Apple ships over 1 million MacBook Airs in new notebook's first quarter

Comments

• Reply 181 of 207
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by marvfox View Post

Is it really much faster than my 5400 HD? Will I see a difference if I installed a SSD in my MBP 13 inch from 2010 I just got 1 month ago. Thanks

Get a good quality SSD and you will *definitely* see the difference. If you can afford it, I don't see any reason not to use an SSD in a Mac laptop.
  • Reply 182 of 207
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Futuristic View Post

I think there's room for the iPad and a Whitebook at the $799 price point, because they serve different needs. As I said earlier, a $799 Whitebook would be a great, fully functional, inexpensive Mac?i.e. it would run OS X Lion. Great for students and writers. I'm reminded of several gazillion years ago, when Apple made the eMate. I worked for a newspaper then, and our reporters used eMates and LOVED them. If you're on a really tight budget, and you don't need a fancy, machined aluminum beast, or huge amounts of memory or storage, but you DO need full word-processing capability and other functionality that OS X provides, but iOS does not, then a $799 Whitebook would be just about perfect.

The iPad is not a laptop replacement, nor was it ever designed or intended to be.

You make a very excellent point here. With thunderbolt, even design houses and production studios could plug their MBPs directly into their 36 TB RAID systems. As MBPs get better and faster, the Mac Pro is increasingly losing its raisons d'être. I suppose users at big houses may need to use more displays than even a 2014 MBP could support (plus, the heat generated by a graphics card that powerful would likely melt a hole in the floor. Ah, where would I be without hyperbole?? ) So, it makes more sense to me (and apparently to you as well), that Apple eventually retire the Mac Pro, and, oh hey! Resurrect the Xserve?but this time, make it bigger and badder, and most importantly, actually market it!!

I think there's still a place for the Mini and iMac?in the homes of families on a budget, i.e., a single "family computer", rather than four or five individual laptops; or a small office environment: an iMac set up at a receptionist's desk looks pretty swanky.

Yup. I'm with ya there.

What I see is an intention to progressively improve the capabilities of the iPad, giving it the ability to handle a wider variety of specific uses. As this happens, a $799 laptop becomes progressively less necessary. If the iPad 3 is a machine that Apple will market as closer to being a substitute for a lower-end laptop, it means we could see an end to a low-cost laptop option.

Don't forget that another development may be the reduction in price of the MacBook Air because one of the reasons for it being priced as it is now is that SSD is still expensive. This will not be the case indefinitely. As SSDs become more affordable, I think a computer using Air technology coming in at a lower price point is not out of the question.

By the way, regarding the Mini, I wonder if one option could be to offer a minimalist take on the desktop, featuring an outrageously small device that uses SSDs and has no optical drive. That would be an interesting product and I can imagine a desktop that small could be put to some interesting uses.
  • Reply 183 of 207
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by marvfox View Post

Is it really much faster than my 5400 HD? Will I see a difference if I installed a SSD in my MBP 13 inch from 2010 I just got 1 month ago. Thanks

There are so many reviews out there comparing them. Even a cheap SSD is faster than a fast HHD in pretty every test. Just go into an Apple Store and restart an 11? MBA with a comparatively slow 1.2GHz small-form-factor ultra-low voltage CPU, then restart the fastest MBP, iMac or Mac Pro they have with an HDD for a boot drive.

Also, make sure you check out the SSD v. Raptor HDDs online. AnandTech also has a lot of good comparisons.
  • Reply 184 of 207
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by John.B View Post

I recently spent a week scuba diving and shooting underwater photography with a friend who was running an off-the-shelf 2GB 13" MBA (late 2010) while I had my 4GB, HDD-based 13" MBP (mid 2010), since sold. In a head-to-head comparison running local Lightroom libraries of the raw underwater images for the week, I'd be inclined to say the only deficiency in her MBA was the page out rates (not enough base memory, not upgradeable). In fact, I pretty much said exactly that:

Based on that experience, if they gave the MBAs similar updates to the early 2011 MBPs, I will be first in line for one. For those of use to have to travel with the current weight restrictions, a pound-and-a-half here and there can make a big difference and, IRL, SSDs can make up a lot of the performance difference of a slower processor.

Maybe don't be so quick to assume what you think makes a fast enough computer has to apply to everyone?

For the vast majority of MBA purchasers, 2GB is plenty, which begs the question, why are you so insistent on all those many customers who don't need more RAM paying more to accommodate a small percentage of purchasers. If Apple were to make 4GB the default configuration, it would mean adding to the cost of the base model. It might be less than the $100 Cdn. it costs now to boost the RAM but no matter how much it would come to, you are asking people to pay something for RAM that has no value to them. If it's $70, for example, that's $70 wasted for many consumers. Apple is offering consumers a choice and in so doing it is charging a bit of a premium on that small group needing additional RAM. It seems to me preferable that a small percentage of MBA buyers have to pay let's say an extra $30 for additional RAM than have all MBA buyers have to come up with an additional $70.

Sure this puts the onus on the consumer to know how much RAM is going to be needed but then again, how is that different from any other purchase. If you don't do your homework and it costs you, that's your fault.

It would be like GM refusing to build five-passenger vehicles because some consumers might, on occasion, need to carry six people. It's your responsibility to make an informed purchase.
  • Reply 185 of 207
    john galtjohn galt Posts: 960member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

I would guess you don't know what RAM is.

I would guess English is not your first language.

• Reply 186 of 207
    r00fusr00fus Posts: 245member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iGuessSo View Post

Totally agree. It's the best computer I've ever owned. In everyday use (excluding gaming) it's the fastest, most responsive computer I've ever used too.

The only thing I miss is dual monitors when I'm docked.

DisplayLink is your friend: http://www.displaylink.com/

I use an EVGA+ 16 and I have 2 1680x1050 displays, one miniDP->DVI and the other attached to a belkin 7-port hub that has KB, mouse, and iPhone dock.

I plug in my primary display, USB and magsafe and I'm all connected.

I've never run into problems for normal usage. I haven't tried videogames or movie playback (it's a work office).
  • Reply 187 of 207
    john.bjohn.b Posts: 2,742member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Carmissimo View Post

For the vast majority of MBA purchasers, 2GB is plenty, which begs the question, why are you so insistent on all those many customers who don't need more RAM paying more to accommodate a small percentage of purchasers. If Apple were to make 4GB the default configuration, it would mean adding to the cost of the base model. It might be less than the $100 Cdn. it costs now to boost the RAM but no matter how much it would come to, you are asking people to pay something for RAM that has no value to them. If it's $70, for example, that's $70 wasted for many consumers. Apple is offering consumers a choice and in so doing it is charging a bit of a premium on that small group needing additional RAM. It seems to me preferable that a small percentage of MBA buyers have to pay let's say an extra $30 for additional RAM than have all MBA buyers have to come up with an additional $70.

Sure this puts the onus on the consumer to know how much RAM is going to be needed but then again, how is that different from any other purchase. If you don't do your homework and it costs you, that's your fault.

It would be like GM refusing to build five-passenger vehicles because some consumers might, on occasion, need to carry six people. It's your responsibility to make an informed purchase.

Well, there's this:

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bill Gates

640K ought to be enough for anybody.

What ever happened to, "It just works."
  • Reply 188 of 207
    bigpicsbigpics Posts: 1,397member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bcahill009 View Post

I agree completely, and you're right Apple will probably not do it but I think dropping the mb to $799 would open the door to buyers that otherwise would not be able to experience mac osx and how wonderful it is.

If they can somehow retain their margins by leaving the hardware where it is, I think it's a great move.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by REC View Post

It's really time for Apple to retire the vanilla Macbook. If $1000 is the best that can be done with it, I really don't think it has a place in the lineup anymore. Eliminate it and direct people to getting MBA's instead.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Logisticaldron View Post

Yeah, of course lowering the price opens the door to new buyers, but neither you nor tipoo have made a case for this being advantageous for Apple. Are you sure they can still get a good profit at that price point? How are you sure that they aren?t selling as many as they can make at $999? If $799 is good then $599 is even better, and $399 is even better than that, and $199 is better still, which makes throwing out a number because you like the way it looks a fruitless way to form an argument for a company lowering their price.

Computer pricing is based on a number of factors and "margin" is more complicated than many believe. The first big cost is amortizing the design and ramp up costs - "production experience" in short. Apple's done this ten times over on the white plastic macs by now. The second is the actual cost of making the ongoing models on existing production lines. The third is in refreshing the guts.

If they keep the model, I've been expecting a slight refresh and a price point of $899 - in between the fully tricked out Pad and the baby Air - as Apple is fond of filling every price point with usually one model - and (I believe) would still have decent margins with no design costs and slightly outdated and therefore cheaper components - and would be able to get another bit of the computer buying demo into Macs.

As for the below, I quit marking posts two pages in, so someone else may have already done me better....

Quote:
    Originally Posted by mcarling View Post

MacBook is a noun. Air is used as an adjective. The noun gets the 's' and the adjective doesn't.

Nupe. Macbook is the adjective in this construction. Adjectives nearly always precede the noun they modify. This is the Air line of Macbooks.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by addabox View Post

Huh? I do, indeed see reports of "Ford Focuses", although this is perhaps a difference between British and American English?

I also see reference to MacBook Pros and Mac Minis (not MacBook Pro laptops or Mac Mini computers) and many other products that are easily recognizable by there trade name without their generally category being appended (iPods, Xboxes, and Civics, not iPod portable music player, Xbox gaming console or Civic automobile).

For the purposes of this discussion, though, we would never say "Macs Mini", or "Hondas Civic" or "Fords Focus." A trade name is treated as a compound noun, with the plural coming at the end.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by noirdesir View Post

But you could say Ford's Focus.

You guys are both correct. As for Addabox's post, one reason is we're waaay too ADD (and stuck using less optimal keyboards and length-limited Tweets and TXTS) to use such clumsy constructions. Which is why Thunderbolt's already commonly TB with few people thinking about a disease when it's in an Apple context.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by ebergh View Post

Excuse me, but I just don't see how backlit keyboards are so important... My MBP 15 has one and my wife's new MBA 13 doesn't (BEST designed laptop I have EVER used) yet I can't see ANY difference when using the two keyboards. But then, I am a "touch typist".... I don't look at the keys while I type.

Is there some secret advantage to a keyboard with backlighting that I have missed?? Other than amusing my cats? Try typing all day long on it, and eventually you too will know where the darn keys are without looking, and will be able to type in the shadows!

Excuse me, I've also been a touch typist for many decades, and have momentary trouble orienting myself and staying oriented - even with the little 'bumps' when I try to use my old notebook in the dark. I can live without a lit KB, but it is a nice addition.

However, another poster noted that Apple made the keytops on the MBA reflective enough to be minimally lit by the reflection from the screen, and if so, that could be the most useful, power friendly and least distracting solution of all, e.g., who wants their KB glowing while watching House on Hulu?
  • Reply 189 of 207
    brucepbrucep Posts: 2,823member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

You mean 'Apple' and '7-inch', respectively.

And no, they won't.

thanks

no i do mean a form factor between ipod touch and ipad sizes

and of that >> in the middle size of which I speak will one day in the future be the top selling size

simply fits the hand better

• Reply 190 of 207
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by brucep View Post

the middle size... ...will... ...be the top selling size

simply fits the hand better

Better than a 3.5" screen. Right...
  • Reply 191 of 207
    nhtnht Posts: 4,522member
    Quote:

The new AIRs are a totally new design. They are derived from the same concept but new machines are far more suited to the needs of the targeted users.

The new AIRs are vastly improved and only remotely resemble the old systems. That is what makes them the great machines that they are.

You have a very odd definition of "remotely resemble" given all they did was add a USB port and SD card, did a speed bump and added a SSD in the 13".

It's not a 'totally new design" but a nice evolution of the original product. Put the two side by side and this is obvious.

Which is the new one?
  • Reply 192 of 207
    docno42docno42 Posts: 3,759member
    Quote:

They are faster for many users but they are a very long way from being absolutely faster.

How, specifically, are they a "long way" from being absolutely faster?
  • Reply 193 of 207
    jonamacjonamac Posts: 388member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by john galt View Post

I saw this comment too, was a very odd comeback lol

Quote:
    Originally Posted by bigpics View Post

Nupe. Macbook is the adjective in this construction. Adjectives nearly always precede the noun they modify. This is the Air line of Macbooks.

However, another poster noted that Apple made the keytops on the MBA reflective enough to be minimally lit by the reflection from the screen, and if so, that could be the most useful, power friendly and least distracting solution of all, e.g., who wants their KB glowing while watching House on Hulu?

MacBook is not the adjective. 'MacBook Air' is a compound noun. It's that simple.

You can turn down/off the keyboard backlighting using the function keys mapped to the F5 and F6 keys for House
  • Reply 194 of 207
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by john galt View Post

You have insulted a fine member here ..

take it back dude

• Reply 195 of 207
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nht View Post

You have a very odd definition of "remotely resemble" given all they did was add a USB port and SD card, did a speed bump and added a SSD in the 13".

It's not a 'totally new design" but a nice evolution of the original product. Put the two side by side and this is obvious.

Which is the new one?

left

left
  • Reply 196 of 207
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jonamac View Post

I saw this comment too, was a very odd comeback lol

MacBook is not the adjective. 'MacBook Air' is a compound noun. It's that simple.

You can turn down/off the keyboard backlighting using the function keys mapped to the F5 and F6 keys for House

this whole grammar debate IS STUPID

really

• Reply 197 of 207
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Quote:

left

left

Why would left be new when it has the physical trackpad button? Come on.
  • Reply 198 of 207
    nhtnht Posts: 4,522member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Why would left be new when it has the physical trackpad button? Come on.

Heh...that is a dead giveaway but they do look remarkably similar for something that was "totally redesigned" and only "remotely resemble" one another.

Yes, yes, from the side it is fairly obvious because of the ports but the heritage is obvious.
  • Reply 199 of 207
    bigpicsbigpics Posts: 1,397member
    Quote:

You win the kewpie doll, sir:

http://www.learnenglish.de/grammar/nouncompound.htm

Quote:

A compound noun is a noun that is made up of two or more words. Most compound nouns in English are formed by nouns modified by other nouns or adjectives.

For example:

The words tooth and paste are each nouns in their own right, but if you join them together they form a new word - toothpaste. [such words may be joined as the former, hyphenated, or left free-standing]

The word black is an adjective and board is a noun, but if you join them together they form a new word - blackboard.

In both these example the first word modifies or describes the second word, telling us what kind of object or person it is, or what its purpose is. And the second part identifies the object or person in question.

Compound nouns can also be formed using the following combinations of words:-

Noun\t + Noun = toothpaste

Adjective\t +\tNoun\t = full moon

Verb\t +\tNoun\t = swimming pool

Preposition +\tNoun\t = underground

Noun\t +\tVerb\t = haircut

Noun\t +\tPreposition\t = hanger on

Adjective\t +\tVerb\t = dry-cleaning

Preposition\t +\tVerb\t = output

Quote:

Cool that!

Quote:

this whole grammar debate IS STUPID

really

And as is well known, we always stick entirely on subject and only debate things of great moment and intellectual weight here on Apple Insider......

Me, I find some of the side conversations that break out (other than tediously and hideously personal flame/troll wars) the best part of a given thread, and the others, well, I'm a well-practiced scroller.
  • Reply 200 of 207
    jonamacjonamac Posts: 388member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bigpics View Post

You win the kewpie doll, sir:

http://www.learnenglish.de/grammar/nouncompound.htm

Cool that!

And as is well known, we always stick entirely on subject and only debate things of great moment and intellectual weight here on Apple Insider......

Me, I find some of the side conversations that break out (other than tediously and hideously personal flame/troll wars) the best part of a given thread, and the others, well, I'm a well-practiced scroller.

Thank you, sir! lol. I tire of the baseless speculating and petty nitpicking that goes on here too so when someone throws down a good ol' grammar gauntlet I'm happy to pick it up, especially when some of the answers already given were so depressingly wayward!