RIM announces 4G PlayBook coming to Sprint summer 2011

Comments

• Reply 21 of 99
    sandausandau Posts: 1,230member
    shipping when? omg.
  • Reply 22 of 99
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Weren?t you just saying last week that the PlayBook?s battery life be like so super great because it will use the more power efficient Cortex-A9 over that crappy Cortex-A8 in the current iPad?

If that's the case, let's see what happens if we see an iPad 2 with a custom cortex a9.

Btw, all this talk about the iPad getting ten hours is bs.

I routinely get 12 - 14 hrs. of battery life.
  • Reply 23 of 99
    fila97fila97 Posts: 63member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by samab View Post

The next ipad will come with increased features that will eat up battery life. You can't increase battery life much because it is the slowest moving technology in the whole computer industry. It's a losing battle against feature creep.

Apple constantly increase their products feature AND battery life in their mobile devices. Guess youre yoo ignorant to take note of that.
  • Reply 24 of 99
    fila97fila97 Posts: 63member
    Quote:

Even if Apple doesn't include flash in their ipad browser, the very fact that idiotic website designers will put out all kinds of CPU sucking HTML5 websites will decrease the battery life for the next gen ipad.

The specs of the 2nd gen iPad is not yet out and here you are talking bs.
  • Reply 25 of 99
    chiachia Posts: 713member
    Quote:

The next ipad will come with increased features that will eat up battery life.

The iPhone 4 has increased features but better battery life compared to the 3GS

http://www.apple.com/uk/iphone/compare-iphones/
  • Reply 26 of 99
    esummersesummers Posts: 953member
    If 10s of thousands is the amount to all enterprise customers this is a low number. Apple is selling millions of iPads to enterprise customers. I just don't see enterprise customers rushing out to build Adobe Air and Flash apps...

I guess summer 2011 is the beginning of the year...
  • Reply 27 of 99
    anonymouseanonymouse Posts: 6,860member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by fila97 View Post

The specs of the 2nd gen iPad is not yet out and here you are talking bs.

samab is a shill, that's what he does.
  • Reply 28 of 99
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    Ah, vaporware is a mean, mean drug. Once you start, it's a slippery slope.

Start of with some flashy (pun unintended) videos of PlayBook and how it's going to be awesome. Get large media response and "corporate interest". When reports of unfinished battery management comes out, just respond that "it wasn't even implemented, so na na na na na nahhhh".

Can't get enough? Go for 4G, hell, that's an awesome buzzword, who cares if anyone knows what exactly it is or how relevant it is for them. Announce a far off yet enticing date like "Summer 2011". Announce yet more massive, super-duper OMFG corporate interest. Everyone can haz PlayBook! Yay!

I don't know man. I'd love to see RIM succeed and push Apple a kind of "right way" forward.

The thing about an avalanche of fail is that the snow just keeps building up without you knowing it... Until it is way, way too late.
  • Reply 29 of 99
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by esummers View Post

If 10s of thousands is the amount to all enterprise customers this is a low number. Apple is selling millions of iPads to enterprise customers. I just don't see enterprise customers rushing out to build Adobe Air and Flash apps...

I guess summer 2011 is the beginning of the year...

But didn't you know? To RIM 1 corporate customer or BlackBerry user is better than hundreds of riff raff buying them iProducts...!
  • Reply 30 of 99
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DickApplebaum View Post

This appears to be the system multitasking settings:

Deactivate applications:

-- When they leave full screen

-- When new applications become full screen

-- Never (all singing, all dancing)

I find the "Never (all singing, all dancing)" terminology a little odd -- maybe its killer app is filming those office parties

re: office parties.

More seriously though, giving the user control of multitasking to, "Awesome, Run Everything All At Once To Hell With Battery Life And Speed And Stability Yayyy!"

Is...

Brave.
  • Reply 31 of 99
    I can see some potential corporate demand for replacing the proprietary units that Fedex, UPS etc have for taking signatures etc. They like a stylus to be more pen-like so maybe if they build that function in there's a market. Seven inch sounds about right, iPod Touch feels a bit small for such applications, carriers could also ditch standalone navigation devices for cost savings. So yes I can see some space for corporate adoption, corporations have been buying Windows for decades too so anything is possible!
  • Reply 32 of 99
    jon tjon t Posts: 131member
    Quote:

then it will be a good thing for Apple fans because it would create great pressure on Apple to put the flash player on the ipad2.

Are you NUTS? I want Flash to go and die in the fires of hell where it belongs.

(My MBP, 27% battery after 3 plus hours, then ran a few Flash videos and 5 minutes later it was at 5% battery).
  • Reply 33 of 99
    Quote:

The next ipad will come with increased features that will eat up battery life. You can't increase battery life much because it is the slowest moving technology in the whole computer industry. It's a losing battle against feature creep.

What are you talking about? Although battery technology hasn't progressed as much as we like is continuing to evolve. There are lots of other technologies that allows for more efficient power usage as well.

Our laptops and cellphones pack in much more features and processing power than those from 8-10 years ago and yet they can run much longer. Our Macbooks today although thinner and lighter runs many hours longer than older laptops. Our cellphones today even with all those features, and a large LCD screen still runs far longer than Motorola StarTac.
  • Reply 34 of 99
    jon tjon t Posts: 131member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sciwiz View Post

Not going to argue there, RIM is confined to the business community and I think they know this, that's why all their talk is about corporations.

That's SO funny. Is that why they called it the PLAYBOOK?!?!?!

And on the topic of battery life, doubters need to check out Apple's patents being applied for on Liquid Metal technologies - for use in? Batteries.
  • Reply 35 of 99
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jon T View Post

Are you NUTS? I want Flash to go and die in the fires of hell where it belongs.

(My MBP, 27% battery after 3 plus hours, then ran a few Flash videos and 5 minutes later it was at 5% battery).

As a Flash developer I feel a little twisted, since Flash is really nice to develop Websites with rich content rather easily and with minimal scripting. You can use the time for creativity instead of debugging. Anyway after a little shock that Flash isn't going to the iOS I understand Steve's position now. Flash would have to be completely rewritten for mobile devices. Still for anything hooked to a power cable, Flash may be useful for quit some time. And I hope your wishes are not coming true.
  • Reply 36 of 99
    djmikeodjmikeo Posts: 180member
    My understanding is that the communication chips that power "4G" are more power hungry than 3g chips. In fact, I think that the sprint EVO has a setting to disable 4g in order to achieve longer battery life. If the RIM Playbook is already having difficulty achieving 6 hours of battery life in it's current state, I would think that adding 4G would seriously shorten the life of the unit's use while being mobile. Flash Apps, Flash Web Content and 4G are all going to hurt Playbook's real world battery life.
  • Reply 37 of 99
    Have you been living in a cave? Adobe demonstrated the new Flash player that only uses .8% of CPU as opposed to 90% CPU, download the beta at adobslabs.com. Flash is in your near future my friend!! Like t or not. Apple demonstrated their flexibility when they loosened their license and allowed Flash developed apps on the App store. Exciting stuff!
  • Reply 38 of 99
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

The demonstration and UI looks really slick, certainly better than the Galaxy Tab using Android 2.2 and better than the mockup video of Android 3.0 ?designed for tablets?, so WTH is going on that it only has 4 hours left with 93% of battery remaining. How does 7% equate to more than 50% more run time?

You missed his point! He said comparable battery life, as in "compared to other tablets, ours does not last as long."

Joking aside, I am far more impressed with what I see in the Playbook than what I see from the new Android tablets. The big question mark for both from my perspective is developers and support for them. I haven't seen enough to determine if third parties are going to keep these platforms afloat like they have done with the iPad. They certainly have the edge hardware wise over the first gen iPad, but dual core processors and loads of RAM are not the necessary ingredients for productivity; applications are. In this arena Apple is still ahead by a country mile in my opinion, but I will be watching closely to see how the competitors try to bridge that gap.

But I am impressed by how this makes Android 3.0 look a little rough around the edges, to say the least. I'm sure Apple isn't resting either. If RIM can somehow pull this off and the developers get behind it, I'll have an interesting purchase decision to make this summer between the iPad 2 and Playbook. If they don't pull it off, well, I hope Apple continues to innovate even when the competition just continues to trip over themselves trying to play catch up.
  • Reply 39 of 99
    Just to be clear: the 4G model will launch this summer, the 3G model launches in the first quarter, probably March.

So far the Motorola XOOM looks like the best competition to the iPad because of its 10 inch screen. But based on the CNet video, it looks like it's not ready yet either. The only thing loaded on the tablet at CES are demo videos.

As Microsoft and HP have learned, it's one thing to announce a product, another to launch it.
  • Reply 40 of 99
    postulantpostulant Posts: 1,272member
    What? No native email or calendar apps? In order to check your email and/or calendar, the PlayBook must be tethered to your blackberry phone - if you own one. OMG... Other than Blackberry owners, who would want that?

FAIL!