WSJ: Apple now manufacturing next-gen iPads

Posted:
in iPad edited January 2014
Apple is indeed building new iPad 2 models, confirms a report by the Wall Street Journal, noting a list of features previously reported.

The report cites "people familiar with the matter" as saying "The new device will be thinner, lighter and will come with a faster processor, more memory and a more powerful graphics processor."

It also stated the next iPad "will have a front-facing camera for the first time for features like video-conferencing, but the resolution of the new iPad's display will be similar to the first iPad."

It also noted it would be available through Verizon Wireless and AT&T, but not other US carriers.

In January, AppleInsider exclusively reported notes from Concord Securities Analyst Ming-Chi Kuo, who similarly highlighted a slim new form factor made possible by a new display module said to be 30-35 percent thinner, supplied by both LG and Samsung.

That report also highlighted that iPad 2 wouldn't ship with a Retina Display resolution because panel production volumes and cost couldn't meet Apple's requirements.

The report also added additional color the Wall Street Journal didn't, detailing that extra speed would come from new generation of SoC incorporating a dual core Cortex-A9 ARM processor and Imagination?s SGX543 dual core graphics technology.

The coming iPad's RAM is expected to be doubled to 512MB, the same as today's iPhone 4 but still half that of the $800 Motorola Xoom. RAM is also said to be accelerated using a faster 1066MHz bus, compared to the 800MHz timing of iPhone 4.

The Wall Street Journal report didn't supply any details about the resolution of both front and rear cameras, but our previous report expects parts similar to those used on the newest iPod touch: a front facing VGA resolution and a 1MP rear camera capable of 720p HD capture but not equivalent to the 5MP iPhone 4 camera, which rivals many point and shoot cameras in terms of photo quality.

The form factor of the iPad make it less likely to be used as a general purpose camera substitute in the manner of iPhone 4, as graphically depicted in the Xoom ad showing the protagonist capturing a photograph with his tablet.

An AppleInsider report from last September indicated iPad 2 may ship in Q1 2011, slightly earlier than the iPad's one year anniversary, as part of an aggressive move to push its FaceTime video conferencing feature.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 73
    paul94544paul94544 Posts: 1,027member
    hey the aapl share price hit 355 today and one day's paper profit is going to pay for 3 new Ipads

Way to go

Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Apple is indeed building new iPad 2 models, confirms a report by the Wall Street Journal, noting a list of features previously reported.

The report cites "people familiar with the matter" as saying "The new device will be thinner, lighter and will come with a faster processor, more memory and a more powerful graphics processor."

It also stated the next iPad "will have a front-facing camera for the first time for features like video-conferencing, but the resolution of the new iPad's display will be similar to the first iPad."

It also noted it would be available through Verizon Wireless and AT&T, but not other US carriers.

In January, AppleInsider exclusively reported notes from Concord Securities Analyst Ming-Chi Kuo, who similarly highlighted a slim new form factor made possible by a new display module said to be 30-35 percent thinner, supplied by both LG and Samsung.

That report also highlighted that iPad 2 wouldn't ship with a Retina Display resolution because panel production volumes and cost couldn't meet Apple's requirements.

The report also added additional color the Wall Street Journal didn't, detailing that extra speed would come from new generation of SoC incorporating a dual core Cortex-A9 ARM processor and Imagination?s SGX543 dual core graphics technology.

The coming iPad's RAM is expected to be doubled to 512MB, the same as today's iPhone 4 but still half that of the $800 Motorola Xoom. RAM is also said to be accelerated using a faster 1066MHz bus, compared to the 800MHz timing of iPhone 4.

The Wall Street Journal report didn't supply any details about the resolution of both front and rear cameras, but our previous report expects parts similar to those used on the newest iPod touch: a front facing VGA resolution and a 1MP rear camera capable of 720p HD capture but not equivalent to the 5MP iPhone 4 camera, which rivals many point and shoot cameras in terms of photo quality.

The form factor of the iPad make it less likely to be used as a general purpose camera substitute in the manner of iPhone 4, as graphically depicted in the Xoom ad showing the protagonist capturing a photograph with his tablet.

• Reply 2 of 73
    No higher resolution. No sale.

My wife and I really wanted to buy one. We'll reconsider with v3.
  • Reply 3 of 73
    dave k.dave k. Posts: 1,306member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleZilla View Post

We were the same way.. Hopefully, the low end iPad will increase in size to 32 GB. If so, I am back on again...
  • Reply 4 of 73
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:

Higher res means any RAM gain the iPad would get wouldn't be noticeable. In fact the iPad might even lag more. Double the current res of the iPad isn't possible right now. If Apple even tried to surprise with a double resolution iPad I'd be mega-cautious. I want to notice the improvements in "performance". I don't want the improvements to be used up by a higher quality display. Ideally, you'd like it both ways, but that's not possible right now. I'm glad the iPad will have the same display - this means for every performance improvement iPad 2 gets you get to actually feel it.
  • Reply 5 of 73
    pokepoke Posts: 506member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Paul94544 View Post

hey the aapl share price hit 355 today and one day's paper profit is going to pay for 3 new Ipads

Way to go

I'm convinced investors saw the Motorola Xoom Superbowl ad and thought it was the iPad 2. That's why it jumped up suddenly.
  • Reply 6 of 73
    tnsftnsf Posts: 203member
    The term "Retina Display" does not refer to any specific resolution. It refers to the concept that at an optimal viewing distance the eye can no longer see individual pixels.

iPad has 132 ppi. iPhone 4 has 326 ppi. The Motorola Xoom has 160 ppi. I don't see any reason why Apple can't beat Motorola with a ppi somewhere inbetween the Xoom and the iPhone 4. Cleary if Motorola can do something than Apple can outdo them.
  • Reply 7 of 73
    jensonbjensonb Posts: 532member
    Quote:

Same here. I'm primarily interested in it for reading material and a place to do some basic writing or not taking, but I don't think I could use a tablet with a screen of significantly lower quality than my phone. iPhone 4's printed page quality with the pixels seemingly on the surface of the glass has spoilt me.
  • Reply 8 of 73
    quinneyquinney Posts: 2,528member
    It looks like he is saying that the iPad2 will not use the integrated GPS on the Qualcomm chip (or is he?)
  • Reply 9 of 73
    satchmosatchmo Posts: 2,699member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

Higher res means any RAM gain the iPad would get wouldn't be noticeable. In fact the iPad might even lag more. Double the current res of the iPad isn't possible right now. If Apple even tried to surprise with a double resolution iPad I'd be mega-cautious. I want to notice the improvements in "performance". I don't want the improvements to be used up by a higher quality display. Ideally, you'd like it both ways, but that's not possible right now. I'm glad the iPad will have the same display - this means for every performance improvement iPad 2 gets you get to actually feel it.

+1

The current lag when scrolling some sites is frustrating. I'd rather it be a better experience and frankly the current screen is very readable. The reason an iPhone needs a higher PPI is because the screen is so small.
  • Reply 10 of 73
    iliveriliver Posts: 299member
    Quote:

No mention either of the matte or non-glare factor (as previously reported on AI) which would be a big plus for many.
  • Reply 11 of 73
    mjtomlinmjtomlin Posts: 2,673member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TNSF View Post

The term "Retina Display" does not refer to any specific resolution. It refers to the concept that at an optimal viewing distance the eye can no longer see individual pixels.

iPad has 132 ppi. iPhone 4 has 326 ppi. The Motorola Xoom has 160 ppi. I don't see any reason why Apple can't beat Motorola with a ppi somewhere inbetween the Xoom and the iPhone 4. Cleary if Motorola can do something than Apple can outdo them.

Why does the iPad's ppi have to beat the Xoom's? That doesn't make any sense.

Also, I seriously doubt the Xoom will sell in the same volumes that the iPad is expected to. Apple has to stick with technologies that can be manufactured in massive quantities, they don't have the luxury of being able to adopt any thing else.

Finally, the resolution of the iPad is fine for it's intended use, which is from your lap, not directly in front of your face like an iPod or iPhone. On my lap I can barely see any pixelation.
  • Reply 12 of 73
    I'm in for one regardless of the display... and then next year I'll upgrade my Wife's v1 to a v3.
  • Reply 13 of 73
    boogabooga Posts: 1,082member
    Quote:

Keeping or increasing the battery life, page rendering speed, ability to store more tabs without blanking them out, and weight are all way more important than increasing the iPad's current 132dpi screen.
  • Reply 14 of 73
    No mention of the rear camera. ???

All I want is more storage.
  • Reply 15 of 73
    The important thing from a business standpoint is for Apple to come out with something to buzz about just at the time competitor tablets are hitting the market. You don't want to go up against the latest and greatest with yesterday's news.
  • Reply 16 of 73
    Great, multi sourcing displays means some of us will get nicer screens then others. It's common to try and do this in the supply chain especially on high volume products. But I've never seen two factories from different parties produce an identical product to one another.
  • Reply 17 of 73
    Well, they better be already ramping up the production. Heck, they better start making the iPhone 5 already. These manufacturing stuff takes time, and knowing that Apple has well-planned release schedules of their products, I'm not surprised.
  • Reply 18 of 73
    have not gotten me the 1st gen ipad. I wanted one but this is the reason why I wanted to wait. She got me a 16gb wifi ipad but looks like I'll have to wait at least 2 refreshes till my ipad renders me useless like the 1st or 2nd gen ipod touches and iphone 3g.
  • Reply 19 of 73
    That's Apple's MO. Faster, lighter, thinner. I just hope the back is not going to be plastic like the 3G and 3Gs iPhones were. I really like my iPhone 4 over the 3Gs I had.

I was an early adopter for the iPhone and it was worth the price of admission just for visual voicemail, contact management and email.

I would have bought the first gen. iPad, but the recession kind of kicked me in the nuts. Hope to get version 2.

As far as resolution, I have the iPhone 4 and it is fantastic. I've used the iPad in the stores and it looks fine, too. I think the lack of Retina display is a non-issue at this point.

Best
  • Reply 20 of 73
    axualaxual Posts: 244member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lgutie20 View Post

No mention of the rear camera. ???

Yes there was ... a 1MP