From one medical leave to another: Steve Jobs steers Apple's most successful era ever

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
From his return to Apple in June of 2009 until another medical leave of absence announced Monday, Steve Jobs oversaw a number of milestones and major product launches during an active, successful year-and-a-half span. AppleInsider offers a look back at the role Jobs played in the most lucrative period in Apple's storied history.

June 2009 - Jobs returns to work

Jobs last left Apple in January 2009, a six-month leave of absence that was due to "complex health issues." The last time, as is the case in his current hiatus, Chief Operating Officer Tim Cook was left in charge.

Jobs returned to work in June 2009 after he underwent a liver transplant at Methodist University Hospital in Tennessee.

The Apple co-founder wasted little time to return to the stage for one of his trademark keynotes in September 2009. It was his first public appearance in nearly a year, earning Jobs a standing ovation at the Yerba Buena Center for the Arts in San Francisco.

"I'm very happy to be here today with you all," Jobs said in 2009. "As some of you know, about five months ago I had a liver transplant. I now have the liver of a mid-20s person who died in a car crash and was generous enough to donate their organs."

"I am alive because of their generosity," he added. "I hope we all can be that generous. I'd like to thank everyone in the Apple community for their concern. It means a lot. I'd like to thank Tim Cook, and everyone at Apple who rose to the occasion. Thank you guys."

Jobs' appearance in September 2009 would prove to only be a teaser for the real main event to come.

Steve Jobs was spotted back on Apple's campus in June 2009 by TMZ.

Jan. 2010 - Introducing the iPad

Buzz continued to build for months that Apple was planning to release a touchscreen tablet and spiritual successor to the Newton. That speculation reached a fever pitch in early 2010, when Apple sent out invitations teasing that it would unveil a new product to the masses.

At a keynote on Jan. 27, 2010, Jobs again took the stage to unveil the iPad. One report alleged that Jobs believes the iPad is the most important thing he's ever done in his storied career at Apple.

Jobs would later explain that he believes the iPad and devices like it will bring about the transition to a post-PC era, where new form factors and smaller devices will represent most users' computing needs.

The Apple co-founder recalled that the U.S. automobile industry was previously dominated by larger trucks, which were driven by farmers. But smaller, more compact cars became more popular as cities grew and features like power steering and automatic transmission were added to the cars.

"PCs are going to be like trucks," Jobs said, noting that they will still be around, but will represent a smaller number of people.

Steve Jobs at the Palo Alto Apple Store for the iPad launch. Photo credit Cedric Lignier.

It took little time for the iPad to exceed the Mac in terms of sales. In just its second quarter of availability, the iPad bested the Mac, as Apple sold 4.19 million of its tablet, versus 3.89 million of the Mac.

April 2010 - Jobs slams Adobe Flash

Jobs' disdain for Adobe Flash was no secret, but in April 2010 he laid his opinions bare for all to see in an open letter he published on Apple's website. In it, he slammed the browser plugin as unfit for the modern era of computing.

The comments served to justify why Flash has not been allowed on Apple's mobile devices powered by the iOS operating system, like the iPhone and iPad. Jobs said that Flash is inefficient in consuming system resources, leading to shorter battery life on mobile devices.

He said that the poor performance of Flash on traditional computers has proven that Adobe's application runtime should not be allowed on iOS devices.

"Flash is the number one reason Macs crash," Jobs wrote. "We have been working with Adobe to fix these problems, but they have persisted for several years now."

Comments

• Reply 1 of 61
    Maybe he's sick cuz he keeps bashing everyone else
  • Reply 2 of 61
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,728member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by huntson View Post

You sir, are sick.
  • Reply 3 of 61
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,728member
    There are simply no words to describe my admiration for Steve. All I can say is, get well soon.
  • Reply 4 of 61
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Despite the asshats that claim Jobs shouldn?t run Apple or that we should everything about his condition down to the consistency of his stool, Apple has continued to do Amazingly well and has a roadmap, that even without knowing it in detail, far exceeds the competition because they have so well. Even without Jobs at the helm Apple will still be growing at an alarming rate.
  • Reply 5 of 61
    Misery Get well soon.
  • Reply 6 of 61
    Quote:

Maybe you are fucking dickhead?
  • Reply 7 of 61
    daharderdaharder Posts: 1,580member
    Jobs has done some fine work, but one man is not a company.
  • Reply 8 of 61
    Quote:

Sez the anonymous guy bashing a complete stranger in a public forum.
  • Reply 9 of 61
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    Quote:

A very ugly comment at an inappropriate time.

Steve Jobs has done a huge service to all of us by making information technology into an art form.
  • Reply 10 of 61
    Ignore the troll guys, no reason to keep quoting his vileness.
  • Reply 11 of 61
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    It's probably just a stress leave and not as serious as the leave last time, I'd bet.
  • Reply 12 of 61
    I'm guessing all those turtlenecks are starting to cause respiratory problems.

On a more serious note, the health issues might be caused by the liver transplant not taking a hold as well as it should have. Which doesn't bode well for Steve, since not even private favour-the-wealthy healthcare in the US can guarantee a transplant, let alone the second time.
  • Reply 13 of 61
    ivladivlad Posts: 742member
    I really hope Steve recovers fast and feels better. But to all criticism and worries I just wanted to add that Steve is not Apple. Apple is a collection of thousands very talented employees. Even if Steve decides to leave Apple and really live a family life, Apple is not going to shut down and collapse.

Just wanted everyone to realize that.
  • Reply 14 of 61
    The last time Steve was sick, he had time to work out the details and to concentrate on the product we now know as the iPad. Today he is sick again, perhaps all this sick time will give him time to rest and watch TV, Apple TV. Hopefully he will get well soon, but for those that think a little time off is a bad thing for Apple, witness the iPad. As far as I'm concerned, Tim Cook does a fine job running the company, I would rather see Steve Jobs doing what he does best, innovating. Let Tim run the company and Steve can take all the time he wants with the family, he has earned it, and when he is motivated to have the time and freedom that is required when in the process of innovating new products.

Here's to Steve's health, may it improve quickly, and to his innovative spirit, may we all be touched by his visions of what technology can do for us.

Best wishes Steve.
  • Reply 15 of 61
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by myapplelove View Post

Ignore the troll guys, no reason to keep quoting his vileness.

That advice itself deserves to be quoted. I didn't realize I would be the fourth one to jump on his comment.
  • Reply 16 of 61
    iliveriliver Posts: 299member
    This reads like a Bloomberg premature obit. Almost seems like AppleInsider had this all set to go. Sad.
  • Reply 17 of 61
    iliveriliver Posts: 299member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iVlad View Post

I really hope Steve recovers fast and feels better. But to all criticism and worries I just wanted to add that Steve is not Apple. Apple is a collection of thousands very talented employees. Even if Steve decides to leave Apple and really live a family life, Apple is not going to shut down and collapse.

Just wanted everyone to realize that.

Totally disagree- it's his vision, his control that has made Apple.

Like Walt Disney and Henry Ford before him.
  • Reply 18 of 61
    Quote:

Maybe you are fucking dickhead?
  • Reply 19 of 61
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iLiver View Post

Totally disagree- it's his vision, his control that has made Apple.

Like Walt Disney and Henry Ford before him.

And yet both of those companies have achieved great financial success long after Walt and Henry passed on.
  • Reply 20 of 61
    newbeenewbee Posts: 2,055member
    Quote:

And yet another troll has succumbed to the "green eyed monster".