Apple now the largest mobile phone vendor on earth

Comments

• Reply 81 of 125
    I personally think that, while the future of industrial and enterprise computing most surely wont be running on iOS or Andoid, it will be moving to UNIX/Linux-based operating systems.

MS at some point will have to do a complete rewrite of Windows. They just can't pile any more baggage on that legacy beast.

The funny thing is is that they have continued to be able to "pile it on" due to Moore's Law and processor technology outpacing their software achievements and upgrades. This strategy has left them out in the cold in the mobile space where small and efficient operating systems are needed.

Even though I'm all-in with Apple, I would like to see a major company picking up a Linux distro and truly bringing it to the masses. HP maybe?

Google's making all the moves at the moment towards that end with Chrome, but we know exactly why... and it's not about the customer or user experience, or about empowering it's IT partners with leading edge embedded operating systems. It does appear that Android/Chrome is getting into the heads of developers in a big way, as is iOS. So where does that leave old boring .NET & VB devs?

My nephews... one 2-1/2 the other 12... are both learning on Macs and Apple devices. Yes, even the 2-year old can use the iPad and the iPhone. Simply amazing watching him do it(!) I seriously don't see either of them entering the workforce and being subjected to Windows, even though there will probably be a lot of money to be made supporting legacy hard/software(?)

I started out evangelizing the Mac and Apple in '84, and having a tough time doing it through the late 90's. We as users only know half of the mind-searching and doubts that Steve and Co. had to go through to get to this point. That's why you are almost obliged to recognize not only the technical vision, but mostly the dedication against all odds and the naysayers, to carry it out in such bold and profitable fashion.

So regarding "fashionable": I hope BOLD, dedicated, and profitable remain "in" for a long time to come.
  • Reply 82 of 125
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sflocal View Post

.....and Android should really take a step back and decide what it is they are trying to accomplish with their product.

Everything before this quote was dead on.

They don't need to "step back", because they're executing on all cylinders according to their focus: sell and deliver more ads.
  • Reply 83 of 125
    jfanningjfanning Posts: 3,398member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jahonen View Post

Comparing a 23% VAT included unsubsidised pre-order price with a subsidised street price again Hill60? Facts are what they are, why skew them intentionally?

Like every comment he every makes.
  • Reply 84 of 125
    jfanningjfanning Posts: 3,398member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Nokia and New Zealand suck!

Brilliant example of the constant crap you post.
  • Reply 85 of 125
    The Article states that Apple sold 16.2 million phones in the quarter, for $10.47 billion, which translates to $646 per phone - is that really what Apple averages in revenue per phone, or are iPads and iPods being folded into this number? It would be nice if AppleInsider would cite some of its figures once in awhile, although this kind of "my penis is bigger than yours" within the Jobs reality field is par for the course around here...
  • Reply 86 of 125
    simtubsimtub Posts: 277member
    Congrats Apple!

All this with only 4 models of phones. The iPhone 2G, 3G, 3GS & 4

Just the other day I was looking for a place to take passport photographs in HK. Where would you normally find out this info in a city you are not familiar with? I ended up using the local MTR APP to search via stations and the App listed whether individual stations had banks, atms, convenient stores, photosbooths etc etc. 4 years ago I don't think the ease of information access and fact finding would have been possible. Now that's what I call a real 'smart'phone!
  • Reply 87 of 125
    richlrichl Posts: 2,213member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Superbass View Post

The Article states that Apple sold 16.2 million phones in the quarter, for $10.47 billion, which translates to $646 per phone - is that really what Apple averages in revenue per phone, or are iPads and iPods being folded into this number?

I've seen it quoted on other sites as "mobile devices and accessories". So it could include iPad sales, but I would doubt it includes iPods.
  • Reply 88 of 125
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by White Rabbit View Post

Thanks for the comment on my post.

Yes, what you also wrote is too true, but slowly, although gathering much pace, the worm turns, and it is Apple leading the way.

I have to use a PC at work, here is how a typical days goes by:

1. Boot up (with a few minutes)

2. Okay, Outlook is down for the zillionith time, re-boot

3. Still down, notify help desk, "yes we know there is a proble, looking into it:

4. Communicator is down, when its not, get missed calls, ghosts at the other end

Maybe I'm holding the receiver wrong lol !

5. If I'm call that week, I lug the wonderful brilliant and amazing Dell laptop home

"Dad why are you bringing that piece of crap (our code for PCs) into our home ? The kids ask

6. It takes 5 mins and 7 secs to boot the Dell (my 10 year old G4 takes 15 secs) and my

5 year old MBP takes about 45 secs, go figure ?

Do you maintain your car? Or do you just complain when smoke comes out of the tailpipe and it won't start easily?

Clue: It takes a long time to boot up because you have set it to start a bunch of applications upon booting. The applications which load at boot are completely within your control, and do not start at boot unless told or allowed to do so. The first batch of crap to disable includes Apple Mobile Device Helper and all the rest of the crap that Apple doesn't tell you is set to load at startup. Your boot times will decrease significantly.
  • Reply 89 of 125
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by simtub View Post

Congrats Apple!

Just the other day I was looking for a place to take passport photographs in HK. Where would you normally find out this info in a city you are not familiar with?

Yellow Pages?

Concierge?

Business Associates?

Laptop?

Business bar at the Hotel?

Gift shop in the lobby?

Desk Clerk?

Convenience store down the block?

Telephone call to the Embassy?

Thank Goodness that the iPhone is available for Apple customers. They might be helpless otherwise.

Did you know that Google phones can now translate speech from one language to another in real time? So with one of those, you could ask anybody anything.
  • Reply 90 of 125
    jahonenjahonen Posts: 364member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sflocal View Post

Arbitrary limitations as you have stated is more a gripe with the technically-savvy folks and not the masses. It's why they have such issues with Apple's approach, yet the masses embrace. The reason they embrace Apple's approach is because for the past few decades, Joe-consumer became fed-up with the PC paradigm and having to micromanage everything about how computers worked. People want toasters.

I agree with you mostly there. Simplification is not the bad thing I was getting at. The things that "bug" real average Joes are things like inability to transfer contacts or ringtones or songs via bluetooth (something that A LOT of the teenagers in this country seem to be doing). I don't know if the same limit applies to photos (no iPhone, just iPad and iMac and iPod), but for teens (the fashion trendsetters) things like this do bug the heck out of them. In fact many of them that I've talked with have already said "iPhone is for wannabe cools since even soccer moms have it and it's too restrictive". It wasn't like this a year ago.

A lot of it has to do with the fact that Android's UI is "comparable" in their eyes. What if WebOS, Symbian and Meego do the same (at least that's what they state they are bringing out). What's going to be differentiator for average Joe if the usability is just as good? What's left? Fashionable - Yes but for how long? Build quality - does the populace really care? Bang for buck - no. That's why I made the original point. How long can Apple stay ahead far enough to keep margins and market share like this. Last year I made a mental bet of 2-4 years. Interesting to see how wrong or correct I was. This is indeed a very interesting social/business/tech paradigm shift we are living in.

We can hide under the "Apple knows best and thinks about your ease of use". But I'm not 100% convinced that's the case anymore with growing portion of the general public. Apple definitely has momentum currently, but it certainly seems like an opposing momentum is buildin up. That's only natural, there's always an anti-movement for any really successful story.
  • Reply 91 of 125
    Quote:

They are both terms.

http://web.me.com/dicklacara/ForWeb/...d%20Blazes.m4a
  • Reply 92 of 125
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Patranus View Post

If you haven't noticed the goal of a company is to generate revenue.

If you can generate more revenue with fewer sales, you are better company.

Actually, the goal of business is to make profit, at the risk of a loss!
  • Reply 93 of 125
    jcozjcoz Posts: 251member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by christopher126 View Post

Wow! This is utterly amazing! I know it's competition and good for the consumer, but schmidt/google really screwed over Stevo by getting the inside scoop while sitting on apple's board. Just think how much apple would've sold without android phones pretending to be just as good as the iPhone? Oh well, I know I should just get over it and move on. But it was a dirty deal none the less!

I dont think they can sell more phones than they have the ability to manufacture.
  • Reply 94 of 125
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    In space, no one can hear you scream (when your iPhone drops the call)

...There's a reason a certain blue-and-white globe is called the Death Star.
  • Reply 95 of 125
    anonymouseanonymouse Posts: 6,860member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ThePixelDoc View Post

Everything before this quote was dead on.

They don't need to "step back", because they're executing on all cylinders according to their focus: sell and deliver more ads.

So, all one cylinders?
  • Reply 96 of 125
    Quote:

Nokia and New Zealand suck!

Naughty Naughty
  • Reply 97 of 125
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nvidia2008 View Post

In space, no one can hear you scream (when your iPhone drops the call)

...There's a reason a certain blue-and-white globe is called the Death Star.

That?s what I?m talking about! I was thinking of something along those lines but couldn?t word it right. Teamwork FTW!

Quote:
    Originally Posted by nvidia2008 View Post

Naughty Naughty

That was an inside joke. I only expected one person to take it seriously.
  • Reply 98 of 125
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SomeCallMe...Tim View Post

Do you maintain your car? Or do you just complain when smoke comes out of the tailpipe and it won't start easily?

Clue: It takes a long time to boot up because you have set it to start a bunch of applications upon booting. The applications which load at boot are completely within your control, and do not start at boot unless told or allowed to do so. The first batch of crap to disable includes Apple Mobile Device Helper and all the rest of the crap that Apple doesn't tell you is set to load at startup. Your boot times will decrease significantly.

Amazing. You figured out a way to bash Apple when the main problem is Windows.

SomeCallYou...Troll
  • Reply 99 of 125
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

I'd agree on Macs as such but I think iOS is the future for a while at least (which was my far too subtle point). The argument for using MS as a basis for the future is far from sound IMHO.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by hentaiboy View Post

So in 5~10 years time you think that 90% of all businesses Worldwide (or is that Earthwide ) will be using iOS devices as their primary computing system.

That's a bold call

Five years at the outside -- most business personnel will be using iOS devices as their primary computing system.
  • Reply 100 of 125
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SomeCallMe...Tim View Post

Clue: It takes a long time to boot up because you have set it to start a bunch of applications upon booting. The applications which load at boot are completely within your control, and do not start at boot unless told or allowed to do so. ...

MS and Apple-bashing aside, many millions of Windows laptops are company-issued and prevent the user from doing any of the above. I have one whose laptop takes at least 15 minutes to boot to a usable state. It has been "installing updates" for the past 1,536 hours. It's running XP and Exploder version 6 since I surmise migrating to Win7 is economically unfeasible.

In short, it's utter crap.

Of course none of this is MS's fault, it's strictly the company's fault along with its inept IT department. Problem is, their deployment is so large (20,000+ laptops and perhaps even more thin clients), and their IT department has so much turnover that I'm convinced there's no longer anyone around who knows how to fix any of this.

Due to vague "security concerns" iPhones and now iPads are officially prohibited for business use (only Blackberries are permitted) but everyone is not-so-secretly.using them anyway. Even the IT techs use them.

The tipping point is rapidly approaching.