The AI Religion Thread

1235»

Comments

• Reply 81 of 88
    brbr Posts: 8,395member
    [quote]Originally posted by groverat:

<strong>Since this happened in my city I've been asking around.

This church is self-described "fundamentalist" and "old-fashioned". Apparently beatings aren't uncommon there and the stick used to beat the crap out of this boy is called "The Rod", a not-so-clever allusion to:

Proverbs 13:24

He that spareth his rod hateth his son: but he that loveth him chasteneth him betimes.

This is the crap I was talking about in the Dirty Bomb Scare thread, THIS is the crap fundamentalism breeds.</strong><hr></blockquote>

And this is exactly the crap kind of culture that does not deserve a place on this planet.
  • Reply 82 of 88
    [quote]Originally posted by BR:

<strong>

I'm talking about today. Look, don't get me wrong. I hate christianity just as much as any other religion. Evils have been committed by all. However, let's talk about the here and now because that is what matters.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Wow. Even I don't hate organized religion that much. Well, I thought what had happen with Catholic Church was here and now, and it had something to do about comparative religion. One's faith compare to the other. But you have something specific in mind. Please tell me what it is?
  • Reply 83 of 88

<strong>

Of course. I don't see where I would have made you think otherwise. I never claimed that we are perfect--just that at this point in time we are better. Yes, atrocities have been committed by everyone. I understand that. However, again let's focus on the here and now.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Okay. How are we better?
  • Reply 84 of 88
    [quote]Originally posted by Mike Ghost:

<strong>

Okay. How are we better?</strong><hr></blockquote>

Are you kidding me? Do you honestly believe that Western culture is no better than the oppressive intolerant culture of much of the Middle East? Come on. I can't believe that you don't know how we are better.
  • Reply 85 of 88
    Originally posted by BR

[quote] Are you kidding me? Do you honestly believe that Western culture is no better than the oppressive intolerant culture of much of the Middle East? Come on. I can't believe that you don't know how we are better. <hr></blockquote>

Western / Middle Eastern cultures are not homogenious.

Better is subjective, what are your criteria?

Values change rapidly, think McCarthy, think Racial Segregation think genocide of Native Americans.

A danger apparant in your posts is that the certainty with which you believe your superiority and way in which you dehumanise 'the other' is fundamentalist. Can't you hear Al Quaida members speaking your words to non partisan Muslims about the West?
  • Reply 86 of 88
    [quote]Originally posted by Zarathustra:

<strong>Originally posted by BR

Western / Middle Eastern cultures are not homogenious.

Better is subjective, what are your criteria?<hr></blockquote>

Oh I don't know. Let's start with 80% of women in Egypt have their genitalia mutilated. How about the lack of rights of women in the middle east? Hmmm...ya, that's a start.

[quote]

Values change rapidly, think McCarthy, think Racial Segregation think genocide of Native Americans.

<hr></blockquote>

Agreed agreed agreed. I get that. Why do people have a hard time reading the part about us not being perfect and us committing atrocities in our past? I've conceded all those points now get over it.

[quote]A danger apparant in your posts is that the certainty with which you believe your superiority and way in which you dehumanise 'the other' is fundamentalist.<hr></blockquote>

Not really. It's called being a realist. People should try it sometime. When I see one culture that provides many basic human freedoms and is struggling down the long road to true equality and freedom and the other culture that is oppressing women and basking in religious intolerance, I feel safe making a judgement call. Stop being so politically correct.

[quote]Can't you hear Al Quaida members speaking your words to non partisan Muslims about the West?</strong><hr></blockquote>

Perhaps. However, just because one group can take words that reflect reality and twist it to mask said reality doesn't negate the meaning of twice said words.
  • Reply 87 of 88

<strong>

Are you kidding me? Do you honestly believe that Western culture is no better than the oppressive intolerant culture of much of the Middle East? Come on. I can't believe that you don't know how we are better.</strong><hr></blockquote>

I didn?t say the Western culture wasn?t better than the Middle East. I just ask ?How are we better?? What would say if I did some research and found out that there is more abuse to women in US than, lets say, Canada, or some of the European countries. Would you agree that US has away to go before we can escape our own atrocities from the past? And what about China, or North Korea? Or even Africa? Would you say that is possible that the women in Africa, maybe like Somalia, have treated women worst than the Middle East? How would you bring change about? We launch our own campaigned in Afghanistan hoping to make real changes in their lives, but good chances in the back hills changes won?t take place for years.
  • Reply 88 of 88
    [quote]Originally posted by Mike Ghost:

<strong>

I didn?t say the Western culture wasn?t better than the Middle East. I just ask ?How are we better?? What would say if I did some research and found out that there is more abuse to women in US than, lets say, Canada, or some of the European countries. Would you agree that US has away to go before we can escape our own atrocities from the past? And what about China, or North Korea? Or even Africa? Would you say that is possible that the women in Africa, maybe like Somalia, have treated women worst than the Middle East? How would you bring change about? We launch our own campaigned in Afghanistan hoping to make real changes in their lives, but good chances in the back hills changes won?t take place for years.</strong><hr></blockquote>

If Canada abuses fewer women per capita than the US, well, they have a leg up on us. Again, I've said it plenty of times: we aren't perfect.

To bring about change, it's very simple: Marshall plans for all.