Apple's introduces 15-, 17-in. MacBook Pros with quad-core i7 CPUs, AMD GPUs

Comments

• Reply 121 of 180
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mstone View Post

Well when they do offer built-in cell data it will most likely come with GPS as well which I think is cool for using map searching. Maybe eliminating the ODD could offset the cost of the added radios.

It's a good thing to have. I've really appreciated having GPS in devices. It also happens to be built into the chips I was referencing, Gobi 1000 includes basic GPS, Gobi 2000 includes that and A-GPS
  • Reply 122 of 180
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pmz View Post

Nope, none of these are remotely good reasons....considering something called f****** USB has existed for some time now.

What part of 'portable' don't you understand?

It comes down to numbers. If a significant number of people are using the optical drive on their MBP, then dropping it in favor of an external) which would require you to carry the drive, power supply, and cable when you travel) would be foolish.

If, OTOH, the number who use it is tiny, then having it as an external makes sense.

Apple's smart enough to have figured that out (apparently unlike some of the people posting here). Note that the iPad requires an adapter to use USB - apparently, Apple's research indicated that few people would attach a USB device to the iPad. Similarly, the fact that Apple continues to offer an optical drive in the MBP indicates that their research shows that a large number of people still use it.

Do you really think that Apple's too stupid to realize that they could save some money as well as reduce the weight and battery consumption if they dropped the optical drive? Are you the only one who's smart enough to realize that it's possible to drop the optical drive?

It really amazes me how many of these anonymous trolls think they know so much more than Apple about the computer market.
  • Reply 123 of 180
    welshdogwelshdog Posts: 1,897member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TenoBell View Post

I remember in 2002 I had friends who worked at a post facility. They were making internal and preview work on 3/4 inch U-matic tape for ad agencies. 3/4 inch is a tape format from the 70's. The reason it was still used is because it was cheap and everyone had decks.

The post house was trying to push its clients to adopt DVD. Which was faster and easier to create and send out than U-matic tapes.

Sounds like it hasn't changed. Today uploading a digital file that can be accessed through a secure password is far easier and faster than dealing with a DVD.

Oh we do both. Our uploads to PostSpots and other services number in the thousands each year. But the agencies still like DVDs for a variety of reasons.
  • Reply 124 of 180
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post

Strange that AI hasn't specifically mentioned the (expensive) $150 BTO option on the 15 inch version for a non-glossy screen. A much discussed issue, yet ignored. $50 on the 17 inch version, which is the same as with the previous version, as I recall.

I was going to mention this, any insight into apple's reasoning?
  • Reply 125 of 180
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

Yep, real sad Apple come out with the best imaginable and most advanced LapTop on Earth. Must be really worth joining a forum to complain about.

I joined in the hype of all the MBP stuff... not to complain. I love macs! Just thought I would be upgrading, and it doesn't seem like enough to upgrade for $2700+AU, from my current MBP...
  • Reply 126 of 180
    Quote:

DVD is fool proof? You've never burned a DVD and for some reason it played in some DVD players and does not play in others?

You're right, I did have that happen one time. One time out of hundreds if not thousands of DVDs burned.

Quote:

DVD has become an entrenched way of doing things and industries are slow to adapt to new ways of doing things.

You far over play the problems with streaming media. If it was as much of a problem as you describe we would not have iTunes, Netflix, and YouTube.

Video streaming from iTunes, Netflix and YouTube has absolutely nothing to do with sharing broadcast work with clients or colleagues via FTP or other password-protected method.
  • Reply 127 of 180
    mjimji Posts: 25member
    Has the option to add a higher resolution 15" display always existed, or is that new with this revision? I was hoping for a full 1080p, but 1680x1050 might be worth the $100 upgrade...
  • Reply 128 of 180
    So, the CPU are upgraded, but the gpu is intels POS for the bottom of hte range.

They introduce a massively quick connection technology while sticking with 5400rpm drives

They keep the name Pro(fessional) and offer screens of lower resolution than their macbook air family.

My two month old Macbook rates as a 10hr life, but these are all 7hr estimated life

Guess I wait until they do a complete overhaul of the Pros before i get one, as I dont see the point at the moment.
  • Reply 129 of 180
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by WitsEndFL View Post

I agree! Disappointed here too. I was really hoping for a SSD boot / HDD for data combination to replace the largely unused / unnecessary SuperDrive.

I knew that the "light peak / thunderbolt" port was coming and supposedly there will be adapters that will allow for connection from thunderbolt to other peripherals including USB, but I was really hoping that the remaining USB ports would be upgraded to 3.0 at least. Last thing I want to carry around is some type of "Lightpeak to USB dongle" in order to connect a USB 3.0 drive at max speed.

Also disappointed that they are still offering 5400 rpm drives as the "standard" option. These are premium notebooks, and they are being crippled with slow / cheap drives. For the money the MBP costs and the minor difference in price between 5400 and 7200 rpm drives, the 7200's should be the new standard on these (at least on the 15 and the 17 models).

I was thinking I would be upgrading this month, but I may consider waiting for the next one now, I am not sure there is enough of a step forward with this update to justify the $$$.

\

Yes, once again, Apple has failed to meet the promises made by rumor sites looking for click traffic. I mean, Apple does all the work, and rumor sites just make shit up. Apple should be ashamed of itself.
  • Reply 130 of 180
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Eriamjh View Post

The battery life just took a 1-2 hour hit. It now says 7 hours instead of 8-9.

I'm really considering a refurb of the previous model. The savings is huge! Anything will rock compared to my 1.83 CD MBP!

Do you recall what His Steveness said about the Apple battery life test at his keynote for launching the Macbook Air?

They'd developed a new formula, he said, that more accurately reflected actual use as opposed to something devised by marketing. The MBA was promised to be "seven hours", and much better than those MBPs that were rated to ten hours at the time.

And indeed it was. The 13 inch MBA absolutely smoked even the best MBP in battery life test.

Now those new criteria are applied to the MBP. Seven hours effectively represents an improvement in claimed real world performance on the old MBP. And we'll know for sure once the likes of ars technica and Anandtech compare it with the MBA and the old MBP.
  • Reply 131 of 180
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cycomiko View Post

So, the CPU are upgraded, but the gpu is intels POS for the bottom of hte range.

They introduce a massively quick connection technology while sticking with 5400rpm drives

They keep the name Pro(fessional) and offer screens of lower resolution than their macbook air family.

My two month old Macbook rates as a 10hr life, but these are all 7hr estimated life

Guess I wait until they do a complete overhaul of the Pros before i get one, as I dont see the point at the moment.

10hours on the previous test, which was a joke. These are seven hours on the MBA test, which actually means something. See my comment above. This actually looks promising to me.
  • Reply 132 of 180
    sudzsudz Posts: 10member
    A few bumps here and there, nothing too much otherwise.

I was hoping on the physical side that it would have a slight redesign, not for aesthetic reason since it is a nice package.....but to get a better hinge mechanism seeing a lot of Macbook Pro buyers have complained about them last year. Now for all I know perhaps Apple has decided to upgrade the hinge to something more robust, the current one in their laptops seem to loosen up quite substantially and with very little usage. Quite disappointing seeing the premium that Apple charges.

With the 2010 Macbook Pro that is all I really had to complain about, the choice of using a flimsy hinge for the display.

Someone liberated (stole) my 2010 Macbook Pro from me a couple of weeks ago, and as I generally love Apple products for their synergy between hardware and software I'm definately picking up another one. I do wish the hinge was upgraded however, but something I may have to overlook seeing my other option is to wait out a year which is unrealistic or go back to windows which will never happen again in my lifetime...lol.
  • Reply 133 of 180
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Sudz View Post

I was hoping on the physical side that it would have a slight redesign, not for aesthetic reason since it is a nice package.....but to get a better hinge mechanism seeing a lot of Macbook Pro buyers have complained about them last year. Now for all I know perhaps Apple has decided to upgrade the hinge to something more robust, the current one in their laptops seem to loosen up quite substantially and with very little usage. Quite disappointing seeing the premium that Apple charges.

I think it's quite possible to improve the hinge without changing the external look of the machine.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by rbonner View Post

Oh, got it. Just bought the new machine, sense of humor must have flown out the door with the 2500 bucks!

Congratulations! It's should shake out to be a nifty machine. I'd get one, but what I have seems to serve my needs pretty well.

At the very worst, you might be able to install an Optibay to replace the optical with another hard drive, probably not optimal for you, but it is an option. It seems like Apple does a makeover every three or four years, and I don't think the Unibody style is near that yet.
  • Reply 134 of 180
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by photoeditor View Post

10hours on the previous test, which was a joke. These are seven hours on the MBA test, which actually means something. See my comment above. This actually looks promising to me.

the proof will be in the pudding
  • Reply 135 of 180
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post

Strange that AI hasn't specifically mentioned the (expensive) $150 BTO option on the 15 inch version for a non-glossy screen. A much discussed issue, yet ignored. $50 on the 17 inch version, which is the same as with the previous version, as I recall.

I would call that "market research" in real time.

As I recall, there was a lot of angry words when Apple dropped the antiglare screens off of the MBP line-up, only to reinstate the option for the 17". Seems like Apple is saying "you can have it, but it will cost you."
  • Reply 136 of 180
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    The Geekbenches for these machines are sick! - around 10,000
  • Reply 137 of 180
    gary54gary54 Posts: 169member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by zeph View Post

Thunderbolt can handle only up to 6 devices???

there are none for sale by anyone yet, 6 is a lot.

So much for the 16 gb ssd boot dive Aren't rumors a wonderful distraction leading nowhere?
  • Reply 138 of 180
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rokrad View Post

Wow I'm surprised no one is saying much about the 6750M at 1GB! This is a major leap in GPU power... I was originally just planning on the entry level 15" MBP but when I saw the GPU on the higher end.... haha going to have to save a bit more money :P... Can't wait to game on the windows partition I'll probably make and also excited for the mac side as well...

I am very happy about that!
  • Reply 139 of 180
    haggarhaggar Posts: 1,568member
    Why is Apple skimping on RAM speed and graphics memory?

The $1799, 15 inch Macbook Pro only has 256 MB of graphics memory.

The system RAM in all the MacBook Pros is DDR3-1333 even though DDR3-1600 laptop memory is available.

For what are supposed to be premium laptops, is this sort of cost cutting really worth it?
  • Reply 140 of 180
    zephzeph Posts: 133member
    Wow, first Geekbenches in. Faster than all but the most powerful 8/12-core MacPros.

http://www.9to5mac.com/53810/new-mac...ntelligence%29