HTML5 on Android Samsung Galaxy Tab "disappointing" vs Apple iPad

Comments

• Reply 41 of 136
    I am a linux user but I will tell you guys a couple of thing:

I tried the Galaxy and it is awsome to take to the field. Believe it or not, I would buy the Galaxy instead of the Ipad anytime.

I never played with the IPad and will never will for my current work activities. You apple fan boys need to stop whining like babies and understand that what is right for you is not right for everyone else.

Your super-duper man needs to get over himself too and assume that he makes great mistakes during it's performances on stage. There is a huge market out there, in several industries for that matter, that it's still unexplored. I see and work in some of those markets everyday and when I saw the Galaxy I saw it by the ideal size of the product. I spoke with several people around and they agreed when they tried it.

The people that I work with don't have time to go a Starbucks every week.

Most off you you apple guys are a different type of crowd and Steve has you already. For some the other people like me that does not a give a slick about what happens in your apple world, the size matters and the IPad is too big to take to the field. History will tell If Steve was wise enough and wants to keep up with his statement when he said that tablets smaller than the IPad are dead on arrival.

An Ipad is great for indoor work, I am sure, but for outdoor work apple needs to catch up with the size. Iwill give you an example: I would need a bluetooth camera for me to use the Ipad to take photos. No way I will carry that monster on a my field visits. The galaxy has the right size, fits in my big pants pocket, has a screen big enough to make notes on the photos, and hass all the other functionality of the Ipad that I need. Sure, I pad has a gazillion more apps but the android platform is catching up. then again, how many of you use a gazillion of apps? I need about 10 to 20 apps and everything else is not needed, just too kill time. Since my schedule is pretty busy, I don't have mush time to kill.

Regards.
  • Reply 42 of 136
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mac.World View Post

Taken from Computerworld, Matt Hamblen on 6 Dec:

"Samsung has sold 1 million Galaxy Tab tablet devices worldwide just two months after putting it on sale outside the U.S., and all four major wireless U.S. carriers starting sales in mid-November.

The larger 9.7-inch screen Apple iPad tablet hit the 1 million sold mark just one month after going on sale in April.

The Thanksgiving holiday likely helped spur sales in the US, although Samsung has not revealed sales figures for specific regions. A Samsung spokeswoman did confirm to eWeek magazine that it had reached the 1 million sales mark globally."

You are correct that the iPad sold its first million in half the time of the Galaxy Tab - and the Galaxy Tab was released during the Christmas buying frenzy.

You also forgot to mention that Apple's supply was severely constrained - they could have sold a LOT MORE if they had had enough. I don't know about the Galaxy supply situation, but I don't recall anyone saying they couldn't find them - or any Tabs getting 2-3 times retail price on eBay.

The key will be longevity. There was a pent-up demand for Android tablets which is likely to be saturated quickly. Apple's iPad demand, OTOH, continues to grow as they work out supply problems. Let's see how sales hold up.
  • Reply 43 of 136
    One thing to keep in mind, the Tab's 600,000 sales in 1 month and 1,000,000 sales in 2 months is based on the 3G version, they have not released the wifi only version yet. Ipad's 1st month of sales was mostly the wifi only version. The Wi-Fi version of the iPad went on sale in the United States on April 3, 2010. The Wi-Fi + 3G version was released on April 30.
  • Reply 44 of 136
    mactelmactel Posts: 1,275member
    You can expect that all iPad competing products out there now were rushed to market. That will damage the images of those respective manufacturers for a bit but anti-Apple folks won't care too much. Samsung and others will bring-out their best wares Q1 or Q2 next year and the early adoptors will soon forget the ugliness they went through.

By then, of course, Apple will have its 2nd Generation iPad out and everyone will be playing catch-up once more.
  • Reply 45 of 136
    One of the best posts I have ever read anywhere on an Apple Fan site. A voice of reason.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by ribatejo View Post

I tried the Galaxy and it is awsome to take to the field. Believe it or not, I would buy the Galaxy instead of the Ipad anytime.

I never played with the IPad and will never will for my current work activities. You apple fan boys need to stop whining like babies and understand that what is right for you is not right for everyone else.

Your super-duper man needs to get over himself too and assume that he makes great mistakes during it's performances on stage. There is a huge market out there, in several industries for that matter, that it's still unexplored. I see and work in some of those markets everyday and when I saw the Galaxy I saw it by the ideal size of the product. I spoke with several people around and they agreed when they tried it.

Most off you you apple guys are a different type of crowd and Steve has you already. For some the other people like me that does not a give a slick about what happens in your apple world, the size matters and the IPad is too big to take to the field. History will tell If Steve was wise enough and wants to keep up with his statement when he said that tablets smaller than the IPad are dead on arrival.

An Ipad is great for indoor work, I am sure, but for outdoor work apple needs to catch up with the size. Iwill give you an example: I would need a bluetooth camera for me to use the Ipad to take photos. No way I will carry that monster on a my field visits. The galaxy has the right size, fits in my big pants pocket, has a screen big enough to make notes on the photos, and hass all the other functionality of the Ipad that I need. Sure, I pad has a gazillion more apps but the android platform is catching up. then again, how many of you use a gazillion of apps? I need about 10 to 20 apps and everything else is not needed, just too kill time. Since my schedule is pretty busy, I don't have mush time to kill.

Regards.

• Reply 46 of 136
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacTel View Post

You can expect that all iPad competing products out there now were rushed to market. That will damage the images of those respective manufacturers for a bit but anti-Apple folks won't care too much. Samsung and others will bring-out their best wares Q1 or Q2 next year and the early adoptors will soon forget the ugliness they went through.

By then, of course, Apple will have its 2nd Generation iPad out and everyone will be playing catch-up once more.

I'm trying to think of new things that might be included in the Ipad 2: Front and back cameras, higher ram? (512Mb),Dual Core Cortex A9 chip? (Apple's A5), higher resolution screen? (1280x960, this seems to be the only feasible 4:3 resolution. Even 2048x1536(264 ppi), won't be enough for a "retina" display).

The Samsung Tab, already has front and back cameras and 512Mb ram, the Motorola tablet that Andy Rubin showed at the D conference has Nvidia Tegra2 chip (Dual Core Cortex A9) and I've seen rumors of some tablets having 1280x720 (16:9) screen for a 720p HD screen.
  • Reply 47 of 136
    "when the Android browser gets ready to animate anything ? whether it?s a CSS animation or a plain old page scroll ? it shifts from high-quality to low-quality display mode. In low-quality mode, it turns off anti-aliasing (presumably on the theory that since things are moving, you won?t notice the quality degradation.) This would be less noticeable on a smaller device. But on the 7″ Galaxy Tab, the resulting pixelation is striking, particularly since it switches to low-quality mode as soon as it detects a touch start event (but before anything moves)."

Epic fail.
  • Reply 48 of 136
    Samsung made a third rate product, anyone surprised?
  • Reply 49 of 136
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sciwiz View Post

The Samsung Tab, already has front and back cameras and 512Mb ram, the Motorola tablet that Andy Rubin showed at the D conference has Nvidia Tegra2 chip (Dual Core Cortex A9) and I've seen rumors of some tablets having 1280x720 (16:9) screen for a 720p HD screen.

All those guys are trying their best to catch up to the iPad Mark I, but by the time they get anything to meet the challenge, the iPad II will be announced.

It must suck to be them.
  • Reply 50 of 136
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ex_Spy_Guy View Post

The frash port from the early flash build on android actually runs better on the iPad than the current flash build runs on galaxy tab right now.

Hell android runs better on a 3 year old iPhone than it does on many of the value series handsets the carriers give away for free that run android.

Frash is interesting because it proves one of Jobs assertions: battery life on my ipad went from 90% to 25% in 40 minutes.

Frash also caused some stability issues, so Frash went in the Trash.
  • Reply 51 of 136
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ribatejo View Post

Regards.

So since you've never tried an ipad, that makes your opinion useless.
  • Reply 52 of 136
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by enohpI View Post

All those guys are trying their best to catch up to the iPad Mark I, but by the time they get anything to meet the challenge, the iPad II will be announced.

It must suck to be them.

Thanks for the wonderful insight.
  • Reply 53 of 136
    tzeshantzeshan Posts: 2,351member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

1 million people need to get their head checked. They got hosed. That figure's about right for how many units you can pinch off and push out to consumers before they wake up to the reality that it's just another subpar Apple device knockoff.

In any case, in its current form this lousy effort by Samsung (similar to H-Pee's) is done. Hopefully the next OS attempt by Google will suck a little less. But by then we'll have a new iPad, so none of this would have really mattered.

You have touched a fundamental difference between Apple and other hardware companies. Apple let customers play with its hardware before they decide to buy it. The Apple Store reports that 50% of Mac buyers have not used a Mac before.

The other hardware companies, otoh, do not let the customer play with their product. Since high tech products are very complicated, this is deceptive. Even auto dealers let the customer test drive first. Is this the reason why Samsung use the cell phone carrier to sell the Galaxy Tab?
  • Reply 54 of 136
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tzeshan View Post

You have touched a fundamental difference between Apple and other hardware companies. Apple let customers play with its hardware before they decide to buy it. The Apple Store reports that 50% of Mac buyers have not used a Mac before.

The other hardware companies, otoh, do not let the customer play with their product. Since high tech products are very complicated, this is deceptive. Even auto dealers let the customer test drive first. Is this the reason why Samsung use the cell phone carrier to sell the Galaxy Tab?

Umm, you know you could walk into the cell phone stores and play with the device, right?
  • Reply 55 of 136
    Okay, so we all know Dilger is an Apple fan and not Walter Cronkite. This is a site frequented by Apple fans, right? So why freak out whenever he puts up an article which touts Apple and points out the weaknesses of the competition? I need my tech reading leavened with a little boosterism. So shoot me.
  • Reply 56 of 136
    tzeshantzeshan Posts: 2,351member
    Quote:

Umm, you know you could walk into the cell phone stores and play with the device, right?

Yes, only the iPhone at AT&T store.
  • Reply 57 of 136
    Quote:

Thanks for the wonderful insight.

I agree, but I fear iPad "Mark II" might not be the big evolution that will keep the competition well behind. It is more likely to be an incremental update that will just keep the competition from getting ahead. "Mark III" might be the big jump you're thinking of. But I really hope Apple is working on the next big thing and not just elaborating on this year's big thing.
  • Reply 58 of 136
    gqbgqb Posts: 1,934member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by some internet dude View Post

iPad cant run flash, so says over lord jobs. Hey jobs maybe you can put Android on your next iPhone, maybe sales will pick up. LOL

HINT...

As soon as one resorts to ad hominem attacks, whatever point you have is immediately invalidated.
  • Reply 59 of 136
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by GQB View Post

HINT...

As soon as one resorts to ad hominem attacks, whatever point you have is immediately invalidated.

You are assuming he knows what that means . . . "LOL."
  • Reply 60 of 136
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tzeshan View Post

Yes, only the iPhone at AT&T store.

Please wander into Verizon, Sprint or T-Mobile stores to expand your horizons.