Comments

• Reply 201 of 226
    macrulezmacrulez Posts: 2,455member
    deleted
  • Reply 202 of 226
    hirohiro Posts: 2,663member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nht View Post

Actually it should be called IBM/Linux given all the tech IBM gave to linux (JFS, RCU, etc). If it weren't for the corporate coders Linux would be about as interesting as OpenBSD. IBM and HP poured millions into Linux to destroy Sun and they succeeded.

I hadn't thought of the the IBM/Sun battle that way, but it definitely makes sense. Given that, maybe it was Sun that was behind SCO and not Microsoft???
  • Reply 203 of 226
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacRulez View Post

Wouldn't Apple's Time Capsule qualify as a NAS?

No. NAS is needlessly complex and difficult to set up.

YMMV, but I've yet to meet anyone who isn't a networking professional that set up a NAS without aging 10 years and pulling out a lot of hair.
  • Reply 204 of 226
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by screamingfist View Post

"GNU would be just another license". You can't even understand your own post? you are a joke.

Yeah, you're the winnah you think? That's just pathetic you-got-nothing-left, wanna-be-but-failed, troll tactics. When you learn to read with context and not split sentence snippets out of their context come back. English as a written and spoken language is a bit more flexible than you want to make it. Everyone here knows GNU owns the GPL and that the GPL is the sole reason GNU exists. It's not far-fetched to address the entity and the license as a semi-common entity-pairing. That you could choose to ignore that is just charming dahling!

You're so easy to manipulate, it's pure genius! All we need to do is use sentences that a fifth grader could write and understand and watch you incorrectly parse them out into self-induced idiocy!
  • Reply 205 of 226
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Hiro View Post

Yeah, you're the winnah you think? That's just pathetic you-got-nothing-left, wanna-be-but-failed, troll tactics. When you learn to read with context and not split sentence snippets out of their context come back. English as a written and spoken language is a bit more flexible than you want to make it. Everyone here knows GNU owns the GPL and that the GPL is the sole reason GNU exists. It's not far-fetched to address the entity and the license as a semi-common entity-pairing. That you could choose to ignore that is just charming dahling!

You're so easy to manipulate, it's pure genius! All we need to do is use sentences that a fifth grader could write and understand and watch you incorrectly parse them out into self-induced idiocy!

so funny how you blow up when caught in your own idiocy. you could take some tips from a 5th grader on sentence composition.

i also see you are going on your rounds with your pathetic responses to others as well.

i might feel pity for you if you weren't so laughable.
  • Reply 206 of 226
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by theolein View Post

I am a system administrator for a large design agency that uses about 80% Macs for design and general productivity and 20% Windows machines for CAD and 3D.

All our routers are Netgear. Of all the network makers that are not Cisco or HP, Netgear's devices are by far the best. Extremely robust and reliable. Never had a failure in 8 years. That's Netgear's professional line up, and home devices may be different, I don't know.

Your comment is ignorant, nothing more, nothing less.

Pro vs consumer lineups are almost always worlds apart in terms of reliability and support. HP makes some pretty crappy consumer products with pretty piss-poor support, but they have some pretty good pro stuff. Similarly, Netgear makes absolute CRAP in the consumer space, even the upper end consumer space. Example:

I worked for an IT support company. We had installed a number of dumb 16-port gigabit switches at numerous business, all Netgear. I think they've torn all the Netgear switches out because, I sh!t you not, they would blow out the whole network if you put another brand (ANY non-Netgear brand from what we could tell) of switch in with it. I'm not kidding. It may not happen right away, but plug in another brand and eventually the Netgear switch would go nuts and saturate the network with garbage traffic. Unplug the new switch and the Netgear would go back to normal. The only common failure point was the Netgear switches and the only real solution was to replace the switches. Believe me, we had a lot of fun figuring this out and getting it fixed. I'm still baffled as to how this was even possible. A company would have to be monstrously incompetent to not be able to build a dumb switch properly.

Then there are crashhappy routers galore. I've also had two Netgear cable modems that were total junk. Both would choke whenever a torrent was run. One eventually decided it was going to foul up the signal coming through the cable and the other would randomly stall out for up to a minute at a time. I finally got the second replaced with a wired cable modem + Airport (the new modem is a Cisco company, not Linksys, something like American Scientific) and it's been flawless since.

Netgear's pro products must be miles ahead of their entire consumer line, because I think they outsource all of their consumer firmware production to the lowest bidder somewhere in Punjab. I'm never touching a consumer Netgear product again, and it's made me wary of ANY of their products.
  • Reply 207 of 226
    nhtnht Posts: 4,522member
    Quote:

I hadn't thought of the the IBM/Sun battle that way, but it definitely makes sense. Given that, maybe it was Sun that was behind SCO and not Microsoft???

Doubtful, Sun's DNA doesn't seem to trend in that direction...I'm thinking not even MS but some VC that got taken for a ride.

Sure, MS would consider it if they really thought they could get away with it but money always leaves a trail and trusting McBride not to squeal if the going got really tough? Not a freaking chance would I take that gamble. You just know that he'd keep bleeding you for more and if you don't give it to him he'll hold a press conference and spill all.
  • Reply 208 of 226
    Microsoft is STILL closed. They have succeeded. Hasn't done anything bad for Apple so far. It's where the money is for developers...

This guy is just jealous and you can FEEL it in his words...
  • Reply 209 of 226
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by screamingfist View Post

so funny how you blow up when caught in your own idiocy. you could take some tips from a 5th grader on sentence composition.

i also see you are going on your rounds with your pathetic responses to others as well.

i might feel pity for you if you weren't so laughable.

We all wuv you too screamie.

Are you screaming because of the fisting, of is it just so difficult being you? It is quite a curious handle.

It is truly illuminating to see how that repeater of a mind-substitute you have actually works. The lack of imagination and content in generating posts is astonishing in it's absence. It will be interesting for all of us to see how you try to twist this one. Too bad all that will do is prove the prevailing assessments of your posting abilities.

So why don't you move back to more mundane territory like actually dealing with facts and opinions. As long as you make is reasonable identifiable which is which, and leave-off from making stuff up out of thin air, nobody will have any difficulties with your posts.
  • Reply 210 of 226
    Quote:

We all wuv you too screamie.

Are you screaming because of the fisting, of is it just so difficult being you? It is quite a curious handle.

just the kinda person i imagined you to be....try reading a book once in a while rather than scouring the net for your twisted fixes.

"...discovering his former identity of Colonel Willis Corto. Corto was a member of "Operation Screaming Fist," which planned on infiltrating and disrupting Soviet computer systems from ultralight aircraft dropped over Russia. The Russian military had learned of the idea and installed defenses to render the attack impossible, but the military went ahead with Screaming Fist, with a new secret purpose of testing these Russian defenses. As the Operation team attacked a Soviet computer center, EMP weapons shut down their computers and flight systems, and Corto and his men were targeted by Soviet laser defenses. " (from Wikipedia)
  • Reply 211 of 226
    jfanningjfanning Posts: 3,398member
    Quote:

No. NAS is needlessly complex and difficult to set up.

YMMV, but I've yet to meet anyone who isn't a networking professional that set up a NAS without aging 10 years and pulling out a lot of hair.

Pleased to meet you. I have a Netgear ReadyNAS, you purchase it, install the drives, run the simple setup wizard and away you go. Quite simple really.
  • Reply 212 of 226
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacRulez View Post

Wouldn't Apple's Time Capsule qualify as a NAS?

Maybe you could call it that, but it doesn't compete against the likes of a ReadyNAS
  • Reply 213 of 226
    carniphagecarniphage Posts: 1,984member
    It's not surprising this Netgear CEO is unhappy.

The world he grew up in. And became important in, is crumbling away.

His world grew up with a set of rules.

*Cheaper goods make more money then premium goods.

*Microsoft dictates the speed of the industry.

*User experience should be sacrificed if it gets in the way of price.

*One dominant software vendor makes an even playing field for hardware manufacturers

All those rules have suddenly stopped working.

It's not fair, and he wants things to go back to how they used to be.

C.
  • Reply 214 of 226
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jfanning View Post

Pleased to meet you. I have a Netgear ReadyNAS, you purchase it, install the drives, run the simple setup wizard and away you go. Quite simple really.

You should tell that to the gent I spent portions of three days trying to help. Eventually he exchanges the Netgeat NAS, still failed with the second due to the same inability to configure it to do anything more than a few MB/s write and eventually just returned it and went with a Time Machine with a Lacie 4TB RAID attached. Even over the air he got almost 20x the throughput to the RAID he was getting with the Netgear NAS over a wire. Now how is that so easy?

I have colleagues at work with nuclear Drobo's, and some of the off brand NAS solutions are beyond reprehensible in their software.
  • Reply 215 of 226
    Quote:

You should tell that to the gent I spent portions of three days trying to help. Eventually he exchanges the Netgeat NAS, still failed with the second due to the same inability to configure it to do anything more than a few MB/s write and eventually just returned it and went with a Time Machine with a Lacie 4TB RAID attached. Even over the air he got almost 20x the throughput to the RAID he was getting with the Netgear NAS over a wire. Now how is that so easy?

I have colleagues at work with nuclear Drobo's, and some of the off brand NAS solutions are beyond reprehensible in their software.

Ugh, so true. I've seen plenty of inexpensive standalone NASes out there and not a one of them was worth a crap or even had decent performance. They're light on features, only use a fraction of the drive/network speed, and are often quirky/buggy to boot.

I eventually turned to custom Atom box + FreeNAS and it's friggin' beautiful. No, it's not the simplest thing to do, but it blows the socks off of ANY comparably priced standalone NAS I have ever seen. It performs like a NAS should, has a truckload of features (even a torrent client and iTunes server), and is rock-solid. You can set it up on most old Athlon or Pentium 4 boxes if you want. Make sure you have a compatible network card (toss a cheap gigabit PCI card in if you don't) and away you go.
  • Reply 216 of 226
    Quote:

If he had a ReadyNAS branded device then it would have been something else causing his issue. I have an older ReadyNAS NV+ I have no issues with it at all, fast transfers from my Mac, only took minutes to setup, and in my experience a lot faster than hard drives attached to either of my AEBS
  • Reply 217 of 226
    Your mileage obviously varied.
  • Reply 218 of 226
    Quote:

Your mileage obviously varied.

So don't right off the product line based on one persons experience.
  • Reply 219 of 226
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jfanning View Post

So don't right off the product line based on one persons experience.

I'm not, I'm writing it off on multiple problems, multiple people over an extended time. Your memory is short for my earlier posts.
  • Reply 220 of 226
    Quote:

I'm not, I'm writing it off on multiple problems, multiple people over an extended time. Your memory is short for my earlier posts.

No I don't recall them, and from a search I don't know what you are referring to, the only message I found was the one I replied to.