Apple expected to hold event by Valentine's Day to announce Verizon iPhone

Comments

• Reply 21 of 74
    hirohiro Posts: 2,663member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by benny-boy View Post

This is a bit off topic, but I recently read (either here or macrumors) a rumor about "NFL Sunday Ticket" appearing in some code buried in the AppleTV, and the timing "pre-valentines day" makes me think "post-superbowl" which is Feb 6th this year. This would be the perfect time to announce this, to generate buzz prior to any new iPads (Verizon has an official relationship with the NFL, as it happens). If it is going to happen, at least this would be the earliest it could be announced, and the fall ipod/appleTV event would be too late to announce such an all-you-can-eat pass for the NFL.

This would be a killer-app for the AppleTV, and would enable a ton of cord-cutting with cable companies. The only thing that ever makes me want to subscribe to cable is NFL, maybe ESPN (a disney property).

Just though I'd drool about that publicly.

PS -- that would make a kickass Superbowl advertisement!

wow, did you lose the bubble on that one.

What you read was DirecTV did a survey of current subscribers and one of the things asked about was how much would they pay for a digital only version of NFL Sunday Ticket. It was mentioned in the survey that AppleTV was one of the display devices that could be used with the digital only service. That was all. A pretty pedestrian set of mini factoids.

From that all kinds of crazy ideas started to flow from folks who obviously never saw the survey and didn't actually read the posts about the survey from those that took it. It was auto-out-of-control rumor generation that fed upon itself with no basis in reality other than the above. Pretty standard for AI actually.
  • Reply 22 of 74
    Guys, I just got the first invite to this thing.

I'm told that alternate taglines were as follows.

"Can you shut up now? Good."

"How many rumors does it take to get to the center of the truth?"

"Not coming out until June. Duh."
  • Reply 23 of 74
    mactelmactel Posts: 1,275member
    The sooner the better. I'm sure a Verizon announcement would not be the only thing to warrant a special event in January. Maybe the next gen iPad will show up too along with updated AppleTV firmware to give it access to the app store plus more content.
  • Reply 24 of 74
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by drrjv View Post

Try this test:

Check your data throughput with Speedtest.net and then have one of your friends with a Verizon phone check their speed (Speedtest runs under Android and iPhone).

Bet ATT will be 2-4 times faster than Verizon. I usually get between 1.5 and 2.0 Mbps whereas Verizon is usually 0.4 to 0.7 Mbps.

Bottom line: I'm sticking with ATT.

If you actually can get 3G with Att BAM!
  • Reply 25 of 74
    ....however, AT&T has good coverage/speed where I live (Chicago area). My Verizon friends have slower access here....and no concurrent voice/data. Also, whenever we meet at the popular restaurant chains / coffee bars, I get free wifi....they do not.
  • Reply 26 of 74
    iliveriliver Posts: 299member
    So glad Apple is gonna give some big love to V on VD ay.
  • Reply 27 of 74
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iLiver View Post

So glad Apple is gonna give some big love to V on VD ay.

Yes, considering that Apple considers mobile operators as big dumb pipes, it's not surprising at all at what sort of action that V will get from A on VDay.
  • Reply 28 of 74
    docno42docno42 Posts: 3,759member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by OllieWallieWhiskers View Post

no need to worry about AT&T... they will reach record profits from early termination fees.

I'm going to go out on a very small branch and predict that there won't be near as much movement from AT&T as is currently being hyped.

Esp. when Verizon's network facepalms as hard or harder than AT&T's since as CDMA goes farther than GSM, there are fewer towers and thus less total aggregate bandwidth. Not a big deal for voice, but a huge deal for data.
  • Reply 29 of 74
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by noexpectations View Post

....however, AT&T has good coverage/speed where I live (Chicago area). My Verizon friends have slower access here....and no concurrent voice/data. Also, whenever we meet at the popular restaurant chains / coffee bars, I get free wifi....they do not.

....sir. You're alittle behind the times. 15000 wifi hotspots verizon has in the untied states. At&t has 20000. Often the same starbucks or wherever you go, it'll be the "same free wi-fi". What I like about

Verizon? Just that, YOU DON'T NEED TO RELY ON ANY WI-FI!
  • Reply 30 of 74
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cvaldes1831 View Post

Nah, some chocolate and lingerie...

"Yeah babe, you're good for two years. Then I might upgrade, get the younger, sexier model. She'll be thinner too."

Hugh?... Hugh Hefner?!
  • Reply 31 of 74
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sprockkets View Post

If you actually can get 3G with Att BAM!

I'm reading your post on my iPad using ATT 3G BAM!

"5 Bars" of sweet goodness, too!

/

/

/
  • Reply 32 of 74
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sflocal View Post

I think Verizon's network will buckle under the Hummer-bandwidth-eating iPhone load just as much, if not more, that AT&T's network.

At that point, I wonder what excuses Verizon's executives will come up in order to point the finger somewhere else.

Verizon will most likely place more restrictive data-caps on iPhone plans so that users will be so paranoid about using i for fear they will get smacked with over-the-top data charges.

I do not think so. I think that the vast majority of the Verizon iPhone users would come from people like me who have to use Verizon and want to dump their android phones. The android phones consume just as much data as the iPhone, so i think the network will be just fine....

Should be a big gain for apple in terms of sales however....
  • Reply 33 of 74
    Verizon iPhone, T-Mobile iPhone .... who gives a crap?

Will you please, please stop speculating about this subject? It's so unoriginally boring...

http://forums.appleinsider.com/images/smilies/lol.gif
  • Reply 34 of 74
    Quote:

Nah, some chocolate and lingerie would be more gratifying.

I can buy anyone an iPhone any day of the year. Besides, she has a cellphone. And it's not forever anyhow. The contract expires in two years.

"Yeah babe, you're good for two years. Then I might upgrade, get the younger, sexier model. She'll be thinner too."

The "babe" might be thinking the same of you... bub.
  • Reply 35 of 74
    The only way for Apple to rise above all this is for them to pony up and buy a phone company. Isn't that what Apple does anyway? They study or partner with the best of the best (in this case, the worst of the worst) then beat them at their own game. C'mon, already Steve! Buy Sprint+T-mobile+a chinese phone company... or something.
  • Reply 36 of 74
    Valentine's Verizon Vociferously Vindicating Viable Victories of ViPhone
  • Reply 37 of 74
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Cpsro View Post

Verizon's ETF is $350 (not $325) for "advanced devices" and $175 for others.

http://www.verizonwireless.com/ReturnPolicy.shtml

Verizon DOESN'T sell any "advanced devices". Yet.
  • Reply 38 of 74
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

The "babe" might be thinking the same of you... bub.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

The only way for Apple to rise above all this is for them to pony up and buy a phone company. Isn't that what Apple does anyway? They study or partner with the best of the best (in this case, the worst of the worst) then beat them at their own game. C'mon, already Steve! Buy Sprint+T-mobile+a chinese phone company... or something.

Er... I don't think so. All Apple has to do is release iPhones that can run on any carrier, any frequency (of course different models may be required) and FULLY UNLOCKED and PREVENTED FROM TAMPERING BY THE CARRIERS.

This is the only way to beat the carriers at whatever game they are playing. Its success is proven all around the world where multi-carrier fully unlocked iPhones are available.
  • Reply 39 of 74
    Quote:

Yes, considering that Apple considers mobile operators as big dumb pipes, it's not surprising at all at what sort of action that V will get from A on VDay.

Mobile operators and ISPs should be just big dumb pipes.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Guys, I just got the first invite to this thing.

"In bed with Big Red"

I'm told that alternate taglines were as follows.

"Can you shut up now? Good."

"How many rumors does it take to get to the center of the truth?"

"Not coming out until June. Duh."

Great graphic dude. Well done. Some alternate thoughts:

"Sleepless in Cupertino"

"Confessions of a Verizonoholic"

"The Devil Uses AT&T"

"50 First Meetings (before you go anywhere with Verizon)"

"Pretty Phone"

"Miss Elusivity"

"I, Android"

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to Mobile Operators"

"Call of CDMA: Modern Smartphone"

"Need for Speed: Verizon V12"

Quote:

I can buy anyone an iPhone any day of the year. Besides, she has a cellphone. And it's not forever anyhow. The contract expires in two years.

Are you talking about the cellphone or her?
  • Reply 40 of 74
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,822member
    My hope is Verizon will have some special deal for current FiOs clients to tempt us away from AT&T.