Motorola Xoom featured in ad packed with Apple references

Comments

• Reply 81 of 223
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Menno View Post

If you were a professional, you wouldn't be looking at an xray on a tablet period. The screens offer nowhere near the clarity required for serious work.

You apparently missed this article:

http://www.appleinsider.com/articles...diagnoses.html
  • Reply 82 of 223
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dish View Post

Seriously? You really can't see the similarities? I hope you're joking.

Not an exact copy that would be plagiarism, but the reference is crystal clear, its even portrayed further when the main character is reading 1984!! Trust me you and everyone understood who Motorola was attacking
  • Reply 83 of 223
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ecphorizer View Post

@V-K, I'm with you on the above point. I might respectfully disagree with your opinions but it's wrong to label someone whose opinions differ as a sociopath.

I agree but I think the following is a pretty good example of anti-social behavior:

Quote:

Anyway, that's all I have to say. Please don't try and argue with me, as it's pointless; everything I said is completely right and true. Please bookmark this page and check it one year from now.

• Reply 84 of 223
    Quote:

You'd be surprised by the number of everyday customers (aka, people who don't know that sites like Engadget and BGR exist, much less this one) that are sick and tired of apple. Not for the app store, not for their policies, but because EVERYONE has them, and there are a lot of people with iphones that if you say you don't want one (for whatever reason) you'll never hear the end of it.

What a lot of people on forums tend to forget is that your views are ALWAYS in the minority when it comes to the consumer viewpoint. the fact that you post on a forum on "the internets" proves this.

And remember, Apple ran their "I'm a mac" ads for years, blatently mocking well over 90% of their potential buyers.

Excellent points. I attend a weekly breakfast with about 20-30 senior men from around town and if the topic veers into technology, the majority just don't want to hear anything about Apple. It's not that they're "PC drones" or "Blackberry fans" or anything, they're just tired of i-this and i-that all over town (it's a college town). OTOH I have had social interactions with some grad students and they are pleased as punch with their Macbooks but they weren't all lockstep i-gadget users.

However, having said that and agreed with you, I have seen a fair number of 60-somethings at coffee shops using iPads, so go figure.
  • Reply 85 of 223
    pokepoke Posts: 506member
    Quote:

And remember, Apple ran their "I'm a mac" ads for years, blatently mocking well over 90% of their potential buyers.

Those ads didn't mock users. They mocked Windows. Only the tiny minority of people (i.e., MCSEs and Paul Thurrott) whose identity is tied to Windows were offended. Hating Windows and hating your PC has long been a part of popular culture. Those ads were no more mocking than jokes about airplane food are to the millions of people who fly in airplanes.
  • Reply 86 of 223
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by meelash View Post

Doesn't it seem a little desperate when the best your ad agency can do is rip off a 27-year old commercial?

The Ad Manager or committee who approved the commercial is either very old or studied Advertising and Marketing in college, and became head of advertising at Motorola because he or she couldn't get a job at an Ad Agency. The backup campaign would have been?"Hey dude, you're getting a Xoom!"

• Reply 87 of 223
    mennomenno Posts: 854member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by poke View Post

How on Earth is the Xoom "more like a mobile computer"? Is it because you can add widgets to the homescreen? Is that it? Because that's literally the only difference they've shown so far.

It helps you read about android news on a site that's not named (apple) insider. I know they post a lot of crap about android, but that doesnt mean they know what they're talking about.

-First off, the device has a full browser. Not a mobile one. What this means is that it has tabs, bookmark syncing, incognito mode, etc. I wouldn't be surprised if an update to the browser activated the Chrome web store for it. This is a very big difference from a mobile based browser blown up to a bigger screen (like on the Tab or ipad)

-Chrome style notifications. These are essentially widgets, different from what's found in android, and a lot more fitting to the tablet form factor.

-Multi-tasking switcher similar to what you have on a computer. You can see what you have open (not just app icon) and if something is running in the background, you'll see it.

-Actionbar. Again, acknowledging that it's a tablet not a phone screen, so having common tasks on screen instead of hidden in pop-ups or sub menus (you'd call this the settings menu under the gear)

-Drag and drop support in apps, full clipboard/multi-select functionality.

Then there is the UI (including the widgets you know about) that were designed for a tablet sized device initially and aren't just larger versions of their phone counterparts. This is important. iOS is consistant across devices, which is a boon for marketing, but it also has it's own frustrations. Google's trying the different approach by trying to take advantage of the new features a tablet form factor provides beyond multi-panes and pop-up menus.

We'll have to see how their take works, but for that we need reviews up.
  • Reply 88 of 223
    Quote:

You'd be surprised by the number of everyday customers (aka, people who don't know that sites like Engadget and BGR exist, much less this one) that are sick and tired of apple. Not for the app store, not for their policies, but because EVERYONE has them, and there are a lot of people with iphones that if you say you don't want one (for whatever reason) you'll never hear the end of it.

What a lot of people on forums tend to forget is that your views are ALWAYS in the minority when it comes to the consumer viewpoint. the fact that you post on a forum on "the internets" proves this.

your comments are contradicting in a way. first you say people are sick of Apple (where are your facts) because I always thought people vote with there wallets and clearly Apple is winning like: "Verizon first day sale of iPhone record breaking" and that is just for existing Verizon customers. Your contradiction is people are sick of Apple yet you say "EVERYONE" has them. Well here is my own "two sense", EVERYONE I know is quite happy with there Apple product and they all voted by buying another Apple product!
  • Reply 89 of 223
    chiachia Posts: 713member
    Quote:

If you were a professional, you wouldn't be looking at an xray on a tablet period. The screens offer nowhere near the clarity required for serious work.

FDA approves iPad, iPhone radiology app
  • Reply 90 of 223
    Quote:

Excellent points. I attend a weekly breakfast with about 20-30 senior men from around town and if the topic veers into technology, the majority just don't want to hear anything about Apple. It's not that they're "PC drones" or "Blackberry fans" or anything, they're just tired of i-this and i-that all over town (it's a college town). OTOH I have had social interactions with some grad students and they are pleased as punch with their Macbooks but they weren't all lockstep i-gadget users.

However, having said that and agreed with you, I have seen a fair number of 60-somethings at coffee shops using iPads, so go figure.

Look the reality is with success comes the pain. Apple is a company that is pushing out new great products every year, and people are clearly loving them so it is only natural that they are the "talk of the town" so to say. It is not like ANY of these including myself are on Apple's payroll!!
  • Reply 91 of 223
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mplaisance View Post

your comments are contradicting in a way. first you say people are sick of Apple (where are your facts) because I always thought people vote with there wallets and clearly Apple is winning like: "Verizon first day sale of iPhone record breaking" and that is just for existing Verizon customers. Your contradiction is people are sick of Apple yet you say "EVERYONE" has them. Well here is my own "two sense", EVERYONE I know is quite happy with there Apple product and they all voted by buying another Apple product!

a+b=c =! a=b

I know hyperbole is a lost art, but let's use a little logic, ok?

There are more people than you would think with no technical background that are SICK about hearing about apple, and yet are still prime targets for smartphones/possibly tablets. This is because of the saturation iProducts have reached in popular culture. No, not literally "everyone" has an iDevice, but a lot of people do, and most people know several handfuls that do.

My argument doesn't contradict itself, you're just trying to split hairs to make a pun.
  • Reply 92 of 223
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ChiA View Post

FDA approves iPad, iPhone radiology app

Quote from that article:

The FDA said the app "is not intended to replace full workstations and is indicated for use only when there is no access to a workstation,"

So it's to be used in addition to actual workstations and should only be used for serious work when there is NO OTHER OPTION. I'll stand by my original statement.
  • Reply 93 of 223
    Quote:

Re post from Poke:

People forget the circumstances of the 1984 commercial. IBM moved into the personal computer market in 1981 in response to the success of the Apple II and Commadore PET. Microsoft produced DOS the same year but was an insignificant player at the time. Just 3 years after IBM managed to produce it's first affordable personal computer, Apple changed the game completely with the Mac. IBM was at that time a stodgy, monolithic and absolutely gigantic business-oriented mainframe company making moves to take over the fledgling personal computer market. The personal computer movement had been associated with 70s counterculture and IBM was as far from it as you can get. The ad spoke to people. Compare with the Motorola ad where they're advertising an also-ran product by speaking to the tiny minority if people who think Apple's curation of the App Store is an insult to freedom and doing so by portraying iPod owners, who probably make up 99% of their potential buyers, as mindless sheep. Anyone who actually understands the reference should be offended.

I was on Madison Avenue, back then. It was the time of the Beatles and the Vietnam War. It was also the time of Blade Runner and "1984" was a popular book.

The "new kid on the block" (Apple) makes his presence known by picking a fight with the "big shot" on the block. This is how everyone in the neighborhood knows who you are and what you can do. You don't pick a fight with the little guy and if you survive the fight, you win. This is the same strategy with the "I'm a Mac and I'm a PC" campaign. Once Microsoft took notice, Apple won. Until then, Apple was just a pesky mosquito.

There was no dispute about philosophy or about being open or closed. It was about making an impact. It was a one shot gamble at the Super Bowl, but Steve Jobs picked the right ad agency and the rest is history. Good thing Steve Jobs wasn't talked into a commercial with Seinfield and shoes!!!

• Reply 94 of 223
    Quote:

a+b=c =! a=b

There are more people than you would think with no technical background that are SICK about hearing about apple, and yet are still prime targets for smartphones/possibly tablets. This is because of the saturation iProducts have reached in popular culture. No, not literally "everyone" has an iDevice, but a lot of people do, and most people know several handfuls that do.

My argument doesn't contradict itself, you're just trying to split hairs to make a pun.

I am sure there are those who HATE Apple (including yourself), just like some hate Pepsi, Budweiser, General Motors, Porsche, even Microsoft, etc. With success and clearly Apple is having it comes the pain of being the "talk of the town". And all these Apple talkers including myself are NOT on Apple's payroll for sure!! So I guess Apple should just tell all there customers they are closing up shop for a few years so people can stop talking about them!! Is that what you suggest?
  • Reply 95 of 223
    alfiejralfiejr Posts: 1,524member
    Quote:

ah, grumpy old men! haven't you figured out yet it is basic human nature to grouse about the latest hot new thing, whatever it is? until you actually try it, that is, and discover it is pretty good after all. which is why you see other old guys with them.
  • Reply 96 of 223
    Quote:

a+b=c =! a=b

And people with no "technical background" I would bet have no clue as to the difference between a Dell, HP, or a Toshiba, and more so that there is "another" system out there other than Microsoft! For most of them, it's whatever is cheaper or on sale!!

Also I would bet you any money that most of them think of an MP3 player as an iPod! Like its the only MP3 player
  • Reply 97 of 223
    Quote:

I am sure there are those who HATE Apple (including yourself), just like some hate Pepsi, Budweiser, General Motors, Porsche, even Microsoft, etc. With success and clearly Apple is having it comes the pain of being the "talk of the town". And all these Apple talkers including myself are NOT on Apple's payroll for sure!! So I guess Apple should just tell all there customers they are closing up shop for a few years so people can stop talking about them!! Is that what you suggest?

I don't hate apple. I own a macbook, helped my brother get a macbook pro, and convinced my parents to get an imac when their PC finally dies. Heck, the iphone's not even a bad phone for a lot of users. Apple's just not lightyears ahead of everyone else or the perfect answer for everyone like so many on this site claim.

I don't care two stones if you're on apple's payroll or not. It doesn't matter, but if you want to keep insisting that you're not on their payroll (or claim that you are) go right ahead. It doesn't matter.

And the biggest cheerleaders for any company are NEVER the people who are employed by them. This is doubly true of status companies like Apple/Starbucks/insertcarcompanyhere.
  • Reply 98 of 223
    Quote:

Quote from that article:

The FDA said the app "is not intended to replace full workstations and is indicated for use only when there is no access to a workstation,"

So it's to be used in addition to actual workstations and should only be used for serious work when there is NO OTHER OPTION. I'll stand by my original statement.

A few weeks ago, there was an article about how the iPad is being used at a major hospital in Isreal for X-rays and scans by doctors on call because immediate action that needed. Life and death situations do not wait for a doctor to wake up in the middle of the night or on the road, to drive into the hospital to look at an X-ray or a CAT scan for immediate action. The hospital was able to adapt a PC application to upload files from their databaseto the remote iPad.

If the Xoom proves to be equal to or better than the iPad 1, I'd like to know that a doctor could consult from anywhere. I would hate to be misdiagnosed if all he had was a small-screen smartphone, or a 7" Tab running the lower-resolution Android, not built for a tablet's larger screen.
  • Reply 99 of 223
    Quote:

I don't hate apple. I own a macbook, helped my brother get a macbook pro, and convinced my parents to get an imac when their PC finally dies. Heck, the iphone's not even a bad phone for a lot of users. Apple's just not lightyears ahead of everyone else or the perfect answer for everyone like so many on this site claim.

I don't care two stones if you're on apple's payroll or not. It doesn't matter, but if you want to keep insisting that you're not on their payroll (or claim that you are) go right ahead. It doesn't matter.

And the biggest cheerleaders for any company are NEVER the people who are employed by them. This is doubly true of status companies like Apple/Starbucks/insertcarcompanyhere.

Ah I understand now I do not know about you but I have been using macs for sometime now, let us just say before Macs were cool! and yea I will admit I sometime liked it better when almost no one heard of a Mac or Apple at that. For most people Windows WAS IT! But now Apple is HUGE and it is showing on the Colleges and Coffee shops and the once "think different" has now become EVERYONE WANTS TO "THING DIFFERENT"!! POINT TAKEN, I SUPPOSE
  • Reply 100 of 223
    alfiejralfiejr Posts: 1,524member
    Quote:

It helps you read about android news on a site that's not named (apple) insider. I know they post a lot of crap about android, but that doesnt mean they know what they're talking about.

-First off, the device has a full browser. Not a mobile one. What this means is that it has tabs, bookmark syncing, incognito mode, etc. I wouldn't be surprised if an update to the browser activated the Chrome web store for it. This is a very big difference from a mobile based browser blown up to a bigger screen (like on the Tab or ipad)

-Chrome style notifications. These are essentially widgets, different from what's found in android, and a lot more fitting to the tablet form factor.

-Multi-tasking switcher similar to what you have on a computer. You can see what you have open (not just app icon) and if something is running in the background, you'll see it.

-Actionbar. Again, acknowledging that it's a tablet not a phone screen, so having common tasks on screen instead of hidden in pop-ups or sub menus (you'd call this the settings menu under the gear)

-Drag and drop support in apps, full clipboard/multi-select functionality.

Then there is the UI (including the widgets you know about) that were designed for a tablet sized device initially and aren't just larger versions of their phone counterparts. This is important. iOS is consistant across devices, which is a boon for marketing, but it also has it's own frustrations. Google's trying the different approach by trying to take advantage of the new features a tablet form factor provides beyond multi-panes and pop-up menus.

We'll have to see how their take works, but for that we need reviews up.

don't you realize all these attributes you cite make the Android tab much more like a standard old fashioned computer OS? but tablets are not for power users. if you want that, Aplle wants to sell you a MacBook Air. tablets are about simplifying life - the key factor that obviously the complexity-loving Android fans will never grasp.