Apple's Tim Cook profiled as "most powerful gay man in Silicon Valley"

Comments

• Reply 261 of 335
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mstone View Post

Oh sorry I was unaware that 'partner' was the new PC term. Substitute any word you like in that sentence and the meaning does not change, unless you really mean partner, as in gay marriage, then that obviously wouldn't elicit the same public response as it would already be common knowledge.

You say that you can substitute any word and it would not change the meaning. Now how about if we refer to a non-married straight executive and talk about their girlfriend but instead refer to her as his lover. That doesn't change the meaning at all, now does it?
  • Reply 262 of 335
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by xamian View Post

You say that you can substitute any word and it would not change the meaning. Now how about if we refer to a non-married straight executive and talk about their girlfriend but instead refer to her as his lover. That doesn't change the meaning at all, now does it?

There is certainly a derogatory association with the term’s usage, but did mstone’s quip mean it that way. His defense suggests that he didn’t. Lover seems to focus on the physical act of coitus while partner, spouse and other terms seem to focus on the emotonal pairing of the couple.
  • Reply 263 of 335
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by KristenM View Post

I am beyond disgusted by this article.

You took gossip and speculation by a tabloid and expanded it into a horrible piece of junk.

Outing someone is NEVER okay and to do so in this manner is beyond disgusting.

It's offensive, trashy, and uncalled for.

AI moved to tabloid quality today and it is officially being deleted from my list of sites that I check several times a day.

While I understand and even agree with your disgust over the repeating of tabloid trash tactics, I am a little glad that Valleywag did it. Not that I think Cook is gay, care either way o think he should be outed or any of that. I just enjoy the idea of them shooting themselves yet again after last years iPad and iPhone stunts. They will keep pulling crap like this and piss off everyone. Or really cross a line and get sued for defamation of character or some such. And they will deserve it

And I still wonder when the last Verizon event before the iPhone 4 was. Maybe Apple didn't have to force Verizon to exclude Gawker. Maybe the Big V was already done with that friendship after the prior stunts
  • Reply 264 of 335
    realisticrealistic Posts: 1,154member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Futuristic View Post

... "Gossip" usually deals with something negative or scandalous. It appears that Tim Cook is already "out", so there's nothing gossipy about this article. ...

Gossip is not based on facts but speculation. If Cook is not in fact gay, I would imagine he would consider this gossip as negative. All reports of his being gay have been pure speculation. Please show me one source where he himself says he is gay. Whether he is or isn't is irrelevant but you continue to spread the gossip with your remark even though you can't provide any verification where Cook himself said he was gay.
  • Reply 265 of 335
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by xamian View Post

Look you guys are just trying to put your argument on me but I am just stating how I imagine the typical conservative stockholder would react to sensational news reports. Personally I wouldn't care if he was caught in a motel room with a farm animal. It makes no difference to me if he is gay or not as long as he doesn't screw up and make the stock drop.
  • Reply 266 of 335
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by armaster73 View Post

If this was a story about the most powerful minority or female CEO in the US, everyone would be proud that Apple was getting this attention. (How many stories did we hear about Carly Fiorina when she took over at HP?)

Someone being female, or black/Asian/whatever isn't private knowledge. Unlike being gay which is private.

And then there is the fact that Cook has not stated as fact that he is gay. So this is all rumor that could be untrue. plus the implications in the source material that there is something wrong with his being gay (if it is true) and that most folks are homophones and this could ruin the company, because they won't buy anything from the company run by the gay guy
  • Reply 267 of 335
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by armaster73 View Post

If this was a story about the most powerful minority or female CEO in the US, everyone would be proud that Apple was getting this attention. (How many stories did we hear about Carly Fiorina when she took over at HP?)

Did we commend Fiorina for being mentally challenged and being as successful at getting high ranking positions in companies even though she runs them into the ground?
  • Reply 268 of 335
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

There is certainly a derogatory association with the term’s usage, but did mstone’s quip mean it that way. His defense suggests that he didn’t. Lover seems to focus on the physical act of coitus while partner, spouse and other terms seem to focus on the emotional pairing of the couple.

I don't think Mstone knows what he means... all one has to ask is, "how sensational is it for one gay man to be with another gay man?". It aint news but for some reason or other Mstone thinks it's news and it will make the stock drop. What Mstone doesn't get is that it doesn't matter unless Cook is caught in bed with a 12 year old (or a farm animal)... that's news because both acts are illegal.

Lover??!! Can Tim not date?! Can he not have a life?!

What fuckin' century is this guy from??!!
  • Reply 269 of 335
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by addabox View Post

Whenever I hear about some prominent heterosexual "involved" with a member of the "opposite sex" I get a little queasy considering their choice to take a "lover" and involve themselves in a "tryst."

I recently watched an episode of "Jersey Shore", and I have to say I resent having the heterosexual lifestyle (which frankly appears to be kind of a horrorshow, although I'm sure the PC crowd will get on my case for saying so) pushed in my face. I think its fine what heterosexuals do in the privacy of their own (poorly decorated) bedrooms, or sweaty sex clubs, or "that part of town", just don't go around making a big deal out of it.

Touché!
  • Reply 271 of 335
    Quote:

Then this gay has been bottoming out all my stocks in this bear market all week. (see what I did there? )

PS: Jobs is still acting CEO, not Cook.

Daily, I read a lot of market bulletins on AAPL, and follow a lot of tech sites that discuss Apple.

AI and this article/thread is the only place I have seen this gossip being discussed.

I wonder why.
  • Reply 272 of 335
    bigpicsbigpics Posts: 1,397member
    Slow news day, ehhh?

Or just looking for something you well knew would light up the boards??

For the faction arguing that the story's germane because it highlights where we've come and still need to get to in order to have a world where we've left old prejudices behind, you have half a point, but I remind you that it'd be different if Cook (assuming he hasn't been mis- or partly mis-characterized in this "reportage") had already announced (if he considered it an "event") or always simply discussed his presumed orientation openly.

But since he didn't, this is just "As the Apple Turns (Inside Out)"....
  • Reply 273 of 335
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

Daily, I read a lot of market bulletins on AAPL, and follow a lot of tech sites that discuss Apple.

AI and this article/thread is the only place I have seen this gossip being discussed.

I wonder why.

A few other Mac/Tech sites have picked up the story, late in the day,... maybe they were jealous of the extra hits that AI was getting...
  • Reply 274 of 335
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

A few other Mac/Tech sites have picked up the story, late in the day,... maybe they were jealous of the extra hits that AI was getting...

Which ones... I did a search and all I found were links to this or the valleywag article/
  • Reply 275 of 335
    jasenj1jasenj1 Posts: 923member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dunks View Post

I thought it was a great article. As a gay man I enjoy reading about people being successful in the traditionally homophobic boys club of big business.

Cook has not claimed to be homosexual. The original article cites a couple of anonymous sources saying they're pretty sure he is. Cook's sexual orientation is brought up way down in the article yet is run as the headline on both the original and AI's cut & paste job.

The headlines of both articles are click-trolls. And both articles have been soundly criticized for being poor excuses for journalism.

- Jasen.
  • Reply 276 of 335
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jasenj1 View Post

Cook has not claimed to be homosexual. The original article cites a couple of anonymous sources saying they're pretty sure he is. Cook's sexual orientation is brought up way down in the article yet is run as the headline on both the original and AI's cut & paste job.

The headlines of both articles are click-trolls. And both articles have been soundly criticized for being poor excuses for journalism.

- Jasen.

Sadly, this thread has, by far, the most posts of any AI thread todat or yesterday.

I would have preferred discussing something like:

Will Eric Schmidt Become Apple CEO?

http://www.ibtimes.com/articles/1035...hone-ipad.htm#

My vote: Tim: Yea; Eric: No livin' way!
  • Reply 277 of 335
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

Sadly, this thread has, by far, the most posts of any AI thread todat or yesterday.

I would have preferred discussing something like:

Will Eric Schmidt Become Apple CEO?

http://www.ibtimes.com/articles/1035...hone-ipad.htm#

My vote: Tim: Yea; Eric: No livin' way!

Maybe Eric and Tim can be ?dual-core? co-CEO ?partners?.
  • Reply 278 of 335
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bigpics View Post

Slow news day, ehhh?

Or just looking for something you well knew would light up the boards??

For the faction arguing that the story's germane because it highlights where we've come and still need to get to in order to have a world where we've left old prejudices behind, you have half a point, but I remind you that it'd be different if Cook (assuming he hasn't been mis- or partly mis-characterized in this "reportage") had already announced (if he considered it an "event") or always simply discussed his presumed orientation openly.

But since he didn't, this is just "As the Apple Turns (Inside Out)"....

For the most part I agree. I do however think Tim will gave to be above these kind of concerns and I suspect he is by a mile. This can't be his first rodeo. He's 51 and is second in command at apple. He will be just fine and will handle any questions like the professional he is. The focus for him will be the awesome products that apple makes. That's why he gets the big bucks.
  • Reply 279 of 335
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by LouisTheXIV View Post

what?!?!?! ....a....gay...is running apple?

Uh oh.... it's time for a teabagger boycott! Windowz rulzzzz!!!

you sound like an 18 year old who hasnt matured yet and still beats off to a Victoras' Secret catalog .. why this is even a story I will never understand but you know what, Tim Cook being gay or not will be the demise of RIMM. Besides he graduated from AUBURN.. Now grow up and quit acting like a 3rd grader.
  • Reply 280 of 335
    Quote:

Maybe Eric and Tim can be ?dual-core? co-CEO ?partners?.

Eew...

(message too short)