Rumor: Initial sales of Apple's Verizon iPhone 4 disappoint

Comments

• Reply 41 of 118
    Um, duh?

(1) Many people who were holding out for Verizon iPhone either gave up and bought an AT&T iPhone, or gave up and bought an Android handset. Those people are now locked into contracts they can't get out of without hefty fees. Eg people who want a Verizon iPhone but now can't justify switching.

(2) iPhone 4 is now old tech and the Verizon iPhone offers almost no new features, other then the hotspot feature. Thus, no compelling reason to jump ship to it if you already using another smartphone.

(3) Fear apple will shortly release iPhone 5 and your purchase will be instantly antiquated.

In light of those reasons, it was pretty obvious Verizon iPhone wasn't going to be a blowout. Maybe 6 months ago yes, but not now.
  • Reply 42 of 118
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lkrupp View Post

As usual everybody spins this to agree with their personal bias for or against Apple and the iPhone. Wall Street doesn't seem to be bothered though.

Thank goodness! Keep pushing that all time high Apple! Just find a way to keep it up.
  • Reply 43 of 118
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bcahill009 View Post

I think Apple coming to Verizon was more about stopping/slowing the momentum of Android than it was about selling more phones.

There are many people waiting for iphone 5 and many that are in contracts that they can't justify getting out of. Iphone 5 should be the real numbers, and I predict it will be record sales again.

Look at all the free advertising apple is currently getting from att and verizon, this was the real genius of bringing it out when they did. While we wait for iphone 5 all we see are iphone commercials and nearly zero android commercials

So it's apart of an intricate chess match, you say? Yeah, I hear you.

I guess on the other end, Verizon stopped the AT&T iPhone momentum as well.

You're right about the ads. It seems like the iPhone is the only phone on the market right now when I turn on the television.
  • Reply 44 of 118
    tenobelltenobell Posts: 7,014member
    Verizon has over 90 million subscribers. Why wouldn't Apple launch the new phone on their network? That wouldn't make much sense.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by cameronj View Post

There's certainly no guarantee that Verizon will have the iPhone5 in 4 months. I personally believe it won't.

• Reply 45 of 118
    that probably another major reason iphone sales aren't as robust as anticipated. i have 1.6 mos till my contract is up and won't be switching to the iphone b/c of it...even though i've been waiting years for a verizon iphone. it costs too much to break my contract and on top of that, pay for the iphone. i've always gotten free phones with contract renew, guess i will have to scrap that from now on once i can get my hands on the iphone.
  • Reply 46 of 118
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

OMG relaunching the same phone 7 months later with the expectation that it will be obsolete in five months an it is selling a little below expectations??? Apple is DOOMED

I'm not saying that Apple is doomed (longterm shareholder), but the point is that the expectations that weren't met were Apple's and Verizon's, not some analyst's. The fact that Apple is smart company with lots of resources, and all of the data from it's own research, Verizon's customer data (when contracts expire, trends of when people will pay ETFs, etc), it irks me that (if the article is true) that their expectations were too high.

That should bother any shareholder at least a little, no?
  • Reply 47 of 118
    Possible reasons:

It was launched right after the holidays.

People were actually caught off guard with no months of lead time to plan how to save up money, get out of their existing contracts and sell their old phones.

It's basically the same model that has been available for 7 months.

If you really wanted one you already have one on AT&T.

If you couldn't stand to leave Verizon you are on contract with a droid pretending it's superior while secretly waiting for your contract to end so you can get an iPhone.

Most people that expect to switch carriers or dump the droid for the iPhone are planning to wait until the new iPhone comes out in June / July and switch then.

Some are expecting AT&T to improve after many people jump ship to Verizon

Maybe AT&T wasn't so bad for most.

Maybe the market for smart phones has peaked.

Maybe the Droids are not so bad.

People are really waiting for the iPad 2 and will spend their gadget money on that and get an iPhone later
  • Reply 48 of 118
    c64c64 Posts: 33member
    Verizon should of offered early upgrades,but they decided to be asses
  • Reply 50 of 118
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by noexpectations View Post

I think that there were a few unhappy (loud and vocal too) AT&T customers. But for most people, Verizon was not seen as a better choice.

As each day passes, more information on the lack of Verizon iPhone features surface. This was on 9-to-5 Mac today:

Maybe, just maybe, customers are smart. Maybe people realize that Verizon's CDMA network has crippled the iPhone (lack of speed, lack of concurrent voice/data, lack of global coverage, lack of "real" conference call ability and management (no drop, no swap, no more than 2 calls)).

Here was an opening day at an Apple Store....embarrassing for Apple.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GUaFywhywjA

Because Apple waited too long. If the 3GS would have been CDMA it would have been huge - before Android became a credible challenger. Talking with kids - 17-20 - today, its all about how Android lets you do more stuff and Apple keeps you locked down.
  • Reply 51 of 118
    cameronjcameronj Posts: 2,357member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TenoBell View Post

Verizon has over 90 million subscribers. Why wouldn't Apple launch the new phone on their network? That wouldn't make much sense.

I think you know the answer to your question.

But I'll indulge you - the reason is because they just released one this month, and we all know the outcry that will happen when those buyers have their phone made to look old. I'm not saying it's 100%, but that's where my bet is.
  • Reply 52 of 118
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

There's no way you can predict these sales numbers. Any analyst who puts a concrete number on this thing is an amateur.

Agreed, seems reminiscent of the negative commentary about the "first iPhone numbers" coming out of Japan a couple of years ago. Underwhelming to start with, but now very healthy!

Best
  • Reply 53 of 118
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Beeman60 View Post

Looks like they doubled their sales.

Fantastic.

Overnight, they are selling twice as many phones with verizon and att combined than they were selling with att alone.

Major win for apple.

Exactly. Most people miss this simple point.

And, I'll take the $3.58 up (so far) today.
  • Reply 54 of 118
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by shadash View Post

Because Apple waited too long. If the 3GS would have been CDMA it would have been huge - before Android became a credible challenger. Talking with kids - 17-20 - today, its all about how Android lets you do more stuff and Apple keeps you locked down.

Yeah. Apple is Doomed.?
  • Reply 55 of 118
    - Thursday: Verizon = 909, AT&T = 539 Difference=370

- Friday: Verizon = 916, AT&T = 680 Diff=236

- Saturday: Verizon = 660, AT&T = 471 Diff=189

- Sunday: Verizon = 796, AT&T = 701 Diff=95

- Monday: Verizon = 711, AT&T = 618 Diff=93

Trend not looking good for Verizon.....5 days after their biggest launch in history, AT&T is almost back on top.
  • Reply 56 of 118
    so friggin funny!
  • Reply 57 of 118
    adonissmuadonissmu Posts: 1,776member
    Not shocked at all. It's an old iPhone. There is going to be a significant release in June....so most people are waiting until iPhone 5 when there is the wallet and other things like that added to the iPhone.
  • Reply 58 of 118
    Wow that is a pretty significant list of differences.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by noexpectations View Post

As each day passes, more information on the lack of Verizon iPhone features surface. This was on 9-to-5 Mac today:

• Reply 59 of 118
    There is no one model of Android phone that sells anywhere near the iPhone by itself.

Exactly what are 17 - 20 year olds doing with Android that they find better than the iPhone? Outside of the internet I've never heard anyone care about how open or closed a phone OS is.

The people I know with Android phones are mostly using the same apps that are available on the iPhone.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by shadash View Post

• Reply 60 of 118
    You really think in July Apple is going to leave money on the table because of concern about people who bought a phone back in February?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by cameronj View Post

I think you know the answer to your question

But I'll indulge you - the reason is because they just released one this month, and we all know the outcry that will happen when those buyers have their phone made to look old. I'm not saying it's 100%, but that's where my bet is.