Apple announces iPad 2 with new design, faster A5 processor

Comments

• Reply 261 of 417
    cmf2cmf2 Posts: 1,427member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by EMoeller View Post

There is NO GPS in the wi-fi and only cell tower approximation GPS in the cellular versions. If you have limited cell coverage (or no coverage) you have no GPS at all (that means no map routing, geocoding photos, etc.). Even with cell tower approximation the GPS is not nearly as accurate as a dedicated GPS chip.

My only disappointment with the iPad is the lack of dedicated GPS - and for me as a geologist it is a purchase killer.

FYI the FAA just this week granted limited approval of iPad use for aeronautic charts. GPS would be really useful for ANY mapping applications.

Stop lying. The GPS works without cell coverage. I own an iPhone and I've driven in areas with no cell coverage and guess what? The GPS kept working. The 3G iPad uses the same chip.
  • Reply 262 of 417
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kotatsu View Post

No, if you remove your fanboy blinkers you'll see this is actually a spec bump and little else.

Going from a single core A4 to dual core A5 in a completely redesigned outer shell and with 9x better graphics performance is a "spec bump"? Really?

Quote:

It still has no USB, HDMI, or SD ports (hard to believe Apple are still pushing ridiculous adapter cables).

With AirPlay, AirPrint, iDisk, Drop Box, etc, why do I need all those ports again?

Quote:

It still has a comically large bezel around the screen.

That allows you to grip the device without blocking the screen and without unintentionally interacting with it. Don't those two available Android tablets (Galaxy Tab and Xoom) have large bezels? Are they comical too?

Quote:

The screen is still the same ultra-low DPI as the original iPad.

Does anybody even make a significantly higher resolution 10" screen? Didn't Apple buy up the majority of the screens that are even available?

Quote:

And crucially no new OS, and iOS as it stands now is a generation behind Honeycomb.

How do the generations of iOS and Android coorelate? Didn't Honeycomb just come out and yet iOS 4.X has been out several months? And isn't iOS more stable and reliable than Android? how is Honeycomb in any way ahead of iOS?

Quote:

This was a very small update indeed, and clearly a stop gap until a retina display equipped quad core iPad 3 arrives.

What are the companies that mfg displays? Samsung? Wintek? Toshiba? Who else? Which of them makes or is even close to making a 10" "Retina" display?

Just had to ask!
  • Reply 263 of 417
    djmikeodjmikeo Posts: 180member
    I just ordered a 32g, 3g refurbished iPad for $559.00 from the Apple store. This is $170.00 below the price of a new unit. I was hoping for a little more improvements with the iPad2, so by buying a discontinued refurbished model, I'll feel much better if a iPad3 comes out before years end. I have an iPhone4 so I don't really need a camera.

This is a 23% savings for a refurbished unit that has a 1 year warranty.

(note: the new same spec'd clearance model is $70 higher, $629)
  • Reply 264 of 417
    icibaquicibaqu Posts: 278member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Cpsro View Post

That's a cute video for the smart cover.

But what are we supposed to do with it when holding the iPad during use?

I think the deal is you can magnetize it to the back.
  • Reply 265 of 417
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 20,403member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

Wow... that's one of the most stupid statements I've ever seen on AI.

I'll let you figure it out.

No one bothers to figure out kotatsu. He pops in every once in a while, trolls, gets bored and then leaves, pops back in again......
  • Reply 266 of 417
    foljsfoljs Posts: 390member
    Quote:

No, if you remove your fanboy blinkers you'll see this is actually a spec bump and little else.

Let's see.

Quote:

It still has no USB, HDMI, or SD ports (hard to believe Apple are still pushing ridiculous adapter cables).

Why should it have all those? I don't need any, why should I pay more to have them built in?

Go buy a $300 more expensive tablet from some Apple competitor to have them built in if you need them.

Quote:

Yes, the exact comically large bezel deemed necessary in order to, you know, hold it comfortably, instead of touching the screen.

Quote:

132 is ultra-low DPI? LOL...

Quote:

And crucially no new OS, and iOS as it stands now is a generation behind Honeycomb.

Only in the version dates.

In actual quality and capabilities it is better. Honeycomb is a committee built crap, based on check-marking a feature list, with no actual attention to detail.

Quote:

This was a very small update indeed

Yes, a new, DUAL CORE CPU, new GPU, new, gyroscope, 2 new cameras and a new, thinner and lighter case are a "very small update".

The problem is that Apple has you spoiled. People used to get excited when Apple added, say, video capability to a new iPod model. Now, you get a ton of new features and this is the reaction you get...

Hey, idiot, this was the 2004 ipod: http://techblog.willshouse.com/2011/...-ipod-of-2004/

And what the competitors were offering was WORSE. Dell Ditty, anyone? Creative Zen?

The modern smartphone with full touch screen OS and native apps? Apple had to make it.

The modern tablet device with full touch screen OS and native apps? Apple had to make it too.

Both categories were niche markets, with lackluster products that we'd laugh on them now. Apple created them as we now them today.

And people are complaining? Go get a sense of perspective...
  • Reply 267 of 417
    jenniebjennieb Posts: 3member
    My only complaint is still the fact that apple refuses to include useful ports. All I'm asking for is a USB connection without having to carry around an apple adapter cord. I'm a teacher - I need to be able to toss the iPad in my bag with the ability to add files directly on the go without fumbling with a bag of cords.
  • Reply 268 of 417
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anotherperson View Post

If the ipad2 ships on the 11th, when can we place an order for the iPad2?

You can place an order online or buy in-store on the 11th.

I'd be willing to bet anything the initial supply will sell out very quickly.
  • Reply 269 of 417
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bergermeister View Post

This thing will be a hot seller.

We are definitely upgrading our two iPad 1s.

Teachers, docs, business people... many other occupations... this will do wonders.

It is most certainly not a toy.

Actually, it's a toy when you need it to be a toy.
  • Reply 270 of 417
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dimitrir View Post

Very disappointing - not nearly as good as Motorola Xoom.

It looks like 2011 will be a year of Android tablets after all.

Where are all of the Xoom sales, then? Oh, that's right... they're negligible.
  • Reply 271 of 417
    This guy has some good points, especially in the comments under his article...

http://www.businessinsider.com/no-ap...ouchpad-2011-3
  • Reply 272 of 417
    tenobelltenobell Posts: 7,014member
    Quote:

Apple was able to sell 15 million iPads last year without USB, HDMI, or SD ports built in. What evidence do you have that these features are that important?

Quote:

Just like the other tablets.

Quote:

Every other tablet is using either the same or similar resolution.

Quote:

For the past four years Apple has upgraded the OS during the summer. Why would you expect that to change right now?

Your reference to iOS being behind Android makes no sense. How exactly do you compare one OS to another in that way?

Quote:

This was a very small update indeed, and clearly a stop gap until a retina display equipped quad core iPad 3 arrives.

The CPU/GPU upgrades are far more important than a higher resolution screen.

Where are you getting these specs from? How do you expect Apple to get a quad core ARM processor and retina display that no one is producing?
  • Reply 273 of 417
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jennieb View Post

My only complaint is still the fact that apple refuses to include useful ports. All I'm asking for is a USB connection without having to carry around an apple adapter cord. I'm a teacher - I need to be able to toss the iPad in my bag with the ability to add files directly on the go without fumbling with a bag of cords.

Even tablets with "USB ports" usually use micro USB. You still need an adapter if you want to plug a device with a full sized USB port in, but for some reason people are more comfortable with that because it includes USB in the name.
  • Reply 274 of 417
    Quote:

What other device do you want to connect your iPad to? The dock connector cable lets you connect to your computer.

The camera connection kit has 2 small adapters that let you connect a camera or plug in a SD Card.

Either way there is only one cable involved and it's the one that came with the iPad. More info is needed if your situation is different than what I have guessed.
  • Reply 275 of 417
    prof. peabodyprof. peabody Posts: 2,860member
    Quote:

All our teachers use the easier and much more reliable method of having the students email their papers to the teacher. Flash drives are often in the wrong format and it's always been a bad idea to encourage people to use a flash drive for any kind of vital storage anyway.
  • Reply 276 of 417
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cmf2 View Post

Even tablets with "USB ports" usually use micro USB. You still need an adapter if you want to plug a device with a full sized USB port in, but for some reason people are more comfortable with that because it includes USB in the name.

I'm not an idiot, I know what's out there... which is why I didn't say "I wish it had a microUSB port"
  • Reply 277 of 417
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by djmikeo View Post

I just ordered a 32g, 3g refurbished iPad for $559.00 from the Apple store. This is $170.00 below the price of a new unit. I was hoping for a little more improvements with the iPad2, so by buying a discontinued refurbished model, I'll feel much better if a iPad3 comes out before years end. I have an iPhone4 so I don't really need a camera.

This is a 23% savings for a refurbished unit that has a 1 year warranty.

(note: the new same spec'd clearance model is $70 higher, $629)

There won't be a new iPad for a year, and with Apple's 1 to 2 year lead on the so-called "competition" this won't be a problem. The real advantage isn't hardware, it's software. Apple kills all boastful competitors with their software.
  • Reply 278 of 417
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TheWatchfulOne View Post

What other device do you want to connect your iPad to? The dock connector cable lets you connect to your computer.

The camera connection kit has 2 small adapters that let you connect a camera or plug in a SD Card.

Either way there is only one cable involved and it's the one that came with the iPad. More info is needed if your situation is different than what I have guessed.

I want to be able to directly connect a USB flash drive to the iPad itself. Our campus is without WiFi and if I need to be able to upload something from one computer to another then this is the easiest way. If you have a useful suggestion, I am all for it, as I was really hoping to get the new version!!
  • Reply 279 of 417
    Quote:

I'm not an idiot, I know what's out there... which is why I didn't say "I wish it had a microUSB port"

I never called you an idiot, but I have been told half a dozen times today that the Playbook and Xoom are better because they have USB and HDMI built in. The Xoom has Micro USB and HDMI while the PlayBook has Micro USB and Micro HDMI, so a lot of people can't differentiate between the two. As such, I feel the distinction was necessary even if you are well aware of it yourself.
  • Reply 280 of 417
    tenobelltenobell Posts: 7,014member
    Apple has never used microUSB ports. What really is the point you still need an adaptor to use it.

Quote: