Alleged MacBook Pro pictures reveal Apple's high-speed 'Thunderbolt' port

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
Apple's implementation of Intel's Light Peak technology could be dubbed "Thunderbolt," according to new pictures that claim to show the new 13-inch MacBook Pro hardware and box [updated with photo of English box].

Alleged hardware specifications provided to AppleInsider show that in addition to a supposed Thunderbolt port, the new 13-inch MacBook Pro will also sport an input for an SDXC card. The specs also suggest that the 2.3GHz Core i5 processor will not be accompanied by a discrete graphics card.

The provided specifications include:

2.3GHz Core i5 Processor

4 GB DDR3 @ 1333 MHz

320 GB HDD

13.3-inch display @ 1280x800 pixels

Intel HD Graphics 3000 with 384 MB shared memory

FaceTime high-definition camera

Thunderbolt connector supporting High-Speed I/O and MiniDisplay-Port devices

SDXC, Firewire 800, and two USB 2.0 slots

Backlit keyboard

2.04kg weight

The same supposed Thunderbolt logo was provided to fscklog.com, which also obtained a picture claimed to show the specifications of the new 13-inch MacBook Pro. Those details align with the information shared with AppleInsider.

Update: Providing further confirmation that the specifications and Thunderbolt naming are legitimate, MacRumors has also obtained a picture of the supposed 13-inch MacBook Pro box. The new picture is in English, and shows the same details as reported above.

Finally, a picture claiming to show the ports on the new 13-inch MacBook Pro, including Thunderbolt, has also surfaced. It shows the new high-speed port in the exact same shape as an existing Mini DisplayPort input, which could allow the picture to be easily doctored.

Apple is expected to introduce its new line of MacBook Pros on Thursday. In addition to Intel's latest generation Sandy Bridge processors, the systems are rumored to have support for Intel's high-speed Light Peak data connections.

In fact, Intel is set to hold a press briefing on Light Peak the same day. Sources also told AppleInsider earlier this month that Apple's new MacBook Pros would feature new enhancements outside of the jump to Intel's Sandy Bridge CPUs.

If accurate, the alleged pictures of Apple's 13-inch MacBook Pro and use of the term "Thunderbolt" suggest that the company could include a unique implementation of Light Peak with its own branding that would be unique to Apple products. It would also lend support to rumors that the forthcoming iPad 2 would feature a built-in Mini DisplayPort, perhaps for more than just a video out.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 151
    brucepbrucep Posts: 2,823member
    WOW

the future comes rushing in .

beam me up scotty
  • Reply 2 of 151
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

...unique implementation of Light Peak with its own branding that would be unique to Apple products...

Not if they want anyone else to use the port, they won't.

And can you imagine 10Gbps iOS device transfers? Takes away the complaining about no wireless syncing, that's for sure.

Now the question is: When will I be able to buy a ThunderBolt PCIe card for my Mac Pro? Not buying a new computer just for an amazing port.
  • Reply 3 of 151
    outsideroutsider Posts: 6,008member
    Very interesting. Looks like the mini DP will have connectors for optical connections? How about power? I have a feeling that this isn't LightPeak but some sort of docking technology that carries video, USB, network, FireWire, audio, you name it.

Of course we'll know soon enough.
  • Reply 4 of 151
    This has to be the replacement for the white Macbook. The specs don't make sense for an MBP, especially the screen.
  • Reply 5 of 151
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Not if they want anyone else to use the port, they won't.

And can you imagine 10Gbps iOS device transfers? Takes away the complaining about no wireless syncing, that's for sure.

Now the question is: When will I be able to buy a ThunderBolt PCIe card for my Mac Pro? Not buying a new computer just for an amazing port.

Apple never has that problem and can allow standard light-peak connectors a few ways

- put them on the display

- an adapter for the built in thunderbolt port that splits out lightpeak and mini display port

- make the thunderbolt port one of the standard connectors in the light-peak announcement from intel. I would think this is pretty likely since Apple was the driving force behind the development of Lightpeak at intel.
  • Reply 6 of 151
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Outsider View Post

Very interesting. Looks like the mini DP will have connectors for optical connections? How about power? I have a feeling that this isn't LightPeak but some sort of docking technology that carries video, USB, network, FireWire, audio, you name it.

Of course we'll know soon enough.

If I'm not mistaken, that's exactly what LightPeak is. It would be fast enough to handle just about every single external connection at the same time with no slowdown. I could be wrong, though, I haven't been keeping up on LightPeak recently.
  • Reply 7 of 151
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by alandail View Post

Apple never has that problem

ADC and FireWire come to mind. I mean real FireWire, not the pansy 4-pin 400 ports you see on PCs, I mean real 6-pin 400 ports; the ports that would have made it a USB-killer.

Quote:

and can allow standard light-peak connectors a few ways

This is, of course, providing that ThunderBolt isn't "standard" LightPeak, which given Apple's involvement in the creation of the spec seems unlikely.
  • Reply 8 of 151
    Will LIGHTPEAK allow us to connect 2 external monitors to a Macbook? Wouldn't that be cool?
  • Reply 9 of 151
    blastdoorblastdoor Posts: 3,297member
    What does "High-Speed-E/A" mean?
  • Reply 10 of 151
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Blastdoor View Post

What does "High-Speed-E/A" mean?

The original text was German, so it's probably Eingang/Ausgang.
  • Reply 11 of 151
    markbmarkb Posts: 153member
    Quote:

This has to be the replacement for the white Macbook. The specs don't

I don't know. The FireWire port seems to argue against it being a white MacBook replacement. I really font understand the lack of an integrated video controller. I would much rather have that than a 1394 port.

Also a i5 on the entry level replacement? Weird build in general IMO.
  • Reply 12 of 151
    Look at the left edge of the profile screen shot. What is that color change that occurs in the middle of the Magsafe port and continues up the screen? It looks far to dark and defined to be a shadow and it is perfectly straight down the middle of the port.

It's either a photoshopped picture, or there might be some LiquidMetal involved?
  • Reply 13 of 151
    frank777frank777 Posts: 5,839member
    I can't remember the last time Apple introduced a new IO connection and kept the last generation one on the machine just for fun.

If there's a Thunderbolt port (that does sounds weirdly cool), why would there be a FW800 port?
  • Reply 14 of 151
    herbapouherbapou Posts: 2,228member
    At least the GPU is HD3000, which is decent for a non gaming PC. I was scare they used HD2000 which is very bad.

I still wonder what GPU is going to be on higher models.

Since most of the new external USB drives are going to be USB 3.0, I was hoping for USB 3.0 support...
  • Reply 15 of 151
    Making it the mDP port makes sense. You need to include an external display port but it’s also highly unused by most people, and mDP is a very modern port interface design that Apple created.

First we’ll replace the mDP with the Thunderbolt. Then we’ll see another port drop of and perhaps be replaced with another USB or Thunderbolt port.

Plus, this is the method that a new port would have to be introduce to get it to work with new iDevices. You can’t release them with THunderbolt support without first having the Macs with Thunderbolt support. Since it’s protocol independent LightPeak on Windows users will be able to benefit from this, but Apple will likely have Thunderbolt on every new machine as it revises them, which will put it in the collective hands of Mac users faster than Windows or Linux users. This will help sales of both Macs, iDevices and Apple’s ecosystem when other vendors won’t be able to even start to figure out how to add LightPeak until tomorrow.
  • Reply 16 of 151
    These pictures are obviously fake, just look at the size and weight of the thing, they are the same as the current model up to the mm and up to 10 grams. Which would mean not only the case would be completely unchanged but also that any component that weighs over 10 grams would be exactly the same, or magically add up to exactly 2.04 kilograms again.

Also, I'm not buying that the new MBP's would only have the Sandy Bridge IGP and no seperate GPU, because that would mean they have weaker graphics than the current MacBook Air. Not going to happen.
  • Reply 17 of 151
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by markb View Post

I don't know. The FireWire port seems to argue against it being a white MacBook replacement. I really font understand the lack of an integrated video controller. I would much rather have that than a 1394 port.

Well, yeah, I obviously don't know if this is the new MBP or the new MB or simply a fake. But let's just think about this for a minute.

Option 1: This is the new entry-level 1199$ Macbook Pro. Possible, but not very likely IMHO. At least I hope so, because it would be very, very strange to introduce a supposedly pro-level laptop with a display that's vastly inferior to the screen in the current ultraportable lineup. And I don't just mean the 13"-Air; even the 11"-MBA has more pixels than this leaked laptop. For 1199$, this would be a very tough sell, considering you can get a 13"-MBA with a much better screen, an SSD, and no useles optical drive for 1299$.

Option 2: Apple axe the white Macbook (or relegate it to EDU-only status, kind of like the eMac way back when) and introduce this leaked product as the new entry-level portable at 999$. Now THAT would be a pretty convincing move. The terrible resolution still strikes me as weird, but at 999$, this would be a fine replacement for the plastic Macbook, and it would give consumers a very decent new option at the entry-level. If you wanted to get into Macs, you could then choose between the very capable and portable 11"-MBA, an upgraded iPad, or this new unibody Macbook.

I'm not necessarily saying option two is more likely or anything, it's just the scenario that makes more sense to me. If they go with option 1, it will be disappointing, but not surprising. Apple haven't ever taken the 13"-pro seriously since they introduced it in June 2009.
  • Reply 18 of 151
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tommyt12 View Post

Look at the left edge of the profile screen shot. What is that color change that occurs in the middle of the Magsafe port and continues up the screen? It looks far to dark and defined to be a shadow and it is perfectly straight down the middle of the port.

It's either a photoshopped picture, or there might be some LiquidMetal involved?

Looks like it is still in the plastic wrapper to me. Would much prefer the lightpeak to be integrated with the MagSafe and include an outboard Ethernet port, but I don't imagine the bulk of the people feel that way.
  • Reply 19 of 151
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Apple's implementation of Intel's Light Peak technology could be dubbed "Thunderbolt," ...

Thunderbolt? I prefer the 'Light Peak' name. A unique implementation might require a different name but 'thunderbolt' seems so juvenile. Oh well, kids will love it.
  • Reply 20 of 151
    It's definitely photoshopped. The perspective on the ports changes dramatically between the firewire & thunderbolt port, and notice how the shiny edge on the right comes to a point and disappears under the second USB port from the right.

I also have serious doubts that Apple would name something "Thunderbolt", but that's just my opinion..