RIM announces 4G PlayBook coming to Sprint summer 2011

Comments

• Reply 41 of 99
    res08haores08hao Posts: 114member
    The great miscalculation of these also rans is using the phone companies as their point of consumer entry. If my POS LePad- what a stupid, meant for Asians only name-breaks, where do you take it? Sprint? Verizon? Dreadful thought.

No, give me Apple, and ONLY Apple.

SENT FROM MY IPAD
  • Reply 42 of 99
    nhtnht Posts: 4,522member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by esummers View Post

If 10s of thousands is the amount to all enterprise customers this is a low number. Apple is selling millions of iPads to enterprise customers. I just don't see enterprise customers rushing out to build Adobe Air and Flash apps...

I guess summer 2011 is the beginning of the year...

There is a very large installed based of BB so the Playbook will do well for folks that won't support iOS or Android via Good or ActiveSync.

We have to do a BB version of our app and it will be for the Playbook. Fortunately for me we have Air/Flash devs. Although, honestly we could just get by with just the webapp version.

Summer is for the 4G version (Sprint...really?). They still plan for 1Q 2011 for the wifi only version that can use a BB for tethering.
  • Reply 43 of 99
    nhtnht Posts: 4,522member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ChiA View Post

The iPhone 4 has increased features but better battery life compared to the 3GS

http://www.apple.com/uk/iphone/compare-iphones/

I finally dumped him on ignore. It's kinda like arguing with a broken clock, he's right every once in a while but it's a fairly rare occurence.
  • Reply 44 of 99
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TalkingNewMedia View Post

Just to be clear: the 4G model will launch this summer, the 3G model launches in the first quarter, probably March.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

A Wi-Fi only version of the device is expected to launch in the first quarter of this year.

Wi-Fi version, not 3G version.
  • Reply 45 of 99
    tnsftnsf Posts: 203member
    Sprint?! The Playbook saga just keeps getting worse!

The fact they're launching on sprint means they were snubbed by Verizon and AT&T. What a smack in the face for RIM and a testament to their diminishing influence.

Palm Pre anyone?
  • Reply 46 of 99
    chiachia Posts: 713member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nht View Post

I finally dumped him on ignore. It's kinda like arguing with a broken clock, he's right every once in a while but it's a fairly rare occurence.

Don't understand your need to tell everybody you're putting me on ignore. I'm not jumping for your bait nor will I in future.
  • Reply 47 of 99
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nht View Post

There is a very large installed based of BB so the Playbook will do well for folks that won't support iOS or Android via Good or ActiveSync.

Has RIM declared what versions of Blackberry OS will work with the Playbook? I don't recall hearing anything, which either means it works with all versions or it only works with OS 6.
  • Reply 48 of 99
    samabsamab Posts: 1,953member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jon T View Post

Are you NUTS? I want Flash to go and die in the fires of hell where it belongs.

(My MBP, 27% battery after 3 plus hours, then ran a few Flash videos and 5 minutes later it was at 5% battery).

Your MBP would face the same battery life problem if you go to a website with heavy HTML5 animations and WebM videos without hardware accel. There is no way out.
  • Reply 49 of 99
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ChiA View Post

The iPhone 4 has increased features but better battery life compared to the 3GS

http://www.apple.com/uk/iphone/compare-iphones/

So you add 1 hour in battery life in the ipad2. Then it basically becomes a question of 11 hours of ipad without flash vs. 8 hours of playbook with flash.
  • Reply 50 of 99
    nasseraenasserae Posts: 3,167member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by samab View Post

So you add 1 hour in battery life in the ipad2. Then it basically becomes a question of 11 hours of ipad without flash vs. 8 hours of playbook with flash.

So you decided that Apple will add 1 hour of battery life for the iPad 2 and the PlayBook will have 8 hours?!

Please don't state your assumptions as facts.
  • Reply 51 of 99
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by NasserAE View Post

So you decided that Apple will add 1 hour of battery life for the iPad 2 and the PlayBook will have 8 hours?!

Please don't state your assumptions as facts.

I am saying that battery is the slowest technology mover in the whole computer industry --- it is not going to suddenly increase your battery life by 200% like CPU speed. RIM has stated that their goal is 8 hours.
  • Reply 52 of 99
    Quote:

I am saying that battery is the slowest technology mover in the whole computer industry --- it is not going to suddenly increase your battery life by 200% like CPU speed. RIM has stated that their goal is 8 hours.

It has always been incremental improvements in battery tech and CPU. Like someone else mentioned earlier, Apple do their own battery chemistry and the latest MacBook/Pro/Air battery life indicate that they can achieve noticeable improvements.

Even if RIM stated that their goal is eight hours they still didn't say they can achieve that goal. We are still more than two months away from an actual product launch. No information about battery life and pricing.
  • Reply 53 of 99
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rabbit_Coach View Post

As a Flash developer I feel a little twisted, since Flash is really nice to develop Websites with rich content rather easily and with minimal scripting. You can use the time for creativity instead of debugging. Anyway after a little shock that Flash isn't going to the iOS I understand Steve's position now. Flash would have to be completely rewritten for mobile devices. Still for anything hooked to a power cable, Flash may be useful for quit some time. And I hope your wishes are not coming true.

as a flash developer since '98, I have seen more atrocities created with the .swf extensions, from terrible animations to horribly compressed files. It's been a problem from clients trying to create the craziest of presentations with no concern on file size or which computer will actually have to run the files.

I have tried countless times to convince clients that director is a better option for what they want, but to no avail. Instead they want to put it up on the web too, something intended for cd/dvd/local playback. I have spent more time optimizing .flas for the better part of decade from projects that other contract workers walked away from projects, leaving them my hands. I have also taught, TA-ed, and tutored flash for over a decade. This was before the .flv, since then, I have pretty much abandoned flash.

The idea of running video with a very poor compression ratio with an even worse video/audio playback transcoded by adobe inside a propriety file app downloaded from the web? really..

It will never be processor efficient for mobile devices unless it gets completely rewritten. I am not going to even get into how actionscripting was never intended for non-multitouch input devices.

If you want develop for next generation of computer, namely mobile, look into iAd producer. If it will be half what I think it will be, it will completely replace adobe products with the exception After Effects and Photoshop. iAd producer will hopefully completely replace the completely functionality of flash while getting us developers back to writing javascript...
  • Reply 54 of 99
    Quote:

Your MBP would face the same battery life problem if you go to a website with heavy HTML5 animations and WebM videos without hardware accel. There is no way out.

That is certainly Adobe's position, but I'm not convinced its entirely true. My CPU usage, temp and and fan speed are not impacted nearly as much when viewing HTML5 video as compared to viewing Flash video. Of course this is not a scientific assessment, but its still something and its still impacting my experience based on my normal usage.
  • Reply 55 of 99
    Quote:

It has always been incremental improvements in battery tech and CPU. Like someone else mentioned earlier, Apple do their own battery chemistry and the latest MacBook/Pro/Air battery life indicate that they can achieve noticeable improvements.

Even if RIM stated that their goal is eight hours they still didn't say they can achieve that goal. We are still more than two months away from an actual product launch. No information about battery life and pricing.

Take out a hard drive with moving parts and put in a flash drive --- of course there is a lot of "once in a lifetime" battery life improvement.
  • Reply 56 of 99
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TNSF View Post

That is certainly Adobe's position, but I'm not convinced its entirely true. My CPU usage, temp and and fan speed are not impacted nearly as much when viewing HTML5 video as compared to viewing Flash video. Of course this is not a scientific assessment, but its still something and its still impacting my experience based on my normal usage.

It depends on what kind of HTML5 video --- h.264 which Apple has hardware accel or webm which doesn't (and I don't even think Safari supports webm).
  • Reply 57 of 99
    Quote:

Take out a hard drive with moving parts and put in a flash drive --- of course there is a lot of "once in a lifetime" battery life improvement.

The current MB and MBP have hard drives and they are rated at 10 hours of battery life and 1000 cycles.

You don't know how much increase in battery life the iPad 2 will get and how much battery life the PlayBook will have. Trying to support your opinion with another opinion as fact is not very clever thing to do.
  • Reply 58 of 99
    bilbo63bilbo63 Posts: 285member
    It's so funny reading this thread where people are arguing about a product that isn't finished and hasn't even shipped. A vapor ware product is being compared to iPad version 1 when in all likelihood, iPad version 2 will have been out for months before RIM ever gets their device out the door.

RIM needs to stay quiet and just finish the thing. The more boasting they do while pushing back the release date makes them look like the Playbook development is out of control. They come off looking desperate. (maybe they are)

While I don't have any serious interest in buying a Playbook, I have nothing against it, nor do I have anything against RIM. Competition is good for the tablet space.
  • Reply 59 of 99
    I love that two out of the four media quotes on RIM's website are from CrackBerry.com (alongside BoyGeniusReport and Oliver Bussman)... seriously? Can you imagine if when Apple released the iPad, their website showed half their endorsements from AppleInsider...???
  • Reply 60 of 99
    Quote:

The current MB and MBP have hard drives and they are rated at 10 hours of battery life and 1000 cycles.

You don't know how much increase in battery life the iPad 2 will get and how much battery life the PlayBook will have. Trying to support your opinion with another opinion as fact is not very clever thing to do.

I know that we are not going to see 20-30% battery life improvements in a given year --- on battery chemistry.