RIM announces 4G PlayBook coming to Sprint summer 2011

1235»

Comments

• Reply 81 of 99
    chiachia Posts: 713member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Hiro View Post

Misinterpretation. nht put samab on ignore, not you.

i understand now, I was confused as he quoted my post and I thought he was referring to me.

nht my apologies.
  • Reply 82 of 99
    hirohiro Posts: 2,663member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by samab View Post

Even iphone's officially rated battery life only went from 7 hours 3G to 9 hours 3GS to 10 hours 4G.

So now you want to talk use phone battery life when the topic was laptop/tablet battery life and the road to that is laptop and netbook battery performance.

And before you try to call foul YOU were the one claiming once in a lifetime laptop battery gains were the only things happening. Shall we expound that even your iPhone battery progression shows a ~43% gain over two years.

Now your basic logical debate and math skills have failed even an 8th grade level test.
  • Reply 83 of 99
    Quote:

It depends on what kind of HTML5 video --- h.264 which Apple has hardware accel or webm which doesn't (and I don't even think Safari supports webm).

webm. You want to use a new, relatively unproven, totally unoptimized and patent suit encumbered codec as an example.

Hey, if Google can't be bothered to optimize or GPU accelerate their codec and OS GUI operations, that's their problem for providing obsolete software on launch.
  • Reply 84 of 99
    Quote:

I know that we are not going to see 20-30% battery life improvements in a given year --- on battery chemistry.

How. You obviously don't stay informed in basic science at all. Spend several years reading the science aggregator sites, not Popular Science/Mechanics et al, but the real aggregators. You are completely talking out your ass not knowing where the tech curve is in the continuum from basic to applied to production research.

While reading daily may not tell you which year something will ship, the rate of progress becomes quite obvious.
  • Reply 85 of 99
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Hiro View Post

So now you want to talk use phone battery life when the topic was laptop/tablet battery life and the road to that is laptop and netbook battery performance.

And before you try to call foul YOU were the one claiming once in a lifetime laptop battery gains were the only things happening. Shall we expound that even your iPhone battery progression shows a ~43% gain over two years.

Now your basic logical debate and math skills have failed even an 8th grade level test.

From G1 to G4:
    Audio: (1400mAh ÷ 24hrs) ÷ (1420mAh ÷ 40hrs) = 1.643 or a 64.3% gain in audio playback per mAh.

Video: (1400mAh ÷ 7hrs) ÷ (1420mAh ÷ 10hrs) = 1.408 or a 40.8% gain in video playback per mAh.

WiFi: (1400mAh ÷ 6hrs) ÷ (1420mAh ÷ 10hrs) = 1.643 or a 64.3% gain in internet usage per mAh.

2G talk: (1400mAh ÷ 8hrs) ÷ (1420mAh ÷ 14hrs) = 1.725 or a 72.5% gain in 2G talk time per mAh.
    That looks pretty damn good to me. Of course, Samab will say that’s mostly because of other power saving improvements which is obviously clear, but that contradicts his earlier statements that Apple can’t make the iPad last any longer than it already does because battery tech doesn’t change fast enough.
  • Reply 86 of 99
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

[IMG]

This appears to be the system multitasking settings:

Deactivate applications:

-- When they leave full screen

-- When new applications become full screen

-- Never (all singing, all dancing)

I expected a little more granularity...

This tablet is targeted enterprise, Correct?

I find the "Never (all singing, all dancing)" terminology a little odd -- maybe its killer app is filming those office parties

Is that all there is?

If that's all there is, my friends, then let's keep dancing

Let's break out the booze and have a ball

If that's all there is

http://web.me.com/dicklacara/ForWeb/...There%20Is.mp3

• Reply 87 of 99
    samabsamab Posts: 1,953member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

That looks pretty damn good to me. Of course, Samab will say that?s mostly because of other power saving improvements which is obviously clear, but that contradicts his earlier statements that Apple can?t make the iPad last any longer than it already does because battery tech doesn?t change fast enough.

That is the battery life improvement for the chipset and OS, not battery chemistry.

I am also saying that idiotic website designers will begin to make cpu intensive html5 websites because basically everybody is going to have a html5 capable browser.

What Apple giveth, idiotic website designers taketh away.
  • Reply 88 of 99
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by fila97 View Post

Apple constantly increase their products feature AND battery life in their mobile devices. Guess youre yoo ignorant to take note of that.

Forgive me if someone else has pointed this out already, but I took a *big* hit in battery life going from 1gen iPhone to iPhone 3GS. Indeed, after two years of use (the typical life of LiION batteries), my 1G still outlasted the 3GS.

Features do cost power. They were worth it in this case.
  • Reply 89 of 99
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post

Forgive me if someone else has pointed this out already, but I took a *big* hit in battery life going from 1gen iPhone to iPhone 3GS. Indeed, after two years of use (the typical life of LiION batteries), my 1G still outlasted the 3GS.

Are you compared ‘2G’ talk v. ‘3G’ because that is the only way you would notice a hit and obviously there are reasons for that. Anything else would mean you have a faulty battery and should have sent/brought it in to get a replacement.
  • Reply 90 of 99
    fila97fila97 Posts: 63member
    Quote:

Your MBP would face the same battery life problem if you go to a website with heavy HTML5 animations and WebM videos without hardware accel. There is no way out.

HTML5 is proven to not hog CPU cycles like flash do, whatever you want to believe. Bs coming out from you doesn't constitute a fact.

Quote:

So you add 1 hour in battery life in the ipad2. Then it basically becomes a question of 11 hours of ipad without flash vs. 8 hours of playbook with flash.

Playbook is not yet out. All the specs provided by RiM are not being tested against by consumers. And their battery lifes are "up to" which I seriously doubt they'll be able to reach a full 8 hours. Cut your bs. We'll know for sure how much the battery stands against regular usage WITH FLASH when RiM finally ships it. In summer 2011 that is.
  • Reply 91 of 99
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    Quote:

Not following your logic. The iPad has about double the screen area, more pixels to push, and gets 25% more battery than what RiM executives are shooting for. Not to mention that interactive Flash sites on the web are still hit of miss on Android, Adobe would have to be the ones to make stable which they still can?t seem to do on Mac OS X, and, most importantly, Apple has nothing to fear from Flash.

Quote:

The ipad battery is also much larger.

And people wonder why Enderle gets away with so much nonsense.

http://www.macnewsworld.com/rsstory/...wlc=1294363759

Enderle says:

"The iPad is heavy for a consumption device," he said. "That weight makes for a shorter battery life."

Huh? The weight makes for a short battery life? So if you make it lighter, it will run longer?

How can you make it lighter? The CPU and Flash weight won't change. There are only two options:

1. Reduce the battery weight - which would obviously not increase the battery life

or

2. Make it smaller. But that wouldn't help, either. The CPU, motherboard, and Flash take up a certain amount of room. If you reduce the system weight by 50%, you reduce the battery by MORE than 50%. And you don't gain enough in reduced lighting power to make up for it (the math is pretty simple).

Why in the world does ANYONE pay attention to what Enderle says?
  • Reply 92 of 99
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

How can you make it lighter?

— Apple doesn’t have to use glass on the iPad. They do it so it’ll break and you’ll have to buy another one. They should use plastic.

— Apple doesn’t have to use aluminium for the iPad case. They do it so they can charge you more when it’s cheaper to use plastic.

How did I do? Did I capture the essence?
  • Reply 93 of 99
    simtubsimtub Posts: 277member
    Quote:

I know that we are not going to see 20-30% battery life improvements in a given year --- on battery chemistry.

Make the ipad overall build and case lighter and replace the shreded weight with a bigger battery similar to what they did with the iPhone4. I personally don't mind the weight of the current iPad. It feels steady in my hand and would love to have an extra ounce of juice for those travelling journeys
  • Reply 94 of 99
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post

Then you are a nearly unique case. My Iphone 1 to iPhone3GS transition added two usable days to my battery life. Granted I'm not logging hard core time online or talking, but battery life increases are proportional for the same usage patterns. You can go nearly a week if you turn off wifi except when you explicitly want to use it.
  • Reply 95 of 99
    Quote:

? Apple doesn?t have to use glass on the iPad. They do it so it?ll break and you?ll have to buy another one. They should use plastic.

? Apple doesn?t have to use aluminium for the iPad case. They do it so they can charge you more when it?s cheaper to use plastic.

How did I do? Did I capture the essence?

That was a very reasonable simulation of several posters this board has seen over the last couple months!
  • Reply 96 of 99
    nhtnht Posts: 4,522member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ChiA View Post

Don't understand your need to tell everybody you're putting me on ignore. I'm not jumping for your bait nor will I in future.

I didn't put you on ignore..odd, is that how you read it? I put samab on ignore after banging my head against that particular wall for a few dozen posts. I'm a slow learner I guess.

Unless you're an alternate account for samab. In which case a banhammer is probably in order.

-- edit never mind...I should read ALL the way to the end of a thread.
  • Reply 97 of 99
    kotatsukotatsu Posts: 1,010member
    Having watched the demos on Engadget of both the Playbook and the Honeycomb tablets, I must say the iPad looks very, very dated by comparison. (and yes, I own an iPad)

The multi-tasking on the Playbook would look good on a desktop PC (for those that haven't seen the video, it was demoed running Quake 3, 1080p video, a photo slideshow, and a music player all at once with high levels of performance), and the form factor looks pretty nice too. Honeycomb looks even better to my eyes, with nice widgets/gadgets and a surprisingly beautiful UI given that it comes from Google.

Using the iPad now feels rather primitive, and I think Apple have their work cut out for them if iOS 5 will be able to match the very high standards being set by Google and RIM.
  • Reply 98 of 99
    tnsftnsf Posts: 203member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kotatsu View Post

Using the iPad now feels rather primitive, and I think Apple have their work cut out for them if iOS 5 will be able to match the very high standards being set by Google and RIM.

I think its important to remember that Apple is the one setting the standard.

Google and RIM have a few interesting ideas in their betas, but many of them are stolen or inspired by what we've already seen from iOS and webOS. Releasing an OS a year later that is only what it is because you've spent a year with iOS and webOS is not impressive. It shows that they remain behind the curve and will continue to struggle against Apple's lead.
  • Reply 99 of 99
    Hiii everyone,

new out here and wanted to know whether to buy a tablet PC available in the markets or to wait for Blackberry playbook 4g to arrive.

i saw a review but i am still confused

Playbook 4g

let me know your views thanks