Next Final Cut Pro privately demoed by Apple, deemed 'a jaw-dropper'

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
Apple recently showed off the next version of Final Cut Pro to a select group of power users, and one person who saw the forthcoming update has called it "a jaw-dropper."

Last week, Apple invited a small number of people including producer, director and editor Larry Jordan. Jordan is the head of Larry Jordan & Associates, Inc., which trains professionals and students with an emphasis on Apple's Final Cut Studio.

Jordan wrote about the experience on his blog, but declined to provide any details, citing a non-disclosure agreement with Apple. However, he said he could acknowledge that the meeting happened, and that the new Final Cut Pro was demonstrated.

Without getting into specifics, he said that it would be a "great year" for users of the Final Cut Pro software suite, suggesting that Apple could release it in the near future.

"While the invited crowd was small, it was a Who's Who of leaders in the post-production community," Jordan wrote. "I felt like I was standing on the red carpet at an awards show, watching all the stars walk past."

Rumors of the elite group of users who saw the new Final Cut Pro surfaced earlier this week in a report that suggested the new version would be in 64 bits. It also said the release will include "low level architectural changes" as well as a "complete redesign of the user interface."

The enthusiastic comments from a professional user may calm some who were concerned last year after AppleInsider first reported that Apple was, at the time, scaling Final Cut Studio to fit the "prosumer" market rather than high-end professionals. But Apple responded and issued an official statement in which it claimed the "next version of Final Cut Pro will be awesome and [Apple's] pro customers are going to love it."

Earlier this year, a rumor claimed that Apple plans to release Final Cut Pro in March or April of 2011. That report said the update would be "substantial," but would not bring many features expected by high-end users.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 77
    nerudaneruda Posts: 439member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Rumors of the elite group of users who saw the new Final Cut Pro surfaced earlier this week in a report that suggested the new version would be in 64 bits. It also said the release will include "low level architectural changes" as well as a "complete redesign of the user interface."

Grand Central Dispatch (multithreaded Compressor alone would save tons of time, same for Color rendering).

OpenCL

64 bits

Nice and about time.
  • Reply 2 of 77
    Right on the heels of LightPeak.. I mean Thunderbolt. And a new jawdropping Final Cut coming out soon. Very exciting time for the video and post-production community.
  • Reply 3 of 77
    bageljoeybageljoey Posts: 2,004member
    I don't need it, but I feel happy for power users who have felt neglected by all the consumery stuff getting all the Apple love...
  • Reply 4 of 77
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    This sounds very exciting!
  • Reply 5 of 77
    I'm probably going to buy the new standard 13" MBP, are these specs good enough for the next FCP?
  • Reply 6 of 77
    frank777frank777 Posts: 5,839member
    Thunderbolt announcement in February means peripherals by April. And what happens in April?
  • Reply 7 of 77
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Wurm5150 View Post

Right on the heels of LightPeak.. I mean Thunderbolt. And a new jawdropping Final Cut coming out soon. Very exciting time for the video and post-production community.

Now, if only Apple were to come out with software to blow away Photoshop !!
  • Reply 8 of 77
    Hubbada hubbada hubbada.
  • Reply 9 of 77
    Quote:

But Apple responded and issued an official statement in which it claimed the "next version of Final Cut Pro will be awesome and [Apple's] pro customers are going to love it."

That's like what SJ says about everything. Lame.
  • Reply 10 of 77
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sprockkets View Post

That's like what SJ says about everything. Lame.

Rubbish. He does overhype stuff, but barely to that extent.

1) The iPhone was indeed a jaw-dropper, and was indeed revolutionary. You just need to compare the mobile industry from Feb 2007 to Feb 2011, and see the complete change in the industry (no more Palm...Motorola is struggling...Nokia is not making any more SW, etc..)

2) The iPad was revolutionary. You just need to see what every other computer maker is doing to see how true that is.

3) The App Store is revolutionary. Every platform is trying to build an app store now.

4) The Macbook Air was a jaw-dropper.

5) The only thing lately that wasn't was the Apple TV, which has been constantly referred to as a "hobby" by Jobs.
  • Reply 11 of 77
    If Apple was smart, And I think they are, they would know that their Pro customers are not the same as "prosumer" customers. They should be pushing this on the NAB crowd, Hollywood filmmakers and TV production companies. They can always ship a "lite" version for "prosumers" (Final Cut Express). I draw the line at 4:2:2. If your workflow is 4:2:2 or 4:4:4, you are Pro. If you are 4:2:0 and you know what that means, you are "prosumer". If none of the above makes sense, you are "consumer" and should stick to iMovie.
  • Reply 12 of 77
    Apple TV is a Jaw dropper if anyone has time to watch TV anymore. The man is right. Music yes, Movies no.
  • Reply 13 of 77
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by addicted44 View Post

Rubbish. He does overhype stuff, but barely to that extent.

1) The iPhone was indeed a jaw-dropper, and was indeed revolutionary. You just need to compare the mobile industry from Feb 2007 to Feb 2011, and see the complete change in the industry (no more Palm...Motorola is struggling...Nokia is not making any more SW, etc..)

2) The iPad was revolutionary. You just need to see what every other computer maker is doing to see how true that is.

3) The App Store is revolutionary. Every platform is trying to build an app store now.

4) The Macbook Air was a jaw-dropper.

5) The only thing lately that wasn't was the Apple TV, which has been constantly referred to as a "hobby" by Jobs.

Dude, its exactly the same line he says before every product release, including the lame ipod nano. Think different... come up with something new to say.
  • Reply 14 of 77
    "Think different... come up with something new to say."

While this is a clever statement, seriously --how many synonyms are there for "jaw dropping"?

Do you expect Steve Jobs to just come out and say "Here is our line up of just your average, run of the mill products"? And honestly, "jaw dropping" has worked, over and over again. Did you forget where Apple was fifteen years ago?
  • Reply 15 of 77
    That would be good for it to be a 'jaw-dropper.' The last revision, like CS5, was relatively worthless, yet cost us hundreds of dollars.
  • Reply 16 of 77
    I dropped my jaw once, then I couldn't find it again. I have an ad in CraigsList... but no luck so far.
  • Reply 17 of 77
    eckingecking Posts: 1,588member
    A new and better FCP will make me so damn happy...
  • Reply 18 of 77
    Friends of mine who live in Asia told me that due to shortages of cardboard for the boxed version, the FCP release will be delayed by about 6 months.
  • Reply 19 of 77
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,322moderator
    If the people who use this on a day-to-day basis for very high-end work are happy with it then that speaks volumes but there's not a whole lot you can do to Final Cut to make it something amazing unless they integrate compositing features and I suspect they won't.

A UI overhaul, codec support, better real-time playback, more intuitive behaviour and errors, better HD authoring, faster compression/ better threading and more are all long overdue and in no way mind-blowing (hey I got a synonym for jaw-dropping). Just a decent update after so long might be clouding the judgement of people who use the software daily.

On the subject of the limitations of superlatives, they can maybe add dates to them so they can say jaw-dropping in 2010 terms or mind-blowing as far as 2011 is concerned. That way next year, it doesn't sound like they've just hit the same quality bar as last year.

They're definitely stretching it thin with 'This changes everything... again' because what comes after that? 'This changes everything for the 3rd time'? Nah, they'll have to use something different. I reckon if they go with liquid metal, it will be something about it being timeless and then they can do the whole 'now even faster, thinner etc' from then on.
  • Reply 20 of 77
    bwikbwik Posts: 565member
    Most incredible is a new, intelligent computerized assistant, called "Clippy." Clippy knows what you are doing, and helpfully asks questions.