Microsoft to take on Apple TV with Windows-based set top box

1234568»

Comments

• Reply 141 of 155
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

I heard that after 51 your bits stopping working.

Actually... they go into overdrive!
  • Reply 142 of 155
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pmz View Post

Microsoft is officially the largest company with absolutely no original ideas.

And very, very frightened product managers.
  • Reply 143 of 155
    jdsonicejdsonice Posts: 156member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

A new report claims that software giant Microsoft will challenge the Apple TV and Google TV platforms when it introduces a stripped down version of Windows for set top boxes and connected TVs later this year.

Microsoft TV?

And once again proving beyond a shadow of a doubt that MS remains a company incapable of thinking for itself.

When will Ballmer learn? Children should not be allowed to play with Billions.
  • Reply 144 of 155
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

Here's an interesting patent:

http://www.patentlyapple.com/patentl...more.html#more

There always seems to be another Apple TV patent popping up (I find this one very interesting as well) to the point where I wouldn't be surprised if Steve already knows exactly how he wants Apple TV to work - he probably even has a prototype.

However whenever I read about this it always seems to come back to the content providers. Creating a "magical" device is only half the solution - the rest is finding a way to get the content owners/providers on side.

Apple have already kind of fought this battle before with the music industry so they at least come from a position of experience.

Microsoft seem to be making ground as well (limited cable over IP is already available on Xbox in Australia). I'm not sure what their secret is. Maybe they are just throwing money around.

Looking at the number of sites that are blocking Google TV it seems they may have forgotten entirely about the content owners/providers and just built the device! No doubt they are working on expanding GTV though.

The market is certainly there for someone willing to make a bold move though (assuming it's allowed to go through) like an Apple buy out of Sony, Time Warner or even Walt Disney or Comcast/NBC.
  • Reply 145 of 155
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jdsonice View Post

And once again proving beyond a shadow of a doubt that MS remains a company incapable of thinking for itself.

When will Ballmer learn? Children should not be allowed to play with Billions.

"There are lives at stake here!"
  • Reply 146 of 155
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pmz View Post

Microsoft is officially the largest company with absolutely no original ideas.

Truer words have never been spoken. Microsoft chasing everyones ideas and whats sad is that none of Microsofts chasing has brought them any substantial product gains.
  • Reply 147 of 155
    leighrleighr Posts: 253member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by emulator View Post

You are late with that joke at least 8 years.

Are you suggesting that Windows7 doesn't blue screen?

That's even funnier.
  • Reply 148 of 155
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iGuessSo View Post

Lots of tired old cliches in the comments here, probably from people who have never used Windows Media Center. It has a lot going for it. The remote believe it or not is very simple, the interface is slick and effective, the onscreen guide is the best I've ever seen, it supports OTA and QAM tuners, it has the best DVR abilities and interface I know of, ...

If you've never used it it's easy to bash it.

I've used it - the list of available free-to-air satellite channels in the UK version is deliberately limited to a select few that Microsoft sees fit to allow and you can't add channels of your own. Epic, epic fail.

I don't use it any more and love bashing it. I now use MediaPortal - HTPC done properly.
  • Reply 149 of 155
    newbeenewbee Posts: 2,055member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

My 10-year-old grandson's 71-year-old grandfather can navigate the AppleTV with a 1-n button remote with full menus, images and text -- an iPhone or an iPad running the Free Remote app. He didn't have to learn anything -- it works the same way that everything on iDevices works: simple and intuitive! When the kids are not around he loves watching: "Debbie does"... er, ah, forget it!

Alright Dick .... can I borrow that? I love old Debbie Reynolds movies. .....
  • Reply 150 of 155
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bitzandbitez View Post

Really?? I mean really??????

yawn

Excellent summation.
  • Reply 151 of 155
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BUSHMAN4 View Post

Truer words have never been spoken. Microsoft chasing everyones ideas and whats sad is that none of Microsofts chasing has brought them any substantial product gains.

To be fair to Microsoft they are consistent. They never did have an idea to start with. They simply made billions with stolen ones.
  • Reply 152 of 155
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Firefly7475 View Post

There always seems to be another Apple TV patent popping up (I find this one very interesting as well) to the point where I wouldn't be surprised if Steve already knows exactly how he wants Apple TV to work - he probably even has a prototype.

However whenever I read about this it always seems to come back to the content providers. Creating a "magical" device is only half the solution - the rest is finding a way to get the content owners/providers on side.

Apple have already kind of fought this battle before with the music industry so they at least come from a position of experience.

Microsoft seem to be making ground as well (limited cable over IP is already available on Xbox in Australia). I'm not sure what their secret is. Maybe they are just throwing money around.

Looking at the number of sites that are blocking Google TV it seems they may have forgotten entirely about the content owners/providers and just built the device! No doubt they are working on expanding GTV though.

The market is certainly there for someone willing to make a bold move though (assuming it's allowed to go through) like an Apple buy out of Sony, Time Warner or even Walt Disney or Comcast/NBC.

I wonder if the status quo regarding content development via the Networks and cable companies will change in TV. Look how the iTunes eco system once in place allowed independents musicians to by pass the traditional Labels. The problem is venture money. The music labels put up money for touring etc. and typically bet 20:1 on the fact one band would succeed and cover the losses on the other 19. Independents may have direct access to the audience but they don't get that injection of money either by enlarge to tour and heck just eat. The same may happen in TV if one successful model does eventually emerge but again there needs to be the investment / risk money involved from somewhere. Making a TV show pilot isn't cheap. If this could all happen then there is no reason why one day the concept of the Networks is history but some form of financing has to emerge.
  • Reply 153 of 155
    jbearjbear Posts: 1member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by al_bundy View Post

name a feature of the apple TV that didn't appear in another product before ATV2 came out?

AirPlay?
  • Reply 154 of 155
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bobbyc View Post

There's nothing wrong with being a "fast follower" and not a market innovator - you get to pick your targets, decide what you can do that is different, and you mitigate a lot of risk that goes along with being a market-leader and an innovator.

The trick is. . .you actually have to deliver something that is competitive with, and occasionally better than, the market leader. And you can't have marketing that positions you as a market leader if you're not leading.

All in, MSFT is subjecting us to volley after volley of disphoria - they say one thing, they do another. Sooner or later that's going to be a problem.

Ya you are absolutely right...
  • Reply 155 of 155
    must be great being a Microsoft exec. you can just take vacation while waiting for Apple to develop new devices and technology, then you go to work duplicating that device or technology for your own brand loyalists. perhaps brilliant...