Motorola Xoom featured in ad packed with Apple references

Comments

• Reply 101 of 223
    cpsrocpsro Posts: 3,200member
    I enjoyed the commercial, too, but 2011 won't be like 1984, because IBM and the clone makers led the market but weren't innovators on a scale anywhere close to what Apple has been and looks to be.

Sure Android is open--really great for hackers and malware artists. Buy Android and wonder when/if you'll ever get an "official" update with the fancy new features and security patches.
  • Reply 102 of 223
    mennomenno Posts: 854member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bmovie View Post

A few weeks ago, there was an article about how the iPad is being used at a major hospital in Isreal for X-rays and scans by doctors on call because immediate action that needed. Life and death situations do not wait for a doctor to wake up in the middle of the night or on the road, to drive into the hospital to look at an X-ray or a CAT scan for immediate action. The hospital was able to adapt a PC application to upload files from their databaseto the remote iPad.

If the Xoom proves to be equal to or better than the iPad 1, I'd like to know that a doctor could consult from anywhere. I would hate to be misdiagnosed if all he had was a small-screen smartphone, or a 7" Tab running the lower-resolution Android, not built for a tablet's larger screen.

I use small works k?

Tab has gooder resolution than ipad. Moar dots per line

Get it now? the tab has a HIGHER pixel density (resolution) than the ipad and nearly the same number of pixels. All your issues relating to the OS (made for phone, not built for screen) are referring to the TAB specifically.

In case you missed it, I'm not defending the tab. I've actually blasted it quite a bit in my responses to you. I'm talking about the FORM FACTOR. 7 inches is more pocket able. You mention hospitals. The 7 inch form factor fits in a doctor's jacket, the iPad can't. It's not for everyone, but it's a very viable choice. Perfect for reading, browsing, and mobile use. the 10 inch screen is beter for multimedia, and if you never intend on taking the device out of your house or you have a backpack to carry it in.

As for the xoom it has a higher pixel density, more pixels, AND a bigger screen than the ipad first gen does.
  • Reply 103 of 223
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Menno View Post

I use small works k?

Tab has gooder resolution than ipad. Moar dots per line

Get it now? the tab has a HIGHER pixel density (resolution) than the ipad and nearly the same number of pixels. All your issues relating to the OS (made for phone, not built for screen) are referring to the TAB specifically.

In case you missed it, I'm not defending the tab. I've actually blasted it quite a bit in my responses to you. I'm talking about the FORM FACTOR. 7 inches is more pocket able. You mention hospitals. The 7 inch form factor fits in a doctor's jacket, the iPad can't. It's not for everyone, but it's a very viable choice. Perfect for reading, browsing, and mobile use. the 10 inch screen is beter for multimedia, and if you never intend on taking the device out of your house or you have a backpack to carry it in.

As for the xoom it has a higher pixel density, more pixels, AND a bigger screen than the ipad first gen does.

Look if there is a viable market out there for a 7" tablet I am sure Apple will get into it no mater what Steve says or has said. But the truth is mobile computing is VERY young and Apple, Motorola, Dell and whoever your Favorite Tech Company will be experimenting for the years to come!!

And don't forget the iPad is a year old technology and we know that that means in this industry! ROUND TWO iPad soon
  • Reply 104 of 223
    mennomenno Posts: 854member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Alfiejr View Post

don't you realize all these attributes you cite make the Android tab much more like a standard old fashioned computer OS? but tablets are not for power users. if you want that, Aplle wants to sell you a MacBook Air. tablets are about simplifying life - the key factor that obviously the complexity-loving Android fans will never grasp.

Things either have to be Simple the apple way, or they're too complicated. Right? Because no one but android geeks ever use Tabs right? and there's absolutely no reason you'd want your notifications to be handled in a way that you get useful information without it taking over the main part of your screen, right? And having true app switching is just too complicated. I mean.. you tap a button on iOS, and with honeycomb you have to... tap a button.

Have you even looked at the honeycomb previews? At all? No, I'm not talking about an apple sites commentary, I'm talking about the official videos or even the articles on a site like engadget.

And if you try defending apple's notification system, don't. Even the biggest apple fans know that it sucks.

The things I mentioned are some of the BEST aspects of computers without a lot of the bloat. The pop up notifications are extreemly useful. Heck, even and andriod-unfriendly gizmodo mentioned how much better the music controls from the notification bar were compared to apple's multi-tasking approach.

Just because it's taking some features from the desktop doesn't mean it's trying to be exactly like a desktop. That's something apple fan's won't understand. I promise you, if steve jobs released the SAME exact tabbed browsing idea this site would be praising it. Instead they write it off as "too complicated"

This type of device will allow you to do most of what you'd need a netbook/laptop to accomplish without all the crap you don't need., at least that's its aim. you can't say the same about an ipad. I've tried.

Simplify does not mean "cut everything out until you could do it all on a phone, but you like the bigger form factor"
  • Reply 105 of 223
    bageljoeybageljoey Posts: 2,004member
    ignoring the trolls is the best plan...
  • Reply 106 of 223
    And he is proven right. They cant beat apple's leverage on the cost of components and first to market advantage. Thats the benefit of a being a industry leader as opposed to a follower, other wise know as a drone. Someone please send this memo to Motorola and their ad agency.

This was certainly a worthy follow up to their CES video rendered with 1990 technology.
  • Reply 107 of 223
    Quote:

Things either have to be Simple the apple way, or they're too complicated. Right? Because no one but android geeks ever use Tabs right? and there's absolutely no reason you'd want your notifications to be handled in a way that you get useful information without it taking over the main part of your screen, right? And having true app switching is just too complicated. I mean.. you tap a button on iOS, and with honeycomb you have to... tap a button.

Have you even looked at the honeycomb previews? At all? No, I'm not talking about an apple sites commentary, I'm talking about the official videos or even the articles on a site like engadget.

And if you try defending apple's notification system, don't. Even the biggest apple fans know that it sucks.

The things I mentioned are some of the BEST aspects of computers without a lot of the bloat. The pop up notifications are extreemly useful. Heck, even and andriod-unfriendly gizmodo mentioned how much better the music controls from the notification bar were compared to apple's multi-tasking approach.

Just because it's taking some features from the desktop doesn't mean it's trying to be exactly like a desktop. That's something apple fan's won't understand. I promise you, if steve jobs released the SAME exact tabbed browsing idea this site would be praising it. Instead they write it off as "too complicated"

This type of device will allow you to do most of what you'd need a netbook/laptop to accomplish without all the crap you don't need., at least that's its aim. you can't say the same about an ipad. I've tried.

Simplify does not mean "cut everything out until you could do it all on a phone, but you like the bigger form factor"

"It's a big iphone argument!" Please not exactly true and even if so, is that bad? The iPhone is a great platform and before the iPad many people would say they wish there iPhone was bigger! Now it is with the iPad. For me the iPad does everything on the go. I have photography business and while on location my wife and I show the clients there pictures on the iPad, we can check email, show the clients our packages from our website or a PDF file etc. The kids watch movies while in the car on long trips, I read books I bought. So lets break it down the iPad is a movie player (portable DVD player), a book reader (kindle), a photo presenter (another computer), and a "big iPhone" add those products up and I am over a $1000 bucks and I get it all for $499.

And lets be fair tablets of ANY kind were not a consumer product before the iPad so yes tabs were only used by geeks and until a good competitor competes against the iPad that is still the case currently!
  • Reply 108 of 223
    alfiejralfiejr Posts: 1,524member
    Quote:

all this argumentative reply proves is that you don't grasp the difference either.
  • Reply 109 of 223
    Quote:

And remember, Apple ran their "I'm a mac" ads for years, blatently mocking well over 90% of their potential buyers.

Actually they weren't mocking their potential buyers, they were mocking window OS, which many of they're eventual buyers could relate to. I personally don't care if macOS or iOS is #1 in terms of numbers. As long as it stay the best in terms of experience, I am happy.
  • Reply 110 of 223
    jensonbjensonb Posts: 532member
    Quote:

It helps you read about android news on a site that's not named (apple) insider. I know they post a lot of crap about android, but that doesnt mean they know what they're talking about.

-First off, the device has a full browser. Not a mobile one. What this means is that it has tabs, bookmark syncing, incognito mode, etc. I wouldn't be surprised if an update to the browser activated the Chrome web store for it. This is a very big difference from a mobile based browser blown up to a bigger screen (like on the Tab or ipad)

Of the three features you just listed, my phone has two (Multiple Pages is functionally the same as Tabs, and my boomarks are synced over the air) and iPads also have both those features. So two of the three features you've picked out as differentiating a "full" browser from a "mobile" browser...Are available in a mobile browser.
  • Reply 111 of 223
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by macdaddykane View Post

Actually they weren't mocking their potential buyers, they were mocking window OS, which many of they're eventual buyers could relate to. I personally don't care if macOS or iOS is #1 in terms of numbers. As long as it stay the best in terms of experience, I am happy.

Menno claims to own Macs and advocates Macs to his family and friends but his words speak differently. HMMM
  • Reply 112 of 223
    matrix07matrix07 Posts: 1,993member
    Quote:

Side note: I find it ironic that so many apple sites/blogs are commenting about how the xoom ad was a failure because it told you nothing about the device. Neither did 1984, or the first iphone commercial, or the first droid commercial. All three of those products seem to be doing well for having a launch ad that "told you nothing."

You're just incapable of understanding Art. No wonder you're a staunch defender of Android. What 1984 commercial told you is Macintosh is revolutionary, while Motorola's just selling a me-too product with 3D map. That's the difference.
  • Reply 113 of 223
    As of February 7, 2011, 3:36AM EST, the "2011 USA Today Super Bowl Ad Meter listing of 61 Super Bowl Commercials as voted for by viewer, the Motorola Xoom "1984" commercial is ranking a measly 47. Fourteen from the bottom. Number 1 is the Budwiser Light commercial with the dogs.

I guess production value and newsworthiness did nothing to sir up viewer attention, recall or motivation. So much for the Xoom's millions spent for the commercial and its hopes of overtaking the iPad. Having to lock yourself into a contract for service pretty much has you tethered to Verizon or having one wait until Apple makes its announcement about iPad 2. If having a camera and video is important enough, go for it. The more tablets out there, the more Microsoft is going to sweat.
  • Reply 114 of 223
    Motorola Xoom = late to the party. The Apple iPad = already in the pool...with the app store!
  • Reply 115 of 223
    Quote:

You missed the point of the entire commercial then, and by extension the 1984 original ad.

By your reasoning, everyone chose IBM because it was the best choice for consumers, and no one except one person wanted that mac, a chick with anger issues who instead of showing people why her machine is better she just destroys theirs. Typical.

Or you know, it could be, like the 1984 commercial, "There is something new coming, and it's different. stay tuned for more information". He also got the girl in the ad btw, and considering the entire culture wore earbuds, he was the most social one there.

Side note: I find it ironic that so many apple sites/blogs are commenting about how the xoom ad was a failure because it told you nothing about the device. Neither did 1984, or the first iphone commercial, or the first droid commercial. All three of those products seem to be doing well for having a launch ad that "told you nothing."

There was one Android commercial at the Super Bowl that showed a sinister guy with scissors running through alleys and into the backroom of a warehouse. Looks like Bangkok or some place in Asia. They unwrap bandages to reveal that they successfully grafted thumbs onto the Android robot so that it can now play games. It look seedy and thought it was an abortion! Turns out that it was a commercial for Sony Ericson and that you can now do games on Android. Could the all Asian cast reveal that Android's major market is in Asia? Anyway, the commercial did not even rate 61 on the "2011 USA Today Super Bowl Ad Meter website.

May the Yakusa cut off your Menno thumbs and graft them onto the next Android tablet built for the Black Maket in Cambodia.
  • Reply 116 of 223
    iqatedoiqatedo Posts: 1,824member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Voight-Kampff View Post

Some of you guys aren't thinking as much as you should, if you think they're "copying" the 1984 ad. They're alluding to it, to make fun of the fact that the image portrayed in that ad is *exactly* what Apple is today. iOS devices are completely closed and don't really allow you to think; you have no choice with them, really. I mean, hell, Big Brother in Apple's 1984 ad even kinda looks like Steve Jobs, being an old, thin man wearing glasses.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Voight-Kampff View Post

By agreeing to these rules, you warrant that you will not post any messages that are obscene, vulgar, sexually-oriented, hateful, threatening, or otherwise violative of any laws.

Please don't flame me, not only is it uncalled for, it's against the rules.

Hypocrite!

Welcome to my ignore list (add me to yours please). \
  • Reply 117 of 223
    djsherlydjsherly Posts: 1,031member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by IQatEdo View Post

Hypocrite!

Welcome to my ignore list (add me to yours please). \

That comment that raised your ire is purely descriptive. I would characterize the man the same way.
  • Reply 118 of 223
    iqatedoiqatedo Posts: 1,824member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by djsherly View Post

That comment that raised your ire is purely descriptive. I would characterize the man the same way.

Why is his comment at all appropriate? He was being derogatory (and a hypocrite).
  • Reply 119 of 223
    djsherlydjsherly Posts: 1,031member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by IQatEdo View Post

Why is his comment at all appropriate? He was being derogatory (and a hypocrite).

All I can say is that he/she is trying to illustrate some irony. on second thoughts, perhaps better left on your ignore list. Fwiw, i think you're being a little touchy.
  • Reply 120 of 223
    aaronjaaronj Posts: 1,595member
    What a weird little ad. I mean, I get what they were going for. But really, what I came away with was "If you hate Apple, buy this --as of yet unexplained -- product." I suppose that's a valid approach, but it doesn't really sell the Xoom, does it?

Anyhow, I found it strange.