Apple designer Jony Ive rumored to be considering move back to UK

Comments

• Reply 21 of 146
    Who couldn't retire on 30 million. We may want him to stay but I'm sure there's a lot more to life than working at Apple. Maybe he's just plain burnt out; it has to be a super stressful position
  • Reply 22 of 146
    boogabooga Posts: 1,082member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by stokessd View Post

I'm a US citizen and I've been spending two weeks a year in the UK for the last few years. I'd move there in a heartbeat if I could find a reasonable job there (I'm a PhD type). Given his design aesthetic, and our walmart culture here in the USA, that doesn't surprise me a bit.

Sheldon

Apply to Google's London office. They hire lots of PhD types.
  • Reply 23 of 146
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DougDolde View Post

Who couldn't retire on 30 million. We may want him to stay but I'm sure there's a lot more to life than working at Apple. Maybe he's just plain burnt out; it has to be a super stressful position

His estimated net worth is close to $130M, but I doubt he'd retire. I can easily see him starting his own design consultancy and am sure he would be quite in-demand.
  • Reply 24 of 146
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,600member
    I can say from my own experience that you can't do this remotely. As much of his work is esthetic, remote viewing just doesn't do it. You have to be there, hold it, feel it, and see it without electronic imaging in the way.

I don't know just how he does his work, but there are CAD designs, physical models, even cardboard mock-ups.

You are at a big disadvantage if all this has to be aired across the Atlantic. Being in the same room as the others in your group is about as important as the rest.

But this is just another rumor so far, though it will likely mess up the stock comeback it began late last week if people take it seriously.
  • Reply 25 of 146
    stuffestuffe Posts: 394member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mode View Post

What does it say about the American educational system (even private) - when one of the most brilliant industrial designers of our time wants to leave so his kids can have a decent education?

When all the intellectuals and great minds start leaving the country... watch out.

I don't know a lot about the US education system, but perhaps he wants his Kids to have the same he had, irrespective of it's merits? Also, for him to leave you guys, he had to leave us guys first...
  • Reply 26 of 146
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Paul94544 View Post

Everything in the natural world obeys this law

Birth

rising

shining

decay

death

Apple is beginning it decay stage

Wow. Everything 'shines' at some point!?

I've still got hope.......
  • Reply 27 of 146
    I've always wondered how far his designs go. Meaning, do they tell him they can make the Macbook Air guts "this thin" and then he goes from there? I'm sure he knows tons about materials and tolerances and all that, I'm just curious about the details of the design process. Like a chicken and egg thing...

I agree he's unlikely to retire. But I can easily see being homesick for the UK especially with regard to educating kids. I also agree with the notion that FaceTime and other technologies are no substitute for being there. Interesting development.
  • Reply 28 of 146
    realisticrealistic Posts: 1,154member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by charlituna View Post

Apple talks a lot of talk about security etc, telling every other company how great it is. Wouldn't look good for them to show a lack of faith

Plus once they got to the prototype stages, who says they would ship them to Ive rather than him coming back for a few weeks

Show me any evidence of Apple talking about internal security with other companies? Apple doesn't talk about security, Apple lives it.

All your remark "Plus once they got to the prototype stages, who says they would ship them to Ive rather than him coming back for a few weeks" proves is that you have absolutely no understanding of what is involved in product design.
  • Reply 29 of 146
    musomuso Posts: 30member
    I suppose he could hop a private jet back to Cupertino for a week out of every month to get the hands-on... I doubt he needs to be onsite every day.

And I doubt it's the lack of quality education available, it's just the lack of an English education. There are outstanding private schools here in the US if you have the means, they are just not English.
  • Reply 30 of 146
    aplnubaplnub Posts: 2,605member
    Quote:

What does it say about the American educational system (even private) - when one of the most brilliant industrial designers of our time wants to leave so his kids can have a decent education?

When all the intellectuals and great minds start leaving the country... watch out.

Not much. He may just want them to get back in his own culture.

Btw, anyone think Ive looked 56??????
  • Reply 31 of 146
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SDIOWarrior View Post

Maybe he is out of ideas. So much perfection can only be obtained once.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by DougDolde View Post

Sometimes, people do a lot for their children. There is a Japanese pianist named Mari Kadama. She's very talented. When she was a child, she went to all the best music schools in Japan for her playing. At a point in time, her parents were told that there was nothing more that could be done for her in Japan, and that in order for her talent to be fully expressed, they should move to France and go to the conservatory there.

They did. She's a top performer all over the world, and I have five of her recordings so far.

Her parents gave up their lives in Japan and moved halfway across the world so that their child could get the best training. Why wouldn't Ives and his wife be willing to move back to the UK, from where he came, speaking the same language, and pretty much the same culture, to give his kids what he thinks is an immersion in their own culture?

It's certainly possible.
  • Reply 32 of 146
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by stuffe View Post

I don't know a lot about the US education system, but perhaps he wants his Kids to have the same he had, irrespective of it's merits? Also, for him to leave you guys, he had to leave us guys first...

He probably wants his kids to receive an education that emphasizes their British roots rather than one which focuses on American history. Add to that the fact that many other countries are not nearly as myopic in their world views and see things from a vastly different perspective than Americans.
  • Reply 33 of 146
    nkalunkalu Posts: 315member
    Quote:

Birth

rising

shining

decay

death

Wow! This is only a rumor. You are already too quick in declaring decay. Why don't you just declare Apple dead and proceed to write the eulogy.
  • Reply 34 of 146
    Quote:

Birth

rising

shining

decay

death

It is easy to be bold and be a loud mouth. But, would you place your money to show you really believe your own predictions?

If your prediction comes true by next year, then I give you a Tablet. If your prediction does not come true, I get the iPad version of 2012. To ensure that we honor such a bet, we will use Apple Insider to hold the money involved, in escrow.

CGC

Criteria of Decline

Thus, if Apple is beginning its decay stage, its stock price (market capitalization relative to other companies right now would be the first one that plummets. That is, its relative stock price should "decline" for example relative to its stock price ratio wrt to Microsoft, Google. IBM, HP, Nokia, RIM and other related tech companies.

This relative market capitalization decline would normalize any impact of stock plunges due to stock market crash or other catastrophic event.

Another caveat, that could drastically impact the stock price of Apple would be the "status" of Steve Jobs. By next year, Steve must still be part of Apple.
  • Reply 35 of 146
    realisticrealistic Posts: 1,154member
    Quote:

Chill out! This an AI article and is strictly all hearsay and rumor and besides a quantity of ONE doesn't necessarily say or mean anything.
  • Reply 36 of 146
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

The whole story seems a little weird.

I agree. Sounds like someone missed the boat buying AAPL before the iPad2 announcement and is hoping for a cheapie monday morn price.
  • Reply 37 of 146
    I work for a large tech company [not quite as large as Apple ] and we use this thing called the interweb to collaborate, quite successfully. We use jets too. It works quite well.

It worries me that Apple's board would say "You are too valuable to us. We cant live without you So If you insist on telecommuting we will have to fire you."

Seems like it could possibly be faulty logic.
  • Reply 38 of 146
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by penchanted View Post

He probably wants his kids to receive an education that emphasizes their British roots rather than one which focuses on American history. Add to that the fact that many other countries are not nearly as myopic in their world views and see things from a vastly different perspective than Americans.

The view that only Americans are myopic and every other country (e.g., European countries) have a more balanced perspective of the world is in itself as myopic a view.

Coming from another country myself and having lived in the US for quite awhile now, I understand how many Americans can be.

Majority of Americans have never been abroad and depend so much on the mass media (mainly television) in their view of the world. But, the same can be said of most other peoples of the world.

I was surprised for example, during the Flickr censorship debate, a few years back, how many internet savvy Europeans have very distored view of the United States and Americans.

CGC
  • Reply 39 of 146
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iGuessSo View Post

I work for a large tech company [not quite as large as Apple ] and we use this thing called the interweb to collaborate, quite successfully. We use jets too. It works quite well.

It worries me that Apple's board would say "You are too valuable to us. We cant live without you So If you insist on telecommuting we will have to fire you."

Seems like it could possibly be faulty logic.

It doesn't work like that. Business collaboration works well enough that way. But design is more difficult to do apart.
  • Reply 40 of 146
    welshdogwelshdog Posts: 1,907member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SDIOWarrior View Post

Maybe he is out of ideas. So much perfection can only be obtained once.

Or he has run out of things to copy from Dieter Rams.