HTML5 on Android Samsung Galaxy Tab "disappointing" vs Apple iPad

Comments

• Reply 21 of 136
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by amature geek View Post

Meanwhile flash on Apple iPad is "disappointing" vs Android Samsung Galaxy Tab

iPad cant run flash, so says over lord jobs. Hey jobs maybe you can put Android on your next iPhone, maybe sales will pick up. LOL
  • Reply 22 of 136
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by some internet dude View Post

Yea, the Galaxy tab sucks that's why it sold 1 million in a month and still going. Poor Apple fanboys there world is coming to an end. Hey Jobs "Android" LOL, I know that word scares him.

Just numbers alone mean nothing. It just shows how moronic some tech companies and some people are. An overpriced and undersized tablet with an operating system that was designed for phones. A wonderful experience right? Do me a favour and stop smoking.
  • Reply 23 of 136
    macnycmacnyc Posts: 342member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

I think he makes a point. DED isn?t impartial in his writings. For instance he says the iPhone gets a ?perfect 100/100 [Acid3] score on the iPad? while I suppose it could be argued that 100 of 100 means perfect, for the Acid3 test perfect has another meaning, that is pixel perfect rendering which WebKit?s iOS has not yet achieved. It can?t pass the test without it, as well as completing it within a set timeframe not yet achievable on ARM?s low-power HW.

Overall, It?s a minor point and I don?t think having a passing score versus a 100/100 score or a score in the 90s doesn?t mean anything in the real world. By that same token, Google?s V8 JS engine is faster than WebKit?s but it?s not enough to make any defining difference in the user experience so it all comes down to which browser (or in this case mobile OS) you prefer.

He didn't make any point at all and after reading your post a couple of times I'm still not sure what your point is...
  • Reply 24 of 136
    macnycmacnyc Posts: 342member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Archos View Post

The problem with Orlando's comments is that he never makes a valid point, and instead chooses to simply make personal attacks that avoid any facts.

So when Orlando comments on a Dan article, I can ignore his comments as worthless trolling.

Especially when this article is pretty much just summarizing the findings of Sencha, which are linked in the article for independent reading, and doesn't inject the kind of "truth twisting" that trolls like Orlando are dashing to add to the comments.

very true...
  • Reply 25 of 136
    Quote:

Yea, the Galaxy tab sucks that's why it sold 1 million in a month and still going. Poor Apple fanboys there world is coming to an end. Hey Jobs "Android" LOL, I know that word scares him.

1 million people need to get their head checked. They got hosed. That figure's about right for how many units you can pinch off and push out to consumers before they wake up to the reality that it's just another subpar Apple device knockoff.

In any case, in its current form this lousy effort by Samsung (similar to H-Pee's) is done. Hopefully the next OS attempt by Google will suck a little less. But by then we'll have a new iPad, so none of this would have really mattered.
  • Reply 26 of 136
    The tab is juts another Android based tablet thrown onto the market by Sammy for a quick buck.
  • Reply 27 of 136
    archosarchos Posts: 152member
    Quote:

iPad cant run flash, so says over lord jobs. Hey jobs maybe you can put Android on your next iPhone, maybe sales will pick up. LOL

If you read the article, you realize that the Galaxy Tab doesn't run Flash well enough to matter either.

So Apple could have spent its resources trying to work with Adobe to deliver a Flash Player for iOS, sacrificing other features that are more useful and more likely to sell hardware, or it could have held up the iPad launch to wait around for Flash to ready itself, and either way given users a device that ran desktop-oriendted Flash content really poorly, inefficiently, and in a way that looks ugly, consumes the battery, and prevents users from ever getting open HTML5 content.

Or we could have the situation we have now, where the rampant success of the iOS is making Flash irrelevant in mobile devices and everyone is rushing to HTML5 for dynamic content and multimedia delivery.

I prefer what Apple decided to do. Sure, there are Flash things I'd like to be able to access, but they really aren't that important. Ridding the Web of Flash is preferable to playing back that content poorly, as Google is doing on Android devices.
  • Reply 28 of 136
    djsherlydjsherly Posts: 1,031member
    Just to add something of relevance to my comments, I am sure I've read that while the iPad scores 100/100, it's not a 'perfect' pass as Bilger puts it. The rendering also has to be perfect. Apparently, this is not the case according to the Playbook v iPad comparison put forth by RIM.

I don't have an iPad so I can't comment on this but there are other things about the article that irritate me, the primary one being the suggestion in the headline that the linked article pits the iPad against the Galaxy Tab. It most assuredly does not. It is for these reasons that I take everything Dilger writes with a healthy grain of Na.
  • Reply 29 of 136
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by djsherly View Post

Just to add something of relevance to my comments, I am sure I've read that while the iPad scores 100/100, it's not a 'perfect' pass as Bilger puts it. The rendering also has to be perfect. Apparently, this is not the case according to the Playbook v iPad comparison put forth by RIM.

I don't have an iPad so I can't comment on this but there are other things about the article that irritate me, the primary one being the suggestion in the headline that the linked article pits the iPad against the Galaxy Tab. It most assuredly does not. It is for these reasons that I take everything Dilger writes with a healthy grain of Na.

Sodium alone?
  • Reply 30 of 136
    Quote:

Taken from Computerworld, Matt Hamblen on 6 Dec:

"Samsung has sold 1 million Galaxy Tab tablet devices worldwide just two months after putting it on sale outside the U.S., and all four major wireless U.S. carriers starting sales in mid-November.

The larger 9.7-inch screen Apple iPad tablet hit the 1 million sold mark just one month after going on sale in April.

The Thanksgiving holiday likely helped spur sales in the US, although Samsung has not revealed sales figures for specific regions. A Samsung spokeswoman did confirm to eWeek magazine that it had reached the 1 million sales mark globally."

While the Tab has reached a milestone, it is doing so at a time when we typically see spikes in tech sales. The Tab is still relatively new and has an unknown reliability track sheet, not to mention we don't know how many people have returned "sold" Tabs. I would expect to see the spike in sales continue through mid-Jan, then fall once the iPad 2 and Playbook announce actual release dates between Mar and Apr.

If the Tab can maintain selling 500,000 units per month at the end of Q1 2011, then I think it can be considered a success.
  • Reply 31 of 136
    Quote:

I disagree. I think Flash on the iPad is great. There is no disappointment. Zero expectations, zero surprises. I have it in mind to use other ways of watching video, i.e. HTML5 or site-specific apps like the Youtube app.

With the Tab and every other Android device so far, you may expect to get Flash capability when you buy the device, but what you end up getting is a hobbled bunch of junk that works choppily half the time and not at all the rest of the time.

iPad wins in terms of Flash. There's no distortion of the facts there. A half-assed solution that is effectively useless is not a solution at all. It's far better not to make promises you can't keep.
  • Reply 32 of 136
    Quote:

The frash port from the early flash build on android actually runs better on the iPad than the current flash build runs on galaxy tab right now.

Hell android runs better on a 3 year old iPhone than it does on many of the value series handsets the carriers give away for free that run android.
  • Reply 33 of 136
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Povilas View Post

Sodium alone?

A grain of sodium, wouldn't be terribly healthy, it would burn going down far worse than any habanero or even a naga jalokia.
  • Reply 34 of 136
    djsherlydjsherly Posts: 1,031member
    Quote:

Sodium alone?

Sure. It's less painful than reading his fawning rubbish. Yet, like a train wreck, I can't help but look.
  • Reply 35 of 136
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by artificialintel View Post

I just wasted my time looking at some internet dude's posting history, and noticed that he always uses "there" instead of "their." Of course, everyone can type the wrong word from time to time and it's no worse than a minor distraction, but when you do it every time it gets really irritating.

Also, the Tab sold a million in two months, though I don't suppose there's much value in pointing that out to such a poster. Really, I just can't take the misuse of the possessive adjective. I know, I know, it's rife on message boards, especially amongst trolls, but I'm afraid that someday it will become such a widespread mistake that no one remembers how to do it right. See also "could care less" instead of "couldn't care less" as well as using "begs the question" as to mean "suggests the question" rather than to refer specifically to the logical fallacy of assuming the truth of a proposition when arguing for it.

In conclusion, some internet dude, please stop destroying English. It's a wonderfully flexible, rich, and deep language, which I invite you to learn.

Sid is daharder. His first post always attacks Steve Jobs, followed by other crap. Please daharder (aka Sid) please tell why you post on this site ?
  • Reply 36 of 136
    Quote:

They have nothing to show yes, but maybe they learned it from Apple don't you think? Maybe it's better to take timer and make it right than just spit crap every other day?

I too respect them for that, provided they don't come out with that windows garbage tablet, bet a proper well thought out web os tablet. Sadly so far the former seems to be the most probable scenario.
  • Reply 37 of 136
    Let me say something about the tab. Someone, apple, comes out with a great Market defining product and for a long time in tech terms, no one has anything really remotely close to it in so many respects. Then samsung throws in the only alternative pretty much, of course it's going to sell some units, but so what? My first mp3 player was a samsung, it s the gadget I used less than any other... The tab is at best an also run.
  • Reply 38 of 136
    enohpienohpi Posts: 103member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

We think it?s probably best to treat it as a phone with big pixels rather than a true tablet."

I don't understand this distinction. What is the difference between a large device running an OS designed for a phone and a "true tablet"?

What the heck is a true tablet? How are the true tablets distinguished from devices that are larger than a phone, but run a cellphone OS?
  • Reply 39 of 136
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Orlando View Post

I immediately assume that overall the Tab must actually be pretty good and a legitimate competitor to the iPad or Daniel Eran Dilger wouldn't have bothered writing this piece.

That is why advertisers are reluctant to name a competitor. It identifies to the customer the best alternatives.

Notice that no articles are written tearing down the $99 POS that they sell at Walgreens. But the Galaxy Tab seems to be an iPad alternative, judging from this story.
  • Reply 40 of 136
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SwissMac2 View Post

So, why launch an inferior Android Tablet before there is a suitable Android Tablet OS? Why launch a Tablet half as big as an iPad? Why charge the same as an iPad that beats it on so many counts?

To make lots of money. They have already broken 1,000,000 unit sales.