Apple announces iPad 2 with new design, faster A5 processor

Comments

• Reply 221 of 417
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

Looks like iPad 2 has caused some serious panic amongst the trolls, fandroids and Apple haters. Kind of fun to sit back and watch them freak out. Boys, haven't you learned that recycling your criticisms of the original iPad isn't going to work any better the second time around.

BTW, no one has mentioned no Blu-ray drive yet. You guys might want to jump on that one.

I am a visual person and I can't help imagining these trolls with permanently limp wrists from constantly faux-yawning and feigning ennui. However do these divine souls satisfy their true hungers?
  • Reply 222 of 417
    diegogdiegog Posts: 135member
    I have a mount for my car. I was a little worried about the quality but it rocks.. I've had in for a few weeks now.

Proclips.com They have setups for every model car....

Quote:
    Originally Posted by smartcovers View Post

Agreed - I'd love to dash mount an iPad 2 for GPS primarily, but media center as well. Guess we'll have to wait one more time!

The Smart Cover is awesome though - I'm really digging them, trying to get all the info I can about them. I wonder how long it will be until a third party tries to copy...

• Reply 223 of 417
    rabbit_coachrabbit_coach Posts: 1,114member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

I've been saying this for a while... Apple will have to refresh more often to keep up with Android tablets and phones (yes, I know, "what Android tablets?!").

When competing with so many companies it seems inevitable that new features will be introduced throughout the entire year in the Android product line. It will be easy for Apple to look old after 6 months once the Android products start hitting store shelves in earnest.

[Updating the iOS can't, in my opinion, be seen as a refresh.]

You are wrong there. As long as apple produces a superior device every rollout they don't have to fear anything. Even after almost 4 years the iPhone is unbeaten the number 1 amogst the smartphones. There is no real competition. This actually surprises me and makes me worry a little. Apples engeneers must feel a little lonely in the field.There is nothing worthwile to get inspiration out there. Instead all the other companies are copying this and that from apple. How long will this go on like that?
  • Reply 224 of 417
    mytdavemytdave Posts: 447member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by IKnowThat2 View Post

Is this game by apple for apple fanboys so they keep spending money for some smaller updates???

RAM is only 512MB compared to 1GB for Xoom.(This may limit/control future iOS upgrade for sure)

No 4G support (Need new iPad3 for that,spend more money on i*!!!, LOL)

No USB

No Flash(Expected),but really need for pc/tablet experience

No SD Slot

Display resolution inferior to Xoom

No Widgets which are much more usable for tablets.

Extra money for HDMI adapter while is is part of Xoom

Display resolution is still same as iPad1!!

All features like Duel processor, front/rear camera, Gyro, HDMI, USB, Flash support,

Widget support, 1GB RAM,SD Card slot to expand memory,4G support, better resolution display are already part of Xoom.

No wonder it is $79 chceaper then Xoom, add all cost up and Xoom will come out cheaper and better then iPad2($39 just for hdmi adapter, LOL)

Of course you know that...

* Apple has not stated how much RAM is in iPad2. Even if it is 512M, iOS does not need as much RAM, so it doesn't matter anyway.

* There is no 4G for Xoom either. It's a future upgrade, and not known how well it will actually work. Either way, there are no real 4G networks yet. Verizon is just barely rolling out, AT&T by the end of 2011, and the other two have nothing, despite the fact T-Mobile falsely advertises theirs as 4G when it's not. Even with 4G just barely showing up, coverage will be spotty until about 2013.

* USB is built into the dock connector. How do you think it syncs with your computer?

* No Flash on Xoom either. Again, future upgrade, and we already know the attempts at running Flash on mobile devices have been far, far from stellar. Red herring.

* No built-in SD slot on iPad, true, but the SD card kit is available, and it plugs into the dock connector.

* iPad display actually superior to Xoom. The Xoom has a slightly higher resolution than the iPad, but the iPad's display is higher quality, better image, color, contrast, and viewing angles.

* There is no such thing as a distinction between apps & widgets on iOS. iOS has plenty of both, and they're all called apps.

* Xoom may have a separate micro-HDMI port, but you'll still need a micro-to-HDMI cable, which will set you back$30 at retail.

You just can't see the forest through the trees.
  • Reply 225 of 417
    jetzjetz Posts: 1,293member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bigpics View Post

Serious trolling on ComputerWorld - a big IT pro site. They eventually get around to the software and ecosystem - but only after tut-tutting for paras:

Apple failed to move hardware bar with iPad 2, say experts

They're not wrong. The hardware upgrades were entirely predictable. And the big surprise was roll-up covers?
  • Reply 226 of 417
    dimitrirdimitrir Posts: 11member
    Dual core CPU sounds like a marketing gimmick - since, unlike Android, iOS cannot multitask, second core will just sit there idle all the time.
  • Reply 227 of 417
    nasseraenasserae Posts: 3,167member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jetz View Post

They're not wrong. The hardware upgrades were entirely predictable. And the big surprise was roll-up covers?

Predictable doesn't mean insignificant or underwhelming. With the amount of rumors and predictions we've been hearing for the last few months Apple could not surprise anyone.
  • Reply 228 of 417
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dimitrir View Post

Dual core CPU sounds like a marketing gimmick - since, unlike Android, iOS cannot multitask, second core will just sit there idle all the time.

All depends on whether the OS/app is optimized for dual-core. Why would you asssume that dual-core is only useful in multi-tasking is beyond me, i mean, all the dual-core PCs are much faster than single-core ones even when you're only using 1 program.
  • Reply 229 of 417
    rabbit_coachrabbit_coach Posts: 1,114member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by boeyc15 View Post

IMO, he gave a honest thoughtful opinion, you may disagree, and thats fine, say what points you disagree with.

Now if you want to call some one an arse and take to task, take a look at dimitrir's comments.

Well I prett much disagree with any point "Jetz" has stated.And honestly I couldn't find anything intelligible in the comments of "dimitrirs" maybe you can help me out there. The thing is they both compare the iPad with devices wich are in no means a competition to the iPad. Not even the iPad 1. >> Hardly a ecosystem; the OS is still in a mere beta version. And then this laughable insisting on the ability to play Flash content, what as a matter of fact just sucks you battery dry. ....... So give me one reason not to call them trolls.
  • Reply 230 of 417
    mhiklmhikl Posts: 471member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

File under: Gotta' Love 'em

Apple?s iPad 2 Is About to Enter a Crowded Field

http://www.eweek.com/

Article's last line rocks. (You have to read what looks like an Envyboy written article to get a kick. Don't read what follows if you like surprises.)

At least right now, the iPad 2 promises to be the top tablet contender in the market. And not even its predecessor will be able to match it.
  • Reply 231 of 417
    anonymouseanonymouse Posts: 6,948member
    Quote:

Since, unlike knowledgeable people, you don't know what you are talking about, your post will just sit there displaying your ignorance all the time.
  • Reply 232 of 417
    samabsamab Posts: 1,953member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by GotWake View Post

Notice all of the haters stopped talking about the 'great' feature called Flash. Its going to be fun when the Xoom finally gets it batterylife gets slammed. Of course, it could be discontinued first.....

The hardware is way ahead of the software for the ipad2. If the GPU is really 9x faster than the original ipad --- then it has enough horses to decode 1080p. But the ipad2 can only decode 720p.

Both the ipad and ipad2 sport a 25wh battery and dual core CPU is supposed to bring about better battery life --- but the ipad2 has the same battery life as the original ipad. The ipad2 should have a battery life of 12 hours instead of 10 hours --- if there is no support for flash. Hell, if all the talk about flash chopping Mac Air's battery life by a 1/3 --- then with the benefit of dual core and the benefit of "secret Apple battery technology", then Apple should be giving you a battery life of 8 hours (1/3 less than the 12 hour figure) with flash support on the ipad2.
  • Reply 233 of 417
    soopadrivesoopadrive Posts: 182member
    It would appear that the markets shared the same reactions as revealed here today: mixed.

Despite any "short-comings" this launch may have, it is still considered an upgrade from the previous model, though I can't justify the cost of upgrading to iPad 2. To consider this a revision, or an incremented upgrade, of the first generation iPad is entirely inaccurate.
  • Reply 234 of 417
    island hermitisland hermit Posts: 6,217member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rabbit_Coach View Post

You are wrong there. As long as apple produces a superior device every rollout they don't have to fear anything. Even after almost 4 years the iPhone is unbeaten the number 1 amogst the smartphones. There is no real competition. This actually surprises me and makes me worry a little. Appkes engeneers must feel a little lonely in the field.There is nothing worthwile to get inspiration out there. Instead all the other companies are copying this and that from apple. How long will this go on like that?

I can only hope that you are right but you have to remember that Honeycomb is a brand new game and, imo, "if" it hits its stride then we'll have a brand new playing field. From what I've seen, Rubin has learned a few things since Android was first introduced and Honeycomb is a strong step forward... of course, the product manufacturers using Android, for the most part, seemed to have learned nothing... so you may be right.
  • Reply 235 of 417
    nasseraenasserae Posts: 3,167member
    Quote:

Multitasking and concurrent tasks, which is dual core real advantage, are completely different things. iOS, which is based on Mac OS X, uses GCD and can use multi core CPUs as well as GPUs to handle concurrent tasks efficiently. This is why with the iPad 2 you can use Photo Booth to view nine different visual effects at the same time and why you can have eight sound tracks working at the same time. It also helps iMovie as well. Beside, iOS apps can perform operations in the background, such as from uploading a file to compressing video files, as needed.
  • Reply 236 of 417
    nikon133nikon133 Posts: 2,600member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bergermeister View Post

Let's check back at the end of the year.

Always nice to see reasonable response to a flaming post.
  • Reply 237 of 417
    mhiklmhikl Posts: 471member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mode View Post

I'll wait another year I guess. . . . it's nothing revolutionary either.

I don't see any compelling . . . I have a Macbook, MacPro, iPod Touch.

Getting an iPad at this point would just be adding to the landfill . . I don't need.

If anything, I am walking away disappointed that my iPod Touch (2nd gen) is no longer being supported... aly. \

Agree on all accounts. I've the iPt2 and a MacBook. I have used the iPAd enough to know it does less than what I've got. I read and write and search a lot. All is covered by what I have.

But if I didn't write so much, I'd get one. Which boils down to a good excuse to wait another generation. But doesn't the MBA look good. Wonder if it will become a 'tweener bridge between pad and mac. Will it get genuine touch capabilities?
  • Reply 238 of 417
    Sorry. I don't get the negative comments. I've learned that seeing a new Apple product in a photo doesn't compare to actually holding it.

I was extremely impressed with my original iPhone, and then 3Gs and now my iP4.

Same with the 11" MBA. Just a beautiful machine.

Also, the original iPad was great looking. But now I can't wait to get my hands on an iPad2.

I'm going to do to my reports and charts what Apple has done with iMovie and GarageBand and that is redo them all on the iPad 2. Yes, a little laborious to redo them, but once they're formatted in the iPad2, all I have to is add in the next month's numbers and I'm done. I can do it sitting by the lake on the patio of my favorite restaurant! Who wants to work at a desktop in a cubicle all day? Ugh!

Best
  • Reply 239 of 417
    aaronjaaronj Posts: 1,595member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by christopher126 View Post

Sorry. I don't get the negative comments. I've learned that seeing a new Apple product in a photo doesn't compare to actually holding it.

It doesn't do Flash holographic images of Tera Patrick in her prime.

I mean, what's not to get?

• Reply 240 of 417
    bigpicsbigpics Posts: 1,397member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rabbit_Coach View Post

You are wrong there. As long as apple produces a superior device every rollout they don't have to fear anything. Even after almost 4 years the iPhone is unbeaten the number 1 amogst the smartphones. There is no real competition. This actually surprises me and makes me worry a little. Appkes engeneers must feel a little lonely in the field.There is nothing worthwile to get inspiration out there. Instead all the other companies are copying this and that from apple. How long will this go on like that?

Annual or nearly annual does seem to work well enough, if you keep rethinking the device and advance the whole ecosystem every time through as opposed to just revving the latest incremental jump in one or two components.

However, as Jon Gruber's noted on Daring Fireball, this could be the one time they do an interim late summer/early fall refresh, to put the device on schedule to always be fresh for the holiday buying quarter as the iPhone and iPods are.

Maybe LTE?? And/or a unification of the separate GSM/CDMA SKU's to simplify things for both the manufacturer and the users? (Inventory management is a big thing for manufacturers and Apple pays more attention to it than most.)

Or an extension of the iDevice line (Gruber suggested variously a 7" iPod TOUCH, not a 7" iPAD, which would be particularly optimized as a gaming platform if I remember correctly or an iPad Pro with a few more wish list items).

Meanwhile, for all the "this is nuttin' we got Xoom" fans, this is up on MacWorld today:

Android Market spiked with malware-laced apps