Apple TV updated to stream live MLB & NBA games, offer 5.1 sound with Netflix

Comments

• Reply 21 of 89
    applestudapplestud Posts: 367member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TimSteele View Post

The updates are nice but there is no mention of fixing the problem with Netflix streaming stopping with long delays. This is the only feature of Apple TV I cannot use... And don't say it is my personal network (as many posts have claimed) as there is a Wii sitting right next to it connected to the same network and it works fine.

it's your personal network
  • Reply 22 of 89
    dagamer34dagamer34 Posts: 494member
    Now if only the NFL got on top of this and also had live streaming right on the AppleTV. Then again, there's no point in announcing it now when football is in its off-season.
  • Reply 23 of 89
    Quote:

If it is the "NetFlix" servers then why does the Wii work fine ALL the time and the ATV2 never works right? Simple troubleshooting points to the problem being the ATV2.

I noticed the occasional lenghty pauses on my new ATV while streaming netfix movies. Before that I had the Netfix on PS3 setup right next to the ATV and it did the same thing on teh PS3.
  • Reply 24 of 89
    wheeleswheeles Posts: 36member
    Apple TV will never become the dominant force in the living room for several of reasons.

Firstly, where the iPod succeeded was in being able to play the primary file format of music pirates, MP3. Apple TV is not able to play the primary file format of video pirates, AVI (and it's variants). Sure, you can re-encode etc., but why bother when pretty much every other video device supports it?

Secondly many new mid-range TVs can take a USB stick, or SD card and play media files from that in an assortment of formats. Those TVs that are internet-enabled can either play streamed media or have video-on-demand services built-in. This is probably the reason why Gene Munster started to speculate about Apple launching a television as the writing was on the wall for devices like Apple TV.

Thirdly, it's still too expensive for what it is?a limited video playback device with support for very few formats.

Apple TV could have taken serious market share when it launched had it been more open to playing an assortment of formats, but Apple decided to keep it in their walled garden. Anyone buying Apple TV now is likely to be doing so over some misplaced sense of loyalty and has not looked at the multitude of alternatives.
  • Reply 25 of 89
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dagamer34 View Post

Now if only the NFL got on top of this and also had live streaming right on the AppleTV. Then again, there's no point in announcing it now when football is in its off-season.

Or maybe no season for a very long time
  • Reply 26 of 89
    aross99aross99 Posts: 95member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dbcn View Post

did they fix the bit about taking 2 hours to download an hour and a half long movie yet?

I like my ATV, and would rent a ton of movies if they started 10 min from the time I rented them, instead of 2 hrs later.

Are you using the Google DNS, or OpenDNS servers? If so, try your ISP's DNS servers. A number of people using the Google DNS and OpenDNS servers reporting having this issue, and that changing back to their ISP's servers resolved it.

Sounds impossible I know, but it has something to do with sites that have multiple distribution points around the country, and sending out the content differently depending on where you were located. Using Google DNS or OpenDNS masked your location, and caused issues with this type of streaming...

Or something like that...
  • Reply 27 of 89
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by vman69 View Post

no love for the original Apple TV user, I suppose?

As much as I love my Apple TV 1, I am afraid those devices are done getting updates from Apple's standpoint.

I loved the local storage and the ability to play the Apple TV without having to have my computer on.

I have an Apple TV 2 now, and I stream content from my iPhone or iPad. Not the best solution but it works.
  • Reply 28 of 89
    macslutmacslut Posts: 514member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jonro View Post

How nice that Apple has added Internet content that they would earn money from. Where's Pandora. I use it fairly frequently and want it on my ATV.

Yes!

And others like TuneIn Radio. My solution to that though was to just use my iPhone and stream through the Apple TV. Still, I'm hoping Apple opens the Apple TV to developers at this coming WWDC.

Also, I'd like to see Apple offer a competitive Netflix service. One monthly fee for all you can stream movies and tv shows.
  • Reply 29 of 89
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by aross99 View Post

Are you using the Google DNS, or OpenDNS servers? If so, try your ISP's DNS servers. A number of people using the Google DNS and OpenDNS servers reporting having this issue, and that changing back to their ISP's servers resolved it.

Sounds impossible I know, but it has something to do with sites that have multiple distribution points around the country, and sending out the content differently depending on where you were located. Using Google DNS or OpenDNS masked your location, and caused issues with this type of streaming...

Or something like that...

That seems like forcing us to choose the lesser of two evils. One choosing peppy downloads while letting your ISP perform DNS hijacking (something I cannot stand). Or preventing the DNS hijacking and dealing with slow streaming
  • Reply 30 of 89
    robhrobh Posts: 8member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by neiltc13 View Post

Nice to see them adding content for users outside the USA...

Oh well, I'll stick to my PS3 streaming BBC iPlayer, ITV Player, 4oD and LoveFilm.

Exactly! WTF is it with putting Rounders on AppleTV? Only in America can they get so excited about the girls alternative to cricket!!!

Come on Apple add some proper features! I've bought a FoxsatHD box and the iPlayer feature alone is whipping the ass of AppleTV.
  • Reply 31 of 89
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wheeles View Post

Apple TV will never become the dominant force in the living room for several of reasons.

Firstly, where the iPod succeeded was in being able to play the primary file format of music pirates, MP3. Apple TV is not able to play the primary file format of video pirates, AVI (and it's variants). Sure, you can re-encode etc., but why bother when pretty much every other video device supports it?

Secondly many new mid-range TVs can take a USB stick, or SD card and play media files from that in an assortment of formats. Those TVs that are internet-enabled can either play streamed media or have video-on-demand services built-in. This is probably the reason why Gene Munster started to speculate about Apple launching a television as the writing was on the wall for devices like Apple TV.

Thirdly, it's still too expensive for what it is?a limited video playback device with support for very few formats.

Apple TV could have taken serious market share when it launched had it been more open to playing an assortment of formats, but Apple decided to keep it in their walled garden. Anyone buying Apple TV now is likely to be doing so over some misplaced sense of loyalty and has not looked at the multitude of alternatives.

It doesn't sound like the Apple TV is a good solution for you but for "mainstream USA" who uses iTunes for purchasing music and videos, it is a great solution. It also does Netflix, and now MLB.TV as well.

Anyone who is willing to put media on a flash drive and plug it into their TV is not the target market for the Apple TV. You buy an Apple TV to watch Netflix, play content from iTunes, and maybe rent a movie or two from time to time. You hook it up, turn it on and it works.

Contrary to most of us here in this forum, most people don't even know the difference between an MP3 and an MP4, and could care less about the "walled garden", and certainly don't have any "misplaced loyalty" to Apple.
  • Reply 32 of 89
    john.bjohn.b Posts: 2,742member
    MLB.TV is icing on the ATV2 cake!
  • Reply 33 of 89
    theothergeofftheothergeoff Posts: 2,081member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dbcn View Post

did they fix the bit about taking 2 hours to download an hour and a half long movie yet?

I like my ATV, and would rent a ton of movies if they started 10 min from the time I rented them, instead of 2 hrs later.

when my 16mbps DSL (actually 20, but do I _ever_ see that? no......) is working, it's like 45 seconds to get the buffer primed for an HD movie.

And that is on my ATV1 (wired to my timecapsule connected to my DSL modem router).
  • Reply 34 of 89
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by johnnyb0731 View Post

That seems like forcing us to choose the lesser of two evils. One choosing peppy downloads while letting your ISP perform DNS hijacking (something I cannot stand). Or preventing the DNS hijacking and dealing with slow streaming

I agree, and I don't know that I believe that this would really be the problem, but several people seem to have posted that it resolved their issue.

I suppose you could use your ISP's DNS in your router, and put your Google/Open DNS in your Computer to override the DNS hijacking by the ISP?
  • Reply 35 of 89
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TheOtherGeoff View Post

when my 16mbps DSL (actually 20, but do I _ever_ see that? no......) is working, it's like 45 seconds to get the buffer primed for an HD movie.

And that is on my ATV1 (wired to my timecapsule connected to my DSL modem router).

Another plus for the local storage on the ATV1. I don't think the ATV2 buffers as well as the ATV1. With the ATV1 it would continue to buffer until it had the whole movie. I don't think the ATV2 does that.

It seems to me like the ATV1 just does a better job of streaming movies than the ATV2, and certainly better than streaming from Netflix.
  • Reply 36 of 89
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by johnnyb0731 View Post

You could enable BIND on your Mac since it is likely to be running anyway with ATV.
  • Reply 37 of 89
    ohcomeonohcomeon Posts: 30member
    No catch-up TV for UK users.

Even more disappointing from Apple's point of view, they didn't take the opportunity to get iTunes Extras working.
  • Reply 38 of 89
    ruckerzruckerz Posts: 58member
    IT annoys me that I can't watch local games live. I imagine all the billing is done through Apple, if I change my billing address via iTunes can I now watch local games live on the ATV 2? Or do I need to also get a proxy that's elsewhere?
  • Reply 39 of 89
    iq78iq78 Posts: 256member
    Quote:

If it is the "NetFlix" servers then why does the Wii work fine ALL the time and the ATV2 never works right? Simple troubleshooting points to the problem being the ATV2.

Well, you are one data point. I'll give you a second data point.

With my setup the Wii is always having problems, where as the aTV2 has had almost zero problems.

So, as you said, simple trouble-shooting would point to the Wii being the problem, not the aTV2.

---- OR -----

Maybe it is your router having problems with aTV2 (or my router having problems with the Wii.)

---- OR -----

You have a lemon aTV2 and I have a bum Wii.

---- OR ------

It's your network and you don't have a clue.
  • Reply 40 of 89
    libertyforalllibertyforall Posts: 1,418member
    MLB/NBA = YAWN!

What about NFL!?

Also, WHERE IS THE APPLE TV APP STORE?!

Why do I have to jailbreak the ATV just to use my Bluetooth keyboard?! This update should have turned it on!!! Also, Safari needs to be added to this device, among some other apps ala aTV Flash (black)...

Also, how about AirPlay for streaming apps to play on the ATV bigger screen from my iPhone!