Apple's iPad 2 prompts Samsung to improve 'inadequate' parts of Galaxy Tab 10.1

Comments

• Reply 21 of 222
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MadGoat View Post

This goes to prove that the android tablet manufacturers don't innovate, but rather wait for apple to come out with their next product and try to modify theirs to be slightly ahead.

This is so very sad that other companies wait on Apple's keynotes before making their own products.

Frankly, their "me too" attitude really doesn't promote competition at all.

Yup.

Samsung to World: "Don't buy our product. We're screwed."

Quote:
    Originally Posted by extremeskater View Post

What makes me chuckle is when someone hasn't even used the other product and puts it down based on what someone else says.

Uh... the "someone else" in this instance was a Samsung executive. He 'puts down' his own product, and I'm taking him at his word.
  • Reply 22 of 222
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Samsung is headed back to the drawing board for its forthcoming Galaxy Tab 10.1 to improve "inadequate" parts and reconsider pricing after Apple unveiled its iPad 2 this week.

Translation: We watched the keynote and then told our engineers "Make it like that!"

On another note the Xoomdroids are blathering about how the iPad2 is playing catch-up to their iPad killer (based on specs only, of course) which isn't even in wide distribution yet and Google has just released some code kit to help relieve the Android fragmentation situation. Add to that the 55 or so apps that Google used the kill switch on because they were infested with malware.

Yep, Apple is doomed alright. I'll take the walled garden any day and so will the mass market. Colleagues and friends tell me every day they are strongly condsidering moving to the iPad or Mac because of their excellent experience with the iPhone.
  • Reply 23 of 222
    gqbgqb Posts: 1,934member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Euphoria View Post

It's good that Apple is lifting the bar for some of these developers.

This means improved products at better pricing for the consumers.

I thought it was all of this 'competition' that was supposed to be raising the bar for Apple!
  • Reply 24 of 222
    crift2012crift2012 Posts: 124member
    Quote:

What makes me chuckle is when someone hasn't even used the other product and puts it down based on what someone else says. Or brings up Flash when the iPad will never have Flash enable. How did Flash all of a suddent become important?

The Xoom hardware has nothing to do with Flash. Flash is a plugin that is not really yet for Honeycomb. That will be a simple updated from Adobe that will come from the Android market.

The Xoom hardware is really nice as is the OS the problem with many of these products and the reason Apple will outsell all of htem is the ecosystem and the lack of apps for the Tablets.

how do you use flash with any interactivity on touch-based system? how do you reconcile the on(states). Touch is not the same as mouse/stylus input.

It is a GREAT thing Flash will NEVER be on the iPad. If you have seen it "run" on other mobile phones you can see why it should never be on an apple device. Flash was designed in a different era and will only be useful on desktops/laptops. It's pointless to have a multi-touch system for software that only designed around a single-input.

Why do you think even Adobe has abandoned the public fight with Apple? Cause it was a matter of time before flash developers (like myself) would question why Adobe is even trying to win this debate. Steve was being gracious when he discussed Flash on the iPad. The fact of matter remains, all flash programming designed around the 4 button on() states will never work with touch-enable systems. Flash needs a minimum of 3 states for button interaction and can only target one input, even though they can be pressed in rapid succession. With gestures, its completely different.

Adobe even gave up with Flash mobile 10.1, most people still do not have it, that can "use" it. How long did it take to ship? Almost 2 years and it is not even done well. Even the XOOM ships without flash. After the HUGE EFFING DEAL, all the android/tech users made about flash you would think ADOBE would have gotten their ducks in a row. There also is no getting around flash's bandwidth liability and it's security risk that can not be patched.
  • Reply 25 of 222
    xsuxsu Posts: 401member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by robbydek View Post

It could be because Apple has an exclusive agreement,where Samsung can't use the parts designed by Apple and/or Samsung doesn't supply all the parts for Apple, including some of the more expensive parts.

Besides, Motorola is the only Tablet that can compete with the iPad 2, simply because it has the ability to support 4G. Motorola either needs to look at massive improvements or bringing costs down.

Samsung and others didn't have as much time to develop their pads, and even less time to work with their suppliers, that's why they can't get the parts in as high a quality and/or as low a price point.

4G is a non issue. Xoom doesn't have it, it's only available through a physical upgrade. And we would be lucky to have LTE coverning 20% of the country by the time iPad 3 comes out.
  • Reply 26 of 222
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by xsu View Post

When important features of your product, the ones you are touting to differentiate yourself from competitor, are not ready when you ship the product, that fits the definition of "Not Ready", or "Half-baked".

Adobe's inability to get their plugin ready for Android 3.0 is the strongest confirmation that Steve made the right decision to dump Flash. Just imagine how much longer would Adobe drag their feet if flash's future viability was NOT on the line here.

Flash really isn't on the line for anyone but Adobe. Android phones were selling just fine even before Flash became available for Froyo. Sites like YouTube and VEVO that use Flash now have Apps that work just fine on the iPad using HTML5.

Only reason I would still like to have Flash is because alot of the local sites I use for news still use Flash. Its not a matter of being a fan of Adobe or Flash its the fact that Flash isn't going away overnight.

In any case that has nothing to do with the topic and the fact most of the hardware on these other Tablets is pretty nice.
  • Reply 27 of 222
    anonymouseanonymouse Posts: 6,860member
    Quote:

What makes me chuckle is when someone ... brings up Flash when the iPad will never have Flash enable. How did Flash all of a suddent become important? ...

Stop being disingenuous, we know you aren't that stupid, and you ought to know by now that we aren't that stupid, either.

You know, I know, everyone knows, that the reason Motorola is being criticized/ridiculed for not being able to ship Flash on the Xoom is not because, Flash all of a sudden became important, nor even because the Xoom doesn't have Flash. It's because they touted it as a major feature and shipped without it. It would be as if Apple announced the IP4 with front and rear cameras touting FaceTime and then shipped without it: "Coming soon in an update." They would have rightly been the target of criticism and ridicule just as Motorola is rightly the target for this.

So, we all, including you, know that this is just BS, and you demean no one but yourself when you keep repeating it.
  • Reply 28 of 222
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    That is sad as they are obviously coping instead of manufacturing their own vision. Motorola at least has a sense of what their hardware will be and is willing to launch with it. Android is Xooms biggest down fall but that is simply software. In the case of HP and RIM I have more respect for them even if they don't have product on the market yet. At least they have a vision that goes beyond Android.

In any event I really would like to know where they think the 10.1 comes up short. Thickness maybe? On a ten inch tablet I really don't see a tenth of an inch being a big deal. It can't be an issue with ports as iPad has very few. Maybe the issue is battery life. The comments are truely strange.
  • Reply 29 of 222
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lkrupp View Post

Translation: We watched the keynote and then told our engineers "Make it like that!"

You might recall a moment in the film Galaxy Quest when the captain (Tim Allen) runs out of ideas to get his crew out of a tight spot. Then the engineering team explains an option to him. Obviously not understanding word one, Allen nods eagerly and says, "I know! Let's do THAT!".
  • Reply 30 of 222
    tipootipoo Posts: 1,142member
    Quote:

"We will have to improve the parts that are inadequate"

Thats what she said.
  • Reply 31 of 222
    In order to be able to lower its prices, Samsung will have to replace certain parts by cheaper ones.
  • Reply 32 of 222
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by crift2012 View Post

how do you use flash with any interactivity on touch-based system? how do you reconcile the on(states). Touch is not the same as mouse/stylus input.

It is a GREAT thing Flash will NEVER be on the iPad. If you have seen it "run" on other mobile phones you can see why it should never be on an apple device. Flash was designed in a different era and will only be useful on desktops/laptops. It's pointless to have a multi-touch system for software that only designed around a single-input.

Why do you think even Adobe has abandoned the public fight with Apple? Cause it was a matter of time before flash developers (like myself) would question why Adobe is even trying to win this debate. Steve was being gracious when he discussed Flash on the iPad. The fact of matter remains, all flash programming designed around the 4 button on() states will never work with touch-enable systems. Flash needs a minimum of 3 states for button interaction and can only target one input, even though they can be pressed in rapid succession. With gestures, its completely different.

Adobe even gave up with Flash mobile 10.1, most people still do not have it, that can "use" it. How long did it take to ship? Almost 2 years and it is not even done well. Even the XOOM ships without flash. After the HUGE EFFING DEAL, all the android/tech users made about flash you would think ADOBE would have gotten their ducks in a row. There also is no getting around flash's bandwidth liability and it's security risk that can not be patched.

Flash is going to be about a three week wait for Honeycomb. Its not the end of the world. Adobe didn't give up on anything seeing Flash is used on every Android phone running Froyo.

The reason Honeycomb doesn't have Flash yet is because they ar going with 10.2 not 10.1

Also everyone acts as if they are being force to use Flash. For those on Android that don't want to sue Flash you simply don't install the plugin. Apple not allowing Flash is nothing more then Steve Jobs controlling content.

Flash is a plugin if you want it then you the end user install it, if you don't you never have to install it on your system. Also on your mobile you can set flash for " on demand" so you can activate it only when you want to use it, you don't have to use it on ever website.

It works rather well.
  • Reply 33 of 222
    crift2012crift2012 Posts: 124member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by robbydek View Post

It could be because Apple has an exclusive agreement,where Samsung can't use the parts designed by Apple and/or Samsung doesn't supply all the parts for Apple, including some of the more expensive parts.

Besides, Motorola is the only Tablet that can compete with the iPad 2, simply because it has the ability to support 4G. Motorola either needs to look at massive improvements or bringing costs down.

lol... mean talk about spinning the truth...

you do realize, you have to ship it back to motorola to get the "4G" to work right? The Xoom is not shipped with 4G. That is after you fork the 800 for not one native app...lol. So i guess you might be sitting around playing with the Honeycomy UI-ey. Yea! a custom lock screen! And exactly how fast is this "4G"? Is it 100 Mbit/s? or 10-15 Mbit/s? That's not even 3.5G, more like 3.15G man.

Which network supplies 100 Mbits/s? Until then the Xoom and Sprint are only 3G+
  • Reply 34 of 222
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by FreeRange View Post

Not really. It means all of these Android clones will race to the bottom and not make any money, and some will go out of business, or abandon it, just like in the PC market. Did that really create a lot of "improved products" in the PC arena at "better pricing"? NO - just a lot of cheap crappy ones.

These boards need a mod function...this needs a plus up. The PC junk production is exactly what these talentless hacks provide!

Quote:
    Originally Posted by xsu View Post

When important features of your product, the ones you are touting to differentiate yourself from competitor, are not ready when you ship the product, that fits the definition of "Not Ready", or "Half-baked".

Adobe's inability to get their plugin ready for Android 3.0 is the strongest confirmation that Steve made the right decision to dump Flash. Just imagine how much longer would Adobe drag their feet if flash's future viability was NOT on the line here.

This one needs a plus up, too!
  • Reply 35 of 222
    see flatsee flat Posts: 145member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

"We will have to improve the parts that are inadequate," ..... "Apple made it very thin."

Good plan... should be ready by the time iPad 3 comes out!
  • Reply 36 of 222
    xsuxsu Posts: 401member
    Quote:

Flash really isn't on the line for anyone but Adobe.

Exactly! Flash's survival is nobody but Adobe's concern, and they should be working their butts off to make sure it doesn't sink into oblivion by getting it ready, available and working great on as many platform as possible. Yet they can't seem to get it working on one of the key platform that's open to their technology. To me, that shows they either have given up internally, or are technically inept, or both.

So why should Apple be slammed for giving up on a floundering technology, albeit a bit earlier than people would liked?
  • Reply 37 of 222
    ivan.rnn01ivan.rnn01 Posts: 1,822member
    Reasons for Samsung's failure were once explained on the AppleInsider board.

They --- reasons --- are well known for quite long now.

• Reply 38 of 222
    Quote:

What makes me chuckle is when someone hasn't even used the other product and puts it down based on what someone else says. Or brings up Flash when the iPad will never have Flash enable. How did Flash all of a suddent become important?

The Xoom hardware has nothing to do with Flash. Flash is a plugin that is not really yet for Honeycomb. That will be a simple updated from Adobe that will come from the Android market.

Except that the Xoom was promoted all along as having the ability to run flash.

Quote:

The Xoom hardware is really nice as is the OS the problem with many of these products and the reason Apple will outsell all of htem is the ecosystem and the lack of apps for the Tablets.

Not only the ecosystem but also the ease of use. Honeycomb seems to be venturing into the gap between iOS-like systems and full desktop (Only my perception, I haven't used it). There could be a market there for those who want/need a hybrid (I'm sort-of interested). I doubt the market is large enough for an ecosystem to develop that will give Apple any real competition.

I wonder how well those monitor-flippin Dells are selling. They deliver both worlds.
  • Reply 39 of 222
    postulantpostulant Posts: 1,272member
    Quote:

What makes me chuckle is when someone hasn't even used the other product and puts it down based on what someone else says.

Should we refer to your comments about the the first gen iPad before it was released?
  • Reply 40 of 222
    alandailalandail Posts: 755member
    Last year dozens of companies announced tablets at CES 2010, then saw Apple's iPad and threw them all in the trash and started over. It took a year to come of with something even close, and now at least one company already admits they totally missed the mark. It makes you wonder how many unannounced products also just got delayed as it seems at least some companies waited until after the iPad 2 announcement to announce anything to avoid this sort of embarrassment.

It would seem, too, that Apple's own chip development is giving them an advantage that will only grow over time. Nobody knew what the A5 would be until the iPad was announced. The dual core was expected, the 9x improvement in graphics performance had to catch people off guard. How is the competition supposed to predict what the A6 will bring. How are they supposed to individually bring the resources needed to each do their own custom designed chips each year.

This is a whole different ballgame than the mac battling the PC clones where any kid could slap together off the shelf parts and build an inexpensive PC clone. And where the majority of the market used pretty much the same chips, causing that volume to drive down costs.

This time around it's Apple who has the advantage in economies of scale. It's Apple who had 60% of the worlds displays. It's Apple who can invest billions of dollars to gain an edge. As a result, it's the competition who's having trouble keeping up with Apple's pricing as even collectively, they don't have the resources to push the technology that Apple does.