 21 of 114
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Wurm5150 View Post

My guess is iOS users are spending more time on apps than web browsing.. I know I do. Stuff I'm looking at are ones I could've used the web to look up but I'm using an app instead to get it (news, sports, fb, etc).

That was my exact thinking. I remember a while ago, someone said Apps were sanitizing the web because instead of people going to websites, they just open the app instead.

Blackberry isn't getting any more popular, although I know that's how the company will spin it. Blackberry has fewer apps so their users are forced to surf the web instead of opening the app.
  • Reply 22 of 114
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,728member
    For one thing it probably takes far longer to achieve anything on the web using a BB.
  • Reply 23 of 114
    The blackberry browser sucks - not seen the very latest version but on every Blackberry I owned and used browsing the Internet was damn painful and I never used it unless I was desperate. On the iPhone I can't believe how much I use the browser - in bed on an evening, waiting for appointments, cooking tea etc etc
  • Reply 24 of 114
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

He never said that.

http://blogs.techrepublic.com.com/hiner/?p=503

There is also a video in that link, too, showing Steve tout the Web 2.0 + AJAX capabilities, saying that this was how developers were going to develop apps for the iPhone. So the original poster was right, people just tend to conveniently forget this fact since the App Store has been the success it is.

edit: no link this time, but I would also like to add that Apple added the SDK after its developers started crying out that it's "revolutionary" web app model wasn't all it was cracked up to be.
  • Reply 25 of 114
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Chaseism View Post

That was my exact thinking. I remember a while ago, someone said Apps were sanitizing the web because instead of people going to websites, they just open the app instead.

Blackberry isn't getting any more popular, although I know that's how the company will spin it. Blackberry has fewer apps so their users are forced to surf the web instead of opening the app.

A lot of the apps on Blackberry are also simply just shortcut links to web sites too, so it's kind of deceiving.
  • Reply 26 of 114
    Whoops, sorry, that's probably my fault. My wife's company gave her a Blackberry and she couldn't work out how to use it, so I tried to make it work. Must have left that thing hooked up to the internet for the whole month without knowing it .....
  • Reply 27 of 114
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hittrj01 View Post

http://blogs.techrepublic.com.com/hiner/?p=503

There is also a video in that link, too, showing Steve tout the Web 2.0 + AJAX capabilities, saying that this was how developers were going to develop apps for the iPhone. So the original poster was right, people just tend to conveniently forget this fact since the App Store has been the success it is.

No, he’s not correct. He clearly stated, "[Jobs] said that third-party apps are unnecessary.” Note that just before pimping the usability of the Safari browser, one of the crowning features of iOS then and now, Jobs explained how Google Maps in the browser wasn’t nearly as good as the native Maps app they created using the Google Maps APIs, which is evidence that Apple knew that apps can offer a better experience than using a web browser. Not having an SDK available at the launch of iPhone OS v1.0 is not equatable to saying that 3rd party apps are unnecessary. Maybe some other platforms could have faired better had they released a good SDK. *cough* WebOS *cough*
  • Reply 28 of 114
    2 cents2 cents Posts: 307member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Wurm5150 View Post

My guess is iOS users are spending more time on apps than web browsing.. I know I do. Stuff I'm looking at are ones I could've used the web to look up but I'm using an app instead to get it (news, sports, fb, etc).

Bingo! NYT app, huffington post app, espn app, yelp, etc, ad nausium. That's all time that would be normally spent in a browser. And Jobs predicted and planned for this so all is going according to plan for apple. If anything, this is really bad news for google.
  • Reply 29 of 114
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

No, he?s not correct. He clearly stated, "[Jobs] said that third-party apps are unnecessary.? Note that just before pimping the usability of the Safari browser, one of the crowning features of iOS then and now, Jobs explained how Google Maps in the browser wasn?t nearly as good as the native Maps app they created using the Google Maps APIs, which is evidence that Apple knew that apps can offer a better experience than using a web browser. Not having an SDK available at the launch of iPhone OS v1.0 is not equatable to saying that 3rd party apps are unnecessary. Maybe some other platforms could have faired better had they released a good SDK. *cough* WebOS *cough*

He also said that they would be able to develop apps that worked as well as apps already on the phone, so he contradicted himself in the same speech! I love my Apple products and follow the company probably a little too closely, so don't take these posts as troll-ish, but Steve does have a way of bashing or dismissing something and then coming back with a better version of said thing a little while later. Maybe we should just expect Apple to release anything they specifically say they don't like. (Hello, bigger screen on the iPhone 5!!! )
  • Reply 30 of 114
    freerangefreerange Posts: 1,597member
    These stats are totally bogus. A third grader could figure out that there is no way these stats are accurate.
  • Reply 31 of 114
    bilbo63bilbo63 Posts: 285member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tardis View Post

Whoops, sorry, that's probably my fault. My wife's company gave her a Blackberry and she couldn't work out how to use it, so I tried to make it work. Must have left that thing hooked up to the internet for the whole month without knowing it .....

Maybe all of this "mobile web browsing" is coming out of RIM's campus in Waterloo... I'm just sayin'.
  • Reply 32 of 114
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hittrj01 View Post

He also said that they would be able to develop apps that worked as well as apps already on the phone, so he contradicted himself in the same speech! I love my Apple products and follow the company probably a little too closely, so don't take these posts as troll-ish, but Steve does have a way of bashing or dismissing something and then coming back with a better version of said thing a little while later. Maybe we should just expect Apple to release anything they specifically say they don't like. (Hello, bigger screen on the iPhone 5!!! )

That?s marketing and showmanship, but to say that they felt other apps were unnecessary or, as some suggest, that they scrapped together an SDK after the developers cried foul is patently false.
  • Reply 33 of 114
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

"We just got a big kickback from BlackBerry and Android," said StatCounter Chief Executive Aodhan Cullen.

Fixed it for ya there...
  • Reply 34 of 114
    onhkaonhka Posts: 1,025member
    After perusing StatCounter's web site and reading their full article on this report, I have a number of questions/issues.
    • StatCounter measured iOS usage. Do I conclude that it includes the iPhone and iPad?

• The web pages, 3 million sites, that they measure are not random but site specific. They are registered by the site owner.

• Since the release of the iPad, I have dramatically reduced my web browsing on the iPhone

• However, the more that I use the iPad the more I find I am using the apps and the less I and surfing on the web.

• And finally, never having had a RIM product, how is it that such a significant swing in usage can be accomplished with rather limited sales-to-date and availability of necessary products and software?

• Reply 35 of 114
    rob55rob55 Posts: 1,291member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by studiomusic View Post

Fixed it for ya there...

Given the dramatic difference in numbers compared to AdMob, I wouldn't be at all surprised. If anything, it does make the numbers seem suspect (perhaps on both sides).
  • Reply 36 of 114
    mariomario Posts: 348member
    I never browse internet on my iPhone, unless I absolutely must, because frankly the user experience is horrible even with mobile versions of websites on a screen of that small size (plus mobile safari does not have adblock which is essential tool, and that makes it kind of useless, since I don't want to download 1-2 MB of image ads each time I visit a page).

I get to data online though all the time, through dedicated apps. I do Google searches (often using voice recognition to find an address, or phone number etc). I do email etc but not through a browser.
  • Reply 37 of 114
    I don't buy it—it doesn't jive with statistics I've seen and it doesn't jive with statistics I can find. Will wait to see if others are reporting the same. My websites certainly aren't, even the business oriented ones, and it doesn't make sense.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mario View Post

I never browse internet on my iPhone, unless I absolutely must, because frankly the user experience is horrible even with mobile versions of websites on a screen of that small size (plus mobile safari does not have adblock which is essential tool, and that makes it kind of useless, since I don't want to download 1-2 MB of image ads each time I visit a page).

It isn't an ideal experience, sure, but the mobile browsing experience on iPhone is better than that of any other smartphone or similar device (unless you move into something like the iPad). Android can be very nice as well, depending on the device. RIM is far behind. Their newest device, based on Mobile Safari, is actually decent in terms of web browsing, but it is statistically insignificant for now. Browsing the web on the old-school BlackBerry is what sadness is made of.

And ads are nowhere near that large. Entire page loads are rarely ever that large, unless they are quite multimedia/Flash heavy.
  • Reply 38 of 114
    dreyfus2dreyfus2 Posts: 1,072member
    pls disregard
  • Reply 39 of 114
    NetMarketShare has iPhone at 0.85%, Blackberry 0.11%, iOS total at 1.37%, Android total at .31%.

iPhone growth and Android growth rates are about even, Blackberry growth is falling behind both of them. iOS is faster than Android given ipad and ipod touch usage. Symbian is not growing at all.
  • Reply 40 of 114
    I know my "internet" usage dropped substantially because of the apps that were available.

These are a small sampling of all websites that I used to visit using Safari, that I don't anymore:

nytimes.com

yelp.com

seamlessweb.com

imdb.com

rottentomatoes.com

appleinsider.com (thru newsreader)

etc...