Netgear CEO rails on Apple's Steve Jobs, praises Android

Comments

• Reply 101 of 226
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by theolein View Post

You wouldn't be able to, and I'm pretty sure he wouldn't hire you either as mindless zealotry does not go down well at job interviews.

It's so funny. It seems like not long after I put people like you on my ignore list, your posts disappear anyway. Maybe you are all the same person?
  • Reply 102 of 226
    I wonder if Patrick Lo has ever opened up one of his products' instruction guides or navigated their UIs. An amalgamated incomprehensible clusterfuck of Chinglish and regurgitated Google Translate gobbledygook.
  • Reply 103 of 226
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacRulez View Post

[...]

OS X is a fine system, but not everyone needs a Mercedes.

You are right.

I'm just glad that, despite NOT being rich by any definition of the word (bar the very poor, undeveloped countries maybe) I still can afford an iPhone and an iMac.
  • Reply 104 of 226
    poochpooch Posts: 768member
    hey mr. lo ... what sophia said: "jealousy is an ugly thing dorothy. and so are you in anything backless."
  • Reply 105 of 226
    "lo Jobb" is a new term for something netgear's ceo wishes he could do to steve jobbs, but steve won't give him even a minute! Too bad for poor lo....
  • Reply 106 of 226
    I think NETGEAR and other network device vendors are very sensitive to the functionality offered by Apple network devices, especially Airports Extremes and Remotes as well as embedded networking services that support streaming music, video, etc. in an encryptped mode.

The result is that Apple ecosystem devices and network devices play very well together creating serious challenges for network vendors.

I once had a linksys router and after the hassle and limitations managing it through a browser [windows got dedicated fully functional client] and missing functionality for MacOS, I decided to stick with Apple networking devices.

I am sure Apple has observed that Apple got secondary treatment, poor call support, etc., and so [like Adobe on Flash and User Desktop video either second class/poor or entirely abandoned, respectvely] Apple chose to ensure its customers got full service and ease of use immediately as opposed to poor service, delayed features, or deleted products support.

The issue is not open, but rather reliable service. Apple has not had to do this with Printers since HP and Epson have consistently supported Apple devices with full services.

A lesson learned for vendors, Apple has deep memory and knows which products and vendor groups abandoned Apple before and Apple will not be held hostage again the same way.
  • Reply 107 of 226
    sensisensi Posts: 346member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ranReloaded View Post

He's spot on. We all know how successful Linux has been, don't we?

Oh jeez... FYI Linux have a similar desktop market share than Mac (total of retail sales Linux represented 8% of desktop operating systems in 2010 *)...

Now from servers to educational, gov and scientific institutions, linux is everywhere, and we are all glad that you still ignore it.

* http://broadcast.oreilly.com/2010/09...he-1-myth.html
  • Reply 108 of 226
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by techno View Post

Another attempt by a desperate CEO to grab some headlines for his company. It is usually the bitter and jealous ones that scream the loudest.

Yeah, maybe the Netgear CEO should pay more attention to his market sector, you know...Network Infrastructure Hardware?

And why does anyone really care what his opinion is?
  • Reply 109 of 226
    Reminds me of the old story about the woman who was married three times and was still a virgin. Someone asked her how that could possibly happen. She said her first husband was a lawyer. On their wedding night, he spent the entire time talking about himself. Her second husband was a doctor. He was out on emergency calls for their entire honeymoon. The third was a Linux developer. On their wedding night, he spent entire night sitting on the end of the bed telling her how great it was going to be.
  • Reply 110 of 226
    msanttimsantti Posts: 1,377member
    Let's face it pal.

Routers are not sexy.
  • Reply 111 of 226
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ranReloaded View Post

He's spot on. We all know how successful Linux has been, don't we?

Linux has actually been very successful, just not on the desktop PC
  • Reply 112 of 226
    hirohiro Posts: 2,663member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by asdasd View Post

Amazon and other content systems are illegal under clause 11.2 of the in-app purchasing guidelines. They may be in there, but - unless Apple change that clause - they will be kicked out eventually. Similarly with any content provider who has a separate website.

So? Buy it over a regular web connection and import it into iTunes. That's not closed, that's just not letting a competitor use your infrastructure for free.
  • Reply 113 of 226
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jensonb View Post

Can someone who works in tech journalism please take the time to point out to these bozos that vertically integrated does not mean closed and that that "openness" (Especially openness for openness's sake) is, at best, a nebulous concept which has no demonstrable real-world advantages? I'm particularly keen for Google to get called out for this crap, but apparently NetGear need a talking to as well.

All of the comments by this CEO have nothing to do with his company´s products. If at all, the more iOS units sold, the more there is a need for routers. He should be praising Apple sales at least. Netgear shareholders and directors: please get this guy to focus!
  • Reply 114 of 226
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by drdb View Post

I have a netgear router and I thoroughly regret that fact everytime I have to get up and go and switch it off and on again because it gets confused when there are too many packets going through it.

Got a CISCO and it has no problems at all. I specially like the routers web page interface. Netgear´s web page product information sucks!
  • Reply 115 of 226
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by screamingfist View Post

LT can 'reject' the label since all he is interested in is the kernel. But unless you are talking about the linux kernel source code alone you are talking 'gnu/linux'. ...

Then call it Linux + GNU stuff. Calling it GNU Linux (or GNU/Linux) to make it seem like it's a GNU project is simply dishonest.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by screamingfist View Post

the great thing about linux based distros is that you can configure your desktop to work like windows or os x if you choose to. are they as 'polished'? nope. ...

You can select a configuration option that claims to, "configure your desktop to work like windows or os x," but not only is it not "polished", it's a lie. It doesn't work anything like either of those operating systems, and 10-15 years of "polish" that's missing is why.
  • Reply 116 of 226
    cpsrocpsro Posts: 3,218member
    Don't you hate it when people banter all about and never get to the point? Sheesh, what a worthless diatribe.
  • Reply 117 of 226
    hirohiro Posts: 2,663member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by asdasd View Post

No value whatsoever. Imagine a web site which streams movies. Or sells books as PDFS. Or sells music online. Or photos. Whatever. Digital content. It builds an app to allow pre-exiting customers to see their content on an app rather than online ( for movies that would be essential because flash is not available).

Apple sees that as in contravention of 11.2

Apps utilizing a system other than the In App Purchase API (IAP) to purchase content, functionality, or services in an app will be rejected

That is, the very existence of a website is in violation of 11.2. ( As would be the existence of the app on other platforms were the app on other platforms to allow purchasing content which could also turn up on the iPad app).

This either forces people to either rebuy the same stuff in the app again, or pull the app.

What are Apple providing for this?

They dont store the content, nor do the streaming or downloading. They dont own the content. It is merely extortion to stay on the platform.

All those things are allowed in a web app. Your interpretation of 11.2 as a way to legislate against a website is pure hyperbole and incorrect. Section 11.2 of the developer guidelines says nothing about what web content is legal or illegal. It only says if you are going to do in app purchases they have to use Apple frameworks.

All this stuff can be imported onto an iDevice for offline viewing. If a company wants full any-moment convenience to a users credit card they have to follow a few rules for what code to use. Not too big a deal there if they really want that immediate access. Apple has provided that opportunity for them. And remember that an opportunity is not a right to do whatever you want, it is just an opportunity. So you take it or you don't, but you can always make a sale in your standard business mode with no interference from Apple.

Go make up stuff someplace else.
  • Reply 118 of 226
    This guy has no clue what he is talking about, Apple won with a closed system with the ipod and the music wars with itunes, they can survive in a market dominated by crappy android products that are cheesy and plastic. Apple is always and will always be about high end well made products that just work and get the job done. But I still think they will win the phone wars as well just watch with the Verizon iphone, thats the ticket. I think this guy should stick with selling switches and shut his stupid mouth because he is about to eat his words.
  • Reply 119 of 226
    Quote:

"Steve Jobs doesn't give me a minute!"

That's OK, Lo.

I never gave Netgear a minute either.
  • Reply 120 of 226
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by msantti View Post

Let's face it pal.

Routers are not sexy.

Why doesn´t this CEO write an iOS app to configure Netgear routers (in a friendly way)? That whould give him some revenue and let him see the light at last.....