Use of RFID in Apple's iPhone 5 expected to have a 'unique' twist

Posted:
in iPhone edited March 2014
Apple is expected to include near-field communications technology like radio-frequency identification (RFID) in its next-generation iPhone, but with a different approach to the feature than has been seen in RFID-powered Android phones, according to a new report.

Analyst Brian White with Ticonderoga Securities issued a note to investors on Thursday from the Mobile World Congress in Barcelona, Spain. He noted that there has been a rising interest in near-field communications (NFC) at this year's show.

White said that his sources have indicated to him that the next iPhone will include NFC technology. However, Apple's approach will reportedly have "a twist that will make it unique versus his peers." White did not give any indication as to what the "twist" could be.

He did note that earlier this week, it was revealed that the forthcoming Samsung Galaxy S II will feature NFC technology, while he said Google has pushed RFID as technology that "has the opportunity to revolutionize electronic commerce and payments." But the rumor would suggest that Apple is looking to offer more than an e-wallet for payment processing at retail stores.

Last November, one rumor claimed that Apple could use NFC technology in both its future iPhones and Macs to allow RFID-enabled "remote computing." It was said the rumored technology would allow users to securely turn a nearby Mac into their own personal computer, complete with custom settings, personal passwords, and even desktop backgrounds.

Apple has also filed patents related to NFC technology, including one discovered last July which would allow users to obtain information about a range of products wirelessly and instantly. Examples of potential uses for the service, called "Products+," included obtaining information about a product to receiving promotions and coupons.

The Cupertino, Calif.-based iPhone maker has also hired experts on near-field communications, and was even rumored to be testing iPhone models with RFID chips as recently as August.

Also in his note issued on Thursday, White noted that Softbank has issued all 20,000 of its employees both an iPhone and iPad from Apple. He said the news is "a sign of things to come across enterprises," predicting further corporate adoption of Apple's iOS devices.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 65
    Yes. It will also include Steve's own RDF.
  • Reply 2 of 65
    Another shocker: Apple innovating.

But seriously when I saw the rumors of an iPhone nano or mini I thought, what's the point? Then, as I was planning what to take on a trip abroad, my iPhone or iPad or both, it struck me. When traveling, the smaller iPhone would be the perfect companion to an iPad. Especially if they could be linked in some way. Otherwise you are carrying around functions in both devices that are largely duplicative. You don't really want a phone in your iPad, but a linked little buddy that makes calls but has a little screen would be a perfect companion. You have the iPad for your big screen-needing functions.
  • Reply 3 of 65
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Last November, one rumor claimed that Apple could use NFC technology in both its future iPhones and Macs to allow RFID-enabled "remote computing." It was said the rumored technology would allow users to securely turn a nearby Mac into their own personal computer, complete with custom settings, personal passwords, and even desktop backgrounds.

This can be done and it is done in research environments! I hope Apple introduces this system to the mass market. Pinch of salt: look for distances less than 20-30cm.
  • Reply 4 of 65
    Memos going out today from the CEOs at Google, MSFT, Motorola, HTC, Samsung et. al:

"Order new copiers."
  • Reply 5 of 65
    jcozjcoz Posts: 251member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Robin Huber View Post

But seriously when I saw the rumors of an iPhone nano or mini I thought, what's the point? Then, as I was planning what to take on a trip abroad, my iPhone or iPad or both, it struck me. When traveling, the smaller iPhone would be the perfect companion to an iPad. Especially if they could be linked in some way. Otherwise you are carrying around functions in both devices that are largely duplicative. You don't really want a phone in your iPad, but a linked little buddy that makes calls but has a little screen would be a perfect companion. You have the iPad for your big screen-needing functions.

This was one of the things that interested me about HP's future offerings....

Not really the tap to transfer thing, although you can throw that in if you want, but being able to get texts/calls on your tablet from your phone without having to say, take it out of your pocket or go pick it up off the charger at home, etc.

I mean it would be up to someone else to see what all you can do with that interoperability, but I could easily envision people buying tablet/phone as a combo if the integration between the devices offered enough added value.

That seems like great motivation for companies to get that right and make it a selling point that enables you to sell 2 devices rather than one.

Right now I'd like to bet on Apple being the ones to get that right (HP just has a toe in the door IMO, because that Pre isn't up to snuff) But I can't be sure.

Makes all the sense in the world though. Hopefully iOS 5....
  • Reply 6 of 65
    xzuxzu Posts: 139member
    Apple is going to use its large server farm to process all transactions in the United States, and its 60 billion to start a bank and provide credit to consumers and discounts on their products. That way everything with actually go through Apple.

Probably not, but lets start the rumor here.
  • Reply 7 of 65
    On a more serious note: Would it be possible for NFC to handle high volume, near-instantaneous syncing between iOS devices?
  • Reply 8 of 65
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Robin Huber View Post

The iPhone isn't that big...how many people need two phones just for traveling?

Now if they sold an iPhone that was iPad nano size (previous gen), which was like $100 bucks w/o a contract and I could just throw my SIM card in it, that would be interesting.
  • Reply 9 of 65
    What could RFID be used for? Social networking? If not, why? If so, why? Other suggestions?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

On a more serious note: Would it be possible for NFC to handle high volume, near-instantaneous syncing between iOS devices?

The data rate for NFC is low. It creates a very small looped, secure connection.
  • Reply 10 of 65
    The unique twist is that it is STILL inherently insecure, it is STILL a spychip in essence, and you are STILL best served WITHOUT RFID/NFC!

In review, for your final exam:

RFID/NFC is nothing but a spychip -- having one in a phone isn't much different than being chipped like a dog, see:

http://spychips.com - how RFID will compromise privacy, security, freedom

and watch the free documentary movie that covers this topic:

http://freedomtofascism.com America: Freedom to Fascism

RFID/NFC is also inherently insecure, just watch:

http://www.disclose.tv/action/viewvi...easily_hacked/
  • Reply 11 of 65
    quinneyquinney Posts: 2,528member
    Quote:

Also in his note issued on Thursday, White noted that Softbank has issued all 20,000 of its employees both an iPhone and iPad from Apple. He said the news is "a sign of things to come across enterprises," predicting further corporate adoption of Apple's iOS devices.

Nice chunk of revenue from one entity.
  • Reply 12 of 65
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    The chip should be removable like a sim for those who don't want it or need to transfer it to another device or when disposing of an old device, changing bank accounts etc.
  • Reply 13 of 65
    irnchrizirnchriz Posts: 1,617member
    Examples where you could use RFID

1. App links - You go into a restaurant chain and on the way in there is a board advertising their App for the iPhone saying 'swipe your phone here for the free app' etc. So you wave your iphone over it and it pops up with the app store on the phone and loads up the app for you to download.

2. Buying tickets - You buy a ticket online then go for your flight/train etc and swipe the phone to check in

3. Facebook - Auto 'check in' at a location by just swiping your iPhone

You then have the run of the mill uses e.g parking meters etc

Of course for any 'secure' transactions RFID is purely an identifier and must be backed up with user authorisation as RFID information can easily be cloned. This is why, when grocery shopping, a combination of bar code and RFID is used for self checkouts to make sure your not retagging an RFID on a 12 pack of stella as a box of cornflakes

It would be good if the RFID on the iPhone was programmable or could hold/present different ID's for different apps. An example would be that you send a one time RFID key encrypted with a PIN along with a purchase and when you collect it it matches the RFID and your pin and releases the purchase. This RFID is then never used again. Not sure if this is something that can be achieved with current systems.
  • Reply 14 of 65
    Quote:

Apple is expected to include near-field communications technology like radio-frequency identification (RFID) in its next-generation iPhone...

...However, Apple's approach will reportedly have "a twist that will make it unique versus his peers."...

...one rumor claimed that Apple could use NFC technology in both its future iPhones and Macs to allow RFID-enabled "remote computing." It was said the rumored technology would allow users to securely turn a nearby Mac into their own personal computer, complete with custom settings, personal passwords, and even desktop backgrounds.

...which would allow users to obtain information about a range of products wirelessly and instantly. Examples of potential uses for the service, called "Products+..."

Twist and shout!

I am down for a twist from Apple - I think there is a potential for much more than just an eWalllet (although that is pretty cool too). I can see a lot of personalization capabilities in environments (remember the Gates house music/art), simple tracking in an office or home (this stuff has to be used in very close proximity so I don't see Big Bro in this). I can see tracking medical records for emergency access (do need to watch Big Bro closer here) and possibly ID (the way the new passports work - but with GOOD security) that could be incorporated with dynamic security systems. I am sure there are tons of ideas that I have not begun to think here.

We will have to watch carefully to make sure we don't get 'strip searched' at the airport in a whole different way.

I think with reasonable regulation (and an opt-in only system) those ethical and security issues can be dealt with.
  • Reply 15 of 65
    Hey, if they include RFID capabilities in hardware, why not open up for developers to make full use of it? In shopping it can be used to read existing RFID much like bar code. In supply chains, the iPhone can be the device to use without additional hardware. They may replace bar code in apple stores all together in favour of RFID. Documentation of all sorts of things, stock keeping, delivery registration...

And with the same capabilities in iPad, I trust these devices will flow into all sorts of warehouses, transport companies, logistics and ... Well ... I NEED DEVELOPERS FOR ALL MY IDEAS! And time. And money.

This is great news if they do this!
  • Reply 16 of 65
    razorpitrazorpit Posts: 1,796member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Logisticaldron View Post

The data rate for NFC is low. It creates a very small looped, secure connection.

Good point, but it might be the digital key to open a higher-bandwidth connection the NC datacenter to complete a "machine sync". Aside from Verizon's slower data speeds of course... Zzzzzing!

(Before any one starts crying I was just joking about Verizon so calm down....)
  • Reply 17 of 65
    Has a global standard for NFC in credit cards been developed and adopted yet? What about encryption standards? Will Apple's NFC be "more secure" than others, so much that a standards war is imminent? I'll wait for a long time before I take a chance on someone eavesdropping on my credit card transactions. Is it so much of a bother to pull out the credit card, rather than the phone, just to run the transaction? Also, how many of you have to show ID with your credit card transactions? Not many actually, but I can see that you will have to pull out your ID every time you produce a phone with NFC - this will actually seem more of a bother than just swiping your card as usual. Many questions are unanswered, and Apple is usually not the first to the table with untested technology, unless they are inventing the technology in the first place as disruptive technology.
  • Reply 18 of 65
    So how many of you want google knowing your buying habit with an e-wallet feature built into a android device. Not only will they know your location and which websites you may frequent, they will have access to your buying habits so they can market to you even more focused than ever. Imagine you walking by a store that using e-wallet transaction and a advertisement pops up on your phone tell you they have deal on the product you buy all the time in the store you just walked by.

Hell I hat that googlemail read a transaction receipt that was email to me and then stated placing ads base on the receipt. BTW, I made the transaction on another computer which was not mine and the only way google new i bought this product is because of this email since I never bought this product in the past or will in the future. I stopped using googlemail after that.
  • Reply 19 of 65
    jmmxjmmx Posts: 341member
    "Apple's approach will reportedly have "a twist that will make it unique versus his peers.""

Apple coming up with some new "twist" that revolutionizes the conceptual space of some technology? Gee - who would have ever guessed???
  • Reply 20 of 65
    ronboronbo Posts: 669member
    "Use of RFID in Apple's iPhone 5 expected to have a 'unique' twist"

No offense, but that just seems like the kind of prediction anyone could make without fear of contradiction. If Apple implements RFID at all, there is bound to be something about their implementation that'll qualify as a unique twist.