Apple expected to hold event by Valentine's Day to announce Verizon iPhone

124»

Comments

• Reply 61 of 74
    hirohiro Posts: 2,663member
    If the unlimited data is dropped for long term customers I'll look very seriously at dropping ATT when the 3GS hits its two year anniversary. I will go from being a counted on renewal to just another fickle customer looking to the cheapest dumb pipe I can find.

Hear that ATT?
  • Reply 62 of 74
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Hiro View Post

Hear that ATT?

No, but you should definitely bring it up on their forums. Ignorance may be strength, but numbers counts the same. Get enough users complaining in the right place and they'll be forced to listen.
  • Reply 63 of 74
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

I?m wondering if AT&T may drop the unlimited data plan options from those that retained them when they update their contract.

The only caveat is AT&T wants to retain these customers so they?ll allow it, but I doubt the number of users willing to pay ETF fees to jump to another carrier supporting the iPhone will be high and the amount of data some of us users consume with our jailbroken, tethered iPhones on an unlimited plan may make it more advantageous for AT&T to simply drop the option altogether.

I think it can go either way next Summer.

The can always do what T-Mobile does and throttle down download speeds after 5 GBs.
  • Reply 64 of 74
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

The can always do what T-Mobile does and throttle down download speeds after 5 GBs.

Off topic: You notice how Verizon advertises ?The fastest 4G network? and not ?The fastest network?. I think both AT&T and T-Mobile?s ?3G? speeds outpace their best LTE speeds, which is expected at this point.
  • Reply 65 of 74
    stelligentstelligent Posts: 2,680member
    It will be interesting to see which version of iPhone Verizon will first announce. Will it be the current version? In that case, as explained elsewhere (http://www.ankleskater.com/pagemaker...20110101144500), it's doubtful Steve Jobs will make a special appearance. If they are waiting till the release of version 5, then there will be no announcement until June. Highly doubtful that there will be a Verizon-specific version with distinctive features beyond CDMA compatibility.
  • Reply 66 of 74
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by stelligent View Post

It will be interesting to see which version of iPhone Verizon will first announce. Will it be the current version?

No, it will be iPhone 5.

Quote:

In that case, as explained elsewhere (http://www.ankleskater.com/pagemaker...20110101144500), it's doubtful Steve Jobs will make a special appearance.

Except Verizon's CEO himself said that Steve Jobs would be the one to present a Verizon iPhone, not him or anyone at Verizon.

Quote:

Highly doubtful that there will be a Verizon-specific version with distinctive features beyond CDMA compatibility.

Maybe a GSM/CDMA chip with LTE disabled until networks actually exist?
  • Reply 67 of 74
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Maybe a GSM/CDMA chip with LTE disabled until networks actually exist?

1) Which GSM(UMTS)/CDMA(CDMA2000) chip and what spectrums would work for the world?s smallest smartphone while still giving good battery life?

2) LTE networks do exist, which I?m sure you know, so why say they don?t and why include a chip and then have it disabled? But most importantly, which LTE chip would work in the world?s smallest smartphone while still giving good battery life?
  • Reply 68 of 74
    Quote:

No, it will be iPhone 5.

Apple will never change its product release schedule. iP5 will not be announced before June 2011.

Quote:

Except Verizon's CEO himself said that Steve Jobs would be the one to present a Verizon iPhone, not him or anyone at Verizon.

That is not accurate. Verizon (CEO or anyone else) has not said anything definite about the iPhone.
  • Reply 69 of 74
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Quote:

1) Which GSM(UMTS)/CDMA(CDMA2000) chip and what spectrums would work for the world’s smallest smartphone while still giving good battery life?

None. That's always the problem at launch.

Quote:

2) LTE networks do exist, which I’m sure you know, so why say they don’t and why include a chip and then have it disabled? But most importantly, which LTE chip would work in the world’s smallest smartphone while still giving good battery life?

The... same reason they included a disabled Bluetooth chip in the 2nd gen iPod touch? Or whichever it was. And if you can kill cores on a graphics card to take down the TDP, you can do it with functionality on a telephony chip.

Quote:

Apple will never change its product release schedule. iP5 will not be announced before June 2011.

Be careful with your definites; we don't know anything more than anyone else. I completely agree, but don't state it as such.

Quote:

That is not accurate. Verizon (CEO or anyone else) has not said anything definite about the iPhone.

Heck yes, he has. Read news?

We'll Get It When Apple Says So

We Will Offer The iPhone Eventually

We Have To Earn It

Apple Would Be Entitled To The Launch Announcement (second paragraph)
  • Reply 70 of 74
    Quote:

Heck yes, he has. Read news?

Yup. Sure do. No news of Seldenberg committing Jobs to anything. Rumors should not be confused with news. Think about it - what is there for Jobs to do on stage?
  • Reply 71 of 74
    Quote:

Be careful with your definites; we don't know anything more than anyone else. I completely agree, but don't state it as such.

If you agree then why state that the Verizon iPhone will be the version 5?

We don't know anything definite but we know Apple's history. We also know common business sense. There is no business case to be made for releasing iP5 out of schedule when iP4 is selling so well.
  • Reply 72 of 74
    Quote:

Think about it - what is there for Jobs to do on stage?

Announce iPhone 5. In June. Like he was going to do anyway.

Quote:

If you agree then why state that the Verizon iPhone will be the version 5?

Because iPhone 5 would come out in June, and if it has CDMA support, it'd be the Verizon iPhone. I'm confused at your question.

Quote:

We don't know anything definite but we know Apple's history. We also know common business sense. There is no business case to be made for releasing iP5 out of schedule when iP4 is selling so well.

That's what I keep telling people, but they don't seem to notice.
  • Reply 73 of 74
    Quote:

Announce iPhone 5. In June. Like he was going to do anyway.

They?ve mostly announced and released within June to bet on that as the mostly month for each at this point. However, they have not been released immediately after they were announced, which seems to be a point you keep stating as a bona fide Apple fact.

Quote:

Because iPhone 5 would come out in June, and if it has CDMA support, it'd be the Verizon iPhone. I'm confused at your question.

Verizon seems the most likely to get a CDMA/CDMA2000 version of the iPhone, but why you completely disregard the possibility of Sprint, China Unicom and other carriers needs to be clarified.

Also, why you think a CDMA/CDMA2000 version of the iPhone would only be available as the iPhone 5 model when there will be some slack in production and huge interest for the current iPhone to be CDMA at this point. Think about it, if Apple couldn?t keep up with demand the iPhone 4 on AT&T (and a few other carriers, which they?ve scaled back from the year before) why you do think that adding the iPhone 5?s increased demand to the US? largest carrier would someone make components and manufacturing materialize.

There is a new factory coming online sometime soon but that is not a guarantee of anything and certainly against all sound business practices I can think of. Remember, Apple?s goal is to maximize profits.

Quote:

That's what I keep telling people, but they don't seem to notice.

I seem to recall you?ve been saying that Apple will do the opposite of what history suggests. I even bet you an iPad they will not announce and release the same day in April for the iPad 2.
  • Reply 74 of 74
    Quote:

They?ve mostly announced and released within June to bet on that as the mostly month for each at this point. However, they have not been released immediately after they were announced, which seems to be a point you keep stating as a bona fide Apple fact.

Yes, yes. It's within a month, isn't it? iPhones generally come out in July while iPods are available the day of.

Quote:

Verizon seems the most likely to get a CDMA/CDMA2000 version of the iPhone, but why you completely disregard the possibility of Sprint, China Unicom and other carriers needs to be clarified.

I'm not disregarding them; they're ipso facto included. CDMA may not be CDMA may not be CDMA, but use the same bands and it'll eventually be unlocked. Whether the carriers take them is another story.

Quote:

Also, why you think a CDMA/CDMA2000 version of the iPhone would only be available as the iPhone 5 model when there will be some slack in production and huge interest for the current iPhone to be CDMA at this point.

They have to design a completely new phone just to add CDMA. Is it logical from a financial standpoint to think they'd design TWO completely new phones? A CDMA iPhone 4 AND the GSM/CDMA iPhone 5? I tend to think not. They'd either make a dual-band phone that was identical save the addition of CDMA or a newerish phone plus the CDMA and continue to sell the GSM-only iPhone 4, wouldn't they?

Quote:

I seem to recall you?ve been saying that Apple will do the opposite of what history suggests. I even bet you an iPad they will not announce and release the same day in April for the iPad 2.

Indeed. And as you've brought it up a second time, I suppose I have to hold you to that now.

Being an incurable pessimist, I refuse to get my hopes up, even for the position I've taken.

Especially for the position I've taken.