Apple sends out invites for iPad 2 media event on March 2

Comments

• Reply 101 of 173
    newbeenewbee Posts: 2,055member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by christopher126 View Post

Where's Canada?

It's the country north of USA .... you know, the one with no bank failures during the latest financial fiasco .... with the "soundest" banking system in the world, according to most "financial experts"....... although that particular term may be redundant in this day and age. ....
  • Reply 102 of 173
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

Ha! He used to sing it!

"I'm bidin' my ti-em..."

"...'cause that's the kinda' guy I'm"'

Holy Cow Dick (if I may be so presumptuous?)

You're as old as me man!

Holy SHITE!
  • Reply 103 of 173
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

The answer is highly dependent upon how many burgers you are able to flip per hour at your current job.

What? .... Techstud got a promotion? ... why didn't someone tell me?
  • Reply 104 of 173
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by newbee View Post

It's the country north of USA .... you know, the one with no bank failures during the latest financial fiasco .... with the "soundest" banking system in the world, according to most "financial experts"....... although that particular term may be redundant in this day and age. ....

BULLLL- SHHIITTE!!

Australia could eat you guys for a quick Halloween Breakfast,

or what ever the Yanks do on 'that' day?

or is it Thanksgivingdaybreakfast - beats me?
  • Reply 105 of 173
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Shaun, UK View Post

Maybe it's a comparative before and after pic. The iPad 1 reflective screen on the right versus the iPad 2 screen on the left?

That's a good catch -- the darker section is not the same shape as a shadow from the cover pealback!

• Reply 106 of 173
    kibitzerkibitzer Posts: 1,114member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

I Think it was done on purpose. It actually draws you in more the way they wrote it.

Carl Reiner, the comedian and director, used to say things like; "That's the kind of guy I'm." Technically he was correct, but not with a common way of expressing it. But you remembered him saying it.

Bidin' My Time - a classic George and Ira Gershwin song (aren't they all?!) from the musical Girl Crazy.
  • Reply 107 of 173
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Neruda View Post

I learned that in the 4th grade.

Ah yes .... 4th grade .... the longest 3 years of Techstud's life ....
  • Reply 108 of 173
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by crift2012 View Post

techstud?

well if amazon held an event would it costs me 50% of my salary?

The original poster that you responded to is too full of him/herself.

To begin with, attendance is by invitation only.

CGC
  • Reply 109 of 173
    cmf2cmf2 Posts: 1,427member
    If I were to hazard a guess, iOS 5 will make the Motorola Atrix and its laptop dock look like a toy.

Hopefully we see some more of Lion.
  • Reply 110 of 173
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by OzExige View Post

BULLLL- SHHIITTE!!

Australia could eat you guys for a quick Halloween Breakfast,

or what ever the Yanks do on 'that' day?

or is it Thanksgivingdaybreakfast - beats me?

Did you miss the part where I was referring to Canada?
  • Reply 111 of 173
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by extremeskater View Post

I wonder how the battery life is going to hold up with the boost in specs.

I've seen discussions that say a Cortex A9 requires less power for the same performance than an A8,

Further, that a GPU core uses less power than a CPU core.

Finally, Apple can implement OpenCL and GCD to use the CPU/GPU cores efficiently.

I suspect that Apple will do all it can to allow developers (Apple and 3rd-party) to exploit the OS and hardware with efficient code.

That's opposed to the competition -- who add power to compensate for inefficient code (poorly-written OS, interpreters, garbage collection, Flash, etc.).
  • Reply 112 of 173
    kibitzerkibitzer Posts: 1,114member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cmf2 View Post

If I were to hazard a guess, iOS 5 will make the Motorola Atrix and its laptop dock look like a toy.

Hopefully we see some more of Lion.

As to Motorola, the timing of Apple's invitation is sublime since the Xoom is scheduled to debut tomorrow - February 24. What a way to kick the pins out from under the competition.

The Xoom may be facing the most disastrous introduction since Tallulah Bankhead opened on Broadway in "Anthony and Cleopatra" - which provoked a devastating review the next day from John Mason Brown in the New York Post: ?Tallulah Bankhead barged down the Nile last night as Cleopatra?and sank.?
  • Reply 113 of 173
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by newbee View Post

Isn't RBC a heavy backer of RIM?
  • Reply 114 of 173
    hirohiro Posts: 2,663member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by christopher126 View Post

Where's Canada?

I think it's in Wisconsin.
  • Reply 115 of 173
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ozexige View Post

holy cow dick (if i may be so presumptuous?)

you're as old as me man!

Holy shite! :d

71.5 :d
  • Reply 116 of 173
    hirohiro Posts: 2,663member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

Yeah. Also, if it was worded correctly (as per your example) it would be unreadable nonsense, so the slightly incorrect grammar is definitely preferred.

People forget also that advertising copy is not proper English and never has been. Traditionally, a huge amount of leeway is given advertising agencies since their very business is inventive wordplay.

If it was a headline in a newspaper it's time to get upset, when it's an advert ... not so much.

Count me in in that sentiment.

This whole pedantry on the language is ridiculous. The phraseology is obviously an allusion to ...the year of _____! Well, putting a blank into the press release would be downright stupid.

As was posted earlier, the "rules" of written English are merely guidelines (except by composition teachers who need them for self fulfillment and grading). English as a language adapts and evolves based on usage, it does not and never has remained static bound to a set of mandatory rules. Let the Grammar Police so be chastised and castigated.
  • Reply 117 of 173
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by andyapple View Post

A preposition is bad to end a sentence with.

Well, you could have stated yours (more aptly) also as:

It's bad to end a sentence with a preposition.

There's what is referred to as artistic license, meant to entice or make the reader ponder ... "Think Different" .., need not explain itself.

And, if you study the history of the English language, you will find that the Shakespeare's English, or that of Milton were written and spoken differently. The language evolves, and continue to do so.

Are you aware that there are variants of the English language, as actually spoken and written all over the world? Lexicographers and linguists who study modern cultures of the world accept these variants as true forms of the English language -- not just the King's English or American English.

Get out more in the larger world... don't spend too much time in the Apple Insider forums. Just don't try your luck as an advertising creator. You will bore everyone, and get fired for being stuffy.

CGC

You might enjoy this:

grammar pedants, language, and stephen fry

But then again, you might not. *grins*
  • Reply 118 of 173
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

Isn't RBC a heavy backer of RIM?

Yes ... and in spite of that, they're still solvent .... go figure.
  • Reply 119 of 173
    Apple likes to send subtle messages like this and they invested in a mapping company about a year ago...should be interesting.
  • Reply 120 of 173
    I don't expect the 'new' port on the ipad to be mini-display.

But we'll find out tomorrow. I expect it to be a thunderbolt port [hate the name].

Does thunderbolt video out?