Apple TV updated to stream live MLB & NBA games, offer 5.1 sound with Netflix

Comments

• Reply 41 of 89
    libertyforalllibertyforall Posts: 1,418member
    Try a wired connection instead of wireless -- same results?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by TimSteele View Post

The updates are nice but there is no mention of fixing the problem with Netflix streaming stopping with long delays. This is the only feature of Apple TV I cannot use... And don't say it is my personal network (as many posts have claimed) as there is a Wii sitting right next to it connected to the same network and it works fine.

• Reply 42 of 89
    munciemuncie Posts: 47member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by speedxdesign View Post

ESPN3. Please.

Second that. And MLS, please.
  • Reply 43 of 89
    That's a good point, me too -- I wish I could reverse AirPlay the audio out of the ATV to my Airport Express to route to a standard analog audio connection to my stereo! Should be easy for Apple to implement -- JUST DO IT APPLE!

Quote:
    Originally Posted by marokero View Post

Wonder if we will be able to play iPhone/iPod games through AirPlay and ATV. Too bad my amp doesn't have optical in, I still need some kind of D/A converter for that.

• Reply 44 of 89
    aimac1aimac1 Posts: 3member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by libertyforall View Post

Try a wired connection instead of wireless -- same results?

This is what fixed the problem for me. Connecting ATV2 via Wifi = a miserable Netflix experience. Constantly buffering. Once I moved the ATV2 near my router and plugged in via Ethernet, all of my buffering problems went away.
  • Reply 45 of 89
    Sure, you just need to install aTV Flash for new features now...

See:

http://firecore.com

Quote:
    Originally Posted by vman69 View Post

no love for the original Apple TV user, I suppose?

• Reply 46 of 89
    aimac1aimac1 Posts: 3member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by speedxdesign View Post

ESPN3. Please.

This would be amazing and would eliminate the need to have a computer hooked up to the tv.
  • Reply 47 of 89
    Well, aTV Flash (black) has Last.fm support...

New features are just a jailbreak away...

See:

http://firecore.com

Quote:
    Originally Posted by macslut View Post

Yes!

And others like TuneIn Radio. My solution to that though was to just use my iPhone and stream through the Apple TV. Still, I'm hoping Apple opens the Apple TV to developers at this coming WWDC.

Also, I'd like to see Apple offer a competitive Netflix service. One monthly fee for all you can stream movies and tv shows.

• Reply 48 of 89
    gijoeinlagijoeinla Posts: 215member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dbcn View Post

did they fix the bit about taking 2 hours to download an hour and a half long movie yet?

I like my ATV, and would rent a ton of movies if they started 10 min from the time I rented them, instead of 2 hrs later.

Dude, did YOU fix the thing that said "SWITCH FROM DIAL UP" to DSL?

I've got 18 mps via Uverse and my Apple rentals start INSTANTLY everytime. That's everytime, get it?

Apple TV rocks and is going to be Apple's next big thing.
  • Reply 49 of 89
    tbstephtbsteph Posts: 95member
    Adding 5.1 to Netflix is a welome addition. However, after a quick scan of available streaming movie content very, very few have Dolby. And, while we are discussing Netflix, anyone have any idea why so few HD movies are available? For example, Prince of Persia and Lord of the Rings are both SD.
  • Reply 50 of 89
    kesemkesem Posts: 28member
    After I downloaded the update it remained 4.1 so I did it again and got to 4.2. I like it. I'd like more radio stations or pandora.

I was able to go to Apple's web site and watch their videos on my atv, but it didn't work for the videos I tried to move from the web to the ATV via my iphone. Do the web designers have to program in the ability?

I was able to move videos I've taken on my iphone to the APV, but it took a LONG time to load. Still we're moving in the right direction.
  • Reply 51 of 89
    Add ESPN and NFL Network (RedZone) and I'll seriously consider buying one.. but they need more content for sports junkies, especially U.S. football fans. More content like History Channel, Cooking Channel, HGTV, TCM, Comedy Central, Toon Network, and PBS and local channels (if possible) would be nice too. But mainly more sports.

Football is the #1 sport in the U.S. look at how many people bought DirecTV just to get the football package... football drives sales. Now that the NFL Network has the Redzone w/o needing DirecTV a lot of those people are considering dropping their DirectTV subscription. Apple, listen to me - Football equals sales and money and subscribers. Make a deal with the NFL and a lot of men (not just tech nerds) will buy an Apple TV.
  • Reply 52 of 89
    saareksaarek Posts: 1,520member
    Nice update if you're American.... As usual with the Apple TV nothing of any real benefit to the many owners outside of the US.

Would it really hurt Apple to improve the device from an international user perspective?

I'm aware that it's a "hobby" product, but it's highly annoying that outside of the US we pay significantly more for a product that offers significantly less!

I love my Apple TV, I really do, but sometimes i can't help but feel shafted by Apple.
  • Reply 53 of 89
    mactelmactel Posts: 1,275member
    My only interest is Netflix so at least I got something.
  • Reply 54 of 89
    desarcdesarc Posts: 642member
    aww come on Apple. add support for NHL Gamecenter. you KNOW there have to be literally tens of appleTV owners other than myself that are dying for it.
  • Reply 55 of 89
    Does anyone know if other boxes - like Boxee, Roku, Tivo, Wii, xBox, Playstation, etc. - also offer MLB game streaming?
  • Reply 56 of 89
    john.bjohn.b Posts: 2,742member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mister Snitch View Post

Does anyone know if other boxes - like Boxee, Roku, Tivo, Wii, xBox, Playstation, etc. - also offer MLB game streaming?

http://mlb.mlb.com/mlb/subscriptions/devices.jsp

You'll have to click around to see if the MLB.TV is available for your device or if they only offer certain types of apps instead. The site designer obviously didn't take his Ritalin....
  • Reply 57 of 89
    iguesssoiguessso Posts: 132member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by libertyforall View Post

Also, how about AirPlay for streaming apps to play on the ATV bigger screen from my iPhone!

I was going to ask about HuluPlus and AirPlay, not being an ATV owner (yet).

So AirPlay doesn't work with streaming apps?
  • Reply 58 of 89
    postulantpostulant Posts: 1,272member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iGuessSo View Post

I was going to ask about HuluPlus and AirPlay, not being an ATV owner (yet).

So AirPlay doesn't work with streaming apps?

It works with streaming apps - so far I've used PBS and VEVO. Hulu hasn't implemented AirPlay to work with their app and I really don't think they will - I really wish they would, though.
  • Reply 59 of 89
    I would like RedBox on ATV -- $1 for ALL MOVIES!

Quote:
    Originally Posted by macslut View Post

Also, I'd like to see Apple offer a competitive Netflix service. One monthly fee for all you can stream movies and tv shows.

• Reply 60 of 89
    pmcdpmcd Posts: 396member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by saarek View Post

Nice update if you're American.... As usual with the Apple TV nothing of any real benefit to the many owners outside of the US.

Would it really hurt Apple to improve the device from an international user perspective?

I'm aware that it's a "hobby" product, but it's highly annoying that outside of the US we pay significantly more for a product that offers significantly less!

I love my Apple TV, I really do, but sometimes i can't help but feel shafted by Apple.

There are very simple ways to access US content if you looked into that. However, have you considered that it might be local political issues preventing distribution of certain content via the ATV? That is certainly the case in Canada. Distribution rights are very complicated. I really doubt that Apple is conspiring to prevent iPlayer on the ATV. I happen to like UK programming but I can't view it from here. I also can't rent TV shows for 99 cents on the ATV2. Every media player in the world is having problems with the way the world is divided. Of course many of them will play any type of codec, and it's pretty clear why that is.

philip