Apple releases developer preview of Mac OS X 10.7 Lion

Comments

• Reply 41 of 109
    If Lion will run on my 2009 White Macbook. Granted this machine is beat up (I kicked it off a bunk bed) but it still runs fine. I understand that much of the multitouch probably won't work, but I hope Apple does not 'tempt' me to upgrade before this machine dies. Some of the features in Lion (like Autosave) are ones I would REALLY enjoy--losing work because I forgot to save is. not. fun.
  • Reply 42 of 109
    Fix the icons overlaying on the view of each application. That's butt ugly.
  • Reply 43 of 109
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Johnny Mozzarella View Post

Speaking of Lion Server, I hope they finally update QuickTime Streaming Server so it can stream to iOS devices via Apple's HTTP Live Streaming protocol.

What do you think?
  • Reply 44 of 109
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DarkVader View Post

... it's WAY too soon to stop PowerPC software from running.

Software that hasn't been updated in five years should expect not to run on a modern computer. Five years in the computer business is a long time.
  • Reply 45 of 109
    nkhmnkhm Posts: 928member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Intellihence View Post

I'm not seeing anything good about Lion. A new file vault, what's wrong with the old one? Oh , that is right, it was never secure, but they sold it to you, and now they want to resell it again. The mobileme thing is crap. Back in the days when I had OS 9, iTools came with it, sort of like mac.com. Apple giveth and Apple taketh away, now they want to sell a free service that was included with OS 9. Let me know when Apple finally brings something new to the table, because all of this regurgitated CRAP is old already. I really see no reason to buy Lion , the same way I saw no reason to buy Snow Leopard. Apple wants my money like Microsoft, but they aren't offering anything really new.

Don't buy it then.

Go over to windows and use their true full screen apps, versions coupled with autosave and the full server OS built into their desktop OS.
  • Reply 46 of 109
    Quote:

Autosave sounds like a nightmare. People don't expect their computer to automatically save what they're doing. And unless I'm guessing wrong, it won't - unless they're using new 10.7 aware applications. ...

Disagree. All the new users who are coming to OS-X because they like their iPhone/iPad are going to come with the assumption that their work will be saved automatically and disappointed when it isn't. Only the older computer users who are already used to it not saving will not expect the new behaviour.

Also, behaviours are quickly learned when they aren't dependant on actions. By that I mean if the user doesn't have to do anything, but is simply presented with the document open to the exact last place they left off, they will simply accept it, and after two or three times, grow to expect it.

I would expect what will really happen is the expectations of the average users will force developers to step up their game and add the features in as fast as they can. Software that isn't updated with new features will be quickly discarded. Software that isn't available through the Mac App store will be quickly obsolete. Something like the PPC apps (discussed above) that haven't been updated for five long years will become an anomaly, if they survive at all.

The whole world of Mac software just moved into overdrive this year IMO and developers that don't step up will be lost in the dustcloud in our collective rear-view mirrors. The idea that you can put out a single gigantic piece of software and only update it once in a blue moon is already gone. It will just take folks a while to realise this has happened.
  • Reply 47 of 109
    nkhmnkhm Posts: 928member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ascii View Post

Imagine a beginner sitting down to a Mac with all those gestures enabled. They're just trying to learn the trackpad and they'll be having things flying left right and centre and not understanding why. They will freak out.

You must know some very stupid people, or have a very low opinion of the average intelligent individual. There aren't that many people on the planet who haven't played with an iOS device or used a track pad before.
  • Reply 48 of 109
    AutoSave will be great, but Versions? So totally irritating and annoying in Windows-programs that it only gets people mixed up and makes them loose the version they're actually hoping to rescue. Hope you can choose the one or the other.
  • Reply 49 of 109
    xsuxsu Posts: 401member
    Hope it makes into iOS too. Then at least I can wirelessly transfer files across apple products.
  • Reply 50 of 109
    So are everything sounds good.

However, there are three features my former windows clients are really hoping to see in Lion.

1. SAVE WINDOW POSITION. Everyone of my former windows clients misses the ability to have an application open maximized automatically. (Application opens full screen except the dock is still visible.) A maximized screen focuses the user on the task at hand but allows quick application switching via the dock.

Full screen mode is nice for those with a small screen. However, if you have a large screen, why take an extra step to make the dock visible if have have the screen space available for the dock.

The user should have the option to either have full screen or have the operating system remember the users preferred window size and location.

2. Mouse pointer size ? my clients with 27 inch iMacs really wish Apple would give the user two additional mouse pointer sizes ? medium and large. Currently you can scale the mouse pointer size but the pointer becomes jagged very quickly.

3. Magic Mouse control ? None of my iMac clients like the speed of the Magic Mouse. The slow movements are too slow and the fast movements are too fast. Clients like the Magic Mouse under Bootcamp but not in Snow Leopard. Maybe Apple should allow the user to adjust the non accelerated movement speed and separately adjust the acceleration factor.

Overall I think my clients will be fairly pleased with what Apple will introduce with 10.7.
  • Reply 51 of 109
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

Software that hasn't been updated in five years should expect not to run on a modern computer. Five years in the computer business is a long time.

How about a Core Duo? Is Lion 64 bit only?
  • Reply 52 of 109
    xsuxsu Posts: 401member
    Quote:

Yeah, I'm really not seeing much here to recommend it.

Can anyone confirm the real deal-killer on this "upgrade" - the rumor that Rosetta is going to be removed? Because it's WAY too soon to stop PowerPC software from running.

I'm sure with the machinese these days, you can put on a copy of VMWare or Parallel, install snow lepoard or earlier on it to run your Rosetta software with no ill effect.
  • Reply 53 of 109
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ascii View Post

Full-disk encryption - quite a few people have wanted that one. I am looking forward to seeing the new Mail app - the iPad mail app is very nice.

The current mail app, which I like very much in terms of its functionality, is a little long in the tooth in terms of the UI. But, I hope making it more iPad like actually makes it a better Mac app, and not just more iPad like. Not that there's anything fundamentally wrong with the iPad mail app, just that it's designed for a tablet/touch UI.
  • Reply 54 of 109
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

The current mail app, which I like very much in terms of its functionality, is a little long in the tooth in terms of the UI. But, I hope making it more iPad like actually makes it a better Mac app, and not just more iPad like. Not that there's anything fundamentally wrong with the iPad mail app, just that it's designed for a tablet/touch UI.

I really dislike one iPad Mail feature. When I edit > select > delete on a message, the program thinks I should look at the message before I delete it. I get a lot of junk that isn't spam, since that gets filtered, just junky newsletters and notifications, which I know I don't need to look at. Each message has to pop onto the display as I prepare to delete it. So annoying. It works differently on the iPhone which is how it should work on the iPad IMO.
  • Reply 55 of 109
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mstone View Post

I really dislike one iPad Mail feature. When I edit > select > delete on a message, the program thinks I should look at the message before I delete it. I get a lot of junk that isn't spam, since that gets filtered, just junky newsletters and notifications, which I know I don't need to look at. Each message has to pop onto the display as I prepare to delete it. So annoying. It works differently on the iPhone which is how it should work on the iPad IMO.

It's different on the iPhone because there isn't room to show the message list and the messages. I can see the reasoning behind showing the message you've selected to delete, but I find it a little annoying too. Better junk handling would be an improvement, though, although, I'm sure the Mac version would retain that. I just wish the iOS versions supported creation of folders and rules, also not an issue for the Mac version.

My main fear is that what works well on a tablet, and may even work well on a MBA or MBP, will just seem clunky on a 27" monitor.
  • Reply 56 of 109
    Definitely interested in Lion!
  • Reply 57 of 109
    Quote:

Autosave sounds like a nightmare. People don't expect their computer to automatically save what they're doing. And unless I'm guessing wrong, it won't - unless they're using new 10.7 aware applications. More user confusion ahead.

I expect it as do most people I know (especially productive ones - say not nerds -).

It's a nightmare to lose the last updates of an iMovie project or mail etc.

Mac OS X is rock solid, but applications can (and do) crash.

So auto save is an absolute necessity.

Quote:

versions? Hard to believe that it's taken until 2011 to finally get around to pulling this feature out of 1980s VMS, isn't it? Yeah, that's right, multiple document versions were automatically maintained by an operating system back in the '80s. It was simple enough, the OS just appended a semi-colon and a version number to the filename. Don't get me wrong, I'm glad to see it happen, but don't imagine for a moment that it's actually an innovation.

Your right, its not new. But did you use VMS?

I can tell you it's absolutely unusable, like thinking upside down. Unix command-line is a blessing in comparison.

J.
  • Reply 58 of 109
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

It's different on the iPhone because there isn't room to show the message list and the messages. I can see the reasoning behind showing the message you've selected to delete, but I find it a little annoying too.

I seems as if, after they invented the pretty cool layered message view feature, the programmers were so enamored with it that they could not be persuaded to remove that part of the view controller when it went into edit mode.
  • Reply 59 of 109
    zoetmbzoetmb Posts: 2,654member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Intellihence View Post

I'm not seeing anything good about Lion. A new file vault, what's wrong with the old one? Oh , that is right, it was never secure, but they sold it to you, and now they want to resell it again. The mobileme thing is crap. Back in the days when I had OS 9, iTools came with it, sort of like mac.com. Apple giveth and Apple taketh away, now they want to sell a free service that was included with OS 9. Let me know when Apple finally brings something new to the table, because all of this regurgitated CRAP is old already. I really see no reason to buy Lion , the same way I saw no reason to buy Snow Leopard. Apple wants my money like Microsoft, but they aren't offering anything really new.

Yes, they wanted a whole $29 for Snow Leopard. I'm sure this would have broken your bank. A revised OS for the price of a large pizza and soda sounds like an incredible deal to me. I'm sure Lion will go for a bit more, but still an incredibly good value IMO. It seems to me that the UI functional improvements alone are worth far more than $29.
  • Reply 60 of 109
    Quote:

Yeah, I'm really not seeing much here to recommend it.

Can anyone confirm the real deal-killer on this "upgrade" - the rumor that Rosetta is going to be removed? Because it's WAY too soon to stop PowerPC software from running.

Too soon to shitcan Rosetta? Really?

Here in 2011 I can say that I have no apps installed that require Rosetta. The vast majority of developers have upgraded their software to Intel (or, at least, universal) so Rosetta is, and damn well should be, a non argument.