Apple announces iPad 2 with new design, faster A5 processor

Comments

• Reply 341 of 417
    docno42docno42 Posts: 3,755member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nikon133 View Post

Not sure about Playbook, but compared to Honeycomb tablets, iPad 2 doesn't really seem to be much different.

Yup, and if they aren't that much different which one are you going to pick? The one that has a mature, vibrant and rich ecosystem, or one that is fragmented and dramatically smaller?

Boom! That's why Apple will steamroll on and Android will remain a low tier, low profit, high volume, low value "alternative".
  • Reply 342 of 417
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jetz View Post

I couldn't care less about the apps. That'll pickup for Android.

famous last words...

Quote:

And really, how many is a person going to pay for and use?

It's not that you will buy 65,000 but that you have 65,000 to choose from.

I thought choice was good. Oh wait, only "open" choice is good

Quote:

But if I go with the iPad then I'd rather spend less than $499 and maybe pickup last year's model or get a refurb...or pay $499 and get more memory. Gonna have to sleep on this one.....

Heck, if you are going to get last years model the 16GB are popping up for $350 in the refurb section. An absolute steal...
  • Reply 343 of 417
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dimitrir View Post

since, unlike Android, iOS cannot multitask, second core will just sit there idle all the time.

So Apple added expense for something that does no good?

LOL - seriously, do people even think about what they are typing? This is so hilariously stupid I'm continually astounded that inane thoughts such as these ever see the light of day.

Whew... and I thought I had read it all when I made the mistake of reading the comments at engadget
  • Reply 344 of 417
    penchantedpenchanted Posts: 1,070member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DocNo42 View Post

It's not that you will buy 65,000 but that you have 65,000 to choose from.

I thought choice was good. Oh wait, only "open" choice is good

Choice seems to only be good when Apple doesn't have the most choices.
  • Reply 345 of 417
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kotatsu View Post

It still has a comically large bezel around the screen.

Spoken like someone who hasn't actually held or used a touch sensitive tablet...

Quote:

And crucially no new OS, and iOS as it stands now is a generation behind Honeycomb.

And the clincher. Yup, another uniformed astroturfer.

Quote:

This was a very small update indeed, and clearly a stop gap until a retina display equipped quad core iPad 3 arrives.

With one critical difference - between iPad2 and iPad3 tens of millions of iPad2s will be sold. How many honeycomb tablets? Will they make a million? And let's be specific - a Million sold, not a million stuffed into the channel, or sold and then returned....
  • Reply 346 of 417
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jennieb View Post

All I'm asking for is a USB connection [..] I need to be able to toss the iPad in my bag with the ability to add files directly on the go without fumbling with a bag of cords.

So one adaptor or one cord = "bag of cords"?

Hyperbole much?
  • Reply 347 of 417
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jennieb View Post

If you have a useful suggestion, I am all for it, as I was really hoping to get the new version!!

The SD card adaptor in the Camera kit? Same size as a flash drive you are alluding to using to transfer between PC's? Just leave the SD card in the SD Card Camera kit and you essentially have a flash drive with an iPod dock connector on it.

Really, it's not that hard, nor as burdensome are many are trying to hype.
  • Reply 348 of 417
    lightknightlightknight Posts: 2,312member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by photoeditor View Post

How independent is it from a "mothership" computer?

For motherships, look into www.eve-online.com.
  • Reply 349 of 417
    newbeenewbee Posts: 2,055member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lamewing View Post

But for people like me who want a small computer to write and test code on the go...it is still a toy. I am "stuck" using a Macbook Air.

Lucky man ..... a Macbook Air. Which model did you buy and how do you like it?
  • Reply 350 of 417
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tjw View Post

Same old apple......

Beautiful hardware.... Shame about the ios software. Still just a glorified app launcher. Still you can't blame them for playing to their strengths

Any computer I've ever seen, the only time it was useful was when you launched an app .... so what's your point?
  • Reply 351 of 417
    janet5janet5 Posts: 2member
    Hmm, I think all of the rumors about the iPad 2 is reveals, so don't have too many surprise: Faster, Lighter, Thinner

Cameras and Gyro

iOS 4.3 +FaceTime

3G on AT&T and Verizon

Same 10-hour battery life

Some upgrade are cool but can't really appeal to me, and buy it at once, I think I would stick with the 1gen iPad, and wait the iPad 3's launching in the autumn.
  • Reply 352 of 417
    postulantpostulant Posts: 1,272member
    "So, I've said this before and I thought it was worth repeating. It's in Apple's DNA that technology alone is not enough - That it's technology married with liberal arts - Married with the humanities - That yields us the result that makes our hearts sing - And, nowhere is that more true than in these post PC-devices (iPod, iPhone, and iPad) and a lot of folks in this tablet market are rushing in and they're looking at this as the next PC - The hardware and software are done by different companies and they're talking about speeds and feeds just like they did with PCs and our experience and every bone in our bodies says that that is not the right approach to this - That these are post PC devices - That need to be even easier to use than a PC - That need to be even more intuitive than a PC - And where the software and hardware and the applications need to intertwine in an even more seamless way than they do on a PC- And we think we're on the right track with this - We think we have the right architecture not just in Silicon but in the organization to build these kinds of products - And so i think we stand a pretty good chance of being pretty competitive in this market"

This is what has allowed Apple to sell over 160 million iPhones - This is why Apple has over 60 billion in the bank - This is why Apple is the #1 tech company in the world, and this is why I'll be laying down my hard earned cash on March 11th.

Guess where you can shove your spec sheets...
  • Reply 353 of 417
    I want it. 64GB 3G Black please.
  • Reply 354 of 417
    rabbit_coachrabbit_coach Posts: 1,114member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Janet5 View Post

Hmm, I think all of the rumors about the iPad 2 is reveals, so don't have too many surprise: Faster, Lighter, Thinner

Cameras and Gyro

iOS 4.3 +FaceTime

3G on AT&T and Verizon

Same 10-hour battery life

Some upgrade are cool but can't really appeal to me, and buy it at once, I think I would stick with the 1gen iPad, and wait the iPad 3's launching in the autumn.

The iPad 1 is truly an awesom device and with the OS upgrade you will get a lot of the 2nd gen's functionality. For me the iPad 2 is exactly what I hoped for and since my wife wants one too... wel she is OK to take my 1st gen iPad, wich brings me into the lucky position to have all reason to buy this little jewel.
  • Reply 355 of 417
    rabbit_coachrabbit_coach Posts: 1,114member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

I want it. 64GB 3G Black please.

Thats my pick too. Sooooo looking forward.
  • Reply 356 of 417
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nikon133 View Post

I agree that one can live without Flash if one chooses to, but saying that nobody wants it because millions of iPad are sold is a bit of overstatement. Those millions are really nothing compared to potential market.

They may be nothing to the "potential market" .... but they are certainly something to the only market that counts (the current market) ..... over 90% of the current market. We'll see how much of the future market gets taken by Apple, when the future arrives ... but it isn't here yet.
  • Reply 357 of 417
    samabsamab Posts: 1,953member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Wiggin View Post

Actually, Apple doesn't list the resolution of the rear camera. In all likelihood, it's the same camera as in the iPod touch. 0.9 megapixel, which mean it's limited to 720p resolution, even for still photos. That's not even sufficient to print a 4x6. But in general you are correct about the megapixel myth. Give me 3-5 high-quality megapixels over 10 crappy megapixels any day.

There is also the thickness of the camera kit that needs to be talked about. On many cellphones, the thickest part of the phone itself came from the camera unit --- often the camera is protruding.

Something's got to give. Apple wants to have a ultra-thin nothing-is-protruding ipad2, so you will have a pair of less than stellar cameras.
  • Reply 358 of 417
    HeY fellas,

Am so excited about the ipad2. The inclusion of the smart cover was really thoughtful. Man with dual core processors and face time we can beat Olive Pad's ass anytime.
  • Reply 359 of 417
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by n2macs View Post

Who cares what the ram is? The iPad does what it is designed to do very well. It's not a PC.

Actually the original iPad has all sorts of problems directly related to the amount of RAM installed. IPad really has a UNIX like OS running below that GUI goodness, thus it can easily make use of that extra RAM. If it is there.

Contrary to some opinions here I don't think iPad 2 is that bad of an upgrade. That is if RAM has expanded to the desired 512 MB. Of all the things that Apple has done with iPad marketing I see the sleaziest as its refusal to divulge important parameters like RAM size.

Besides that iPad really comes up short when doing one of the things it should do well. That is surfing the net with Safari. The extreme lack of RAM in iPad one leads to excessive page reloads which slows the machine and expands data usage. It is almost as if Apple configured IPad to use you data allotment excessively.
  • Reply 360 of 417
    thepixeldocthepixeldoc Posts: 2,257member
    I'll let ya in on a "secret": SJ and Apple are NOT in a spec-sheet race. They are in a "user-friendly" and "experience" race... and by all accounts, they are winning "The Race" by a long mile.

"The Race" = who can get the next revolution of computing devices, at an affordable yet profitable price-point, into the hands of as many people as possible, and make them say, "WOW!... how did I ever live without this great gadget before".

Horse-bet: 1:1 odds Apple sells 40 mil in 2011... 1:1,5 - 60 million.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

Actually the original iPad has all sorts of problems directly related to the amount of RAM installed. IPad really has a UNIX like OS running below that GUI goodness, thus it can easily make use of that extra RAM. If it is there.

Contrary to some opinions here I don't think iPad 2 is that bad of an upgrade. That is if RAM has expanded to the desired 512 MB. Of all the things that Apple has done with iPad marketing I see the sleaziest as its refusal to divulge important parameters like RAM size.

Besides that iPad really comes up short when doing one of the things it should do well. That is surfing the net with Safari. The extreme lack of RAM in iPad one leads to excessive page reloads which slows the machine and expands data usage. It is almost as if Apple configured IPad to use you data allotment excessively.