Shortages of Apple's iPad and iPhone to bleed into June quarter following Japan tsunami

Comments

• Reply 61 of 114
    mobilememobileme Posts: 288member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mrpoge View Post

Actually, I think the inability to recognize sarcasm will doom the West.

ture.. very uptight... look at the reaction to the individual who shared his experience with scalpers... that post somehow turned into a racist argument, from shallow minded individuals... not all asians are scalpers, not all whites are racist, not all blacks are thugs, not all hispanics are illegal immigrants.

The west and the rest of the world has a prejudice beyond belief.
  • Reply 62 of 114
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AdonisSMU View Post

I think the best solution is to sell the Ipad internationally on the first day. That will give scalpers more options while making it harder to scalp.

I don?t think that would change anything. You?d just have more countries with more people waiting inline for the iPad with even longer ship times for online sales. I think the demand is simply way to high.

How many iPads did they sell this past weekend? 1M? The iPhone 3G was in 17(?) countries on day one, the iPhone 3GS in 5(?) countries, and the iPhone 4 in 1(?) country?

Even this year?s iPad had no early pre-orders and with people ordering in the wee hours of the morning and still ended up getting 2-3 week delivery times. That tells me they wanted to make the retail stores the primary outlets and they still couldn?t meet the needs of those in line. I simply don?t think there is anything Apple could do to satisfy everyone?s interest this close to the launch and production date of the iPad 2.

Even if they stock piled iPad 2s until April I think they would have still sold all they could have hoarded in that time frame.
  • Reply 63 of 114
    adonissmuadonissmu Posts: 1,776member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

98.43% of the scalpers are Asians. Go see for yourself. Start at the beginning of the line and then work your way to the end. All you see are Asians practically. And by Asians I mean Chinese people specifically.

The Chinese guy (who was not a scalper but a Mac fan) who was standing next to me in line said that he chose that specific store because it was farthest away from Chinatown. We had a good laugh when I told him that I had also chosen that store for that exact same reason.

I am going to go in the am and see all these thousands of people who are waiting in line.
  • Reply 64 of 114
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Here?s the difference, his attack wasn?t targeted at the scalpers, but at Asians, hence it?s a racist comment.

Your argument is bullshit, it just so happened that the asians were the majority in line, and as he said not all were scamming, but the ones who were happened to be asian. If he was in line with all africans or hispanics, the same could have been said, he was giving a visual example about his experience.

Not all Asians are scalpers, Not all Africans are Scammers, but when you have a multi cultured society, people actions put them into a category and further into that category the obvious will be mentioned, and that obvious was that they were of asian decent.... he would have been a racist if he said, all chinese were in the line scalping, but he didn't and if he did then that would have been racist.
  • Reply 65 of 114
    Quote:

No they won't. If I was a scalper why would I go to Canada to wait inline for an Ipad when I can do that right here in the US? It doesn't make any sense. You assume that Apple Stores won't get any more Ipads ever. Apple has shipments of Ipads coming in every day.

You're sure getting upset over an innocuous little comment.
  • Reply 66 of 114
    Do you think these Asian scalpers are being paid to stand in line by the real scalpers, or they actually doing this on their own? Either way, they can only get two at a time. I'm just going to order it through Apple on line and just wait.

I can't be bothered fighting through the mess at 5th Ave.
  • Reply 67 of 114
    adonissmuadonissmu Posts: 1,776member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MobileMe View Post

Your argument is bullshit, it just so happened that the asians were the majority in line, and as he said not all were scamming, but the ones who were happened to be asian. If he was in line with all africans or hispanics, the same could have been said, he was giving a visual example about his experience.

Not all Asians are scalpers, Not all Africans are Scammers, but when you have a multi cultured society, people actions put them into a category and further into that category the obvious will be mentioned, and that obvious was that they were of asian decent.... he would have been a racist if he said, all chinese were in the line scalping, but he didn't and if he did then that would have been racist.

Not necessarily if all the chinese in the line were scalping or were believed to be scalping. That's racist. Stating the facts is not racist.
  • Reply 68 of 114
    Quote:

Not necessarily if all the chinese in the line were scalping or were believed to be scalping. That's racist. Stating the facts is not racist.

Chinese? The term asian covers all you don't know if koreans or japanese were in that line.... The poster never said all the people in the line were scalping, he wasn't being racist.
  • Reply 69 of 114
    whozownwhozown Posts: 128member
    At least I got mine on launch day. I'd hate to resort to trampling old ladies. But if that's what has to be done.
  • Reply 70 of 114
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    Quote:

Chinese? The term asian covers all you don't know if koreans or japanese were in that line.... The poster never said all the people in the line were scalping, he wasn't being racist.

Most were Chinese. I can tell the difference between Chinese, Koreans and Japanese. Both from their appearance and also their language. And also, the Chinese guy standing next to me was listening in on them, and he obviously wouldn't have been able to translate if they hadn't been speaking Chinese.
  • Reply 71 of 114
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    This whole desperation for anything new and Apple is getting old after these, oh, past decade of Apple's glory years.

Now we're just left with those new (and desperate to get into) the Apple world and sleazy scalpers.

And in amongst that just decent folk that just want a gawddammned iPad 2!

*SIGH* F this Sh*t

I have no doubt when the apocalypse comes humans will survive somehow. The question is whether you will actually want to be one of the survivors.
  • Reply 72 of 114
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

Most were Chinese. I can tell the difference between Chinese, Koreans and Japanese. Both from their appearance and also their language. And also, the Chinese guy standing next to me was listening in on them, and he obviously wouldn't have been able to translate if they hadn't been speaking Chinese.

These scalpers are probably what we Asians call "FOB" (fresh off the boat)... And if they're mainland Chinese... Oh, boy.
  • Reply 73 of 114
    boeyc15boeyc15 Posts: 986member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lkrupp View Post

.... p.s. What REALLY pises me off is all the Xoom ads flashing around AppleInsider. They're everywhere on this site.

Yea, they do stick out don't they.

Well, I'll get slammed here, but I do think others should at least take a look at XOOM if they cannot get their first choice. Waiting for it ...yea-ouch, hey easy!

As for the parts, well, IMO to soon to tell for the variety of reasons discussed here.

From what I heard, mostly NAND plants up north and they aren't the only ones in the world, and Apple has a lot of pull. Now if there was unique part plants that were hit... that would be a different ball game.

However, if anyone can confirm, commentators mentioned that most of these chip plants in Japan are continous operation plants. When a major earthquake hits, the plants shuts down. If it shuts down, it can take a month or so to get it back up to full speed.
  • Reply 74 of 114
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nvidia2008 View Post

I have no doubt when the apocalypse comes humans will survive somehow. The question is whether you will actually want to be one of the survivors.

The people in northern Japan are dealing with the apocalypse right now... everyone have a good look... imagine if that was everywhere that you looked.

Never fear, though, as long as you have your iPad2 you at least have a weapon... thankfully Jobs wanted it slim, you'll be able to hone that edge razor sharp!
  • Reply 75 of 114
    Quote:

Its called truth bro

Ever notice when one says "it's the truth!!", 99% of the time it's not.\

btw, I have a new found respect for iJustin!!
  • Reply 76 of 114
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ForceQuit View Post

care to explain?? ...maybe its cause you cant
  • Reply 77 of 114
    Quote:

That's the truth!
  • Reply 78 of 114
    Quote:

care to explain?? ...maybe its cause you cant

If you care about life and the quality of life, which is sounds like you do, then you ought to care about the capital markets. Capital provides funds for economic growth, which in turn provides jobs and food on the table for many. Its fine to be idealistic, but we don't live in that kind of world. You can't be pro jobs (and I also assume you are, unless you advocate unemployment) and anti business at the same time. But that's just my opinion. I don't claim to have a monopoly on the truth.
  • Reply 79 of 114
    Quote:

If you care about life and the quality of life, which is sounds like you do, then you ought to care about the capital markets. Capital provides funds for economic growth, which in turn provides jobs and food on the table for many. Its fine to be idealistic, but we don't live in that kind of world. You can't be pro jobs (and I also assume you are, unless you advocate unemployment) and anti business at the same time. But that's just my opinion. I don't claim to have a monopoly on the truth.

I believe in the balance, and according to the article, the Apple Shareholders are more interested with $$$ then life.

If you put emphasis on the all mighty currency then your perspective on life is skewed. Also, money is necessary because, that money is being sent to help aid the Japanese, and other countries around the world who need help.

My beef is with the greedy hungry Apple shareholders and anyone else who values money over life.
  • Reply 80 of 114
    cvaldes1831cvaldes1831 Posts: 1,832member
    Quote:

I believe in the balance, and according to the article, the Apple Shareholders are more interested with $$$ then life.

If you put emphasis on the all mighty currency then your perspective on life is skewed. Also, money is necessary because, that money is being sent to help aid the Japanese, and other countries around the world who need help.

My beef is with the greedy hungry Apple shareholders and anyone else who values money over life.

Expecting every single entity on this planet to provide all the needs for a balanced existence is naive.

AAPL shareholders should expect Apple Inc. to be focused about profitability of their computer and consumer electronics sales. That's what they do. Apple can't cure AIDS or eliminate the world hunger. Neither can Dell, neither can Amazon, neither can Microsoft.

I will bluntly point out that Apple is collecting donations for the American Red Cross through the largest digital media store on this planet, waiving their 30% cut. It's not like they aren't making an effort to help. Note that they also market Product Red iPods, for AIDS relief.