Apple now the largest mobile phone vendor on earth

123457»

Comments

• Reply 121 of 125
    jfanningjfanning Posts: 3,398member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

That was an inside joke. I only expected one person to take it seriously.

I take nothing you write seriously.
  • Reply 122 of 125
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AIaddict View Post

Closer to a dozen different SKU's. iPhone, iPhone 3G, iPhone 3Gs, iPhone 4, each offered in different capacities, sometimes with different colors, at different pricepoints.

Yeah, but it really is one model and one OS platform. The SKU variation are not trivial but not diverting development resources or straining manufacturing or customer support resources. At the end of the day nobody cares how many units you ship. It is all how much much money you make.

Nokia, Samsung, LG and others have engaged in a race to the bottom that requires them to flood the market to capture very slim margins on basically throw away "plan" and feature phones. Android has given Samsung, Motorola and others a little boost but they still treat it like a feature of the phone and not a platform, meaning they don't build on it, they just offer it becuse they think the market wants it. They release it on the model of the phone that is current and never look back to support it. Just push the next new model instead.
  • Reply 123 of 125
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Possibly, but we have to keep in mind that MS is still making record revenue and profits (still more profit than Apple)...

Apple's net profit in the last quarter was $6.004 billion. As far as I know, MS has never made that much net profit.
  • Reply 124 of 125
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by crustyjusty View Post

This should probably be titled "Apple now the highest-revenue phone vendor on earth," or something like that. Because Nokia is a larger company

By any measure, Nokia is a much smaller company than Apple.

For example, Nokia's total revenue for its last fiscal year was $55 billion (and declining) compared to Apple's $65 billion (and growing at 60%+ per year). Nokia's current market cap is $39 billion compared to Apple's $305 billion.
  • Reply 125 of 125
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by s.ballmer View Post

Apple's net profit in the last quarter was $6.004 billion. As far as I know, MS has never made that much net profit.

In the quarter preceding the holiday quarter MS did $5.41 billion in net income. For that same quarter Apple did $4.31 billion.

In the holiday quarter a year prior MS had $6.66 billion in net income. It?s likely they they exceeded their YoY profits this year, too. We?ll know for sure next Thursday. In any regard, any lead MS still has in profits will not be lasting very long.