Apple's introduces 15-, 17-in. MacBook Pros with quad-core i7 CPUs, AMD GPUs

Comments

• Reply 21 of 180
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mdriftmeyer View Post

You may never use a DVD or a CD but the vast majority of users still use them. Hell, I just burned a couple DVDs this past week.

Ah yes, the fabled "majority of users". I know a ton of Mac users, and no one ever uses the Superdrive. Why should they, anyway? Burning DVDs is slow, there are thumbdrives for that. And no one I know watches DVDs anymore, they're dead media.

Oh well, no MBP for me this time. Guess I'll wait for an updated iMac (yes, I know, there's a superfluous Superdrive in there too).
  • Reply 22 of 180
    zephzeph Posts: 133member
    Thunderbolt can handle only up to 6 devices???
  • Reply 23 of 180
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nvidia2008 View Post

Honestly, IMO it would have been possible for Apple to have done a redesign to make it more Air-like without having to do any theatrics, especially since Steve is not well.

Apple already have an Air series why would you want to do away with the MacBook Pro series designs? One day when 2 TB solid state storage is low cost and internal DVD drives are gone I can see there will be a convergence but till then a MBP is needed as is. Heck I have virtually replaced my Mac Pro with a MBP they are so powerful and versatile, so I don't want to see a reduction of its abilities for the sake of becoming svelte thank you .
  • Reply 24 of 180
    djintxdjintx Posts: 454member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nvidia2008 View Post

Thanks!

Yes!

Good points:

AMD 6750M GPU 1GB

DualCore and QuadCore

Thunderbolt

Bad points:

MBP 13" and base MBP 15"

Lack of Thunderbolt peripherals

Seeming discordance in MBP range

No redesign

Unknown points:

Hopefully cheaper SSD

I'm happy with no external redesign. I think this design is the best portable they have ever done, and I can't imagine how they would improve it. I got the first aluminum macbook when it came out in 2008, and I still love it. My fear is that when I am ready to upgrade Apple will have redesigned completely and I won't like the current iteration very much. I have never had a computer that 2 and a half years later I still love the design as much as or more than the newer models.

The only thing I can guess from your post is that you were hoping it would be more MacBook Air-like? If so, why not just get an Air?
  • Reply 25 of 180
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by zeph View Post

Yes. And one of those devices could be a PCI Express card rack. Into which you could put all manner of connectivity cards. Thunderbolt is a bus level connection, it's not a device level connection.

- Jasen.
  • Reply 26 of 180
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jasenj1 View Post

Yes. And one of those devices could be a PCI Express card rack. Into which you could put all manner of connectivity cards. Thunderbolt is a bus level connection, it's not a device level connection.

- Jasen.

I was already wondering why Apple haven't got a few varieties of external Thunderbolt hubs ready to go. Perhaps they will leave that to Griffin et al.
  • Reply 27 of 180
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Parkettpolitur View Post

Ah yes, the fabled "majority of users". I know a ton of Mac users, and no one ever uses the Superdrive.

I also know lots of Macbook and Macbook pro users, most that I know do use the drive often. DVD isn't dead, I'm not burning DVDs or creating media but there is still plenty to be consumed.

Many of us don't have the means to replace our entire physical library with the latest and greatest platform. Some of us also haven't had the chance to buy and set up a digital media server so we can digitize everything. Things like that take time and money, both are precious commodities in our household.
  • Reply 28 of 180
    Bit of a let down, after all the rumours going around.
  • Reply 29 of 180
    As soon as the MBA's start outselling the MBP's by a wide margin, that's when they will start dropping the MBP's from the lineup. And SSD prices have dropped and MBA speed goes up!
  • Reply 30 of 180
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tokolosh View Post

I also know lots of Macbook and Macbook pro users, most that I know do use the drive often. DVD isn't dead, I'm not burning DVDs or creating media but there is still plenty to be consumed.

Many of us don't have the means to replace our entire physical library with the latest and greatest platform. Some of us also haven't had the chance to buy and set up a digital media server so we can digitize everything. Things like that take time and money, both are precious commodities in our household.

It would have been nice to have the option to replace the SuperDrive with a SSD though. And even if you choose to replace the SuperDrive you can always get an external drive.

I'm in the camp that very very rarely reads or writes to a DVD/CD. Everyone I know has moved to HDD based Media Players and digital downloads (legal and illegal) But I understand there still is a need for them
  • Reply 31 of 180
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by christopher126 View Post

As soon as the MBA's start outselling the MBP's by a wide margin, that's when they will start dropping the MBP's from the lineup. And SSD prices have dropped and MBA speed goes up!

They serve two pretty different needs at the moment though. High end MBPs are now powerful enough (since i7 IMO) in all respects to be real low to medium end work stations for the likes of video production when hooked up to a bunch of external storage devices. It will be a while before Airs can do that ... it will happen no doubt, but it is not going happen for a few years IMHO. Which I guess is what you are saying here

Frankly, I suspect the iPad2 will be eating into Air sales more than Air into MBP's sales.
  • Reply 32 of 180
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

My late 2010 MMP i7 does it all the time with use of video when playing just about any game and any sniff of flash ... I expect it will be pretty much the same on the new models. I had fun monitoring this for a while but the fan is the sure sign it has kicked in ... unless of course our cat has snuggled up to the back of the MBP cutting of air flow which she has done on several occasion!

That's good to hear, the 2.0GHz may not be such a big deal then.
  • Reply 33 of 180
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by holden89 View Post

Bit of a let down, after all the rumours going around.

Yep, real sad Apple come out with the best imaginable and most advanced LapTop on Earth. Must be really worth joining a forum to complain about.
  • Reply 34 of 180
    definitely a step in the right direction, got my name down on a 15". Just have to keep it away form the wife who dropped her last one two days after she bought it! Still works though!
  • Reply 35 of 180
    sorry double post somehow???
  • Reply 36 of 180
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ascii View Post

That's good to hear, the 2.0GHz may not be such a big deal then.

I must admit on my MBP i7 (not MMP sorry for that typo) when I render in FCPro the fan really screams but boy it is fast. I have yet to find what the actual GHz attained is but compared to my 8 Core Xeon Mac Pro it is not too shabby in rendering times. I do see all 4 cores maxing out. The biggest difference from the Mac Pro is that can do other tasks without taking a hit while rendering HD video, the MBP is pretty much a one trick pony and I have learned not to expect it to do anything else at the same time.

I wish there were a utility that actually showed the clock speeds changing in real time but nothing I have tried does that so far.
  • Reply 37 of 180
    What a JOKE, no USB 3.0 support?! No FireWire 1600 support? Same old same old.

What resolution is the new "HD" iSight/FaceTime camera?
  • Reply 38 of 180
    zoetmbzoetmb Posts: 2,654member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mdriftmeyer View Post

You may never use a DVD or a CD but the vast majority of users still use them. Hell, I just burned a couple DVDs this past week.

Same here. I don't know what this insistence is on providing less. If one doesn't want an optical drive because you think that gets you the thinnest and lightest possible machine, that machine already exists. It's called the Air. I, for one, do not want Apple to cripple the MBP line to turn them into Airs and I don't think they want to either - that's why they have two product lines.

I definitely want an optical drive in my next MBP and while I think I like the idea of a combo SSD/HD, I would not want the hard disk removed completely unless the SSD has the same high capacity and was the same cost, but right now, a 250GB SSD is pretty expensive.

And while a "redesign" is always interesting because it's fun to see where Apple is going to take it next, there's nothing wrong with the current design of the MBP. It still looks better than every other laptop out there. It boggles the mind that almost every Windows laptop out there still only has analog video output. On these new models, I was really glad to see that even though Apple added the new Thunderbolt port (although it replaced the Display Port), they still kept all the traditional USB, Firewire and Ethernet ports. I half expected them to drop one of those like they dropped the FW port a few years back, then had to restore it in later models.
  • Reply 39 of 180
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by zeph View Post

Only 6 devices? I find it pretty impressive you can hook up 6 devices to a single port. Did you ever try connecting 6 devices to a single USB port at the same time, through a hub? The data rate decreases exponentially with every device you add. Not to mention the CPU load on your computer.
  • Reply 40 of 180
    eriamjheriamjh Posts: 1,644member
    The battery life just took a 1-2 hour hit. It now says 7 hours instead of 8-9.

I'm really considering a refurb of the previous model. The savings is huge! Anything will rock compared to my 1.83 CD MBP!