CES: Microsoft keynote underwhelms with few surprises

Comments

• Reply 21 of 156
    sciwizsciwiz Posts: 77member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mazda 3s View Post

The funny thing is that Intel had a competent ARM architecture (StrongARM, X-Scale) a few years back for PocketPCs... but once the market for dedicated PDAs died, Intel bailed and sold the division to Marvell.

DOH!!

Kind of like when AMD sold it's mobile graphics division to Qualcomm, where it is now part of the Snapdragon processors as the Adreno graphics.
  • Reply 22 of 156
    mazda 3smazda 3s Posts: 1,613member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bettieblue View Post

DED wrote this with out a doubt.

My thoughts exactly. All DED did was read Engaget's liveblog then turn around and write a flame title with little to back up his claims in the body.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Aeolian View Post

Is this article serious??? I just finished watching the keynote and I was impressed.

Hopefully Apple is still a step ahead...

The title doesn't even match the article. Microsoft moving to ARM for its flagship Windows OS is huge news. Sandy Bridge is big news on the performance front for Windows. 8 million Kinects sold is a surprise to everyone.

So what exactly is underwhelming?
  • Reply 23 of 156
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sciwiz View Post

I must say the Kinect sales are ridiculous!

That's funny... I heard they were ridonkulous...
  • Reply 24 of 156
    macrrmacrr Posts: 488member
    I just had two macallan 25s...

so forgive me if I am not getting this...

Are you guys comparing kinects and ipads?

wtf?
  • Reply 25 of 156
    freerangefreerange Posts: 1,597member
    So pathetic. And he is bragging that "Whatever device you use... Windows will be there.." like somehow that's a positive thing!

ROFLOL ROFLOL ROFLOL ROFLOL ROFLOL ROFLOL ROFLOL ROFLOL ROFLOL ROFLOL ROFLOL ROFLOL ROFLOL ROFLOL ROFLOL ROFLOL ROFLOL ROFLOL ROFLOL ROFLOL
  • Reply 26 of 156
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

I know people will laugh at Windows 8 on ARM but Cortex-A15 will be up 2.5GHz, have up to 8 cores and be designed with actual servers in mind. This will not be an area MS will want to ignore. This is a smart move and being done well before it?ll be fashionable. That?s a good thing for a company that has been notorious for only reacting after the fact.

All said, i think this is the best CES MS has had this decade.

Yeah, I'm still waiting for Apple to surprise us with a new XServe packed with dozens of low powered A4 processors running OS X Server. That would be nice.
  • Reply 27 of 156
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dr Millmoss View Post

It might be instructive to google "Windows Everywhere." Seems to me, Microsoft began using this slogan during the mid-90s. And here I thought they'd allowed that undeliverable, not to mention undesireable, concept to slip beneath the waves long ago.

But "LePad" is the real winner here. Buy one and take it home in your LeCar.

LeLOL!
  • Reply 28 of 156
    firefly7475firefly7475 Posts: 1,502member
    It's absolute madness that Microsoft still don't have an entry into the "tablet" market at this stage.

There were grumblings two years ago that the hardware required to deliver a great "tablet" experience would become available in 2010. There were even mainstream media reports almost 18 months ago.

It shouldn't have been a surprise to anyone, and certainly not a tech company as big as Microsoft.

Microsoft need to realize there is a difference between the consumer and enterprise market.

Staying out of the tablet market for another 18 months just so they can deliver a business focused device is madness.

I think it would be really interesting if they delivered two tablets. An Xbox/Zune branded consumer focused device based off CE/WP7 running on ARM and another "Windows 8" ARM/x86 business focused device in 18/24 months when it's ready.

Both devices could run the same applications and use the same application store based on XNA/Silverlight, but I would assume the business focused device would also allow side-loading and management through Windows Server (like normal Windows)

The consumer based device would also have strict hardware requirements and hardware iterations (like WP7/Xbox/Zune) where the business device would be more of an OEM free-for-all.

Eventually, down the road, the consumer focused device could have its core moved to Windows 8 (or 9) without any impact to applications (as all are based on XNA/Silverlight) well as any other devices Microsoft decide to merge (Zune, Xbox, WP7 etc).

I also think that Media Center should be moved over to the "Entertainment" division and integrated with Xbox, so they can offer "gaming/tv/media anywhere" and tight integration between Xbox, Zune, WP7 and the new Xbox Slate... but that's a story for another day.
  • Reply 29 of 156
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Firefly7475 View Post

It's absolute madness that Microsoft still don't have an entry into the "tablet" market at this stage.

Neither does RiM, Nokia nor Android. Apple?s still the only modern mobile OS "designed for tablets" on the market.
  • Reply 30 of 156
    jon tjon t Posts: 131member
    Some really weird and odd comments on this thread. To say this is the best CES for MS??? Really?

Microsoft are hopelessly behind in everything. And wow, Kinnect? Big deal. It's a 5th of the price of an iPad and there is no comparison to be made, except in Ballmers' dreams...

Another sad day for Microsoft, on its way to breakup and ultimate oblivion.
  • Reply 31 of 156
    bageljoeybageljoey Posts: 2,008member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nvidia2008 View Post

Ah, a pissing contest. Got it.

Some might call it marketing...
  • Reply 32 of 156
    Porting Windows - full Windows - to a new architecture is hardly an "incremental" feature (I'm tempted to add ", Daniel." as this is plainly a DED article). This is a serious development.

Quote:

The previous claim that it would outsell the iPad look to be correct, and by a large margin.

So what? It's like saying Starbucks sells more muffins than Durex sells condoms. It was a meaningless comparison when MS made it and it's a meaningless comparison now.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacRR View Post

I just had two macallan 25s...

so forgive me if I am not getting this...

Are you guys comparing kinects and ipads?

wtf?

Yes, they are. In other news, Tetley sells more tea-bags than Aston-Martin sells Vanquishes.
  • Reply 33 of 156
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bettieblue View Post

DED wrote this with out a doubt.

...and?

Why do you make a point of coming here with pointless posts like this?

Microsoft had nothing apart from vapourware windows 8 running on ARM, a small blip on the horizon, coming late to a market where Apple already are and Android, WebOS, Blackberry and others soon will be.

Underwhelming and you try to shoot the messenger which is all you seem to be good for.

So I get it you don't like DED, so why keep bleating on about it?
  • Reply 34 of 156
    onhkaonhka Posts: 1,025member
    Quote:

I know people will laugh at Windows 8 on ARM but Cortex-A15 will be up 2.5GHz, have up to 8 cores and be designed with actual servers in mind. This will not be an area MS will want to ignore. This is a smart move and being done well before it’ll be fashionable. That’s a good thing for a company that has been notorious for only reacting after the fact.

All said, i think this is the best CES MS has had this decade.

Fair enough, considering that this decade is only 6 days old
  • Reply 35 of 156
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Onhka View Post

Fair enough, considering that this decade is only 6 days old

2010 started this decade.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2010s
  • Reply 36 of 156
    onhkaonhka Posts: 1,025member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

2010 started this decade.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2010s

You are right. My apologies to all.
  • Reply 37 of 156
    You think 8 million Kinects is a lot? You guys clearly don't know squat about video games.

There is no doubt, these sales ARE NOT sustainable. This is just like a less successful, similar-fated HD Wii.

Which is quite funny because xbox people often say the Move (PS3' motion controller) is a Wii-clone... but in a software sense, it's exactly the other way around: Sony is actually pushing it (although poorly, I must say) towards REAL games (known to casuals as "hardcore" games).

Just Google SOCOM 4. Oh, and the Sony keynote blew this crap out of the water. 2011 will definitely be the year of the Playstation.

And comparing a $150 Kinect with a <$500 iPad? Seriously people?

Anyway, I DO believe iPad will still outsell it.
  • Reply 38 of 156
    Onhka, You were correct in the post. This decade is six days old. 2010 was the final year of the first decade of the 21st century.
  • Reply 39 of 156
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nvidia2008 View Post

Ah, a pissing contest. Got it.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bageljoey View Post

Some might call it marketing...

Yup, one and the same.
  • Reply 40 of 156
    sheffsheff Posts: 1,407member
    Finally a smart move by ms. They have admitted defeat in tablet space and are content with a small foothold in the phone business. Instead they will focus on areas they do well in, namely xbox and desktop os. Good business model for at least the next 10 years. By that time they may either get smaller in size or actually acquire talent for the next wave of technology.