Apple's introduces 15-, 17-in. MacBook Pros with quad-core i7 CPUs, AMD GPUs

Comments

• Reply 101 of 180
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Futuristic View Post

You poor, misguided soul. Don't you know that it's waaay more fun to bitch about the fantastical, rumored features that never made the cut (or that the laws of physics simply won't allow)?? Quad-core, schmad-core. Where's my 4D, wet-wired, trans-phasic, immersive interface, dammit??? Dude, I'm gettin' a Dell.

Everything you say is true.
  • Reply 102 of 180
    tenobelltenobell Posts: 7,014member
    I remember in 2002 I had friends who worked at a post facility. They were making internal and preview work on 3/4 inch U-matic tape for ad agencies. 3/4 inch is a tape format from the 70's. The reason it was still used is because it was cheap and everyone had decks.

The post house was trying to push its clients to adopt DVD. Which was faster and easier to create and send out than U-matic tapes.

Sounds like it hasn't changed. Today uploading a digital file that can be accessed through a secure password is far easier and faster than dealing with a DVD.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by WelshDog View Post

The DVD drive is still needed by enough users that it is justified. I work for a post facility and we still make hundreds of viewing DVDs for people every couple of months. They might have video or data it just depends. Since most of our clients are advertising agencies they like to have something to put on a shelf for future reference.

And we don't make BluRays. Almost no one asks for them.

• Reply 103 of 180
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Sleepy Dinosaur View Post

I wasnt disappointed by the specs...Apple clearly changed direction towards power over battery life. What killed me is raising the prices.....

I decided to forgo and buy one second hand. Apple's not getting my money this time around. I realize that production proces fluctuate but in this economy to raise prices 100-200 is counter productive.

I won't bitch about it, I just won't spend my money.

Huh? They raised the prices? The prices look the same to me.
  • Reply 104 of 180
    Strange that AI hasn't specifically mentioned the (expensive) $150 BTO option on the 15 inch version for a non-glossy screen. A much discussed issue, yet ignored. $50 on the 17 inch version, which is the same as with the previous version, as I recall.
  • Reply 105 of 180
    zephzeph Posts: 133member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

First, what are you doing that exceeds 8GB now or in the next two years?

Sample libraries.
  • Reply 106 of 180
    Quote:

First, what are you doing that exceeds 8GB now or in the next two years?

Sample libraries.
  • Reply 107 of 180
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,953member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mstone View Post

There are a lot of variants of both GSM and CDMA worldwide so they are probably waiting for LTE.

That didn't stop Apple from offering just one variant it with the iPad.

Besides, one Gobi chipset covers 9 cellular data variants, another covers 11. If you can't find a good carrier that offers one of those, then you're probably screwed anyway.
  • Reply 108 of 180
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Shaun, UK View Post

Wow that's some price hike over the past year. I was looking at MBPs this time last year when my local AppleStore opened and seem to remember the entry level models were around £1250 & £1650. Now that's £1549 and £2099. I know VAT has gone up but that's a big jump.

Funny, I thought the exact opposite...

Quote:
    Originally Posted by zeph View Post

There appears to have been a modest price drop across the board.

A 2.0GHz/i7-quad/8GB RAM/500GB(7200)HDD goes for $2099

A 2.6GHz/i7-dual/8GB RAM/500GB(7200)HDD went for $2649 yesterday

Although the latter probably compares better to the 2.2GHz quad with 1GB Radeon GPU ($2399)

edit: the upgraded 2.3GHz goes for $2649

• Reply 109 of 180
    Quote:

False dichotomy. There are notebook data chipsets that can use both GSM and CDMA, and they've been around and used for a couple years now. Besides, publicly, CDMA was always said to be a non-starter until this year.

You have that option with the Air, what more do you want?

That's funny. It's like saying I want that BMW without the CD drive, and the response is 'Then get a Honda'.

I want the pro level machine with more battery life and no ODD. Not sure why that desire threatens folks so much.
  • Reply 110 of 180
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by zeph View Post

Sample libraries.

OK. That's a lot of samples. I ask because I usually keep a couple dozen programs and services running on my Mac Pro and I've not exceeded 8GB in years.

I think this is a matter of unavailable chips because I haven't found any compatible RAM cards that offer more than 4GB a stick. For that matter, I haven't found any kind of SODIMM for sale that is larger than 4GB per stick. When 8GB sticks are available, I'm pretty sure the computers can use them.
  • Reply 111 of 180
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rbonner View Post

That's funny. It's like saying I want that BMW without the CD drive, and the response is 'Then get a Honda'.

I want the pro level machine with more battery life and no ODD. Not sure why that desire threatens folks so much.

Sorry, it was a parody / joke that apparently didn't work.
  • Reply 112 of 180
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by xsu View Post

Not as easy as it seems. Making it an option means producing a new case for those who don't need a slot on the side, which means double the number of possible configurations for the model affected.

I agree with that. And Apple is probably not going back to making the accessory replaceable. How cool would it be if we could put in a battery, ODD or a hard drive. The 2 that don't require the slot could fill it in.
  • Reply 113 of 180
    mr omr o Posts: 1,046member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DJinTX View Post

I'm happy with no external redesign. I think this design is the best portable they have ever done, and I can't imagine how they would improve it. I got the first aluminum macbook when it came out in 2008, and I still love it. My fear is that when I am ready to upgrade Apple will have redesigned completely and I won't like the current iteration very much. I have never had a computer that 2 and a half years later I still love the design as much as or more than the newer models.

The only thing I can guess from your post is that you were hoping it would be more MacBook Air-like? If so, why not just get an Air?

1. The tilted keyboard of the air feels so much nicer. It supports your wrists in a natural way. With the current macbook pro you really need to lay your wrists on the laptop. Which feels awkward after a while. I do realise that they can only offer a tilted keyboard when they drop the superdrive …

2. Integrating the power button in the keyboard is a great way to reduce clutter. Again, a great design feature from the Air that did not find his way onto the new macbook pro.

I guess we will have to wait until October (and santa Claus) for a redesigned Macbook Pro
  • Reply 114 of 180
    I think when we get to the point where we have quad core processors that throttle from 2.3GHz to 3.4GHz. Pretty much makes the CPU a commodity item.

I think from this point out GPU and SDD will become more important in system performance.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Cory Bauer View Post

I'm really surprised virtually no one is excited or surprised by quad-core processors being standard in the 15 and 17" MacBook Pros, considering it marks a first for quad-cores in an Apple laptop.

• Reply 115 of 180
    I for one am getting a pimped out 15", come on, a quad core in a laptop is pretty sweet.

This will run rings around my 2006 iMac.

The only thing is that a 256GB SSD is a 500€ option, a bit much if you ask me. Will probably get a 7200 RPM Harddrive and upgrade to an SSD when they become a bit more affordable.
  • Reply 116 of 180
    WOW, what a joke -- STILL NO BLU-RAY options!!!
  • Reply 117 of 180
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TenoBell View Post

Sounds like it hasn't changed. Today uploading a digital file that can be accessed through a secure password is far easier and faster than dealing with a DVD.

There are people who would still prefer receiving broadcast work for review on a DVD, as it's completely foolproof. No hunting for FTP log-ins, no usernames or passwords required, no codec issues, no stuttering playback from an underpowered computer, no room for connectivity issues or slow loadtimes, and no broken links. And when you're sending lots of spots or long-format videos, using DVD makes even greater sense.
  • Reply 118 of 180
    DVD is fool proof? You've never burned a DVD and for some reason it played in some DVD players and does not play in others? DVD has become an entrenched way of doing things and industries are slow to adapt to new ways of doing things.

You far over play the problems with streaming media. If it was as much of a problem as you describe we would not have iTunes, Netflix, and YouTube.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Cory Bauer View Post

There are people who would still prefer receiving broadcast work for review on a DVD, as it's completely foolproof. No hunting for FTP log-ins, no usernames or passwords required, no codec issues, no stuttering playback from an underpowered computer, no room for connectivity issues or slow loadtimes, and no broken links. And when you're sending lots of spots or long-format videos, using DVD makes even greater sense.

• Reply 119 of 180
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:

That didn't stop Apple from offering just one variant it with the iPad.

Besides, one Gobi chipset covers 9 cellular data variants, another covers 11. If you can't find a good carrier that offers one of those, then you're probably screwed anyway.

Well when they do offer built-in cell data it will most likely come with GPS as well which I think is cool for using map searching. Maybe eliminating the ODD could offset the cost of the added radios.
  • Reply 120 of 180
    Quote:

Sorry, it was a parody / joke that apparently didn't work.

Oh, got it. Just bought the new machine, sense of humor must have flown out the door with the 2500 bucks!