Microsoft to take on Apple TV with Windows-based set top box

Comments

• Reply 121 of 155
  • Reply 122 of 155
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by xSamplex View Post

By the way, here's a quick tip. Unless you are a fifteen year old girl, putting little animated faces in your comments is a sure sign of loserdom. Same thing for emoticons or whatever they are called.

Conceited little snot aren't ya.....
  • Reply 123 of 155
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

Woz, when he left Apple, started a company called Cloud 9.

His first product was Tyron -- A small device that attached to any remote and amplified the IR signal and beamed it in every direction. You did not need to point the remote at the TV, VCR, Stereo, etc.

His second product was an universal, programmable (and a lot more) remote called Core. Core was an Apple //c in a handheld device about the size of a remote.

My wife and I are minimalists when it comes to living room/entertainment room furnishings. When we built our current house one of the subcontractors that did the low-voltage wiring showed us a line of devices that he could install. As we were moving 2500 miles away, we wanted to keep moving costs as low as possible, so we garage-saled or goodwilled our ancient TV and stereo equipment, with the idea of buying new stuff here.

Our flatscreen is mounted on the wall above the fireplace and all the devices are hidden away in a nearby closet. As part of the deal we got an RF remote from Aeros that is the handiest and easiest remote we've ever used. It's programmable and has way fewer buttons because it uses soft buttons that are hierarchical in nature (clicking one brings up associated sub-buttons). The RF unit takes place of remotes for all the devices, including our ATV, and its signal can be detected in the closet from all over the house, including upstairs and the garage (should we have the need). The only drawback is the application that programs it is Windoze-only, so it's the only reason I have Parallels on one of our Macs.
  • Reply 124 of 155
    al_bundyal_bundy Posts: 1,525member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by skiracer1987 View Post

I haven't bought the Home Media Center (yet) I'm in research mode at the moment. What format is your stick drive and file type for the movie on it? I put a 500 gb hdd in my PS3 with the idea of adding movies to it, but i don't want to re encode stuff to .mp4 @ less than 4gb.

not sure, i get an email from someone i know every week or so with a list of movies and i copy the files to my laptop of anything i want

needed some entertainment for my son last week after the blizzard and played toy story 3 like this

i personally prefer DVD and blu ray. i'd buy cartoons from iTunes, but i need an apple TV to watch it on TV along with a HDMI port and i'm out of ports. might look into ripping the DRM off the iTunes cartoons and just put them on my PS3

i got the PS3 a month before the apple TV came out. i had to buy a blu ray player for a new TV and didn't know what apple was going to release. and it was $299 for a PS3 compared to $299 for a 3D blu ray player or $199 for a wifi enabled blu ray player.
  • Reply 125 of 155
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ecphorizer View Post

My wife and I are minimalists when it comes to living room/entertainment room furnishings. When we built our current house one of the subcontractors that did the low-voltage wiring showed us a line of devices that he could install. As we were moving 2500 miles away, we wanted to keep moving costs as low as possible, so we garage-saled or goodwilled our ancient TV and stereo equipment, with the idea of buying new stuff here.

Our flatscreen is mounted on the wall above the fireplace and all the devices are hidden away in a nearby closet. As part of the deal we got an RF remote from Aeros that is the handiest and easiest remote we've ever used. It's programmable and has way fewer buttons because it uses soft buttons that are hierarchical in nature (clicking one brings up associated sub-buttons). The RF unit takes place of remotes for all the devices, including our ATV, and its signal can be detected in the closet from all over the house, including upstairs and the garage (should we have the need). The only drawback is the application that programs it is Windoze-only, so it's the only reason I have Parallels on one of our Macs.

Tod,

Which model Aeros?

How does it handle IR?

Where did You move?
  • Reply 126 of 155
    Quote:

My 10-year-old grandson's 71-year-old grandfather

You're serious? I always thought you were my age (68 at present). Men, like fine wines, age well I think.
  • Reply 127 of 155
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by al_bundy View Post

not sure, i get an email from someone i know every week or so with a list of movies and i copy the files to my laptop of anything i want

needed some entertainment for my son last week after the blizzard and played toy story 3 like this

i personally prefer DVD and blu ray. i'd buy cartoons from iTunes, but i need an apple TV to watch it on TV along with a HDMI port and i'm out of ports. might look into ripping the DRM off the iTunes cartoons and just put them on my PS3

i got the PS3 a month before the apple TV came out. i had to buy a blu ray player for a new TV and didn't know what apple was going to release. and it was $299 for a PS3 compared to $299 for a 3D blu ray player or $199 for a wifi enabled blu ray player.

Yeah I'm juggling HDMI ports at the moment, here's a possible solution

http://www.google.com/products/catal...wAQ#ps-sellers

If Sony can make a Home Theater box that handles all formats, then there's no REAL reason they can't do it on the PS3 as well.... How Apple of them.....
  • Reply 128 of 155
    Quote:

You're serious? I always thought you were my age (68 at present). Men, like fine wines, age well I think.

Some just go "off" completely though.
  • Reply 129 of 155
    gqbgqb Posts: 1,934member
    Quote:

I'm curious and not trying to be snarky (has hell frozen over?). Just what are the advantages that BR brings to the home theater? I've been to Best Buy and Fry's in the past year and have spent time viewing BR movies on various TVs, and I honestly can't see a difference in quality between Br and conventional DVDs. Granted I'm an old fart and need glasses for reading but my farsightedness is still as good as any youngster's (according to a recent exam by my ophthalmologist), and I just can't see any marked difference.

What am I missing here that gets everyone in one corner or the other in an arena (especially when discussing BR vis-a-vis Apple/Steve Jobs)?

One of the digs against Blu-Ray has been that the incremental improvement just isn't that great to justify the cost of equipment and new media.

IMHO, on a scale of 1 to 100...

VCR to DVD was an improvement of 90

DVD to 780p or even 1080i was maybe a 40 or 50

780p/1080i to 1080p (Blu-Ray) is at best an improvement of 5 or 10.

At some point diminishing returns sets in and the bigger factor becomes convenience, which is where I think Apple has settled into a sweet spot with 780p streaming.
  • Reply 130 of 155
    Quote:

Tod,

Which model Aeros?

MX850

Quote:

How does it handle IR?

There are little ladybug-sized thingies that are glued over the IR ports, then wired (fiber optic IIRC) to the RF device. Each unit that uses IR has its own set of light pulses that can be discovered and then translated at the RF unit so the RF unit sends appropriate IR signals down the tube to the device.

Quote:

Where did You move?

Ah, that would reveal a secret that I've been sworn to keep. You know about "witness protection" setups? Mine is a "cold war 'eyes and ears' " protection plan from the former KGB folks who now run the Russian Mafia. However, it seems that no secret is safe from Google. We cashed out our Foreclosure Valley home equity (I turned an initial investment of $30k in 1976 into a $1m+ payout) and we moved to Bloomington, IN in 2008. Last fall I played a "supernumerary" part in the IU production of Die Fledermaus. Go here http://www.music.indiana.edu/iumusiclive/streaming/, slide the slider to the right until you find it, then watch. I come in early in Act II with two others showing trays of food to the party's host. I also play the part of a prisoner who escapes early in Act II.
  • Reply 131 of 155
    Quote:

Quote:

Some just go "off" completely though.

Nah!

Some of us never grow up

BTW, where can I get a gallon of that fine wine?
  • Reply 132 of 155
    Quote:

Nah!

Some of us never grow up

I'm 51 and currently enjoying playing COD MW2 on my new PS3
  • Reply 133 of 155
    Quote:

MX850

There are little ladybug-sized thingies that are glued over the IR ports, then wired (fiber optic IIRC) to the RF device. Each unit that uses IR has its own set of light pulses that can be discovered and then translated at the RF unit so the RF unit sends appropriate IR signals down the tube to the device.

Ah, that would reveal a secret that I've been sworn to keep. You know about "witness protection" setups? Mine is a "cold war 'eyes and ears' " protection plan from the former KGB folks who now run the Russian Mafia. However, it seems that no secret is safe from Google. We cashed out our Foreclosure Valley home equity (I turned an initial investment of $30k in 1976 into a $1m+ payout) and we moved to Bloomington, IN in 2008. Last fall I played a "supernumerary" part in the IU production of Die Fledermaus. Go here http://www.music.indiana.edu/iumusiclive/streaming/, slide the slider to the right until you find it, then watch. I come in early in Act II with two others showing trays of food to the party's host. I also play the part of a prisoner who escapes early in Act II.

I'll check it out -- both the remote and the opera

Yeah, our 1973 $72K home tuned into $650K in 1989.

Doncha you miss Jarvis-Gann though?

Never been to Bloomington -- nearest was Indianapolis, Cincy (IBM Business) and Goshen-Lool'vul, KY (Computer Plus Business).

Hope that new home has lotsa' fireplaces
  • Reply 134 of 155
    Quote:

I'm 51 and currently enjoying playing COD MW2 on my new PS3

I have no idea what that means (the bits after 51).
  • Reply 135 of 155
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:

I have no idea what that means (the bits after 51).

I heard that after 51 your bits stopping working.
  • Reply 136 of 155
    Quote:

Go here: http://www.goldenvineyards.com/cms/i...d=16&Itemid=27

I've worked for both these good folks at Rolm and Raynet.

"Life's too short; drink the red wine first."

-that lush at the Calif Av Caltrain station
  • Reply 137 of 155
    justflybobjustflybob Posts: 1,337member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

Sorry off topic .. I'd totally disagree. Yes they may be over used, yes they be used incorrectly at times. However, they add a dimension to writing previously absent to all but the most skilled writer, the ability to ... yes you guessed it ... show the emotional intent behind the comment. Add in the fact blogs are often terse and very susceptible to misinterpretation and they can become invaluable in avoiding any such issues.

So there \ :
  • Reply 138 of 155
    Quote:

Nah!

Some of us never grow up

Geez, I just turned 60. In your world I'm your nosey little brother!
  • Reply 139 of 155
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

I heard that after 51 your bits stopping working.

Not true.

They still work, they just creak and hurt like hell!
  • Reply 140 of 155
    Quote:

Last fall I played a "supernumerary" part in the IU production of Die Fledermaus. Go here http://www.music.indiana.edu/iumusiclive/streaming/, slide the slider to the right until you find it, then watch. I come in early in Act II with two others showing trays of food to the party's host. I also play the part of a prisoner who escapes early in Act II.

What fun!

Oh der schöne Rosalinde und Lindsay Lohan!

You actually had a long stage appearance -- holding up a column/wall, serving drinks, getting coats and hats.

...don't remember you being that well behaved...

That was really funny -- I showed my 14 yo gd the part where they tell Prince Orlofsky that he can't bail out the roulette players, and he says...

...she is going to watch the whole thing.

I really, really enjoyed a contemporary Die Fledermaus!

I envy you!