Apple's iPad 2 at Walmart; News Corp subscribers; Canon and Thunderbolt

Posted:
in iPad edited January 2014
On the eve of the iPad 2 launch, Apple's latest touchscreen tablet has already shown up on shelves at Walmart, though customers were unable to purchase it. News Corp. announced that it has acquired over 200,000 subscribers to the Wall Street Journal on the iPad and other tablets. Finally, Canon has spoken out in support of Intel's new Thunderbolt interconnect technology.

iPad on shelves

Reports emerged on Thursday that some Walmart retail stores have already begun stocking the iPad 2 on shelves ahead of the device's 5:00 p.m. release on Friday. Customers who attempted to purchase the device, however, have reported that the store's checkout system was unable to process the purchase.

Though, in the past, big box retailers have been known to accidentally sell devices before their scheduled release dates, Apple's strict policies regarding product launches usually prevent such occurrences.

Friday's launch is generally expected to draw crowds, although online orders, which begin at 1 a.m. PT, 4 a.m. ET, and wider distribution to retail outlets such as Walmart, Target and Best Buy could reduce line lengths.

Source: Anthony Carretero

As of 5 p.m. on Thursday, six people were waiting in line at Apple's flagship Fifth Avenue retail store in New York City, according to Fortune.

News Corp tablet subscribers

Speaking to reporters in Boston on Thursday, The Wall Street Journal Publisher Les Hinton revealed that the number of paid subscribers to the Journal on tablet devices and e-readers has quadrupled to 200,000 in the past year, Reuters reports.

Hinton said he was pleasantly surprised by the growing number of consumers willing to pay for content on tablets.

"The actual proliferation of these [devices] is so rapid," said Hinton. "What surprised us is that other periodicals than ours (also) seem to be getting good traction" for their own tablet content.

According to the report, the Journal, which boasts print edition circulation numbers of 1.6 million, charges a subscription rate of $3.99 a week for access to the newspaper's content.

In addition to the Journal, News Corp. is also hoping to attract iPad users to its iPad-only publication The Daily.

Canon and Thunderbolt

Canon executive Hiroo Edakubo has vocalized support for Intel's high-speed I/O technology, but stopped short of formally announcing any plans to incorporate it into Canon devices.

"We are excited about Thunderbolt technology and feel it will bring new levels of performance and simplicity to the video creation market," said Edakubo, who serves as Group Executive of Canon's Video Products Group.

According to a press release from Intel highlighting Edakubo's comments, Canon is "looking to build products" using Thunderbolt.

Edakubo's statement comes on the heels of reports that Apple and Canon may enter a new collaboration, possibly related to digital photography and video.

Thunderbolt pairs PCI Express with Apple's Mini DisplayPort standard to achieve transfer speeds of up to 10Gbps. Apple became the first computer maker to make use of the technology with its latest batch of MacBook Pros.

Given that Intel expects Thunderbolt implementations from other manufacturers to arrive in early 2012, the Mac maker could have a year long head start on its competitors.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 28
    jason98jason98 Posts: 768member
    There is something I do not understand in the world of retails.

Crappy pcs at Costco and iPads in Walmart.
  • Reply 2 of 28
    adonissmuadonissmu Posts: 1,776member
    I was skeptical about Ipad at first but I am in love with it. I've got 1000 bucks set aside just for this device.
  • Reply 3 of 28
    mdriftmeyermdriftmeyer Posts: 7,503member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jason98 View Post

There is something I do not understand in the world of retails.

Crappy pcs at Costco and iPads in Walmart.

Costco likes to dictate the price point and under cut the competition. Apple wasn't into that bs.
  • Reply 4 of 28
    Apple exclusivity for thunderbolt is a sure way to have the industry pass on adopting it. Dumb move.
  • Reply 5 of 28
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by schmidm77 View Post

Apple exclusivity for thunderbolt is a sure way to have the industry pass on adopting it. Dumb move.

Yeah, because no one has ever used or heard of firewire.
  • Reply 6 of 28
    john.bjohn.b Posts: 2,742member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Intel has said that Thunderbolt will remain an Apple exclusive until 2012, giving the Mac maker a year long head start on its competitors.

Not true. Intel specifically debunked this.

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2380954,00.asp

http://www.engadget.com/2011/02/24/i...o-lacie-and-p/

The only thing Apple has is a head start on the technology.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by schmidm77 View Post

What are you talking about? It says right in the body of the story that Canon is very interested in Thunderbolt for their video creation tools:

Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Canon executive Hiroo Edakubo has vocalized support for Intel's high-speed I/O technology, but stopped short of formally announcing any plans to incorporate the it into Canon devices.

"We are excited about Thunderbolt technology and feel it will bring new levels of performance and simplicity to the video creation market," said Edakubo, who serves as Group Executive of Canon's Video Products Group.

• Reply 7 of 28
    nasseraenasserae Posts: 3,167member
    The iPad 2 is so awesome that I will buy two each for the two persons in our household! J/k

I will get one this weekend from Best Buy or Walmart if I can. Otherwise I will order online.
  • Reply 8 of 28
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    Damn, the fifth ave. store was where I was going to go to get my iPad, and some knuckleheads are already waiting. The weather is horrible right now, no way would I wait in line overnight. It's raining pretty hard, it's windy and it's not exactly warm outside.

I want an iPad2, but I can wait a few days, if I can't get one tomorrow.

And that girl who is #1 in line, she is basically just a scalper, is that even legal?

What is stopping some homeless bums and crack addicts from lining up and then selling their places? That would be no different than what that girl is doing.
  • Reply 9 of 28
    No surprise that Canon would recognize advanced technology, as it was Canon that made the precursor to today's Macs after NeXT sold their hardware division to Canon! It had an advanced video sub-system for Intel systems at the time with their NEXTSTEP-optimized workstations...

I used to own a Canon object.station 41 running NEXTSTEP and then OPENSTEP for MACH.

Flashback:

http://www.kevra.org/TheBestOfNext/T...station41.html
  • Reply 10 of 28
    postulantpostulant Posts: 1,272member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by NasserAE View Post

The iPad 2 is so awesome that I will buy two each for the two persons in our household! J/k

I will get one this weekend from Best Buy or Walmart if I can. Otherwise I will order online.

I see what you did there!

Were you in the military?
  • Reply 11 of 28
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Postulant View Post

I see what you did there!

Were you in the military?

Don?t forget to take pictures from Google Images and then watermark them with your forum alias to prove you own them.
  • Reply 12 of 28
    aaronjaaronj Posts: 1,595member
    I am so excited for tonight. This will be my first iPad, and I'm just psyched! I received my ATV2 today, and played with it a lot. It's a fun little device. Now, in a bit less than 2-1/2 hours, I can order an iPad!

This is a nice 24-hour period.
  • Reply 13 of 28
    Quote:

Is that a DaHarder joke?

Quote:

Yeah, I am going to order 2 online in about 2 1/2 hours... then troll the iPad resellers tomorrow night to see if I can get lucky.
  • Reply 14 of 28
    eluardeluard Posts: 319member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

Damn, the fifth ave. store was where I was going to go to get my iPad, and some knuckleheads are already waiting. The weather is horrible right now, no way would I wait in line overnight. It's raining pretty hard, it's windy and it's not exactly warm outside.

And that girl who is #1 in line, she is basically just a scalper, is that even legal?

What is stopping some homeless bums and crack addicts from lining up and then selling their places? That would be no different than what that girl is doing.

Funniest comment I have seen here in a long while. Crack addicts buying up iPad's to sell them at a profit!
  • Reply 15 of 28
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Eluard View Post

Crack addicts buying up iPad's to sell them at a profit!

Crack addicts don't have money to buy any iPads, they already spent all of their money on crack.

I meant that people are selling their place in line. The article said that the girl who was waiting was already offered $650 for her spot, just for standing there overnight! And she was hoping to get $700!

She will spend two nights on the sidewalk, the second one quite soggy. But she's not there to buy an iPad. Her spot is for sale. She'll trade it for cash at 3 p.m. Friday, two hours before the doors open. She's had offers as high as $650, but she's holding out for $700.
  • Reply 16 of 28
    mdriftmeyermdriftmeyer Posts: 7,503member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by libertyforall View Post

No surprise that Canon would recognize advanced technology, as it was Canon that made the precursor to today's Macs after NeXT sold their hardware division to Canon! It had an advanced video sub-system for Intel systems at the time with their NEXTSTEP-optimized workstations...

I used to own a Canon object.station 41 running NEXTSTEP and then OPENSTEP for MACH.

Flashback:

http://www.kevra.org/TheBestOfNext/T...station41.html

Those were solid Pentium DX4-100 boxes by Canon, though still overpriced. We had several of them at NeXT even after the merger with Apple.
  • Reply 17 of 28
    Quote:

Now, now. Don't be starting stuff. You know he'll be around talking stupid soon enough.
  • Reply 18 of 28
    I stopped by my local Wal-martian landing zone on my way to work, at about ten 'til eight. There was nobody working in electronics, but I could see iPad boxes behind the counter. There was also a sign on the counter stating that they were going on sale at 5:00 PM.

I found some guy stocking diapers 3 aisles over and asked him whether he could sell me an iPad. He moseyed back to electronics and fumbled through his keys and finally found the one for the cabinet. He asked me which one I wanted. Even invited me behind the counter to choose because he had no clue. They had 4 new ones on hand: 2 Wi-fi and 2 AT&T.

I picked the 32 GB Wi-fi and that's when it all came apart. He tried to scan the UPC. No dice. Tried 3 more times. Same result. He picked up the phone and called the manager on duty. I could only hear one side of the conversation, but I surmise that the other side went something like, "do you know how to read that sign on the counter, moron?"

"Sorry, sir, you can't buy this until 5:00."

So I guess I'm waiting for my online order to ship...
  • Reply 19 of 28
    tbelltbell Posts: 3,146member
    So does Walmart. Walmart will go so far to tell a manufacturer who makes product in America to go build in China in order to carry the product in Walmart. With Apple, however, Walmart has to make an exception because Apple's products are popular. Apple wants Walmart but doesn't need it.

The real issue was Apple wasn't treating Cosco as well as other partners like Best Buy, Target, and Walmart. It would send them inventory first, and offer them special discounts, while excluding Cosco. Cosco got feed up and walked.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by mdriftmeyer View Post

Costco likes to dictate the price point and under cut the competition. Apple wasn't into that bs.

• Reply 20 of 28
    adonissmuadonissmu Posts: 1,776member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

I am headed to that store after my dr. Appt. I want the whole apple experience.