• Reply 81 of 135
    macrulezmacrulez Posts: 2,455member

deleted

• Reply 82 of 135
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by a_greer View Post

OK Apple People, lets not gloat yet...

Lets tweak that headline for this time in 2008

Don't write off a Google product at 1.0.

You mean like Wave, Orkut or Buzz?
  • Reply 83 of 135
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacRulez View Post

You're willing to go on record here as believing that the iPhone was the first phone to have apps?

An unexpected bravery....

You know, you're just making yourself look foolish and ignorant. No rational, honest, intelligent person disputes the fact that Apple totally revolutionized the smartphone landscape, and that a big part of that was by revolutionizing the number and scope of apps available to users, as well as their distribution.
  • Reply 84 of 135
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Yikes. I don't think you've ever used iTunes. No way.

You are right, I don't, but my parents do, and Safari popped up on the desktop, even though I've told it no every time.

You are forced to upgrade itunes if you want to upgrade your i device.

Perhaps it isn't "slow", but compared to everything else on that computer, it is slow as hell.
  • Reply 85 of 135
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by eyepad View Post

I want to know how people "save" money with this set up.

Maybe I am missing something, but cable in my area is around $80-$99 a month for all the channels and an HD DVR.

I watch TV for 2-4 hours each night after work. If I were to rent 1/2Hr. sit-com shows, say 3-4 a night, I would be spending $3-$4 a day for 30 days, that's $90-$120 a month, and that is without watching a single movie. Add in a Netflix acct for an additional $8 a month and now we are near $100-$130 a month.

Maybe if you hardly watch TV, you could save, but maybe someone can explain how this set up "saves" anything at all? Comcast in my area will give you a HD DVR, 10+MBs cable internet and a phone for $99 a month. (I don't even count the phone, its useless since I have a cell phone)

I see this as a money sink. You can't even DVR it and watch it again later.

Another part that sucks, I can't even put my own DVD movies (that I Paid for) into iTunes so I can stream those thru Apple TV. I can understand copyrights not wanting me sharing or copying the dvd, but if I own it, I should be allowed to add it to my computer for personal viewing.

It's easy to cut that cable bill. In my off time this summer I tried a little experiment to see how long I could go without cable or to determine how little I needed it. I went a 5 week span watching a total of ten hours of cable. I relied heavily on Netflix for daily streaming of older shows I never got around to watching and ordering the blurays of newer shows. I did torrent a few shows but that was pretty much my television viewing. I found that most of the stuff I watched on TV was junk and now live without it. I haven't cut cable as I signed a contract two years ago but as soon as my contract is up it's a wrap.

As far as streaming DVDs, I just used handbrake to rip them and add them to iTunes. I don't even like using physical media anymore. It's far too inconvenient.
  • Reply 86 of 135
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Fast Fred 1 View Post

Netscape huh, I was using CompuServe .....then I downloaded Netscape to my Mac II using my trusty 1440 modem

took half the night, kept getting up to see if it finished....wow thought I landed on the moon when it did never went back to sleep. This tech is so much fun......... Just think I could be reading a book right now.

Netscape, huh, I remember using eWorld on my Performa and trying to use this program called Mosaic, but couldn't find much to look at and went back to gopher.
  • Reply 87 of 135
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Got an Apple TV for my elderly parents for Christmas.

Plugged it in. Connected an HDMI cable. Automatically discovered WiFi. Told me to turn on home sharing in iTunes. Did that. All music photos and videos on my Dad's Mini now available for family to enjoy on the big screen or stereo speakers. Netflix streaming available after entering email and password.

My Dad can access all content with ease, internet and locally, and he's no tech guy. They couldn't be more delighted. The family sat around looking at pictures of ourselves as babies while the Apple TV gave us the Ken Burns slide show and classical music played (both easily toggled in preferences).

These are the people that tech assholes despise as being "stupid" for not being willing to hack their devices or jump through "easy" hoops to set up the system. This is the actual utility that I'm suppose to despise Apple for providing, because they've "dumbed down" things in a manner that insults the sensibilities of puffed up little geeks.

Fuck the rule of smug IT jerkoffs. There are millions and millions of people that not only don't have the faintest idea what's going on with this shit, they really don't want to have to learn. And they're not all "old people", and they certainly aren't stupid or clueless. They just have better things to do with their time than make a hobby out of their enabling devices.

I just couldn't have more contempt for the blithering gear heads that imagine their interests are actually qualities of character, and that to fail to share their interests betrays some kind of failing. They would gladly deny people like my parents the opportunity to enjoy a little tech magic in their lives.

And Google is their king, which is why Google may have some real problems when it comes to selling anything but services and phones-- and they only got phones right because they purchased an up and running turn key operation. Google TV is the perfect expression of a geek driven, engineering first company. Yes, it does a great deal more than the Apple TV, but what use is that if accessing that additional functionality is a headache inducing pain in the ass?

And don't tell me it's not, that it's easy, that anyone with half a wit about them could master it with no problem, because that's a fucking lie endlessly repeated by assholes that think what they know are the only things worth knowing.

Google, in effect, hates my parents or anyone that doesn't have real enthusiasm for their "smart" way of doing things, because such people are superfluous in the world they envision. Apple does not hate my parents, and does not seek to isolate and shame the non-enthusiast. It's that simple.
  • Reply 88 of 135
    wovelwovel Posts: 956member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by whoismoses View Post

I did the same thing, however I have found some serious flaws with the AppleTV. I am sure if it was made by anyone else other than Apple it would have also fallen flat.

1) Lack of TV shows to rent.

2) Can't stream divx/xvid from PC.

3) Rented movies download slow.

4) No Hulu Plus!

I bought the AppleTV on launch day like I did the iPad.

I also have the Sony Media Player and it does all for only $20 more, plus AmazonVOD has a ton of content.

1 -Plenty of TV shows, but I agree the networks need to step up.

2 - There are some ways around this now with airplay

3 - HD Movies start playing in under 45 seconds 100% of the time for me. Get some real Internet

4 - I imagine this is coming soon.
  • Reply 89 of 135
    kibitzerkibitzer Posts: 1,114member
    @addabox - Great points, but just wish you'd tone down the language a bit. The cussing doesn't help your cause.
  • Reply 90 of 135
    addabox, then there are those people who don't like the fact that Steve Jobs can be such a douche bag. Telling people "You're holding it wrong" or flat out denying issues exists for months isn't what I expect from a company who sells "premium" products.

There was no good reason provided to shut out Google Voice from the iphone, and their reply of "We are studying it" is complete crap, as it was already approved, then took 18 months for them to put it back in. So I don't like being held hostage to that sort of indecisiveness.

But that's my own personal opinion. I also think a device that cannot display 1080p is quite outdated in my opinion too.

Oh, and btw, who setup his wifi access point and all that itunes/atv for them? Sounds like you did.
  • Reply 91 of 135
    macrulezmacrulez Posts: 2,455member

deleted

• Reply 92 of 135
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Kibitzer View Post

@addabox - Great points, but just wish you'd tone down the language a bit. The cussing doesn't help your cause.

Actually, I don't think it would have been possible for him to fully express his feelings on this issue without the "cussing", making it entirely appropriate.
  • Reply 93 of 135
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by addabox View Post

Got an Apple TV for my elderly parents for Christmas.

Plugged it in. Connected an HDMI cable. Automatically discovered WiFi. Told me to turn on home sharing in iTunes. Did that. All music photos and videos on my Dad's Mini now available for family to enjoy on the big screen or stereo speakers. Netflix streaming available after entering email and password.

My Dad can access all content with ease, internet and locally, and he's no tech guy. They couldn't be more delighted. The family sat around looking at pictures of ourselves as babies while the Apple TV gave us the Ken Burns slide show and classical music played (both easily toggled in preferences).

These are the people that tech assholes despise as being "stupid" for not being willing to hack their devices or jump through "easy" hoops to set up the system. This is the actual utility that I'm suppose to despise Apple for providing, because they've "dumbed down" things in a manner that insults the sensibilities of puffed up little geeks.

Fuck the rule of smug IT jerkoffs. There are millions and millions of people that not only don't have the faintest idea what's going on with this shit, they really don't want to have to learn. And they're not all "old people", and they certainly aren't stupid or clueless. They just have better things to do with their time than make a hobby out of their enabling devices.

I just couldn't have more contempt for the blithering gear heads that imagine their interests are actually qualities of character, and that to fail to share their interests betrays some kind of failing. They would gladly deny people like my parents the opportunity to enjoy a little tech magic in their lives.

And Google is their king, which is why Google may have some real problems when it comes to selling anything but services and phones-- and they only got phones right because they purchased an up and running turn key operation. Google TV is the perfect expression of a geek driven, engineering first company. Yes, it does a great deal more than the Apple TV, but what use is that if accessing that additional functionality is a headache inducing pain in the ass?

And don't tell me it's not, that it's easy, that anyone with half a wit about them could master it with no problem, because that's a fucking lie endlessly repeated by assholes that think what they know are the only things worth knowing.

Google, in effect, hates my parents or anyone that doesn't have real enthusiasm for their "smart" way of doing things, because such people are superfluous in the world they envision. Apple does not hate my parents, and does not seek to isolate and shame the non-enthusiast. It's that simple.

+++ QFT

You just described about 95% of the people. They could care less about how technology works (Cars; TVs; Phones, etc.). They just want benefit with no fuss!

A single mom with 3 teen-age kids; elderly parents (who've forgotten more than we'll ever know) A dad working two jobs; those kids, themselves -- sometimes, for relaxation, they just want to sit back and be entertained -- to watch without participating (or thinking about how it works).

It's not that these people can't figure out the technical details, they just don't want to -- they have better thugs to do with their time!
  • Reply 94 of 135
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sprockkets View Post

addabox, then there are those people who don't like the fact that Steve Jobs can be such a douche bag. Telling people "You're holding it wrong" ...

The people who think SJ is a "douche bag" are exactly the people he's talking about. And, BTW, SJ never said the words you've attributed to him as a quote.
  • Reply 95 of 135
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacRulez View Post

In the confines of this forum, you're absolutely correct.

Uh, no, you definitely need to get out of your bubble a little more often.
  • Reply 96 of 135
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

The people who think SJ is a "douche bag" are exactly the people he's talking about. And, BTW, SJ never said the words you've attributed to him as a quote.

Right. I'm sure all those people who were pissed that their time machine crapped out at 18 months with no acknowledgment, or those with flickering displays, were SJ haters.

Sure the images could have been faked, but OK, he said "Just avoid holding it that way."

http://www.engadget.com/2010/06/24/a...re-holding-th/

Whether or not the issue is real isn't the problem; its how they addressed it. Oh, OK, he did allow people to return the phone or get free bumpers. What a guy.
  • Reply 97 of 135
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

+++ QFT

You just described about 95% of the people. They could care less about how technology works (Cars; TVs; Phones, etc.). They just want benefit with no fuss!

A single mom with 3 teen-age kids; elderly parents (who've forgotten more than we'll ever know) A dad working two jobs; those kids, themselves -- sometimes, for relaxation, they just want to sit back and be entertained -- to watch without participating (or thinking about how it works).

It's not that these people can't figure out the technical details, they just don't want to -- they have better thugs to do with their time!

Are these the same people who have no patience to RTFM and then complain when something doesn't work then return the product back to the store? Happens to not be just for electronics either.

I mean, even I had to read the only manual available on the ipod touch to figure out how to properly use mobile safari.
  • Reply 98 of 135
    Quote:

Right. I'm sure all those people who were pissed that their time machine crapped out at 18 months with no acknowledgment, or those with flickering displays, were SJ haters.

Sure the images could have been faked, but OK, he said "Just avoid holding it that way."

http://www.engadget.com/2010/06/24/a...re-holding-th/

Whether or not the issue is real isn't the problem; its how they addressed it. Oh, OK, he did allow people to return the phone or get free bumpers. What a guy.

Guess what, most people never think about SJ, one way or the other. It's the people addabox was talking about who seem to have the obsessive hatred of him that you do. Most likely because they feel their sense of self-worth is threatened in some way.
  • Reply 99 of 135
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

Guess what, most people never think about SJ, one way or the other. It's the people addabox was talking about who seem to have the obsessive hatred of him that you do. Most likely because they feel their sense of self-worth is threatened in some way.

When you claim "It just works" and it doesn't, you bring that "hate" on yourself.

Apple is just another company making money, lots of it for that matter. And all the shit they did in 2009 that I mentioned did NOT have to happen.

And if it is true, I'm sure those 95% of people mentioned don't care if the white button doesn't perfectly match the white phone.

Oh, I guess you didn't reply back about the link. Nailed you.
  • Reply 100 of 135
    Quote:

... Oh, I guess you didn't reply back about the link. Nailed you.

Well, when even you think the images could have been faked, what's to reply to?