RIM's BlackBerry overtakes Apple's iPhone in US browser usage

Comments

• Reply 61 of 114
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

This sounds like the basic 1px x 1px invisible/transparent GIF stuck on the web page. It's retrieved from the tracking company's site, so they just count how many times it's retrieved by each user agent. Similar to the way companies track emails to see if they are opened. (Another reason to set your mail client not to load images.) The problem with this is that it only tracks participating sites, which aren't necessarily representative. All it would mean is that, for those sites, which are unknown to us, there was x amount of traffic from individual browsers. Most likely, the browser traffic to "participating sites" in this case is overrepresented by RIM browser traffic, which could well be because iOS and Android offer apps to retrieve the same content, apps which don't hit the tracking pixel or where the user agent doesn't exactly match Safari for iPhone.

If they are going for the low-rent method of the 1px^2 GIF then what I started earlier likely wouldn?t be recorded. I assumed that these sites were giving them User Agent data as collected directly by each site?s servers.
  • Reply 62 of 114
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mstone View Post

How do you even begin to get 15 billion records into a database and which 3 million websites just give up their log files?

Tracking pixels, see above.
  • Reply 63 of 114
    Every iOS device was usable for internet activities straight out of the box. Not so with RIM's phones which are now only becoming usable for the internet. As people turnover their Blackberries for new models, that's automatically putting more internet capable devices (from a practical standpoint) out in the marketplace without RIM having to grow market share at all. My guess is that has something to do with RIM's increasing share of mobile internet demand over time.
  • Reply 64 of 114
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

If they are going for the low-rent method of the 1px^2 GIF then what I started earlier likely wouldn?t be recorded. I assumed that these sites were giving them User Agent data as collected directly by each site?s servers.

It's definitely that, or some variation on that theme.
  • Reply 65 of 114
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Wurm5150 View Post

My guess is iOS users are spending more time on apps than web browsing.. I know I do. Stuff I'm looking at are ones I could've used the web to look up but I'm using an app instead to get it (news, sports, fb, etc).

I agree 110%. Apps are way more efficient in consuming online data.
  • Reply 66 of 114
    Quote:

This sounds like the basic 1px x 1px invisible/transparent GIF stuck on the web page. It's retrieved from the tracking company's site, so they just count how many times it's retrieved by each user agent. Similar to the way companies track emails to see if they are opened. (Another reason to set your mail client not to load images.) The problem with this is that it only tracks participating sites, which aren't necessarily representative. All it would mean is that, for those sites, which are unknown to us, there was x amount of traffic from individual browsers. Most likely, the browser traffic to "participating sites" in this case is overrepresented by RIM browser traffic, which could well be because iOS and Android offer apps to retrieve the same content, apps which don't hit the tracking pixel.

Didn't even think of this before either, Apple has been tightening data collection. Newly implemented security measures could also account for some of this, a decrease in allowed data collection would also decrease visible footprint of a particular OS.

Give this a few days, someone will come out with their own statistics countering these and probably on the opposite side of the spectrum, then another countering that, and another, and so on. At the end of the day we probably will never get good clarification on this but someone will find a way to turn it into a negative ad campaign.
  • Reply 67 of 114
    chronsterchronster Posts: 1,894member
    aren't blackberries pretty much free with contract these days? By one, get 12 free?
  • Reply 68 of 114
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hezetation View Post

Give this a few days, someone will come out with their own statistics countering these and probably on the opposite side of the spectrum, then another countering that, and another, and so on.

I gave it 6 hours.
  • Reply 69 of 114
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:

Tracking pixels, see above.

I see. Are there really 3 million website that use StatCounter? I thought everyone used Omniture or Analytics. Which by the way I noticed that Apple uses Omniture and not Analytics. They may hate Adobe but they apparently hate Google more.
  • Reply 70 of 114
    Article says "U.S. mobile Internet usage". Per an ops post, StartCounter is monitoring 'specific mobile site usage'.

Clearly(I think), for 'internet' usage, there are many other 'internet' sites that are used by iOS or android devises; and as others have stated, apps falls into this category. So, this sounds very likely the only thing a boo-berry can do(some trash talk for BB fans).

It appears that StatCounter statistics are just a slice of general internet usage information.

There are lies, damnable lies, and statistics.
  • Reply 71 of 114
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mstone View Post

I see. Are there really 3 million website that use StatCounter? I thought everyone used Omniture or Analytics. Which by the way I noticed that Apple uses Omniture and not Analytics. They may hate Adobe but they apparently hate Google more.

As every right thinking person should.

They could be rounding up to the nearest 3 million. But, the main problem with these sorts of stats is that there's never any guarantee that any tracking service has a representative sample of web sites. So, while the stats may be interesting to individual sites, in aggregate they may be entirely meaningless, which these seem to be.
  • Reply 72 of 114
    Quote:

As every right thinking person should.

Here we go again...

• Reply 73 of 114
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Wurm5150 View Post

My guess is iOS users are spending more time on apps than web browsing.. I know I do. Stuff I'm looking at are ones I could've used the web to look up but I'm using an app instead to get it (news, sports, fb, etc).

My thoughts exactly. I use apps way more than the browser.
  • Reply 74 of 114
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AsianBob View Post

Here we go again...

Well, Google misses no opportunity to invade our privacy, so why should I miss an opportunity to point it out.
  • Reply 75 of 114
    I'm sorry but these stats just don't pass the smell test. Everywhere I go I see tons of iPhones and very few BBs. Anecdotal evidence aside . . .
  • Reply 76 of 114
    This is the perfect example of a stats company using an outdated methodology to collect its data then getting publicity from a big headline.

By every other measure on the planet, RIM's market share of web traffic is hardly worth counting, and when you consider the transactional value of web traffic, the measure that investment communities use, the ratio for iOS: Android: RIM: Nokia is around 100: 18: 3: 1.

*That* is why *web* developers focus on iOS. It makes them money and the other platforms don't. The value ratio for apps is waaaay higher still. Take a look at sales figures relating to iOS and Android apps. Lots of apps, not much money in everywhere but the iOS app store.
  • Reply 77 of 114
    Why does this have anything to do with developers? We need to write more Blackberry apps to bring their web usage stats down? Until Blackberry and Android create a market that works and come out with an SDK that is comparable to UIKit, there will be few apps on their platforms.
  • Reply 78 of 114
    I would be intersted to see how StatCounter derived at these numbers.

Was Using Apps actually browser usage as many involve internet connection and Data usage??

Was it calculated by Data Usage???

Was it merely a survey???
  • Reply 79 of 114
    2oh12oh1 Posts: 503member
    As others have said... it's because of apps. I constantly use apps for things that, even on my Mac, I would have used Safari for.

Want to check sports scores? APP.

Mass transit schedules? APP.

News? APP.

Email? APP.

Need a map? APP.

Facebook. APP.

Find a movie in theatres. APP.

Forget going out. Let's stay home and find a movie on Netflix instead. APP!

I almost never use Safari. It's not even on my home screen anymore.
  • Reply 80 of 114
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by 2oh1 View Post

As others have said... it's because of apps. I constantly use apps for things that, even on my Mac, I would have used Safari for.

Want to check sports scores? APP.

Mass transit schedules? APP.

News? APP.

Email? APP.

Need a map? APP.

Facebook. APP.

Find a movie in theatres. APP.

Forget going out. Let's stay home and find a movie on Netflix instead. APP!

I almost never use Safari. It's not even on my home screen anymore.

I'm beginning to see a pattern here. All of those types of activities whether on a web page or an app are generally provided by big time ecommerce sites which I doubt would use a third rate stats provider. They would be using the Big Time stats provider so that kind of high quality traffic is not going to be reported by StatCounter.