Apple removes controversial WikiLeaks software from iPhone App Store

123457»

Comments

• Reply 121 of 128
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Hudson1 View Post

I'd like to see someone write an App designed to access the confidential rape charge documents around Assange. Funny how his lawyers are all crying foul over those getting out in the wild.

That would be like turn the table around & eat your own shit!
  • Reply 122 of 128
    benicebenice Posts: 382member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TalkingNewMedia View Post

You guys are jumping to some terrible conclusions here.

This app is not from WikiLeaks, it is an app from a guy trying to take advantage of material that is available for free on the Internet. It would be the equivalent of someone charging for an app that gives you content from the NYT and then calling it a NYT app -- that is a clear violation of Apple's terms, and it should be.

I support WikiLeaks, but this incident is about someone capitalizing on the situation. If this app was from WikiLeaks themselves, that would be a different matter.

It's not equivalent when the example you have cited isn't the same thing. NYT material remains under their copyright so it can't be resold to anyone. The material from Wikileaks however appears to take on something of a creative commons license as they encourage it to be disseminated as widely as possible. Also Wikileaks have actively been involved in data development tools and apps to get information out, which is again something NYT would not allow.
  • Reply 123 of 128
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Spiffy1 View Post

WikiLeaks and their self-promoting (Australian) leader are hurting American interests by releasing information that has done nothing but put the lives of American service-people and the foreign nationals who help the U.S. at risk. The information released has not led to any major revelations about a damm thing.

It would be good of you to cite a single release which you think puts lives at risk.

Wikileaks has been characterised as leaking huge quantities of documents, but the truth is that only a handful have been published. And these have been republished by the Guardian and the New York Times and others. It appears that some care has been taken to avoid anyone coming to harm.

This is responsible journalism, which should have been performed by the press. But of late, the press has been too cowardly to challenge politicians on things that matter.

The real harm caused by Wikileaks is only to the reputations of politicians who have been revealed to be lying, cheating, and generally eager to ride roughshod over international law.

It's the JOB of the press to reveal this stuff so thank goodness someone is doing it. We know these stories *are* significant, because they have been making the front pages for weeks.

Of course some people prefer the Fox News interpretation of world events. All barked down from its (Australian) leader.

C.
  • Reply 124 of 128
    successsuccess Posts: 1,040member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Spiffy1 View Post

WikiLeaks and their self-promoting (Australian) leader are hurting American interests by releasing information that has done nothing but put the lives of American service-people and the foreign nationals who help the U.S. at risk.

Oh the irony. Americans were killed in the WTC attacks by their own "leaders".

Oh wait...you still believe brown Muslim guys brought down the WTC.
  • Reply 125 of 128
    chronsterchronster Posts: 1,894member
    Assange works for Israel. The purpose of this release is to bring us into war with Iran.
  • Reply 126 of 128
    chronsterchronster Posts: 1,894member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by success View Post

Oh the irony. Americans were killed in the WTC attacks by their own "leaders".

Oh wait...you still believe brown Muslim guys brought down the WTC.

oh of course! In their training with the highly advanced Al-Qaeda (pronounced Al CIA duh) they learned how to make a building(WTC7) implode just by crashing a plane into the taller building next to it. They learned how to make it look like a controlled demolition!
  • Reply 127 of 128
    Sometimes it's difficult running a technology company, as I do. Especially when I'm asked to make a call as to which phones my entire workforce should use this coming year.

Android or IPhone? ....hmmmmmm. I've been trawling forums such as this one for sometime looking for advice, hear of experiences etc.

Thanks Apple, you've made the decision for me. I was looking to deploy an open platform based device accross my workforce, and since Apple/IPhone is no longer 'open' then it's not the kind of company my company will ever use as long as I have the final say.
  • Reply 128 of 128
    nhtnht Posts: 4,522member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SlipSlap View Post

Sometimes it's difficult running a technology company, as I do. Especially when I'm asked to make a call as to which phones my entire workforce should use this coming year.

Android or IPhone? ....hmmmmmm. I've been trawling forums such as this one for sometime looking for advice, hear of experiences etc.

Thanks Apple, you've made the decision for me. I was looking to deploy an open platform based device accross my workforce, and since Apple/IPhone is no longer 'open' then it's not the kind of company my company will ever use as long as I have the final say.

Right, someone that runs a tech company trawls forums for a major buy decision.

On the internet everyone is a CEO.