CES: Microsoft keynote underwhelms with few surprises

Comments

• Reply 61 of 156
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by FreeRange View Post

So pathetic. And he is bragging that "Whatever device you use... Windows will be there.." like somehow that's a positive thing!

ROFLOL ROFLOL ROFLOL ROFLOL ROFLOL ROFLOL ROFLOL ROFLOL ROFLOL ROFLOL ROFLOL ROFLOL ROFLOL ROFLOL ROFLOL ROFLOL ROFLOL ROFLOL ROFLOL ROFLOL

Windows Everywhere..... Except on iPad!
  • Reply 62 of 156
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Lukeskymac View Post

Not if it's some incredibly overhyped gimmick technology no one has ever used before that was released nearly on holidays season

...<snip>

There is basically nothing in that for me to seriously respond to. You've gone from the position of "you think 8 million Kinects is a lot? You guys clearly don't know squat about video games" to basically saying (I'll paraphrase) "Xbox sucks, Kinect sucks and everything sucks but PS3 because PS3 is awesome because I said so. Nobody knows as much as I do"

Seriously?

You said 8 million Kinect units isn't a lot, so I provided you with statistics that show that 8 million units is a lot in the context of and expensive console add-on.

I also provided you with statistics that show that the Kinect is more popular among the Xbox community (i.e. devices sold per X360 console) than any exclusive PS3 game is among the PlayStation community.

If you want to say "Kinect sucks and its a gimmick and its not going to last and by the way it is sucky because I said so" then that is your opinion.

However as soon as you start trying to accuse people of not knowing what they are talking about for saying the Kinect has sold well then you're going to end up with someone calling you out for the BS.

In any case I think you'll struggle to find too many people that really care either way about the PlayStation on these forums... that is of course, until Apple swallow up Sony and release the Apple PlayStation TV 4. Now that would be news!
  • Reply 63 of 156
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by va_plinker View Post

MS is acting like Atom chips are the only thing keep Windows off tablets and other low powered devices. ARM does nothing to simplify the user experience for a tablet device. Sure, you'll get better batter life.... maybe... a lot of other changes will be necessary to do that, but what about the user experience?

Agreed!

Apparently they are working on two separate shells for Windows 8 - the normal desktop and the "panel based" touch UI (sounds like WP7?) and full cloud integration (so your documents/settings are synced between all of your devices - phone/tablet/laptop/desktop).

Also, it was leaked ages ago that they will include the Marketplace for applications in Windows 8 and they are also working on Silverlight for Xbox - my guess would be their aim is a unified Marketplace across phone/tablet/Xbox/laptop and desktop.

It's a grand plan but it feels like it should be happening now (or at least soon), not 1 or 2 years down the road.
  • Reply 64 of 156
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by eadulf View Post

Onhka, You were correct in the post. This decade is six days old. 2010 was the final year of the first decade of the 21st century.

So the first year of the century (2000) was the last year of the decade?
  • Reply 65 of 156
    anonymouseanonymouse Posts: 6,955member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Firefly7475 View Post

... You said 8 million Kinect units isn't a lot, so I provided you with statistics that show that 8 million units is a lot in the context of and expensive console add-on.

I also provided you with statistics that show that the Kinect is more popular among the Xbox community (i.e. devices sold per X360 console) than any exclusive PS3 game is among the PlayStation community.

If you want to say "Kinect sucks and its a gimmick and its not going to last and by the way it is sucky because I said so" then that is your opinion. ...

I'm not a gamer, but just looking at the sales numbers and news reports on Kinect, I think Microsoft is on to a good thing here. Average (non-gamer) people have really taken to the Wii, and the Kinect is the next evolution of that sort of family oriented gaming. I think it's going to be very popular with the same demographics that have, or are/were interested in, the Wii, which is a much larger group than traditional console gamers. This is one of the reasons I think Microsoft would do best putting there AppleTV/GoogleTV competitor under the Xbox brand (as a standalone or complimentary device/service), a brand that looks better these days than anything Windows.
  • Reply 66 of 156
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mstone View Post

No, the last year (2000) of the previous century (20th) was the last year of its calendar decade (1991-2000).
  • Reply 67 of 156
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mstone View Post

It's dumb, but the start of this century was technically 2001, not 2000. They started counting the years at 1 instead of 0.

From memory it was much more fun celebrating the new century in 2000 though
  • Reply 68 of 156
    I know people hate microsoft here but i figured apple fans would be exited about the new touch technology microsoft and samsung came up with.

IF you watched the keynot speech the new surface 2 can actually see whats put ontop of it. they had a debug screen that showed you what the surface sees.

IF apple licensed this they could make ipads and iphones even better in the touch department.

PS keep in mind this is a consumer expo . New products usually are saved for their own events. Like at the technet events e3 and other places.
  • Reply 69 of 156
    ifailifail Posts: 463member
    Microsoft has something special with Kinect. The Avatar Kinect seems goofy but just the way MS is using the tech to do facial recognition for the masses is amazing. I havent really cared about Kinect, but im intrigued enough to buy one to try it out. The deeper MS integrates Kinect features into its core experience, the better it will be. If they can do something for the "gamer market", it could really change the face of gaming as a whole as Nintendo did with the DS and Wii.

Windows on ARM is a big deal. I suspect that Windows Phone 7 features may be integrated into Windows 8, allowing a full Windows experience across all devices, from traditional computing to mobile computing.

Imagine your phone sitting in a dock with HDMI out and USB/Bluetooth keyboard/mouse support, running like a full computer. Unplug it and take it on the go, using it as a phone and tablet like device.

This is something i wish Microsoft had done years ago, but they rested too long while iOS and Android came in. Now MS sees both platforms as a threat that could encroach upon traditional PC territory. No better way for MS to combat both by putting their software on iOS and Android home turf, ARM hardware
  • Reply 70 of 156
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by majortom1981 View Post

IF apple licensed this they could make ipads and iphones even better in the touch department.

Hmmmm... I'm just guessing but something tells me that Apple has its own techs working on something that is even better than the MS-Samsung development.

... but that's just a guess.
  • Reply 71 of 156
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Geez people. What a bunch of wonky ass posts. MS sells a fraken accessory to an aging game console, they make $1.2 BILLION in revenue doing it, and you can?t give them any accolades for it? MS has been notorious for not being able to turn a profit on any HW. It took them years just to get in the black per quarter with the 360. I?m not even sure they?ve turned a profit overall.

I didn?t make the iPad comparison, MS did, and if you can?t see why they?d make a comparison to the hottest CE on the market to get free press then I?m surprised you can read this post. Pretty simple marketing.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

'Decade' is an imprecise term in regard to exactly what years are referred to. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Decade if you like to use Wikipedia as your font of truth.

A decade can be any 10 year period. eadulf is correct that 2011 is the first year of the second decade of the 21st century. 2011 is also the second year of the 2010s and, for the decade arbitrarily beginning on January 1, 2005, 2011 is the seventh year. However, in the context of solipsism's post, I'm pretty sure that Onhka got it and Tallest Skil is in the uncomfortable position of being pedantic, wrong, and not in on the joke, which was pretty funny.

Actually, you were correct in your first sentence. It?s an imprecise term whose only binding aspect is a period of 10 years. I was referring to the previous 10 year time frame, hence my use of decade.
  • Reply 72 of 156
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Actually, you were correct in your first sentence. It?s an imprecise term whose only binding aspect is a period of 10 years. I was referring to the previous 10 year time frame, hence my use of decade.

I liked it better when I thought you were making a joke...
  • Reply 73 of 156
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

I liked it better when I thought you were making a joke...

But it?s true. For MS I can?t think of a bigger announcement. Windows being made to run on a differnet architecture for the first time whilst Apple is on 3 for desktop and 4 if you count the iOS port. And an actual success with selling HW. That?s big news.
  • Reply 74 of 156
    desarcdesarc Posts: 642member
  • Reply 75 of 156
    jazzgurujazzguru Posts: 6,435member
    But what about the developers?
  • Reply 76 of 156
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

But it?s true. For MS I can?t think of a bigger announcement. Windows being made to run on a differnet architecture for the first time whilst Apple is on 3 for desktop and 4 if you count the iOS port. And an actual success with selling HW. That?s big news.

Well, it's certainly more than they had last year.

Differnet, that's the Verizon term for their version of the Internet they plan to offer on wireless, right?
  • Reply 77 of 156
    jon tjon t Posts: 131member
    Why is DED always attacked? Because he was followed to AI by an asinine mob of idiots who also did the same when his articles appeared on Digg...

Quote:
    Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

...and?

Why do you make a point of coming here with pointless posts like this?

Microsoft had nothing apart from vapourware windows 8 running on ARM, a small blip on the horizon, coming late to a market where Apple already are and Android, WebOS, Blackberry and others soon will be.

Underwhelming and you try to shoot the messenger which is all you seem to be good for.

So I get it you don't like DED, so why keep bleating on about it?

• Reply 78 of 156
    macrulezmacrulez Posts: 2,455member
    deleted
  • Reply 79 of 156
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Firefly7475 View Post

It's dumb, but the start of this century was technically 2001, not 2000. They started counting the years at 1 instead of 0.

From memory it was much more fun celebrating the new century in 2000 though

Not everyone started counting years at CE 1. The calendar has been screwed with many times in the last 2,000 or so years. Solipsism's remark about decade was obviously referring to the last 10 years and the 6 day joke was funny.

Computer epoch date started on 1970-01-01 00:00:00 which as you can see, starts on a zero.
  • Reply 80 of 156
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jon T View Post

Why is DED always attacked? Because he was followed to AI by an asinine mob of idiots who also did the same when his articles appeared on Digg...

Because, clearly, some people feel very threatened by what he writes.