Shortages of Apple's iPad and iPhone to bleed into June quarter following Japan tsunami

Comments

• Reply 21 of 114
    povilaspovilas Posts: 473member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Logisticaldron View Post

If you're a racist, sure.

I think you were reading a different post then.
  • Reply 22 of 114
    Quote:

One can joke about races without being a racist...
  • Reply 23 of 114
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:

The only one racist here is you - if you think calling an Asian person an Asian is racist. He's saying he thinks they are scalpers because he's right.
  • Reply 24 of 114
    womble2k2womble2k2 Posts: 118member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

He might now be a best of predictors, but how do you know that?

Apple does not publically state who their suppliers are, hence why the report reads;

Quote:

Munster said that Mitsubishi Gas Chemical Co, which he believes is Apple's primary supplier of BT resin

Phil
  • Reply 25 of 114
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by veblen View Post

Do you know of any other company that has been vocal about how the earthquake has affected them? It's still pretty early.

My thoughts were more about the iPad launch regardless of the earthquake.
  • Reply 26 of 114
    christophbchristophb Posts: 1,482member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MobileMe View Post

Thats true, but these stockholders don't care about that... They don't care about life unless their life is in tragedy... but again what good is all this money, if your entire family is wiped out? what about the charity? ... its more then just money, money is one part of society not all, and if these greedy inconsiderate bastered shareholders, want to hold a company to the fire because of their supplies are limited due to a serious life threatening situation, then screw them man. forget those shareholders and their disregard for life.

Fuck their money

Pretty broad brush.
  • Reply 27 of 114
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

I am trying to that, but with my carbon footprint.

That's dealt with easily enough: Sponsor an energy efficiency project in, say, Chennai or Beijing.
  • Reply 28 of 114
    mobilememobileme Posts: 288member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mrpoge View Post

You're missing the point. Really it's all about whether or not I can get an iPad ASAP without any supply chain disruptions.

This kind of midset dooms people in the West. The Bubble living westerners, who go in a panic when a winter storm is coming, will be utterly clueless when a earthquake or serious disaster happens.... Look at Katrina , rich america can't even help their citizens because they viewed those people as "not my problem" individuals... not to mention the undercover racism towards that area... let that be a affluent rich area and I bet the response would have been different.
  • Reply 29 of 114
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

He's saying he thinks they are scalpers because he's right.

I don't just think that they were scalpers, I know that for a fact.

One of the people I was waiting with was a Chinese guy, and he wasn't a scalper. He was just a Mac fan, just like me. And he gave me realtime translation of some of the scalper's conversations.

And here's a link to a major newspaper detailing the Asian scalpers.

A cutthroat Asian group has set its crosshairs on the flagship Apple store on Fifth Avenue at 59th -- scoring nearly every iPad 2 it can get its hands since the hot gizmo went on sale last week, to re-peddle at exorbitant prices here and in China.

The illicit, highly orchestrated scheme was in full gear yesterday, with a ringleader doling out massive wads of $100 bills to about five cohorts.

Read more: http://www.nypost.com/p/news/local/i...#ixzz1GriMVxmF
  • Reply 30 of 114
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jonatan View Post

One can joke about races without being a racist...

If he wasn?t being racist when the repeated ?Asain scalpers? and assumption that he knew that all the Asians were scalpers. Why not just scalpers, why are Asians so vilified in his post to the extent that he made a silly comment about buying up all the chopsticks so he stick it to all Asians because of some that stood in line on a cold morning waiting for an iPad? You really think his comment wasn?t arrogantly narrow-minded? I don?t see how anyone could read it any other way.
  • Reply 31 of 114
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MobileMe View Post

lol

Well, whatever, I also took the plunge today and arrived at 5:00 am at Apple store in the Mall in Delaware. There were only about 20 vehicles in the car-park, with people waiting. As I approached the Mall door, police officers there told (in typical rude fashion) to us return and wait in our cars, until the mall opened the doors at 7:00. This apparently was on instruction from Christiana Mall 'management' By almost 7:00, hundreds were waiting in their cars, and for the stupid RUN to the door, kind of the old formula 1 start, but in reverse. So I see a lady pushed to the floor, then we were squeezed through a single door.

Needless to say Rather than being 20th in line, I was probably 200th. Now there was certainly lots of families in line, of course not enough iPads, so I left at 8:30

Scalpers, stupid management, and silly police tactics meant that those who had made the effort to arrive early enough were denied. I can run too, but this is getting to be ridiculous.

And being in line, would it not make more sense, and be fairer for Apple to hold off shipments for week or so, so those of us that ordered on line much earlier (like within the first 48 hours) were serviced first? Even I wonder of Apple is enjoying the publicity even more, at consumers expense.

just a thought
  • Reply 32 of 114
    zoetmbzoetmb Posts: 2,654member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by frugality View Post

But in the end it's all about my money. How is this going to affect my 401k? Will I be able to retire to the cream-of-the-crop golf condo community in Scottsdale, or not?

Maybe it's just will I have enough money in retirement to pay my basic living expenses. Maybe it's that even when the Dow hit a recent high of 11,400 a few weeks back, that was still almost 3000 points below its all-time peak in October of 2007 and that's 25% below where we were almost four years ago and it's painful to see it take another big hit. And maybe, even though one is willing and able to continue working, that there's few jobs for such people, because of both the state of the economy and bias against older people (if only because their experience generally gets them more money), so they have no choice but to retire.

That's not to say that I don't care about what's happening in Japan. Whatever I'm facing economically is trivial compared to the horrors that people in Northern Japan are facing. Hundreds of thousands homeless. Homes and factories gone or damaged that will probably take years to rebuild. Lack of adequate power for years to come, since those damaged reactors can never be put back online. Damage far greater than that the U.S. experienced during 9/11. Thousands, maybe even tens of thousands dead. A very aging population, especially in the areas hit. Nuclear radiation...fears of aftershocks and/or another earthquake.

But all that doesn't mean that another fall in the worldwide economy isn't going to have big negative impact on people here - both on workers and investors. My bet is that you're below 40. If I were still below 40, I wouldn't be too worried about my investments (because I barely had any back then.) But every change in my asset values has big impact on whether I'm going to have enough money to live on in my retirement, especially if I live long.

Meanwhile, I think that even if there are some parts shortages, Apple will do fine in the long run. When the stock went down yesterday, I bought a few more shares. Seemed like a bargain to me.
  • Reply 33 of 114
    nceencee Posts: 857member
    Apple and others aren't dumb. If getting over there and rolling up their sleeves is going to help, you can be sure, they will send folks over to do just that.

Skip
  • Reply 34 of 114
    Which NYC store will prob give me the best chance of getting an Ipad tomorrow (friday)? Im closer to the one on 5th (cube) followed by the one on 68th (Lincoln Center) Also, what time should I get out there? 4am , 5am?

Any info will be much appreciated!
  • Reply 35 of 114
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Right_said_fred View Post

Well, whatever, I also took the plunge today and arrived at 5:00 am at Apple store in the Mall in Delaware. There were only about 20 vehicles in the car-park, with people waiting. As I approached the Mall door, police officers there told (in typical rude fashion) to us return and wait in our cars, until the mall opened the doors at 7:00. This apparently was on instruction from Christiana Mall 'management' By almost 7:00, hundreds were waiting in their cars, and for the stupid RUN to the door, kind of the old formula 1 start, but in reverse. So I see a lady pushed to the floor, then we were squeezed through a single door.

Needless to say Rather than being 20th in line, I was probably 200th. Now there was certainly lots of families in line, of course not enough iPads, so I left at 8:30

Scalpers, stupid management, and silly police tactics meant that those who had made the effort to arrive early enough were denied. I can run too, but this is getting to be ridiculous.

And being in line, would it not make more sense, and be fairer for Apple to hold off shipments for week or so, so those of us that ordered on line much earlier (like within the first 48 hours) were serviced first? Even I wonder of Apple is enjoying the publicity even more, at consumers expense.

just a thought

wow your a local, I use to work at the christiana mall apple store, before they got the big new store near that nordstrams, I worked at the smaller store, even before the mall did a re-vamp... The "scalping thing" is a personal thing, I have no problem with them doing that, but when I was in line for iPad 1, they actually wanted me to help them, I said "nah" but have fun.

I say don't include me in your scheme, not to mention ALL apple employees know what they're about, when I worked their, all I said was how many iPhones do you want?? They're the reason the iPhone supply was always limited to 2 per person.
  • Reply 36 of 114
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ChristophB View Post

Pretty broad brush.

Its called truth bro
  • Reply 37 of 114
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jonatan View Post

It's awfully quiet from Apple regarding sales/stocks/shortages.

Apple has never been vocal about shipments etc.

As for Munster, he has no actual facts. He is speaking of companies he is guessing are supplying to Apple but he could be wrong. it could also be that he is right but Apple has bulked ordered and everything is already in China and just awaiting assembly and that is what is holding things up. Cause after all, these are humans not robots.

It is possible that Apple is monitoring to make sure Foxconn isn't pushing the lines too hard or fast (and thus possibly screwing up units with sloppy work) and forcing too much OT etc on the workers to produce way over quota etc.

As for the issue of scalpers, I'm thinking Apple should go to reservations only for here out. It would reduce the lines cause folks wouldn't show up until they have a unit on hand waiting for them for the day and it would cut back on scalpers cause they won't go to that much fuss. Plus the system can monitor for duplicate names, emails, etc and freeze reservations if it sees a match.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Kravemas View Post

Which NYC store will prob give me the best chance of getting an Ipad tomorrow (friday)? Im closer to the one on 5th (cube) followed by the one on 68th (Lincoln Center) Also, what time should I get out there? 4am , 5am?

New York is the worst place to go. Because you'll have to get there more like 6pm today to be in line for tomorrow. On the plus side, you could always narc if you see suspicious stuff that could be scalpers. Like folks going down the line offering cash for second units etc. Maybe if someone did that, the staff would be able to cut those folks off. After all it is legal to say no to a customer and refuse them service. Even with cold hard cash in their hands. Although I am surprised there are cops doing traffic control and staff already out there watching for that kind of stuff. Especially after these articles. So that might be settled by now. But the lines will still be massive
  • Reply 38 of 114
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Right_said_fred View Post

Even I wonder of Apple is enjoying the publicity even more, at consumers expense.

just a thought

How does that make sense? Apple wants to get as many iPads into consumers hands as possible. That?s how they make money! They don?t want consumers to get discouraged or annoyed or trampled. That?s not how they make money! The mall is clearly at fault for issuing a stupid rule that not only defeats the first-come-first-serve for people willing to arrive early to wait in line, but also makes the situation harmful and a potential lawsuit if people can?t wait quietly in queue but have to race from their cars and risk being trampled, as you stated. I?m not sure how Apple could be at fault for that poor decision.
  • Reply 39 of 114
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Kravemas View Post

I visited the Lincoln Center store first today, as I assumed that would give me the best chance, but they had nothing today, zero iPads. And even that store has now become infested with scalpers. I got there at 6 am today and I wasn't even close to getting one, if they had had any in stock. So you'll probably have to get there a lot earlier than that. Remember, you're competing against hundreds of people who are all part of a gang. They can just make a phone call and Boom! 50 people show up.

The one on Fifth Ave is insane, and don't be surprised if thousands are waiting there with the majority also being sleazy scalpers.

The best you can do is just to choose one, arrive real early, and hope to get lucky.
  • Reply 40 of 114
    adonissmuadonissmu Posts: 1,776member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

I finally made an effort this morning to get an iPad and was unsuccessful.

I arrived at the first Apple store this morning at 6 am and there were already about 300 people ahead of me in line. It was ridiculous, scalper after scalper. I would venture to guess that at least 75% of the crowd were Asian scalpers. Many of them had probably never even touched a computer before in their entire life. There were lots of real old people waiting also. Then came the announcement that there would be no iPads today at all!

So I jumped in a cab along with a few other people whom I had met on the line and we headed down to another Apple store which was near by. At 6:45 am there were about 400 people ahead in line already. It was also full of Asian scalper after Asian scalper. It looked like entire families were there. Insane! Two Apple employees came out at about 8:00 am and let people know where the cut off point for the line was. By that time, close to 1,000 people were waiting in line. I was way behind the cut off point, so I just left.

I'm not going to bother to get an iPad anytime soon from any Apple store. It's a waste of time to be spending hours waiting just to come up empty handed. Those scalpers are losers and have nothing better to do with their time than to spend 12 hours waiting each day. They camp out every single day.

I'm thinking about buying up every single chop stick in New York. After that, I will start selling them for $10.00 a stick. That's per single stick, not per pair. That'll teach those scalpers and the chop stick shortage will surely cause them numerous hardships and problems. And it certainly wouldn't be illegal if I did exactly that.

The scalper situation is annoying. This is why they should do one big international release to cut off the scalping. That's the only thing that will solve the issue. After 3/25 the scalping is going to go down.