Quote:
    Originally Posted by Menno View Post

Hi, I'm a Mac

And I'm a PC

Do you want me to continue?

No, because you are so painfully wrong

Quote:

You missed the point of the entire commercial then, and by extension the 1984 original ad.

By your reasoning, everyone chose IBM because it was the best choice for consumers, and no one except one person wanted that mac, a chick with anger issues who instead of showing people why her machine is better she just destroys theirs. Typical.

Or you know, it could be, like the 1984 commercial, "There is something new coming, and it's different. stay tuned for more information". He also got the girl in the ad btw, and considering the entire culture wore earbuds, he was the most social one there.

Difference being, of course, that no one was particularly happy with IBM; everyone was going with them because they were the only ones in market, and Apple's approach at computing was to be much, much more accessible.

Which is obviously not the point with the Xoom. Everyone (except a small alliance of linux/anti-apple fanboys) loves it, and it's the most friendly tablet of there. Not to mention that there are alternatives already, and they all proved to be the exact opposite of what the Mac represented to the IBM PC.

Quote:

Side note: I find it ironic that so many apple sites/blogs are commenting about how the xoom ad was a failure because it told you nothing about the device. Neither did 1984, or the first iphone commercial, or the first droid commercial. All three of those products seem to be doing well for having a launch ad that "told you nothing."

Except that the Mac wasn't officially unveiled until after the ad, and that the Xoom was already shown to half the people in CES?

And that the iPhone ad wasn't picking at anyone? And that subsequent iPhone ads (after it was actually released) ONLY showed off functionality? Which CLEARLY wasn't the case with Droid ads?

This one failed as a feature ad, as an introductory ad and as a sarcastic ad.

Quote:

And if you read AI's other article's, you'd see that the Xoom is approaching the idea of a tablet differently. They're making it more of a mobile computing device instead of a oversized media device like the ipad is right now. The ipad is great at media consumption, but at the end of the day, its an iphone with a few nice ad ons like pop up menus.

Honeycomb is a totally different take on tablets, and doubly so on android.

Keep telling yourself that, then. You obviously can't see the truth even as it punches you in the face.

Quote:

You'd be surprised by the number of everyday customers (aka, people who don't know that sites like Engadget and BGR exist, much less this one) that are sick and tired of apple. Not for the app store, not for their policies, but because EVERYONE has them, and there are a lot of people with iphones that if you say you don't want one (for whatever reason) you'll never hear the end of it.

Let me guess. That's like one or two hundred of people.

Meanwhile there are more than 160 million people out there that think that iOS devices are genius.

Quote:

What a lot of people on forums tend to forget is that your views are ALWAYS in the minority when it comes to the consumer viewpoint. the fact that you post on a forum on "the internets" proves this.

You should take a look at the mirror, then.

Quote:

And remember, Apple ran their "I'm a mac" ads for years, blatently mocking well over 90% of their potential buyers.

Can you please just say "I'm a moronic troll (or at the very least uber-retarded), feel free to add me to your ignore lists" and be done with it?

THE ACTORS REPRESENT THE COMPUTERS, NOT THE USERS.
  • Reply 142 of 223
    1. Copy the Apple iPad

2. Copy an Apple TV commercial

What else is Motorola copying from Apple? Can no company except for Apple innovate?
  • Reply 143 of 223
    freediverxfreediverx Posts: 1,423member
    Quote:

You missed the point of the entire commercial then, and by extension the 1984 original ad.

By your reasoning, everyone chose IBM because it was the best choice for consumers, and no one except one person wanted that mac, a chick with anger issues who instead of showing people why her machine is better she just destroys theirs. Typical.

You're missing the point that few people "chose" IBM just as few people "chose" Microsoft Windows. Those products' market share was primarily the result of corporate IT departments forcing them upon their users, who were then compelled to buy compatible devices for their homes.

In contrast, the iPod, iPhone and iPad have been chosen directly by consumers, with corporate IT departments following behind in response to user demands. I think that says a lot about which products were successful based on their own merits and which were successful based on the narrow interests of corporate purchasing contracts.
  • Reply 144 of 223
    dsectdsect Posts: 25member
    Quote:

You'd be surprised by the number of everyday customers (aka, people who don't know that sites like Engadget and BGR exist, much less this one) that are sick and tired of apple. Not for the app store, not for their policies, but because EVERYONE has them, and there are a lot of people with iphones that if you say you don't want one (for whatever reason) you'll never hear the end of it.

What a lot of people on forums tend to forget is that your views are ALWAYS in the minority when it comes to the consumer viewpoint. the fact that you post on a forum on "the internets" proves this.

And remember, Apple ran their "I'm a mac" ads for years, blatently mocking well over 90% of their potential buyers.

Thanks for admitting that you didn't understand those commercials either.
  • Reply 145 of 223
    Wait, I thought all the drones in white were the hordes of people who use winXP / Vista / Vista2 at work cause "every body else uses it, there's no way out", and then again at home because it's the only thing they know... Grabbed by the ballz in a vicious cycle by "Our software, everywhere".

Sorry, but this Apple fanboi has been there, done that and chose his gadgets on his own... Take your Lemmings metaphors to the front of your mirror.
  • Reply 146 of 223
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Davewrite View Post

I think the iPad screen's larger in square inches as the Xoom is long and thin.

I think people should quote them in square inches as well as diagonally otherwise pretty soon people will be building screens that look like noodles to tout size.

Motorola Xoom

» 1280x800 = 16:10 aspect ratio

» 10.1” = 8.08”x6.06” = 48.96”^2

Apple iPad

» 1024x768 = 4.3 aspect ratio

» 9.7” = 7.75”x5.83” = 45.19”^2

It’s that extra half inch on the diagonal that makes it overall larger, but you imply the iPad’s aspect ratio gives it a larger area for a given diagonal size.

PS: I thought 10” was too large? I thought 7” was the key to killing those HUGE iPads?
  • Reply 147 of 223
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Lukeskymac View Post

[...]

And that the iPhone ad wasn't picking at anyone?

[...]

You're right! ...Because at that moment, There Wasn't Anyone To Pick At
  • Reply 148 of 223
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BenRoethig View Post

Try saying something to the contrary to the Apple party line. You'll get swarmed. The group think and fanaticism has become ridiculous.

But is moto the one to do it? No. Android might have somewhat of a parity when it comes to app and depending but they don't have a decent media store. When it comes to videos like it or not, you're locked into Apple.

Yes, they have app parity... the most popular apps on the iTunes Store are OS task managers to help you kill unruly programs! (being ironic by the way).

No, I'll tell you what group think is:

• thinking that "openness" as celebrated by Android and Google has any practical value whatsover.

•*thinking that it is quite amazing and anti-group and the height of individualism to sport a unique wallpaper on your phone -- rather than to be able to find a smooth way to actually do some of the unique jobs you have to do

Sorry, but Apple users aren't spending time talking about their phones and devices because they need to justify their purchases... no, they are enjoying the fact that their phone works for them and helps them get critical work done, that they have a few minutes every hour to say what a piece of cake that was instead of managing their device.

Apple users (of Macs and iDevices alike) celebrate the uniqueness and individual nature of the products they produce with their tools, and the jobs they easily accomplish on their devices -- NOT how we decorate our devices in order to feel better about the lousy experience and frustration they give us. The unadorned, utilitarian look of our devices is fine with us -- because it is what we accomplish through them as unique individuals that matters. That people like yourself overlook this is more an example of group think than anything ever displayed by Apple users. It's a pretty sad, upside down attempt at "me, too-ism" -- it fixates on the product and the supposed "status symbol" as constituting coolness, when every Mac and iDevice user knows they use their computer or mobile device because it helps them get stuff done with less frustration. How cool is that?

Do you really think a "design guru", whose talents are in demand, gives two hoots about what his desktop or wallpaper looks like? Give me a break! Rather, he is producing unique product after product after product, in a fraction of the time, and with a fraction of the effort of someone on Windows or Android software.

Talk about groupthink: there are billions of people in the world who think that something produced with MS Office or Google Docs and the like are passable. They spend great time and effort to learn it, and pat themselves on the back, after finally producing something worse than my seven-year old would produce in five-minutes on Pages, Keynote, iWeb.....

Good grief. MS and Google and the like are collectively responsible for such a mindset of institutionalized group think and sameness, and to such a degree, that it boggles the mind how anyone has a sense of quality and attention to detail any more! No wonder that when people talk about "innovation", the only company that springs to mind is Apple.
  • Reply 149 of 223
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by junkie View Post

Nothing wrong with more options and the competition is good for everyone. And if the Xoom has features the iPad lacks, why not communicate those?

I just am not that impressed with the way Android on one hand copies Apple so intensely and then treats Apple like they are somehow doing something wrong. The iPad was the only good device out there last year. People didn't buy it because they were sheep, there was no other decent option. And if I remember correctly, it was just 12 months ago that Jobs had to get up there and explain why a device like this was even needed. No one understood that there was even a market for these things until the iPad was released and then everyone was blow away how well it sold. Are we really supposed to fault Apple somehow for this success??

Apple is not big brother. They curate the Appstore. Big deal. Android can compete on those terms and if consumers like their solution better, good for them. Make a business case for those advantages, not a moral one. There is no moral issue with Apple controlling the appstore. It is good for consumers and while developers may whine, they are making a lot of money there and finding an audience that did not exist before.

And Google has it's own Big Brother thing going with tracking all our searches and keeping tabs on us. That is a downside too and with Android you are even more in their snare. It is a tradeoff, privacy for those benefits. FIne. But its not like they are saints.

Apple doesn't like Flash. Big deal. Flash sucks on these devices. Android can make a lot of hey about how they support Flash but you know what? Android to begin with can get really slow and unresponsive so maybe they have nothing to lose adding Flash to that mess?

Completely agree!
  • Reply 150 of 223
    Quote:

It helps you read about android news on a site that's not named (apple) insider. I know they post a lot of crap about android, but that doesnt mean they know what they're talking about.

-First off, the device has a full browser. Not a mobile one. What this means is that it has tabs, bookmark syncing, incognito mode, etc. I wouldn't be surprised if an update to the browser activated the Chrome web store for it. This is a very big difference from a mobile based browser blown up to a bigger screen (like on the Tab or ipad)

-Chrome style notifications. These are essentially widgets, different from what's found in android, and a lot more fitting to the tablet form factor.

-Multi-tasking switcher similar to what you have on a computer. You can see what you have open (not just app icon) and if something is running in the background, you'll see it.

-Actionbar. Again, acknowledging that it's a tablet not a phone screen, so having common tasks on screen instead of hidden in pop-ups or sub menus (you'd call this the settings menu under the gear)

-Drag and drop support in apps, full clipboard/multi-select functionality.

Bold= Already on the iPad

Italics= Since 3.0 is supposed to compete with 5.0, there is no reason to believe that Apple will stand still.

Underlined= Either insignificant to 95% of people of simply pure Bullshit.

Quote:

I don't hate apple. I own a macbook, helped my brother get a macbook pro, and convinced my parents to get an imac when their PC finally dies. Heck, the iphone's not even a bad phone for a lot of users. Apple's just not lightyears ahead of everyone else or the perfect answer for everyone like so many on this site claim.

I don't care two stones if you're on apple's payroll or not. It doesn't matter, but if you want to keep insisting that you're not on their payroll (or claim that you are) go right ahead. It doesn't matter.

And the biggest cheerleaders for any company are NEVER the people who are employed by them. This is doubly true of status companies like Apple/Starbucks/insertcarcompanyhere.

Then why are you posting to much BS on this site? I want to believe you, but your posts say otherwise.

Quote:

Things either have to be Simple the apple way, or they're too complicated. Right? Because no one but android geeks ever use Tabs right? and there's absolutely no reason you'd want your notifications to be handled in a way that you get useful information without it taking over the main part of your screen, right? And having true app switching is just too complicated. I mean.. you tap a button on iOS, and with honeycomb you have to... tap a button.

That makes absolutely no sense. Having to configure a bunch of stuff before actually video-chatting with your grandma isn't over complicated? Because that's the difference between Android phones and FaceTime, and the Android crowd are still whining at Apple because of their portrayal of FaceTime as being something novel.

Quote:

Have you even looked at the honeycomb previews? At all? No, I'm not talking about an apple sites commentary, I'm talking about the official videos or even the articles on a site like engadget.

And if you try defending apple's notification system, don't. Even the biggest apple fans know that it sucks.

The things I mentioned are some of the BEST aspects of computers without a lot of the bloat. The pop up notifications are extreemly useful. Heck, even and andriod-unfriendly gizmodo mentioned how much better the music controls from the notification bar were compared to apple's multi-tasking approach.

Just because it's taking some features from the desktop doesn't mean it's trying to be exactly like a desktop. That's something apple fan's won't understand. I promise you, if steve jobs released the SAME exact tabbed browsing idea this site would be praising it. Instead they write it off as "too complicated"

This type of device will allow you to do most of what you'd need a netbook/laptop to accomplish without all the crap you don't need., at least that's its aim. you can't say the same about an ipad. I've tried.

Simplify does not mean "cut everything out until you could do it all on a phone, but you like the bigger form factor"

Seriously, all of that show to tell us how good the notification system on Honeycomb is? While iOS's is not a nightmare as you make it look like, you are right: everyone knows it can and will be improved in the future.

But, once again, you are comparing an 8 month OS with one that's about to be released, and it doesn't even have that many new stuff. Android and iOS are always toe-to-toe on features and etc, but they have different philosophies, and different design teams.

THAT is our (at least mine and some other people's) quarrel with Android: They complicate the simple, not that they add more options. To me/us, they are kind of a waste of time considering Google should the fixing the rest of their interface.
  • Reply 151 of 223
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by White Rabbit View Post

you don't post often, but what you post you post well, so keep on posting the posts !

Thanks...
  • Reply 152 of 223
    Derivative product, derivative ad.
  • Reply 153 of 223
    Quote:

-First off, the device has a full browser. Not a mobile one. What this means is that it has tabs, bookmark syncing, incognito mode, etc. I wouldn't be surprised if an update to the browser activated the Chrome web store for it.

It?s funny you think this is a mobile browser. I guess I?ve been using mobile browsers on my desktop OS browsers for nearly 2 decades now.

• Reply 154 of 223
    trip1extrip1ex Posts: 109member
    Motorola should have targeted Windows netbook, laptop and desktop users. They are the bigger market. They are the oppressors. They are the sheep.

Didn't make much sense for the Xoom to "court" ipad users or Apple users.

Ipad just came out. Xoom is literally copying it. Not many iPad users yet.

I think they goofed. Not that many will even get the Apple connection in the ad.
  • Reply 155 of 223
    freerangefreerange Posts: 1,597member
    Quote:

Actually the "much less" comment was a mistranslation. Sort of like the "return rate" was just another example of shoddy journalism.

And here's a little hint:

-If samsung sold the tab to Best Buy, or if they sold it to Joe the Plumber they still get paid. This is why the typical arguments of "Motorola's not making anything because Verizon is giving the phones away" and the like are meaningless. That phone that a customer got BoGo? Motorola got full payment for it. This is the reason Apple's profits are so high. They're making insane money from the carrier's because you the consumer don't see the actual cost of the device 9/10

-7 inches is easier to hold/manage than a 10 inch device. 10 is nice for browsing at your hour or at work, but it sucks if you're on the go.

You really have to be living on another planet to make such idiotic statements. Stuffing the channel is not the same as sales to the consumer which is the ONLY measurement that counts when it comes to market share are actual sales success.

7" is not "easier to hold" - what, are your hands the size of a 3 year old's? They are both easy to hold. The fact is that a 7" screen is exponentially smaller than that of a 10" screen and far harder to use and view with apps designed and maximized for a table configuration.

Seriously, get a life!
  • Reply 156 of 223
    freerangefreerange Posts: 1,597member
    Quote:

Side note: I find it ironic that so many apple sites/blogs are commenting about how the xoom ad was a failure because it told you nothing about the device. Neither did 1984, or the first iphone commercial, or the first droid commercial. All three of those products seem to be doing well for having a launch ad that "told you nothing."

You have no idea what you are talking about. The 1984 ad absolutely told you something about the product - it told you that it would be nothing like the IBM pc, and would be far superior, which was absolutely true. So quit trying to interpret something you obviously are incapable of seeing. Also, who said droid is "doing well"? Compared to what? Compared to the iPhone? Not hardly. Compared to the other crap they are selling? Ok, maybe that.
  • Reply 157 of 223
    Rather stupid ad.

I think that the vast majority of non-techies saw it as a boring iPad ad and ignored the las 5 seconds..
  • Reply 158 of 223
    pmzpmz Posts: 3,433member
    Its a piece of garbage. Next.
  • Reply 159 of 223
    Actually, that's a very good ad. I do like it a lot.
  • Reply 160 of 223
    pmzpmz Posts: 3,433member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by frugality View Post

The iPad is slow, doesn't play flash, and you're limited to buying your programs from Big Brother via the App store. I don't think the iPad is a slam-dunk by any means.

More options are good. Apple is becoming the Big Brother they once slung the hammer at in '84.

What a joke. What was this post typed back in January last year and you just forgot to hit send?

And how dare you call Apple big brother because they own their App Store. You have homeland security turning this country into a nightmare, and you have the nerve to ignore that and call Apple big brother.

Christ almighty grow up!