Apple's iPhone 4 coming to Verizon on Feb. 10 for $199

Comments

• Reply 81 of 254
    asdasdasdasd Posts: 5,686member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by noexpectations View Post

Verizon has once again crippled a device.

Why would I pay more (given good coverage where I am at) for:

No Concurrent Data/Voice (Verizon users....trust me...this is like power windows in a car...once you have it, you wonder how you lived without it)

No Free Wifi

No international coverage (this also results in less demand for selling your used iPhone)

No Rollover Minutes

Visual Voicemail will not update while you are on another call

Unless Verizon has monthly plans at half the price, forget it.

Apparantly the Verizon phone is not for you. It is for other people.
  • Reply 82 of 254
    tulkastulkas Posts: 3,757member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

It is a bit confusing though, or potentially so.

All the stupids will buy the new Verizon iPhone without thinking of the relatively imminent release of iPhone 5. Perhaps Verizon has already worked out a deal with Apple where they will offer a great deal on an upgrade when that happens.

I'm also a bit surprised they didn't name it something else, like "iPhone 4v" or something. It seems odd to have two products with the same name that aren't actually the same thing and don't even operate if you buy the wrong one for your network.

What they were not clear on is if it is a distinct model or if it will be a unified model. It sounds like it would be distinctly a CDMA model. But, even with that said, it would seem somehow un-Apple to have a carrier specific naming convention.
  • Reply 83 of 254
    jpcgjpcg Posts: 114member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Grand Central Dispatch is for OS X, not iOS...

right....

You know what iOS is?
  • Reply 84 of 254
    quevarquevar Posts: 101member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Yuniverse View Post

" iPhone 4 on Verizon Wireless will also include new Personal Hotspot capabilities allowing customers to use iPhone 4 to connect up to five Wi-Fi enabled devices."

Now, that's something to think about... and drool...

Sucks when you get a call though, cause the data will cut out....
  • Reply 85 of 254
    Pictarz?
  • Reply 86 of 254
    herbapouherbapou Posts: 2,228member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

It is a bit confusing though, or potentially so.

All the stupids will buy the new Verizon iPhone without thinking of the relatively imminent release of iPhone 5. Perhaps Verizon has already worked out a deal with Apple where they will offer a great deal on an upgrade when that happens.

How is this different from people buying Iphone4 from any other carriers knowing another version will come out Soon* ?

* Soon: Copyright 0-2011 Life Cycle, Inc. All rights reserved. "Soon" does not imply any particular date, time, decade, century, or millennia in the past, present, and certainly not the future. "Soon" shall make no contract or warranty between Apple and the end user. "Soon" will arrive some day, Apple does guarantee that "soon" will be here before the end of time. Maybe. Do not make plans based on "soon" as Apple will not be liable for any misuse, use, or even casual glancing at "soon."
  • Reply 87 of 254
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jerseymac View Post

To everyone who said it wouldn't happen...

To everyone who said it couldn't happen

To everyone who said it shouldn't happen...

I have one word for you...

HA!

About damn time Apple.

AND...

To everyone who said Apple wouldn't build a CDMA iPhone...

To everyone who said Apple wouldn't release a non full featured iPhone (Talk and Data same time)...

To everyone who thought they knew Apple...

As Clint Eastwood once said in one of his many shoot 'em up movies...

"A man's got to know his limitations!"

/

/

/
  • Reply 88 of 254
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dli11 View Post

No, it just means that Verizon has roaming agreements with CDMA networks which are compatible with the Verizon iPhone 4 in 40 countries.

True....but check out that list of countries....not a real good list for vacations (IE Western Europe, AP)
  • Reply 89 of 254
    My interest is now that Verizon has the iPhone, will their network have the same issues as AT&T? Before anyone answer with some positive NO, lets see what happens for rest of this year.

I for one believe Verizon should not throw stones(comment on AT&T coverage), since they maybe living in a glass house themselves.
  • Reply 90 of 254
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iGuessSo View Post

"iPhone 4 on Verizon Wireless will also include new Personal Hotspot capabilities allowing customers to use iPhone 4 to connect up to five Wi-Fi enabled devices."

Did I miss the part where it says this is at no extra charge?

Pricing plans are still not available. So, no information about:
    • Visual Voicemail fees, if any

• Tethering fees, if any

• Hotspot fees, if any

• Data plans

• Voice plans

• Texting plans

While I doubt there'll be significant changes in the Voice/Texting plans, there may be different data plans - i.e. an iPhone data plan that includes Visual Voicemail, Tethering and Hotspot.
  • Reply 91 of 254
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iStud View Post

You should not even mention Roughly Drafted Magazine, the way you were thoroughly humiliated yesterday, your total loss of cool, anger out of control, and finally being just ignored by every member there, is still on-line for the whole www to read. Still you brag about it! Should the whole world come to read your humiliation?

Wasn't humiliated at all. DED still hasn't admitted he is wrong and pretends he isn't.

Of course for you and everyone else, ignorance is bliss, and CES is a failure because apple announced an app store during it.

If that isn't RDF, what is?

Of course, you iStud are weakest member here. You only come and post when you want to troll back. I dare you to try and get DED out of this one. No matter what, he was wrong, and you cannot deny that one bit.
  • Reply 92 of 254
    jpcgjpcg Posts: 114member
    Quote:

well since iOS basically is OS X it will be easy to port it, if it isn't already.
  • Reply 93 of 254
    Don't see any signs of Verizon's CRAPWARE pre-installed like all their phones do. I guess the iPhone continues to be the only phone unbastardized by the carriers..
  • Reply 94 of 254
    Quote:

But why? Are they really going to pit them against each other like this with a staggered release?

What staggered release? Apple released a minimally altered version of the iPhone 4 with a CDMA radio. There are two reasons I suspect for the timing.

1) the iPhone 4 will be around for at least a year or two. When the 5 comes out, this will become the low end phone.

2) Contracts are routinely written for the new year.
  • Reply 95 of 254
    nasseraenasserae Posts: 3,167member
    Quote:

It is in iOS as well.
  • Reply 96 of 254
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Postulant View Post

I consider the 5 device Mobile Hotspot to be the best news... apparently, AppleInsider thinks otherwise.

What good is that? "Hold on everyone. I got to shut the hot spot off while I make a call."
  • Reply 97 of 254
    s4mb4s4mb4 Posts: 267member
    maybe now that Verizon offers HotSpot, AT&T will too.

I have a tethering plan, but it requires a cable or BT to a single device......
  • Reply 98 of 254
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rot'nApple View Post

AND...

To everyone who said Apple wouldn't build a CDMA iPhone...

To everyone who said Apple wouldn't release a non full featured iPhone (Talk and Data same time)...

To everyone who thought they knew Apple...

As Clint Eastwood once said in one of his many shoot 'em up movies...

"A man's got to know his limitations!"

/

/

/

Film is 'Magnum Force ' http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0070355/quotes
  • Reply 99 of 254
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tulkas View Post

What they were not clear on is if it is a distinct model or if it will be a unified model. It sounds like it would be distinctly a CDMA model. But, even with that said, it would seem somehow un-Apple to have a carrier specific naming convention.

Which is probably why Apple will just go back to calling it iPhone or if it's so damned important to have a qualifier at this stage in the game, just denote it by year... iPhone '11. That way, no matter when it happens to be released on ATT, Verizon, whenever on Sprint or TMo, if there were four different release dates within the year, naming it by year will cover all models released that year.

Problem Solved!
  • Reply 100 of 254
    You're right; lots of info missing. Were they avoiding those issues because they're not good news?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by tshort View Post

Pricing plans are still not available. So, no information about:
    • Visual Voicemail fees, if any

• Tethering fees, if any

• Hotspot fees, if any

• Data plans

• Voice plans

• Texting plans

While I doubt there'll be significant changes in the Voice/Texting plans, there may be different data plans - i.e. an iPhone data plan that includes Visual Voicemail, Tethering and Hotspot.