Apple ships over 1 million MacBook Airs in new notebook's first quarter

Comments

• Reply 121 of 207
    swilcoxswilcox Posts: 20member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mcarling View Post

We agree up to this point.

MacBook is a noun. Air is used as an adjective. The noun gets the 's' and the adjective doesn't.

I want a 15" MacBook Air.

"How many different MacBook Pros does Apple have in its catalog?" That question sounds okay to me. Oh, wait, am I supposed to ask "How many MacBooks Pro does Apple have in its catalog?"

It's MacBook Airs.
  • Reply 122 of 207
    zunxzunx Posts: 620member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post

Wow, what an utterly horrendous sounding device. No, they shouldn't. Do some of you just spout random shit without actually taking 30 seconds to think about it 1st? Apple would be out of business with suggestions like this. Full OS X on a 5-7 in screen? Really? At what resolution?? A 5-7' physical keyboard? Apple has made it clear they won't produce anything that uses a less than full size keyboard, which makes sense. Your described device just sounds like a nightmare to actually use, which is why UMPCs died a quick and violent death.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by JBlongz View Post

That is where iPad 2 comes in. I don't know about pocketable though, thats what an iPhone is for. but iPad handles Keynote and PowerPoint very well. The entire iWork bundle is incredible on the iPad.

Unfortunately the iPad fails with most PowerPoint and even Keynote presentations already made on a Mac. Not to mention on Windows. Those are facts. Even using DataViz Documents to Go.
  • Reply 123 of 207
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by swilcox View Post

"How many different MacBook Pros does Apple have in its catalog?" That question sounds okay to me. Oh, wait, am I supposed to ask "How many MacBooks Pro does Apple have in its catalog?"

It's MacBook Airs.

Most logical human beings would agree.

I always thought Attorneys General sounded odd. But I guess since they aren't really Generals it had to be an exception
  • Reply 124 of 207
    mazda 3smazda 3s Posts: 1,613member
    Don't get me wrong, I love my 13" MacBook Air (2010 model, 4GB), but compared to my wife's MacBook Air (2009), the build quality leaves much to be desired.

- I don't know if Apple is using thinner aluminum for the bottom plate or what, but the bottom of the chassis flexes more and you can actually push in quite a bit and the bottom plate will give.

-My wife's MBA feels extremely solid, like it's built from a single slab of aluminum. My MBA creaks when picking it up, and sometimes if I apply too much pressure to the palmrest when typing. My wife's MBA doesn't do this.

It seems as though the .1 pound reduction in weight wasn't worth the build quality tradeoffs IMHO.

I can live without the backlit keyboard, but stuff like this worries me.
  • Reply 125 of 207
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by swilcox View Post

It's MacBook Airs.

Incorrect. "Air" is verb and "MacBook" is an adverb.

Example of correct usage:

"I am MacBookly Airing this document to your mother."
  • Reply 126 of 207
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by zunx View Post

Unfortunately the iPad fails with most PowerPoint and even Keynote presentations already made on a Mac. Not to mention on Windows. Those are facts. Even using DataViz Documents to Go.

This is a wild exaggeration (unless by "most" you actually mean "minority").

Just sayin.
  • Reply 127 of 207
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tipoo View Post

Not that I think Apple will do it, but IMO the whitebook is more suited for a lower price like 799.

I totally agree. I think Apple should keep the Whitebook around at that price point to put rest once and for all the meme that "Apple products are too expensive/overpriced". This would be particularly useful for students who need a cheap computer on which to write their papers and such (and to feed their Facebook addiction!)
  • Reply 128 of 207
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:

At least now with the iPad 2s, there is the HDMI adapter so one can probably use it to give the presentation since HDMI is somewhat more common in corporate conference rooms than are Apple TVs. Personally I'm not sure how well Keynote works with HDMI or AirPlay for that matter?
  • Reply 129 of 207
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

Just sayin.

Its not wildly exaggerated at all.

Presenter Notes are removed if you attempt to move to the iPad and if you attempt to bring it back to your Mac they are simply deleted.

Moving to the iPad doesn't handle screen resolutions or screen ratios well at all.

Can we say no support for custom fonts.

Removes master slides.

Anyone that uses Keynote on a regular basis knows the iPad Keynote should be called Keynote Lite.

Going from one to another simply creates more work.
  • Reply 130 of 207
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Logisticaldron View Post

It doesn't just look faster, it is faster. That SSD isn't an illusion of the drive being faster than a HDD, it is absolutely faster ...

To be fair, the new MacBook Air's are not really much faster than the originals, at least subjectively in day to day use. I'm writing this on an original 1st gen Air but I test, and use the new ones at work regularly also. The new ones start faster (obviously) and are (so far) more robust than the originals, but they aren't really speed demons at all.

The originals were very ... delicate, and had heat problems.

I literally don't know of anyone who owned one that didn't have it just stop working at some point for no apparent reason at all. My best friend had this happen three times despite being very careful with it and owning a custom padded case for it. Twice the motherboard simply stopped working, and the third time the drive just crapped out.

Servicing one is a nightmare, there are several delicate little wires that have to be put back "just so" or it won't start up at all, and many many screws of different lengths that can ruin the whole thing if you put them back incorrectly. For that reason, I'm almost certain that poor re-assembly by various Geniuses is the root of a many of the subsequent failures.

The reason to buy the new ones is that they have solved all these problems now. They are almost sealed units so servicing them means basically that you just get a new one (for free if you have AppleCare). Heat is no longer an issue, the motherboards seem more stable, and the delicate little hard drives have been removed as well. They aren't really that much faster, but they are much more reliable and a much better, more stable design overall IMO.
  • Reply 131 of 207
    Quote:

Apple should make a really portable MacBook Air:

- 400 to 600 g.

- 5 to 7-inch screen.

- Pocketable.

The ultimate Keynote and PowerPoint presentation tool!

Oh God. No "pocket Mac". BAD!!!

What would a hypothetical pocket Mac do that an iPhone or iPod Touch cannot do? Don't say "run Mac OS X Lion". That's not a good answer. You're losing the Mac OS X experience when you use a device with a tiny screen and tinier keyboard.

Let Apple's "competitors" < > do their "pocket computer" thing in their race to the bottom.
  • Reply 132 of 207
    Quote:

Just sayin.

It is true for the presentations at our University, including animations, transitions, video, tables, special fonts, background colors, etc. Just try with them and they get completely destroyed in their layout.
  • Reply 133 of 207
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by extremeskater View Post

Its not wildly exaggerated at all.

Presenter Notes are removed if you attempt to move to the iPad and if you attempt to bring it back to your Mac they are simply deleted.

Moving to the iPad doesn't handle screen resolutions or screen ratios well at all.

Can we say no support for custom fonts.

Removes master slides.

Anyone that uses Keynote on a regular basis knows the iPad Keynote should be called Keynote Lite.

Going from one to another simply creates more work.

I support KeyNote on the iPad a lot and I'm saying your exaggerating wildly here.

Your first statement (edit: that was zunx, sorry) was that "most" Keynote and Powerpoint presentations "fail." It's patently obvious that this statement is false. The list you have above proves it in that it mentions things that "most" Keynote presentations don't even use.

If you aren't converting Powerpoint presentations to Keynote before trying to present them on the iPad you are a bit of a fool to begin with, but even more so if you use custom fonts in your presentation. Only someone who knows nothing about computers at all and hasn't read a book about Powerpoint since the 90's would use custom fonts. It's kind of a standard thing in the computer world since, like forever that the funny font you installed on your machine won't be present on someone else's machine.

Similarly, if you are foolish enough to make a presentation in something stupid like 16:9 knowing that 90% of the time you are going to be presenting through a VGA projector or sending it by email to someone else who has a different resolution, well ... I don't think I even have to finish that thought.

The average Powerpoint plays quite well, Keynotes play flawlessly. Presenter notes show up fine and I've never heard of any "disappearing." Most of your problems are likely due to conversion issues between Powerpoint and Keynote. I'd say pick a horse and go with it and all your problems will disappear.

The worst thing about presenting on an iPad is the heavy cables that have to be connected which kind of ruins the whole idea of using an iPad. Hopefully presentation halls will get Apple TV units soon and we can all use AirPlay.
  • Reply 134 of 207
    Quote:

It is true for the presentations at our University, including animations, transitions, video, tables, special fonts, background colors, etc. Just try with them and they get completely destroyed in their layout.

That is going to be fixed in the next update, or so I have heard.
  • Reply 135 of 207
    Quote:

Just sayin.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Futuristic View Post

Oh God. No "pocket Mac". BAD!!!

What would a hypothetical pocket Mac do that an iPhone or iPod Touch cannot do? Don't say "run Mac OS X Lion". That's not a good answer. You're losing the Mac OS X experience when you use a device with a tiny screen and tinier keyboard.

See my previous posts. It is NOT to work on such pocketable Mac. It is just to give the presentation already made on a standard Mac and moved to the pocketable Mac. And for that such pocketable Mac must run Keynote and PowerPoint. Just that is a wonderful tool for people giving many presentations from USB-based remotes. Carry 600 g in your pocket instead of 2 kg of laptop and accessories.
  • Reply 136 of 207
    ufwaufwa Posts: 64member
    this guy again. \

this analyst doesn't do any work. I can't find the link now but his Ipad 2 analyst was nothing more than combing through various apple blogs with a straight head to ignore the wild spec claims like quad core or 4x the resolution.

He has never put out something before all the various blogs do. Its always after.
  • Reply 137 of 207
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Targon View Post

To grow sales of the Air-

- Add 3G MicroSIM (same data pack deals with carriers as the iPad worldwide)

- A ThunderBold port

- A Backlit keyboard (with symbols printed on each modifier key)

3g WW +1

thunderbolt - not sure

Backlit keyboard +1
  • Reply 138 of 207
    googygoogy Posts: 1member
    When Apple include CD player to Mac book air?
  • Reply 139 of 207
    realisticrealistic Posts: 1,154member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mcarling View Post

We agree up to this point.

MacBook is a noun. Air is used as an adjective. The noun gets the 's' and the adjective doesn't.

I want a 15" MacBook Air.

It is Macbook Airs just like Macbook Pros, Mac minis, Mac Pros and iPhone 4s etc. etc.
  • Reply 140 of 207
    Quote:

I support KeyNote on the iPad a lot and I'm saying your exaggerating wildly here.

Your first statement (edit: that was zunx, sorry) was that "most" Keynote and Powerpoint presentations "fail." It's patently obvious that this statement is false. The list you have above proves it in that it mentions things that "most" Keynote presentations don't even use.

If you aren't converting Powerpoint presentations to Keynote before trying to present them on the iPad you are a bit of a fool to begin with, but even more so if you use custom fonts in your presentation. Only someone who knows nothing about computers at all and hasn't read a book about Powerpoint since the 90's would use custom fonts. It's kind of a standard thing in the computer world since, like forever that the funny font you installed on your machine won't be present on someone else's machine.

Similarly, if you are foolish enough to make a presentation in something stupid like 16:9 knowing that 90% of the time you are going to be presenting through a VGA projector or sending it by email to someone else who has a different resolution, well ... I don't think I even have to finish that thought.

The average Powerpoint plays quite well, Keynotes play flawlessly. Presenter notes show up fine and I've never heard of any "disappearing." Most of your problems are likely due to conversion issues between Powerpoint and Keynote. I'd say pick a horse and go with it and all your problems will disappear.

The worst thing about presenting on an iPad is the heavy cables that have to be connected which kind of ruins the whole idea of using an iPad. Hopefully presentation halls will get Apple TV units soon and we can all use AirPlay.

I never even attempt to convert from Keynote to Powerpoint because advanced features that I use in Keynote get messed up in Powerpoint or they aren't supported. I find Keynote a good bit more powerful and advanced then Powerpoint.

My point is someone shouldn't think that Keynote on OSX and Keynote on the iPad are the same. They aren't, every issues I raised is valid and is pretty well document everywhere and anyone that uses these features knows they don't work on the iPad. Same goes with Pages and my guess is iMovie and Garageband will be the same situation.

Is it a major live altering situation no of course not but in some cases it can certainly cause you to lose work or create more work in the long run.