Netgear CEO rails on Apple's Steve Jobs, praises Android

Comments

• Reply 161 of 226
    auxioauxio Posts: 2,751member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bwik View Post

Interesting slur. I suppose because S Jobs is an American, we can gloat about our national cleverness.

Well, I'm not even American, so I'm not trying to gloat at all. And I really could care less about the comings and goings of corporate entities - they have no intrinsic value in my world other than providing a means for technological creativity and innovation (where my real interest lies) to be distributed to the world.

My appreciation for Mr. Jobs only comes from the fact that, unlike the CEOs of most corporate entities, he truly does seem to share the same passion for the products Apple creates as the people actually creating them do (as opposed to spending too much time worrying about the major shareholders' blind interest in financial details). This, combined with his hands-on approach and keen sense of the details that make brilliant products, seems to be what motivates the people designing the products to do their best work -- because it's actually getting appreciated and turned into real products (that and I'm sure the stock options help a bit too).

If, when Mr Jobs departs Apple, they revert back to their 1990s form where R&D takes a backseat to shareholders' bank accounts, then I will look for the next corporate entity that's puts technological innovation, creativity, and quality first (and not just in a corporate slogan).

And yes, I've worked on a number of open source projects, so I understand the value of open technology. Heck, I use a Linux system to run my home network because it's infinitely configurable and extensible (which is ideal for an ever-changing network). However, because my main interest is in technological innovation and quality, I don't exclude all possible sources of it (corporate, academia, or wherever).
  • Reply 162 of 226
    macrulezmacrulez Posts: 2,455member
    deleted
  • Reply 163 of 226
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

I don't want to see people who didn't do Linus's hard work steal credit for it by prepending something on to 'Linux' that distorts reality. It's "Linux". There is no such thing as "GNU Linux". (And "GNU/Linux" is equally dishonest.)

you are deluded and ignorant of reality. even linus doesn't claim that linux based distros are just 'Linux'.

and if you think linus wrote all the code that makes up the linux kernel....well....you probably do.
  • Reply 164 of 226
    anonymouseanonymouse Posts: 6,946member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacRulez View Post

... Linux, which on my systems boots in less than half the time of OS X.

Right, because boot time is all that matters in an operating system.
  • Reply 165 of 226
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by screamingfist View Post

you are deluded and ignorant of reality. even linus doesn't claim that linux based distros are just 'Linux'.

He also makes it clear that Linux isn't GNU and GNU isn't Linux, a point you and others apparently wish to obscure.
  • Reply 166 of 226
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

He also makes it clear that Linux isn't GNU and GNU isn't Linux, a point you and others apparently wish to obscure.

please reread my earlier posts. you are trying to make something out of nothing.
  • Reply 167 of 226
    asdasdasdasd Posts: 5,686member
    Frankly, as far as I understand it. GNU is not even GNU.
  • Reply 168 of 226
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DJinTX View Post

Thanks for the heads-up, although I don't mind providing some education to those in need. He may not read my post, but others out there will, and will learn from my well reasoned comments. To quote Michael Scott, it's a win win win.

i agree that the aluminum macs are not toyish but that plastic macbook is dated and cheapo. and i have to disagree about os x. it is a trip through disneyland.

thanks for the 'education' i predict a big one coming along for Apple and the fans after steve is gone for good.
  • Reply 169 of 226
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by asdasd View Post

Frankly, as far as I understand it. GNU is not even GNU.

ha ha! you may be right!
  • Reply 170 of 226
    Quote:

please reread my earlier posts. you are trying to make something out of nothing.

You'd like us to believe that at this point, wouldn't you?
  • Reply 171 of 226
    Maybe that describes Jobs, but what does this have to do with Netgear? My experience with Netgear is that Lo really needs to address the growing number of 1-star reviews for their own products. It's not uncommon for their routers to ship with completely defective firmware.
  • Reply 172 of 226
    justflybobjustflybob Posts: 1,337member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bwik View Post

You guys are a bunch of fanbois. Lo said a bunch of sensible reasons why Apple won't have its profit base forever. Would I buy an Android based iPad? Sure. Will a quality Android piece come out? Yes it will.

Apple has about 3 years of gravy for each new invention. Steve Jobs is medically ill. When he dies... which is medically likely, if you examine the facts... Apple's innovation magic and marketing self censorship also die.

AAPL today is priced like they own the telephone business, the music business and the mobile app business combined. None of this is true. Generics will catch up. A couple of years late, but they will catch up. Would I rather pay $199 for an iPad, sure. The Chinese will back Lenovo so hard, Apple will forget what street its bank is on.

And the weather on your planet is?......
  • Reply 173 of 226
    whozownwhozown Posts: 128member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

Exactly!... that was my first thought... who the hell is Patrick Lo and why should I care.

I wouldn't keep a guy like this in my company.

When it's a guy I've never heard of from a company I know even less about it seems really petty and juvenile. Not to mention it's a CEO waving the beating stick at Apple now that Steve is away, this guy has a big pair on him. This Patrick guy just committed career suicide.
  • Reply 174 of 226
    realisticrealistic Posts: 1,154member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by asdasd View Post

Which looks like Android, extrapolating. I hope it isn't, but it looks like.

What they dont like is being forced to pay a ransom to Apple for content purchasing they could provide themselves. The 30% on in-app purchases for content bought through iTunes makes sense for small distributors with no web presence. For other distributors it is an extortionate racket - a price for doing business in Apple's neighborhood with no value added by Apple.

You are wrong and way off base on this as Apple isn't and can't force anybody to do anything. The value ad is Apple's site itself. If the 30% fee was not worth it why would any developer, big or small, put their product in Apple's store to start with? If ANY developer could do it better and cheaper in another fashion they would do so in a heartbeat. Last I checked all content available in Apple's web stores was placed there voluntarily and no developer was forced to offer their products in Apple's web stores.
  • Reply 175 of 226
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by All Day Breakfast View Post

I suspect a different person's ego is at play here.

That's a Lo Blow.
  • Reply 176 of 226
    deleted
  • Reply 177 of 226
    deleted
  • Reply 178 of 226
    nkhmnkhm Posts: 928member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sprockkets View Post

I wouldn't get a netgear either but don't forget what happened to all those time machines from 2 years ago apple made either.

"Time Machines"? Do you mean time capsules? What happened to them? mine's nearly three years old now, always performed flawlessly and still working as expected...
  • Reply 179 of 226
    Quote:

"Jobs returned to his previous job at Atari and was given the task of creating a circuit board for the game Breakout. According to Atari founder Nolan Bushnell, Atari had offered US$100 for each chip that was eliminated in the machine. Jobs had little interest or knowledge in circuit board design and made a deal with Wozniak to split the bonus evenly between them if Wozniak could minimize the number of chips. Much to the amazement of Atari, Wozniak reduced the number of chips by 50, a design so tight that it was impossible to reproduce on an assembly line. At the time, Jobs told Wozniak that Atari had only given them $700 (instead of the actual $5000) and that Wozniak's share was thus $350.[38][39][40][41][42][43]" - from wikipedia

he's a clever piece of work. will give him that. nice how he f***** his own best(?) friend around even back then.

Right. Woz is crying all the way to the bank. Dude, Woz would have been another clever anonymous hobbyist lost in the history of the PC without Jobs to sell his creations and build a company around it. It is not an easy thing to do. Try it sometime.

Give credit where credit is due.
  • Reply 180 of 226
    justflybobjustflybob Posts: 1,337member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dr Millmoss View Post

Well said, and especially this. Attempting to recreate Microsoft's model of dominance is effectively impossible. Believing that it is possible requires a case of amnesia about the set of circumstances which led to it in the first place. First, it required a set hardware standard, which IBM created, and then lost. Android does not have any hardware reference. Second, it required an OS with a sense of inevitability behind it. This Microsoft had but Google does not, and even if they can acquire the latter, they will never get the former.

In short, the tablet market is a wide open field -- inherently unlike the PC market of the '80s which was dominated and locked down from the start. The best products, not the inevitable ones, have the opportunity to win.

Probably your best post ever, Doc.

I appreciate your ability to succinctly state your very valid points.