Shortages of Apple's iPad and iPhone to bleed into June quarter following Japan tsunami

12346»

Comments

• Reply 101 of 114
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    deleted
  • Reply 102 of 114
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Holy crap you guys are nuts
  • Reply 103 of 114
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

I know, especially compared to you and your pal Apple ][.
  • Reply 104 of 114
    imsjimsj Posts: 5member
    Hello, I have been a passive reader of AI for few years. From time to time, I see really good posts. This post is by far the best I read.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by cgc0202 View Post

So, you have been posting that you have been to this store and that store since Friday. and you just decided today is the time to buy your iPad? How much time have you spent already?

I do not doubt for a second that there are scalpers, but where in the world did you look at people and you know without a doubt that "75% of the crowd were Asian scalpers"?

When and how did you ever get these powers???

And, because they are Asians, they must be scalpers? They could not be Asian Americans who have as much right to own an iPad2 like everyone else? Have you even taken the time to look at the ethnic demographics of metro areas recently?

Here's a dose of reality for you. If someone in another part of the world is willing to spend money to get hold of an iPad2, and willing to use any means to do that in a free-market world, what is so wrong about that?

Should arrogant Americans feel so entitled that because they want something they must have it first at the price they want, and the rest of the world be dammed? By the way, here's another news for you, it is not only Asians paying higher price to get hold of an iPad2 now.

Again, where did you get your new powers to divine people's lives, just by looking at them? You judge people simply by looking at them? You might be surprised that some actually may be even richer than you or your entire family or clan. Not everyone flaunts their wealth or posts about how they could afford an iPad.

I was surprised myself with the number of Asians and African Americans and older people who were at the Boylston Apple Store last Friday, and they were among those who waited patiently. They were the ones who spent time, asking this and that, before a purchase.

I have not talked to everyone of them, but it is not difficult to observe and overhear conversations. And here's a news for you -- one that I actually talked to never used a computer before (he just bought a Dell) and never even had internet (he was debating whether to have comcast or verizon). He lives in Ashmont, very far from the Boylston Apple store, it would take two subway rides. Ashmont is a place in Boston associated with a "socio-economic reputation" to be poor and crime-ridden but really stereotyping. The African American guy just retired. He was dressed simply. To be among the first, he must have left his home about noon, in a bad weather and lined up to be among the first to be let in, along with many other older people, apart from the usual mix.

How exactly he found the Apple Boylston Store, and chose it over the other Apple Stores was an interesting issue to me because you have to be online or must know someone to have been there to find it. This means that within his community, lumped as a bad neighborhood by even many Bostonians must know about Apple, and the latest products of Apple. So, yeah. even poor people buy "costly" Apple products, like the iPad2, because in the case of this older guy that I met, he thought it was the best for his needs. And here is another kicker, he may not know computers but he was not illiterate. He knew African American authors that were not mainstream and want to use the iPad mainly for reading (based from his initial tutorials with the Apple staff. When we talked briefly on what exactly he wanted to do with it, he stated he wanted to do some writing, including writing some music. And so, I introduced him to the possibilities of the Garage Band. He got even more excited.

But looking at him, without knowing him and talking to him, he could have been easily one of the poor people you might have lumped derisively as those waiting in line, who have no reason to be there but to scalp.

He left at around 8:30 pm, after spending more than 3 hours after purchasing his iPad. In that crowded setting, a blue-shirted Apple staff spent more than three hours with this "clueless" guy who never had a computer before. That says something about Apple staff.

This African American would be typical of what you described and derided so dismissively. You might say he is an exception. But not really. I happen to have just started my One-to-One, and have been at the store since Friday.

i go there during my free time later in the afternoon. Quite a number of people attending the one-to-one sessions, as well as the tutorials and seminars, based on their attire, you might lump as among the clueless and poor people. I do not know about their economic status, but they were not hesitant to admit that the are clueless of their technology, even their new "Apple toy". And they get so excited when they learn something new they have not done before.

But, they know what they want to do with it, and bought an Apple product for the first time and want to learn about how they can use it to do specific stuff -- mostly doing email, creating electronic albums, videos. And yes, older people who must have lost their jobs and are writing their resumes again, maybe for the first time. The one-to-one teachers and tutors patiently guiding them.

We have no lines in Boston anymore, with four Apple Stores to choose from that are accessible using the subway, I think there is another Apple Store in Massachusetts. And there are many outlets like Best Buy and Target (two near my place). If you really spent as much time as you are saying, there are cheap trains and buses as well as airlines flying directly from New York. Take a weekend, our weather has been good recently. I have never tried it myself but the trip by bus, according to some friends who tried it is about an hour or so. The train is less that two hours. Both stop at stations that connect directly to the subways, and bring you conveniently to the Apple Stores, with just a short walk.

Do you even think or read? Based from how you describe yourself (well at least definitely not one to want to pay what Asians and other non-Americans from all over the world were willing to pay to get the iPad2 now), but billionaires like the Hunt Brothers have attempted to "own" all the silver supplies in the world and lost their shirt doing it.

And, here's the kicker, it is far easier to corner the entire supply of gold, silver and diamonds in the world than to corner the market of chopsticks even in New York City.

Do you want to know why?

CGC

• Reply 105 of 114
    Ditto.

Originally Posted by Ireland

• Reply 106 of 114
    Another excellent reply in this read. Bravo!

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Flaneur View Post

Quote:
    Originally Posted by bigpics View Post

Yep. That's exactly what I'm certain all crematorium owners are hoping for. Probably why they all went into business, right? And all contractors who operate in zones where there are hurricanes.

Sheesh!!

Capitalism has defects, certainly - many and we're trying to figure out how to cope with those. But in societies where it's been eliminated or suppressed a whole other set of problems and side effects exists.

Take South Korea - again, an imperfect society - and "greedy shareholder free" North Korea as examples. If the DMZ were suddenly opened to allow totally free movement in either direction, which direction do you think 99% of the movees would migrate??

Without sufficient capital to advance energy, ecology management and other technologies in a world of 7 billion increasingly interconnected people all with aspirations for a decent standard of living (shame on them, according to some posting here!), there's no feasible way to do that.

Abandoning our entire way of life in a back to Eden movement would result by far in the largest catastrophe the world has ever known. Not only would the balance of the pre-human world be suddenly restored, we'd eat all the bark off the trees and every critter moving in the process of billions of starving, ill people.

And even if the dust settled, how many here would trade our lifespans and options for living - for 25 year life spans in caves punctuated by periods of famine and disease - the way of things for most of human history and pre-history. Because anything more would only start the cycle of development again. That is, some damn fool would start to get ideas for improving things and then........

The human race made a Faustian bargain with economic systems and resource usage when it adopted fire, the wheel, agriculture and language - and while there was a time we could have returned to a pastoral, tribal existence without such consequences (tho' a time when we lacked the scientific/technology base to understand the ecosphere in terms of science, tho' granted, there were Thoreaus who grasped some of it on a spirtual and philosophical level, and some societies which had a real relationship with nature that most have either always lacked or lost) - it was hundreds of years ago.

Ecological sustainability is inextricably interlinked to "economic sustainability." The failure of the left to grasp the role of wisely managing the world's "debt footprint" and banking wealth for R&D and "rainy day" savings is - in both the short and long term - as at least as dangerous as the right's failure to see the ecological impact of untrammeled resource exploitation.

And considering us from the rich to the poor, without a healthy economy with the human, scientific and monetary resources to develop things like, say, fuel cells, someday there won't be food stamps. Or libraries or parks or whole lotta things we take for granted, but which don't "grow on trees," except in well-managed orchards.

And neither do efficient extractors of solar or any other advanced - less dangerous and disruptive sources of energy - nor machinery that will sip instead of swig it - nor allow a transition to a post-max raw consumption economy that doesn't involve mass suffering, resource wars and much worse.

I won't make an assumption and slam you, but I will ask: do you have a specific objection to the concept of "doing well by doing good"? I don't.

Win-win-win solutions, i.e., the inventors, managers, stockholders, consumers, society and the planet are where we need to focus - on what we have in common, rather than on the many things which will always tend to separate us until utopia arrives - which will be... ...never.

And not to slam art, as I am an artist of sorts, but the world will not be solely saved by whiny would be artists "sittin' round the floor, makin' up songs about bein' poor" (-Frank Zappa). Inventors, entrepreneurs, investors, and many other more ordinary types acting with a degree of enlightened self-interest are a very important part of the human quilt.

The most thoughtful, reasoned post on this in the thread. Thank you for spreading the gift of a bit of perspective.

You didn't mention Japan's existing debt load - which they took on voluntarily in a democratic country - the greatest of any developed economy - which is going to severely hamper their ability to mount an effective recovery. Which only adds to the economic ripples from this event - another "invisible" cloud which i going to spread as far as any radioactive release - and cause greater or lesser loss and harm to most of us on the globe whether we "feel" it or not.

We're as seriously overextended on the big Mastercard in the Sky as we are on the balance of oxygen and CO2 in the atmosphere, to name one ecological overextension. And they are not separable problems.

Analogies between Japan's earthquake and the world's financial shock have a great deal of validity. An implosion of the perceived values of the world's paper currencies would cause suffering from which there will be no hiding.

It's called incredible cynicism, "bro."

By my calculations "the west and the rest of the world" = humanity. So that would make your point..... ???? ....if it's that we're by nature tribal and distrustful of anyone we don't recognize as a member of our own, that's a diddly-damn DNA fact borne out by all of history. And a re-reading (or a watch of either film version) of Lord of the Flies would reinforce how thin a line all of cultural advances are when each new baby comes into the world equipped with the same tendencies our ancestors bequeathed us from the plains of Africa.

To me simply another reason why we need the resources to ensure we keep delivering our accumulating layer of knowledge and philosophy and culture to each new generation.

"Greedy shareholders" are one of the primary reasons you're using modern electronics to post your bile to the entire world likely from a well-fed and reasonably comfy location. Without "GS's" - and highly educated, reasonably compensated scientists, engineers, managers, bankers, production-line workers, etc., where would multi-billion dollar chip fabs (to name one component of an incredibly elaborated system all based on research and economic development) come from?

Not from the government, which would have no tax revenue without wealth to be taxed to spend on such things (as if a bureaucracy would ever have had the vision to develop such things in the first place) - nearly all basic scientific advances have come from outside of such structures, and in cases where they have (like DARPA and the internet, NASA and space - from which we get not only geosynchronous communications satellites, weather satellites and much of the key data collection on the ecology) the great majority of the work was still done by private parties and only fostered by a collective will to utilize their work.

And, just for the record, the (private and public) financing of all the components of our vast and varied modern medical system "has saved countless people from death."

Again valuing money OR life is simply not an either/or situation. I'm expecting it will be lost on your binary value system, but I've done my best to sketch out a few of the many reasons above.

• Reply 107 of 114
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by IMSJ View Post

Hello, I have been a passive reader of AI for few years. From time to time, I see really good posts. This post is by far the best I read.

I, for one, am glad to hear from you. And I agree about CGC and bigpics.
  • Reply 108 of 114
    aeolianaeolian Posts: 189member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

I finally made an effort this morning to get an iPad and was unsuccessful.

I arrived at the first Apple store this morning at 6 am and there were already about 300 people ahead of me in line. It was ridiculous, scalper after scalper. I would venture to guess that at least 75% of the crowd were Asian scalpers. Many of them had probably never even touched a computer before in their entire life. There were lots of real old people waiting also. Then came the announcement that there would be no iPads today at all!

So I jumped in a cab along with a few other people whom I had met on the line and we headed down to another Apple store which was near by. At 6:45 am there were about 400 people ahead in line already. It was also full of Asian scalper after Asian scalper. It looked like entire families were there. Insane! Two Apple employees came out at about 8:00 am and let people know where the cut off point for the line was. By that time, close to 1,000 people were waiting in line. I was way behind the cut off point, so I just left.

I'm not going to bother to get an iPad anytime soon from any Apple store. It's a waste of time to be spending hours waiting just to come up empty handed. Those scalpers are losers and have nothing better to do with their time than to spend 12 hours waiting each day. They camp out every single day.

I'm thinking about buying up every single chop stick in New York. After that, I will start selling them for $10.00 a stick. That's per single stick, not per pair. That'll teach those scalpers and the chop stick shortage will surely cause them numerous hardships and problems. And it certainly wouldn't be illegal if I did exactly that.

You're right, it wouldn't be illegal if you did that. Just thank god that we're not standing in line for bread... Seriously!
  • Reply 109 of 114
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Aeolian View Post

Just thank god that we're not standing in line for bread... Seriously!

I don't believe in any god, so I'm not sure as to the point that you're trying to make. Are you claiming that I shouldn't be complaining about unscrupulous, organized gangs of misfits who have infiltrated and taken over every single Apple store in New York City? Apple needs to figure out a way to deal with this problem, otherwise they might as well take a sledgehammer to their flagship glass cube store and shut down the rest of the stores in New York City also.

And to those who think that I am somehow exaggerating or making this story up:

Guess what's inside of those bags?

And what I wrote in my original post is now common knowledge everywhere, it's a fact, and it's being reported in numerous publications and all over the internet.

Asian gangs 'clearing out Apple stores of iPad 2 devices before selling them for $1,200 profit'

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencete...#ixzz1GvmMuwan

Asian Scalpers Are Wiping Out Apple's Supply Of iPad 2s In New York

Read more: http://www.businessinsider.com/ipad-...#ixzz1Gvmby6xL

iPad 2 Scalped in New York City

Read more: http://www.webpronews.com/ipad-2-sca...k-city-2011-03

Beware The 200 Scalpers Outside New York’s 5th Ave. Store

Read more: http://www.ihasapple.com/2011/03/17/...5th-ave-store/

I've said this previously, but I wouldn't mind if Apple becomes a little less popular, like it was before.
  • Reply 110 of 114
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Flaneur View Post

deleted

90% of your recent posts are all specifically about me. I would suggest that you get a life and quit stalking. You're coming across as one of those creepy internet stalkers.

• Reply 111 of 114
    Quote:

90% of your recent posts are all specifically about me. I would suggest that you get a life and quit stalking. You're coming across as one of those creepy internet stalkers.

Quite right, old chap. You carry on from here.
  • Reply 112 of 114
    Quote:

The one on Fifth Ave is insane, and don't be surprised if thousands are waiting there with the majority also being sleazy scalpers.

Oh so now you're lumping sleazy people with Azns?
  • Reply 113 of 114
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Apple }{ View Post

As an old China hand, I can tell you that picture speaks volumes to the veracity of what one poster referred to as right off the boat from Mailand China.

Those cheap but durable woven plastic bags (usually in red-white-blue color schemes) can be seen all over the PRC at train stations, bus stops, and on horse-drawn carts. These bags are the main thing that distinguishes the rural people from the city dwellers. I know this from personal experience in working there.
  • Reply 114 of 114
    Quote:

I finally made an effort this morning to get an iPad and was unsuccessful.

I arrived at the first Apple store this morning at 6 am and there were already about 300 people ahead of me in line. It was ridiculous, scalper after scalper. I would venture to guess that at least 75% of the crowd were Asian scalpers. Many of them had probably never even touched a computer before in their entire life. There were lots of real old people waiting also. Then came the announcement that there would be no iPads today at all!

So I jumped in a cab along with a few other people whom I had met on the line and we headed down to another Apple store which was near by. At 6:45 am there were about 400 people ahead in line already. It was also full of Asian scalper after Asian scalper. It looked like entire families were there. Insane! Two Apple employees came out at about 8:00 am and let people know where the cut off point for the line was. By that time, close to 1,000 people were waiting in line. I was way behind the cut off point, so I just left.

I'm not going to bother to get an iPad anytime soon from any Apple store. It's a waste of time to be spending hours waiting just to come up empty handed. Those scalpers are losers and have nothing better to do with their time than to spend 12 hours waiting each day. They camp out every single day.

I'm thinking about buying up every single chop stick in New York. After that, I will start selling them for $10.00 a stick. That's per single stick, not per pair. That'll teach those scalpers and the chop stick shortage will surely cause them numerous hardships and problems. And it certainly wouldn't be illegal if I did exactly that.